Mourinho extends contract to 2020 (option for a further year as standard)

greggsy

This has pretty much been a perfekt week so far. First Sanchez, now Mourihno, add to that a lovely Swansea win over the scouse, and a win tomorrow and I will be buzzing for a week. I also won 12 pounds at the lottery:D

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Great news. Really good statement from him as well. Onwards and upwards back to the top!

wolvored

Not much of an extension. Was there not already an option of a further year? All this is is an option of a further year after the initial option of a further year was taken up.
The club dont want to get burned in case it all ends in tears. Hes never gone past 3 years

Morpheus 7

It's fantastic for stability going forward, we are definitely progressing. I think it's well deserved. Each window we are getting stronger, wiping out the dead wood as best he can. Depay, Bastian, Morgan and more will follow. I have complete trust in Jose bringing us back to the top. It's easy to forget how poor we were under the last two managers. We are now able to get the best players around now. In Lvg it was an unfocused mess in the market, while on the pitch we couldn't score a goal with his side to side rubbish. Moyes is not worth talking about. We look a well organized side that don't look like ever conceding much, one that is now starting to develop a class counter attack. He's tactically the best manager around in my opinion. He's a very intelligent coach, deserves way more credit.

He took over a side, mentally very week despite winning the FA cup. We have been building from the back in a pragmatic approach, maybe negative but pragmatic with a long term vision in mind. It's about getting a good foundation and building further up top then. He's gave us a defensive discipline and shape. If you just focus on being top heavy you win nothing i.e Klopp. A bunch of clowns pressing and then getting completely exposed at the back. At the start of the season we were blowing teams away goal-wise. It's still not perfect when you depend on younger players but the progress is starting to show. He's getting the correct age balance/leaders in Matic and now Sanchez. We are getting closer to having the perfect balance. We have seen it click at the start of the season, goalwise. I think one or two additions in the Summer and we are capable of winning any major trophy. I feel the ship is finally stabilizing since Fergie left and real success is coming. I'm very optimistic of what Jose and Manchester United can achieve in the future.

Hojoon

Not much of an extension. Was there not already an option of a further year? All this is is an option of a further year after the initial option of a further year was taken up.
Yeah, I'm guessing the club is wary of Mourinho's third year history. In case things go south this means the compensation won't be insane.

hn4manunited

Great news on the extension. I am happy, not ecstatic about the 1+1 year extension. I was hoping for a longer extension like at least a 2+1 would have signaled a bit more stability. It just shows how short-term football has become these days.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Going for a longer extension simply doesn't make financial sense with a manager. Good move all round for everyone involved.

svn

This is even bigger and better news than the Sanchez signing. Fantastic.

spwd

Great news, but im sure theres quite a few on here that wont be happy, do we need a poll?

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
If I was a top manager I would only consider a three or four year rolling contract with built in salary increases. It is much better for the clubs stability and also protects the manager from financial hardship if he is fired. It also prevents any media speculation regarding contracts, which is a huge benefit for all concerned.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
Some very positive comments from him and it's the right way of extending contracts. 1+1. He seems happy with the transfers and the squad in general. We obviously have a long way to go but Sanchez signing will have a huge weight on everyone's mind (Jose, Pogba, De Gea) as much as it would on the pitch. I think it will clear a lot of doubts about our long term goals, it's clear that we are definitely on the way up and trying to get on the same footing as other football giants. We have an elitist touch to the squad with De Gea, Pogba and Sanchez potentially starting for everyone team in the world and with a lot of young talent and maturity in the right dose.

Hope he is here for a long time and we can continue getting better under him as I feel he is the best and the only right man for the job. We are perfect for him, he has a reign over everything and he is perfect for us.

Reactions: Sultan

Denis79

Lovely Jubbly! We are slowly but surely rebuilding after a few years of neglect. Our signing lately are solid, show intention and people who said Mourinho is stubborn are in the wrong. He has no problem benching / selling his own signings or players out of form despite the opinions of the media or fans, On top of that he handled the Rooney situation in a superb way. Brought us trophies and made us competetive again. Good days to come people.

TheReligion

Abusive
So what does this actually change? Other than, presumably, give him a nice little bump in his salary.
I think what it does mean is give us stability and that is very important when it comes to signing new players, who potentially like working with Jose, and renewing important contacts, like that of DDG.

Uncertainty in the work place can be a terrible thing (look at what's going on at Chelsea).

EyeInTheSky

Surprised at the low-key reaction by some here. It's a symbolic move as well as an intelligent, practical one. It silences the rumours that Mourinho wants to go to PSG and it adds to the sense of something being built here with Sanchez signing earlier this week. Mourinho gets some financial reward for the good work he has done, we get a bit of added security without committing ourselves to a Moyes-style contract length.
Psychological move that will tip ped over the edge into another meltdown when he knows he won't get any more time :devil:

Adebesi

I was kind of expecting him to extend for slightly longer to be honest. But I guess it makes sense to keep rolling it while everyone is happy and keep the compensation package when he does eventually go to a minimum. Good news.

Nikelesh Reddy

Excellent news.I"ve said it a thousand times before and I"ll say it again,there isn't a better manager available or attainable in the world.We have to stand by Jose and we need to give him the time and the space to bring some stability back to this club.

diplomat

Great news, lets see if he can break is cycle of being a genius then twat.
I had the same worry but it feels that despite a few setbacks this and last season, Mourinho is actually growing into the job, instead of his usual fallouts with everyone everywhere.

We are also progressing in both squad quality and pitch performances, so I believe the tides are turning in ours and Jose's favour.