Gaming Most hyped but ultimately disappointing game you’ve played

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'm not a huge gamer but I was crazy excited for Hogwarts legacy.

The map is amazing but whoever wrote the story line and the tasks needs shooting. Joining in latter school years, how easy the spells are to learn, repetitive nature of it all. The only decent bit is dueling.

Why on earth would you not of just done a story about a kid starting school in 1st year and progressing though the years once you managed to pass exams, get selected for the quidditch team, matches etc.

Yea 1 - first visits to Diagon Alley for stuff, shit goes down at the bank, School year, learn to fly, learn some spells and stuff, thwart some form of baddie, exams to pass the year.

Year 2 - Back to school, Forbidden Forrest, loads of magic creatures stuff, Quidditch try outs etc, More spells, A who do it / Animagus style baddie.

Year 3 - Quidditch matches, Hogsmeade, Dementors etc

Year 4 - Quidditch world cup etc etc

Year 5 - Triwizard tournament year

Etc etc

It could have been so good, and they fecked it.
Because it’s fecking repetitive. They’re not going to develop unique content for each year.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Cyberpunk 2077
I feel at launch yeah. Considering that many including myself thought that tw3 was the best game ever its a step down but imo better than any Gta games after all the patches.

HookedOnAPhelan

I feel at launch yeah. Considering that many including myself thought that tw3 was the best game ever its a step down but imo better than any Gta games after all the patches.
Maybe, I haven't played it since release. But the bugs weren't the main reason why I thought CP2077 was disappointing at launch, it was because the game was nothing like what had been promised by CDPR. The physics and the AI was just laughable too.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maybe, I haven't played it since release. But the bugs weren't the main reason why I thought CP2077 was disappointing at launch, it was because the game was nothing like what had been promised by CDPR. The physics and the AI was just laughable too.

I was always after the main story and significant side quests. The writing and the characters were always the selling point for me. Its not S tier, but i had more fun than in any GTA game. Considering the hype though. Well if it was supposed to top tw3 they failed

Hughes35

Because it’s fecking repetitive. They’re not going to develop unique content for each year.
It's not unique content though, same buildings, same environment etc. Just gives the story some context.

The storyline on Legacy is nonsensical.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Oh, definitely. Had big hopes for that game. The previews looked great and it seemed like they captured the essence of James Cameron's blockbuster sequel.

Delved into the game again during Christmas. Its improved, no doubt. But it still feels cold to me.
Such a disappointment because I genuinely think TW3 is probably pound for pound my no.1 of all time (think Baldurs Gate could pip it if it gets some DLC)

Stacks

Cyberpunk at launch. Discovered it in 2018. Waited 2 years, pre ordered it. Bought it in Autumn 2020. Was only able to actually give it a try early 2022. Really got into it September 2023. So thats 3 years after release, until I had a game I truly enjoyed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
  • Watchdogs. They went above and beyond hyping this as a paradigm shift in gaming. Enormous letdown.
  • Cyberpunk. I partially upgraded my GPU for this in anticipation of a gaming phenomenon. What came out was unplayable dross I’ve never been back to.
  • PES on ps3. From a near perfect game on PS2, the franchise just nosedived per year with the switch.
  • Fighter’s Destiny. The company used supercomputer gfx only during build up to launch and swore the game would look like that on the n64… what came out was a steaming pile of turd with Lego block graphics.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
PES on the ps3/360 was just a absolute disaster, especially when Fifa was finally getting its act together.
PES on the ps4 wasn't too bad though.

Simbo

The latest Battlefield game, thankfully I realised while I could still refund it in full.

Diablo 4 however conned us into thinking it was ok well past the refund time, before everyone realised there's no point to it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Need for Speed Underground (2003). It was so bad I don't think I actually bought another game until around 2015.
:O

It was an amazing game. Maybe you weren't into the whole illegal racing craze that started after the Fast and Furious movie but NFS Underground not only captured that cultural scene brilliantly but also was a great game on it's own. So many new game mechanics like modding your car with purely aesthetic items and then the drag and drift races, both fun in their own right and something I don't think any other game did before.

Following that to with NFS underground 2, man those games were brilliant.

Abizzz

:O

It was an amazing game. Maybe you weren't into the whole illegal racing craze that started after the Fast and Furious movie but NFS Underground not only captured that cultural scene brilliantly but also was a great game on it's own. So many new game mechanics like modding your car with purely aesthetic items and then the drag and drift races, both fun in their own right and something I don't think any other game did before.

Following that to with NFS underground 2, man those games were brilliant.
Fast and furious was the petrol head equivalent of vanilla ice to me. I played it one disappointing weekend 21 years ago so forgive me if I'm wrong, but the drifting was so bad it made Tony Hawk (original) look like a physics simulation.

Now that I know others actually cared for the game I wish I had flogged it on to someone. Come to think of it, I probably still have it somewhere. Anyone interested for 40 €?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Probably gonna make some enemies with this one but.....Mass Effect.

Just couldn't get into them. Game mechanics felt clunky and maybe bc I've since become a wee bit older ..way too much dialog to fight through.

Also: Diablo 4.

Handré1990

Heroes of might and magic 4
Heroes of might and magic 5
Heroes of might and magic 6
Heroes of might and magic 7

If there ever comes an 8, highly unlikely, it will be the same. I Will be superhyped hoping for something at least half as good as Heroes of might and magic 3, only to find out its as good as fecking a anthive.
Woooooow! Another HoMM3 fanatic? You know the Russians dropped Factory faction on the January 2nd? I just assume you already have HotA? Totally agree re the rest of the series. I wanted to cru when I tried HoMM4 first time.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Death Stranding - walking simulator with zero story.

Final Fantasy IX - derivative gameplay and overall just weird.

Gran Turismo (any of them) - just slow/boring, not even that realistic. Needs to copy Need For Speed next time.

Any Mario or Zelda games - childish, pointless wastes of time. Every game is identical.

TLOU 2 - could've been decent if it wasn't for Cuckman's forced agenda.

BootsyCollins

Woooooow! Another HoMM3 fanatic? You know the Russians dropped Factory faction on the January 2nd? I just assume you already have HotA? Totally agree re the rest of the series. I wanted to cru when I tried HoMM4 first time.
Yes absolutley. Always nice to find a fellow fan of the greatest game ever made.
I had no idea about the factory faction. I have played HotA alot, but since november i have mostly downloaded maps for TSoD and just enjoyed playing slowly. With the music and sounds loud. Got damn i love that game so much :lol:
Sometimes i just listen to this on the background when i am home :

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
  • Watchdogs. They went above and beyond hyping this as a paradigm shift in gaming. Enormous letdown.
  • Cyberpunk. I partially upgraded my GPU for this in anticipation of a gaming phenomenon. What came out was unplayable dross I’ve never been back to.
  • PES on ps3. From a near perfect game on PS2, the franchise just nosedived per year with the switch.
  • Fighter’s Destiny. The company used supercomputer gfx only during build up to launch and swore the game would look like that on the n64… what came out was a steaming pile of turd with Lego block graphics.
This, a thousand times. I was so hyped for how amazing it would be considering how great it is on the PS2. But fecking hell, what a travesty, everything about the game was woeful and personally, it never recovered from then on.

Glad its dead.

Mike Smalling

Yes absolutley. Always nice to find a fellow fan of the greatest game ever made.
I had no idea about the factory faction. I have played HotA alot, but since november i have mostly downloaded maps for TSoD and just enjoyed playing slowly. With the music and sounds loud. Got damn i love that game so much :lol:
So freakin’ good.

Woodzy

This, a thousand times. I was so hyped for how amazing it would be considering how great it is on the PS2. But fecking hell, what a travesty, everything about the game was woeful and personally, it never recovered from then on.

Glad its dead.
I disagree, I think it mostly went under the radar because of how bad the PS3 ones were and how good Fifa had become but PES 17-21 were really enjoyable (some more than others).

They were let down by lacklustre offline modes which have none become almost non-existent in eFootball (which is also a very good football game btw, just annoying pay to win nonsense).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I disagree, I think it mostly went under the radar because of how bad the PS3 ones were and how good Fifa had become but PES 17-21 were really enjoyable (some more than others).

They were let down by lacklustre offline modes which have none become almost non-existent in eFootball (which is also a very good football game btw, just annoying pay to win nonsense).
To be honest, I never cared for online modes in football games. I've played them and I can't remember what year I played PES or what console (ps3/4) where I tried online and every fecker was either Real Madrid or Barcelona. So much so, one of my favourite online memories is playing something like 5 defenders, 4 holding mids and a right winger as Legia Warsaw against Real Madrid and scumming a 1-0 win. I cleared the ball each time I had it and won due to the other player trying to draw me out by purposely conceding a corner - which I then scored from. Don't think I played online again after that.

I mainly just wanted a functional offline mode (which I still play on the PS2). Unfortunately they never matched the PS2 version for that. There was a year where I really enjoyed the Be a Legend mode though, but they never put any effort into updating it and I assume it died in later versions.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Big fan of Heroes III, even now I have it installed and I play from time to time. I remember playing with friends, first locally which came with some drawbacks then with LAN, such beautiful nights.
The following entries have been big disappointments.

Nowadays I know what to expect so I don't get fooled into thinking a game is better than it actually is, before playing it. I don't even touch what I am not 100% sure I'll enjoy.
Surprised to see many disappointed by GTA V, I really liked it, though it was great.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Horizon games. I think they’re rubbish, generic and contain way too much dialogue.

Bole Top

Silent Hill 4 the Room was pretty big disappointment for me after flawless first three games. bad controls with somehow worse graphics than in previous games, and in general it felt like it wasn't part of the series at all.

Oblivion was good... just not interesting enough to spend countless hours on it like I did with Morrowind.

Mortal Kombat DA was the start of slow and "realistic" MK games which never made sense to me so I never really got into them. the whole point of it was that it was always over the top compared to Virtua Fighter and Tekken. we used to play fighting games in my house regularly when I was younger, but literally no one wanted to play that one.

SW: KOTOR. It looked like a game that was made for me, but I couldn't feel a thing playing it. I completed NWN about 10 times, but KOTOR I gave up early every time.

pretty much every PES on PS3 and later. it's actually crazy how rarely we used to reach for it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Silent Hill 4 the Room was pretty big disappointment for me after flawless first three games. bad controls with somehow worse graphics than in previous games, and in general it felt like it wasn't part of the series at all.

Oblivion was good... just not interesting enough to spend countless hours on it like I did with Morrowind.

Mortal Kombat DA was the start of slow and "realistic" MK games which never made sense to me so I never really got into them. the whole point of it was that it was always over the top compared to Virtua Fighter and Tekken. we used to play fighting games in my house regularly when I was younger, but literally no one wanted to play that one.

SW: KOTOR. It looked like a game that was made for me, but I couldn't feel a thing playing it. I completed NWN about 10 times, but KOTOR I gave up early every time.

pretty much every PES on PS3 and later. it's actually crazy how rarely we used to reach for it.
Wow.

@Revan

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Big fan of Heroes III, even now I have it installed and I play from time to time. I remember playing with friends, first locally which came with some drawbacks then with LAN, such beautiful nights.
The following entries have been big disappointments.

Nowadays I know what to expect so I don't get fooled into thinking a game is better than it actually is, before playing it. I don't even touch what I am not 100% sure I'll enjoy.
Surprised to see many disappointed by GTA V, I really liked it, though it was great.
It’s just such a poor story and none of the characters have any depth what so ever. Compare it to the story in either red dead or iv and it’s just a bloated crap show.

you ask most people what the most memorable mission in that game is and I bet it’s either the boat heist mission or Trevor’s introduction where he kills JK(feck off with spoilers, the game is 10 years old) and it’s merely for the shock factor to see a main rockstar protagonist get disposed of so quickly.

Handré1990

Oh wow! Don’t think I’ve spoke to you before on here, but you’re now my favorite poster of all time!:drool: :lol: I absolutely love the music in this game, I actually just did a Jebus Cross with three friends yesterday, and we all agreed the music and mood for the new faction is beyond perfect! It was about time too, since we’ve played A LOT since the HotA mod. No new artifacts so far this time around, but the Factory faction will bring this game back for me in 2024!

It’s the game I’ve played the most in total for sure. Played it when I was 11 yo first time, didn’t really get it but loved it! Then we brought it back first year at Uni and realized it’s a helluva lot of substance underneath the beautiful and brilliant surface.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's not unique content though, same buildings, same environment etc. Just gives the story some context.

The storyline on Legacy is nonsensical.
But you are literally asking for unique content with the storyline having you do different things!

The background is the easy part because they can reuse assets, but literally everything else you’re asking for would require much more development.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Easily Starfield for me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's why people still play Classic. Literally a 20 year old game, but they just got so many mechanics and reward structures right the first time.
Agreed on the WoW expansions. Only ones I've enjoyed post Lich King are Pandaria and Dragonflight, but as decent as the latter is, I can't help but feel like the game has been perpetually ruined by catering towards competitive/e-sports culture. The game is now nothing but a cesspit of world first races, and pandering to the toxic, elitist realm of mythic plus. LFR is a nice touch, but there's pretty much nothing to do for a casual player once you've exhausted those.

I'm tempted to try the new season of discovery twist on classic though.
I bought those expansions because they always do a good job when it comes making a trailer/intro cinematics but I didn't even play that much, I mostly just afk and chat with some old friends that were still playing. And yeah the rewards, gearing system and Mythic Plus + Esports kinda ruined it. They're tuning Mythic raids for world first raiders who were invited to beta test the fight. How the feck are we supposed to beat them then? we didn't even get to test the beta and we have a life. The bar is so high for the most difficult contents, that I used to live for because I love the excitements but I'm not raiding anymore, it's not worth it. Nowadays you need 25 addons just to get through a mechanic and that is with horn and fart sound effects to notify you of what's going on because you can't notice it on the screen anymore, everything is so cluttered with shit. LFR is good if you care only about transmog and cutscenes.

It used to be that addons are extra information on the screen. These days the gameplay and animations are the extra information, all you need is to keep track of DBM and all those addons.

Last edited:

Bobade

Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I kept hearing great things about this series and I finally bought in when I got a Switch.

I was bored senseless playing it.
It's dreadful really. I play it with my son sometimes. There's basically nothing interesting to do on the game once you have unlocked all the characters, which you can do easily by just going in the unlock mode and playing one button mashing match after another.

Agree with anyone saying GTAIV. The story was actually decent, but it didn't seem to capture any kind of vibe like Vice City or San Andreas did. Those games had much more personality. The driving was also so wank. As I recall, they'd tried to make it a bit more realistic and less arcadey, but just sucked the fun out of it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Like many have mentioned. When PES moved to the Xbox 360/PS3 generation. I had only recently moved to playing PES/WE, started from WE7 after years of playing FIFA, and absolutely loved them so was naturally looking forward to every new addition of the game. What made the PES2008 game worse was that PES6 was the best one I'd played and therefore the hype for the next game was more.

Such a freaking horrible game, everything from the gameplay down the ear bleeding music and commentary (cause we're gonna play football, soccer! Football, soccer! All around the world). PES has never recovered from them, there was promise in the middle with some of the games in late 2010's but that hope has now completely gone with this new eFootball travesty.

Btw, while I mention the first PES/WE game I played was WE7. I had no idea I International Superstar Soccer on the SNES was from the same series until much later, absolutely loved that game as well :D

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I remember being completely underwhelmed by Watchdogs.

Had the E3 trailer not existed I think I would have enjoyed it more. But expectations were made and it just didn't deliver.