Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canagel

Absolutely Pogba

We have seen the level of performances he can produce at the World Cup. Mourinho's job is to get the best out of him and he's failing to do so.

If Pogba was under a Zidane, Poch, Klopp, Pep or any other top level manager he'd be in the top ten category of best players in the world.
he was voted into the world's best 11 aged 21. The prime Pogba would be up for the ballon dor if he was being managed by other top coaches.

Bwuk

I’m sorry but for me Pogba in the right side can be the best midfielder in the world.

He was unstoppable at the World Cup.

No brainier. Pogba over Mourinho.

Mainoldo

fair enough, over a manager that has stabilised the club and is regarded as world class.
I don’t think he’s world class anymore. 3 years at all his clubs with repeated patterns of failure. I don’t think it’s the players that need to level up it’s actually him. He talked about leaving a legacy with one club, what he forgot to do however was to evolve as a manager. You can’t do the same thing that gets you the sack 3 times out of 5 (I don’t know what happened at Benfica) and not look at yourself.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pretty obvious that Pogba is more valuable.

Pogba is proven at the top level; he was part of a fantastic Juventus team for multiple years. Mourinho is in the second half of his United life cycle, the best you'll get out of him is 4 years.

Sack Mourinho and get Allegri who is accustomed to Pogba already.

Jib

Not defending Mourinho, but Deschamps used Pogba very similarly to how Mourinho does mostly.

Though there is a difference of personnel involved as well of course.
Deschamps benched Pogba for a few games and threw him under the bus ?

Hell no...

And France has Griezmann and Mbappe, you can't built the team around Pogba with this two... but here he's by far the best player, the team should be build around him. But Mourinho did the opposite !!

And that's why he respects Deschamps and hates Mourinho.

Greck

What an absurd poll. Pogba just came off winning a World Cup and Mourinho has come off a horrible pre season. Why not wait till Pogba has his inevitable horrible 3-5 games and make this poll?
Jose will be the one to cup blame if Pogba and Sanchez continue looking gash under him while we carry over the same disjointed attack from last season. And tbf going off our preseason the last part already seems to be happening. Pogba really cleared doubts with his WC as he continues to shine everywhere but Manchester

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

Pogba is proven at the top level; he was part of a fantastic Juventus team for multiple years. Mourinho is in the second half of his United life cycle, the best you'll get out of him is 4 years.

This. If Mourinho had us in a position of strength it might be different, but as things stand right now in a straight choice it has to be Pogba.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This. If Mourinho had us in a position of strength it might be different, but as things stand right now in a straight choice it has to be Pogba.
If Mourinho had just come in, and Pogba angled for a move after playing at United for a few years then it would be a good way to finance a rebuild of the squad. But he's the face of the club on a long contract, he is part of the rebuild.

Selling Pogba would move us back multiple years.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If Mourinho had just come in, and Pogba angled for a move after playing at United for a few years then it would be a good way to finance a rebuild of the squad. But he's the face of the club on a long contract, he is part of the rebuild.

Selling Pogba would move us back multiple years.
The club know this I think, maybe Raiola is trying to pressure us to move on Jose? Wouldn't be surprised at all.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The club know this I think, maybe Raiola is trying to pressure us to move on Jose? Wouldn't be surprised at all.
Doubt it, Raiola doesn't care about that stuff. He does this with all of his clients, aggressive action in the transfer market to get better contracts or a transfer.

Considering Raiola offered Pogba to Man City; it's almost certainly a ploy for a better contract. Pogba would never be sold to City and he doesn't even want to go there since he's an academy product, so the only purpose for that is to show that Pogba can get better wages elsewhere and clubs are willing to buy him if he wants to leave.

3pwood

Imagine choosing an underperforming (albeit potentially great) player over the fecking manager of the club!!! :lol:
The other way around, managers get sacked all the time, there's no way anyone here can be 100% sure Mourinho will stay until the end of the season, results will decide that, but with players it's a completely different matter. Pogba (and IMO the whole squad) would play much better with a different and capable manager.

marc1_007

I am not Martial's biggest fan at the moment for his pre-season behaviour, but Pogba is well on his way to being a top three midfielder in the world and he does not want to play for Mourinho, and after watching the whole pre-season where we spent ninety minutes defending against the likes of Liverpool, Madrid, and Bayern, and we can't complain that we did not have our players because Liverpool tore us up when they took their starters off. But if we are going to spend the whole season with 11 behind the ball against any half decent opponent then Sack Mourinho and go get Zidane now.
We have a spine of De Gea, Bailly £30m, Lindelöf £32m, Pogba £90m, Matic £40m, Fred£52m, Lukaku £75-90m as well as 500k/week Sanchez. If you cannot build a winning team with this core, then you are not a good manager and bringing in any other central defender or right sided player is not going to stop us from putting all 11 behind the ball. I mean in what world do you get rid of a 22yr old potential world class player for a 30yr old. With Zidane at least we know he has a pedigree of winning 3 champions league in the last 4 years and he is respected by most of todays generation especially his French compatriots.

Womp

idiot
Pogba. I like Jose but his time so far here has been underwhelming, he's capable of much better, or at least he use to be, this season will show whether he's still got it or whether he needs to be fecked off.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Definitely Paul Pogba. He's an incredible talent who could be one of the driving forces towards success in the future albiet he hasn't done it for us yet. Jose has pedigree but brings no joy to the table at United and I have doubts over how good he is these days. Nor am I convinced he fits a huge club. Also, it appears every darn player I enjoy watching at United, the kind you tune in for - Pogba and Martial - has some sort of problem with him.

Easy choice - Pogba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
he was voted into the world's best 11 aged 21. The prime Pogba would be up for the ballon dor if he was being managed by other top coaches.
Not sure about up for Balon Dor. He has to take responsibility for his Manchester United performances as well. Neither Jose nor Pogba can be absolved for that. But yes I do think he would do better under a tactically more progressive manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Said manager is underperforming too. Depends on whether you think the manager is underperforming because of his players or vice versa. Looks like a clear majority on the Caf think the latter.
Tangible wise jose isn't underperforming. Finishing 2nd against the 100pts record breaking city isn't a bad job at any stretch.

The fans made it looks like jose is finishing midtable with a dressing room revolt

Hawks2008

Only bootlickers would vote Mourinho. This is an easy choice and any sane person would take Pogba.

RedCurry

I have nothing personally against Mourinho. If we were playing good brand of football and competing for trophies then this poll would’ve been much closer. If Mourinho goes on the create history with us like he did with Chelsea, I am pretty sure the numbers would be heavily stacked in his favor.

ash_86

Mourinho staying or not, Pogba will not sign a new contract. His agent is too cunning to keep him at the this club if he could instead fill his pocket with a transfer. Barca already knocking, it's just a matter of time before he goes there or Paris.

ErranMorad

If someone did some digging and plotted a timeline of how events have unfolded since Pogba's arrival, a significant marker will be when we signed Alexis. Before his arrival everything was hunky dory. In the beginning Jose mentioned how Pogba could be a BPIW contender if people didn't prefer to vote for attackers. During the last two seasons he hasmentioned multiple times how we are different team with or without Pogba. How everyone was jealous of the money Pogba makes. He was all praise for Pogba and Pogba was dismissive of our defensive style and pointed out how we won three trophies in the first season.

Then we signed Alexis on a massive contract & made him our marquee player. IIRC, Pogba was injured at the time. But that didn't stop from all the reports of the rift between the manager and the player. Jose benched Pogba for McTommy for a couple of games. He talked about humble players who aren't flashy or something along those lines. Pep blurted out in one of the pressers that Mino offered Pogba to them (Yeah, the same Mino who has nothing but nasty things to say about Pep). And now this.

What I am trying to point out is, that this, imo, is Mino trying to get a Pogba a bumper pay raise to bring him closer to Alexis' contract. He wants parity both in terms of pay and status for Pogba. This is similar to the contracts tactics that we see play out every season with Ronaldo & Messi's contracts.

"Pogba or Mourinho?" is the wrong question. The right question to ask is, "New bumper contract for Pogba or not?".

Reactions: SteveJ

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
The question is Mourinho or our two best young players at this point in Martial and Pogba. Our board doesn't care tho, as long as the coffers are filled by champions league football, they won't take the risk in firing Mourinho despite the fact that it might mean we won't win the league for the next 4-5 yrs.

I'm not really a pessimist, but that's what the data shows we are headed. Wish I could believe in the magic, but we just ain't got it no more. At least until we bring in someone new who'll reenegize our team, do a massive overhaul for the next 3 yrs getting rid of deadwood & mediocre talent (Blind, Rojo, Shaw, Young, Mata, Fellaini, Lingard, Rashford). With the younger ones like Rashford/Shaw need to be sent on loan. Lingard is a decent backup, but by no means playing ahead of Martial or stand in the way of us buying a real top RW. A coach who won't suck the life out of the players and fans with negatively before the season even starts! I'm with Scholes, if the coach looks unhappy show him the door. Ever heard of a leader who's successful at inspiring his/her team through incessant whining and negativity?

The way is lost when we believe Mourinho's excuses. When did we become the club where it's too hard to expecte to win the title every year. We spend money, have resources, & think we're a top team like City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juventus, but our results and attitude say anything but. Our board sucks so bad. We spent so much money on more lesser quality players, while top clubs like PSG, City, Real, Barca buy the best and hire coaches who fit the philosophy rather than whatever chaos we call our transfer strategy.

Still rooting for us to win it all this year. Gotta stay positive right???

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Probably showing my age but surely I’m not the only one sickened by the idea that this is actually a thing in modern football?

Or, to put it another way, can we please stop signing footballers to whom this shit matters? Somehow I can’t see the likes of Luka Modric worrying about his cocking brand platform.
I'm sickened by it too man but it's an important part of transfers, specially when a young and marketable player is concerned. Whatever gets their name out there, promotes is a big plus for them

Canagel

I have nothing personally against Mourinho. If we were playing good brand of football and competing for trophies then this poll would’ve been much closer. If Mourinho goes on the create history with us like he did with Chelsea, I am pretty sure the numbers would be heavily stacked in his favor.
Also I think Pogba's world cup plus our terrible pre season has tipped things in his favour. If this was done straight after the season maybe it would've been much closer.

Member 90887

What a stupid question. that's what's wrong with the cafe recently. it is more devided than ever. How can someone chose a player that wants to leave instead of the manager of the club who's here to stay ? for all the talk about Pogback and shit, if he does it to us and leaves after two season, it shows that it was mainly marketing and not the 'Manchester is my home' ....

People hate Jose so much that they're willing to put their pride aside just to shit on him. what happened to 'the manager first' ? The martial situation is already a disguting matter for the club, don't get why people want to create a Pogba situation as well.

The players are never bigger than the club and i'll never 'hang desperately' to a player, like people are doing here, even though he wants to leave. you either play for the shirt, or you feck off.

The hypocrisy of people. when it's players like lingard, you hear the same voices critisizing him for the smallest of things, his social media activity and stuff: 'ohhh, if Roy Keane was here, ohhh'. Ask yourself what Roy Keane, that loved the club would think about players using us to further their brand and not giving a shit about the club. what happened to hating mercenaries ? players that are here just for the money of to futher their brands ?

I hope that the story about Pogba is not true and it's just media bs, but when you see the rumour that began in January ... there's no fire without smoke.

I would keep a hundred Rashford before i do Martial. Similarly, i would keep a hundred Lingards and Herreras before Pogba.

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 90887

The hypocrisy of this comment... Pogba has done as much as Jose did these last few years, which is feck all. how can you say that Pogba is proven at the top level, then go on to give him a pass for his last few years, when you don't do the same with Jose, who is also proven at the top level (but you conveniently forgot to mentionned that right?).

Your post is either motivated by hate towards Jose, which explains cherry picking your argument or a lack of logic in composing your arguments.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Pogba is as crucial for us as He is for France and willing to give his all for us then I'd choose Pogba. Otherwise, manager always comes first because the cost of losing one not-that-important player is less than the cost of losing a manager who's been here for 2 years and with no similar or good candidates to replace him around (which means We might end up 'rebuilding' the team all over again when that new manager comes in).

But I don't think We'd have to choose in this situation, not now at least. Pogba's price is hugely inflated after winning the World Cup on top of his quality and marketability, there's no chance any club could afford him now, if anything They'd rather wait for next season. And things might change over the course of the season which will make the vote irrelevant. Premature vote.

Last edited:

Pogba is a once in a generation player for us. We cannot lose him.