Mourinho is our best option

Ban

Because it’s a lot harder for him to win anything than a United manager.

For example, he’s done a better job than either Mourinho or LVG, but they both have trophies.
How is it harder?
Is his team worse than United's?
Also strange to say he's done a better job. Sure he got Spurs 2 times in CL, good achievement but he should be winning stuff by now. It's not that he has a crap team or anything.

Last edited:

steffyr2

How is it harder?
Also strange to say he's done a better job. Sure he got Spurs 2 times in CL, good achievement but he should be winning stuff by now. It's not that he has a crap team or anything.
He probably doesn't have quite the same supply of spoiled & entitled fans egging him on every day. That's got to make a difference!

shaky

Because it’s a lot harder for him to win anything than a United manager.

For example, he’s done a better job than either Mourinho or LVG, but they both have trophies.
LVG won his trophy against Crystal Palace, who knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup that year. Jose won the Europa League, generally considered an easy win given the standard of competition Utd ever faced, yet Spurs had that same opportunity for easy glory and fell at the first knockout round hurdle, losing to Gent over 2 legs. Spurs failure to win trophies isn't down to being handicapped against big teams, it's down to constantly bottling it in situations where they should do better.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
José is our best option, he has the best track record out of anyone, how on earth people can be putting forth Potch I have no idea.

Judas

Open to offers
Spurs are more than good enough to win trophies, until they start, I don't have any interest in Potch. The spineless bottling has to come from somewhere, maybe he's partly at fault.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How is it harder?
Look at his wage bill compared to Uniteds.

ravikiran

i think we should bring Eddie Howe, his attacking side is joy to watch.

Cardiff_Boy

Sure it is not working out for him at the moment, I still think Mourinho is the man to sort the team out

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Potch has not won any trophies, similarly to Klopp at Liverpool, we should only go after people who have a history of doing well, and winning trophies.

Why anyone would be okay with an appointment of someone who hasn't won anything, after the time we did so with Moyes is mind boggling.

YankeeDevilDandy

When Mourinho goes we need to employ a director of football to create a playing style that we can stick to, and recruit accordingly.
This cannot be emphasized enough, but this needs to happen before Mourinho goes IMO. This is how City got so far ahead. It prevents haphazard signings that don't really fit together. As an organization, a style of play needs to be decided upon, and then managers and players that fit that philosophy need to be brought in.

We might not be able to spend *quite* as much as City, but can come close enough as to makes no difference. Need to be signing more younger players and developing them then relying on 1-2 marquee signings every year.

ravikiran

Everytime I think Positive on match day, it sinks me how we play..I am fine even if we loose but not how we play...i am more biased to possession based football

Suedesi

Can't resist lists, so I'm going to try even though I definitely don't think there are 10 better managers. So, here goes:

- Pep (such a surprising choice)
- Simeone (seems like he's pretty 'ard)
- Zidane (doing quite well with such a small club)
- Poch (woo Spurs M I RITE)
- Heynckess (Bayern seems pretty good)
- Giovanni van Bronckhorst (we won the league YEAAAAH)
- Whoever is managing Juventus
- Big Sam (innit)
- Ancelotti (such a great people manager blabla)
- Joachim Low (boogerman)

There, I did it, bulletproof list!
If you really wanted this to be controversial, you missed out on mentioning Klopp higher than Jose.

My rating of top 3 coaches in the world:

1. Guardiola
2. Simeone
3. Mourinho

followed by Zidane, Jardim, Klopp, Conte, Pocchetino, Sarri and Allegri in the top 10.

Water Melon

Clear progress and second best team in England? Not now. We look knackered and I pray so are Everton. Otherwise, we could be well in a top 4 fight. Woody and Glazers surely have some questions for Mou?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
A thought; When you look at our line-up plus the subs its the most talented team we have had in 5 years.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Realistically who could we get though?

Sarri: Would mean starting all over, since his tactic is possession based
Ancelotti: Probably past it, not a very good league manager
Simeone: If you think you were bored by LvG and Mourinho, then prepare for the next level
Jardim: Not a bad option, not very experienced at the very top level though

It is a very narrow market for managers out there.

Sagittarius13

I'd say Ancelotti but I'd rather have Simeone, just I don't see him leaving Atletico anytime soon.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Since you've been able to watch 90 minutes of our game (feck me if you would, if it was reversed), it won't be hard to stay and watch a post-match interview.
Heh I'm in the boozer and the channel has been switched to the darts so any news on the blame game will be gratefully recieved

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There is no other option at the moment.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Realistically who could we get though?

Sarri: Would mean starting all over, since his tactic is possession based
Ancelotti: Probably past it, not a very good league manager
Simeone: If you think you were bored by LvG and Mourinho, then prepare for the next level
Jardim: Not a bad option, not very experienced at the very top level though

It is a very narrow market for managers out there.
Also don't think Sarri speaks English and looks like he won't be leaving Napoli anytime soon. Like you said Ancelotti and Simeone shouldn't even be in contention. Jardim is interesting, going by last season he was very good but this season their performance in CL is very poor.

If we even get rid of Jose, we should go for Poch.

Snafu17

As much as I don't exactly trust Mourinhos ability to get out of shit situations we can either go ahead and sack him (either now or at the end of the season), try our luck, randomly pick in the pool of probably-to-possibly unsuitable managers that are or will be available at the end of the season oooor just give the cnut time till the end of his contract and try to plan ahead if we have to let him go at the end of it. We have chosen the first option the last time round we had a particularly a shit December (and the time before that) and it brought us to another shit December (in admittedly a bit better position).

Either way the immediate future will probably be shit but that's football for you.

Last edited:

walkinhop

He probably doesn't have quite the same supply of spoiled & entitled fans egging him on every day. That's got to make a difference!
Some posts are quite interesting. Substitute spoiled and entitled with demanding and competitive and maybe you can see the fault in the argument. Some people simply want to achieve more.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There is no other option at the moment.
This. And even if there were, I hate the idea of us just chopping and changing at the first sign of trouble. We invested in Mourinho who has a clear footballing philosophy, even if it isn't what we're used to or settling in as quickly as hoped. If we were more settled/established Ancelotti might not be a bad stop-gap but we're not.

Let Mourinho do his thing for the time we promised him and go from there. I'd love to see us invest in some off-field footballing roles so there's a clearer ethos at the club for when we do inevitably change manager again in the next few seasons.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This. And even if there were, I hate the idea of us just chopping and changing at the first sign of trouble. We invested in Mourinho who has a clear footballing philosophy, even if it isn't what we're used to or settling in as quickly as hoped. If we were more settled/established Ancelotti might not be a bad stop-gap but we're not.

Let Mourinho do his thing for the time we promised him and go from there. I'd love to see us invest in some off-field footballing roles so there's a clearer ethos at the club for when we do inevitably change manager again in the next few seasons.
Yeah agree let him see out his 3 years then make a decision.

rpitchfo

What a horrible situation to be in...today I finally came to the conclusion as I did with Moyes and LVG that Jose isn't the man for the job. The awful problem is that with Moyes and LVG I was screaming out for Jose! Now we have no where to go and we are left with a man who has forgotten how to do a job that used to come easy to him...with absolutely no other good options anywhere. Wenger?

DdeGoat

Looked as clueless as Moyes and Van Gaal did when they hit our December-January catastrophe. Really worried. If not him, then who? This club needs a fecking plan or we are going down the Liverpool way.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
For those wanting him out, a couple of questions

1. When would you let him go?
2. Who would you replace him with?
3. What would your expectations for them be in their first 3 seasons?

This are genuine questions. I'd like to understand a different viewpoint from mine.