Mourinho or Pogba?

If it was an either/or situation, who would you rather United keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bogga

I'm actually getting a bit worried... Seems like Poobag wants to leave, we aren't exactly signing anyone and the ones we're rumoured to be getting doesn't play the positions where we should be strengthening. Mourinho got us a 2nd place in a season when City did what they wanted and we won the EL. But apart from those "achievements", have me actually moved forward?

We rarely win games by scoring more than 2 goals, even when facing cannon fodder. These games are won by Liverpoop and City with 5-0 and they run rampage, while we have a tough time and have to wait until the 89th and look at microphone head coming on as a plan C.

Mourinho still lives at a Hotel and that doesn't exactly scream "I wanna stay here for the long haul"... In all fairness, managers today seem to jump around just as much as players do, but still it doesn't feel reassuring. I'd give him until winter to see where we are in the league, if the football we play have gotten any better and if we look like contenders for a trophy. If not, I'd go for Zidane...

Mourinho vs Pogba... It's easier to get a big manager to our club than to replace Pogba with a player of his calibre with mourinho as manager. That's my two cents

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t even like Pogba (shock horror!) but chose him anyway. It’s fairly clear by now that Mourinho has no intention of being here for the long haul so there’s only one winner.

People can say we can bring in replacements with the fund received from selling Pogba but the way we’ve spent our money under the last 3 managers is hardly encouraging. I’d rather have a young, decent at worst player with good marketing value over possibilities, especially in this inflated market.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t even like Pogba (shock horror!) but chose him anyway. It’s fairly clear by now that Mourinho has no intention of being here for the long haul so there’s only one winner.

People can say we can bring in replacements with the fund received from selling Pogba but the way we’ve spent our money under the last 3 managers is hardly encouraging. I’d rather have a young, decent at worst player with good marketing value over possibilities, especially in this inflated market.
This is the key point. Replacing players of his level is incredibly hard. He's a great player to watch on form. I'd much rather we get in a coach that plays exciting football and one who gets the best out of PP.

Minimalist

Don't actually think Pogba has been a victim of Mourinho that much. His problems seem to be down to him more often that not.

I'd still keep Pogba though over Jose. Think it's pretty obvious why.

GM K

I just don't feel many are being fair on Mourinho. So many baseless allegations against him. Many of which some of his players in this same team have come out to debunk recently. Grant, Shaw, Herrera, Lukaku, etc. I read a few posts today about how Jose criticized Pogba after the World Cup rather than congratulate him and people believe that. This is what Jose actually said:

“I don’t think it’s about us getting the best out of him. It’s about him giving the best he has to give. I think the World Cup is the perfect habitat for a player like him to give the best. Why? Because it’s closed for a month, where he can only think about football. Where he’s with his team on the training camp, completely isolated from the external world, where they focus just on football, where the dimensions of the game can only motivate. During a season, you can have a big match then a smaller match, then one even smaller, then you can lose your focus, you can lose your concentration, then comes a big match again.

In the World Cup, the direction of the emotion, of the responsibility, of the big decisions is always growing up [further]. You are in the group phase, you go to the last 16, to the quarter-finals, to the semi-finals, to the finals. This feeds the motivation. This feeds the concentration of a player.
So I think it was the perfect environment for him. At the same time, players in the World Cup, they really feel that extra commitment with a country, with the people, that extra responsibility that makes them – by the emotional point of view – to be sometimes even overcommitted. They play for the team, and only for the team, and the team is the most important thing, and they do everything to try to succeed. So I think it’s the perfect environment for a talented player like him to focus, to fully focus on the job.”

I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is bang on point. And it is not like he never congratulated Pogba at all as much of the media will want us to believe. He said in an interview:

‘Paul… I did with him what I did with all my players, I sent a nice message before the World Cup, during the World Cup I decided not to disturb anyone. I think when they are with the national team especially at the World Cup, they don’t need their club manager to be on their shoulder saying yes, no, well done, badly done, happy, not happy, I think they need to focus on their job, which is the national team and the World Cup.

To win the World Cup can only be a positive thing. It’s difficult to say to win the World Cup is not good for a player’s career, can only imagine it’s only positive. It’s amazing, fantastic, so many amazing players didn’t have the chance to be world champions.

For Paul I think it’s the first World Cup he goes to, to be world champion can only be fantastic, it’s a young team, apart from [Olivier] Giroud and [Hugo] Lloris, they are all young, they have more Euros and World Cups to play together, the future for him in France national team can only be brilliant. I hope that he understands why he was very good. I think that’s the point about his performance level, his contribution to a winning team, for him to understand why he was so good, especially in the second part of the competition, the quarter-final, semi-final and final where he was in my opinion absolutely brilliant.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/18/jose...ba-frances-world-cup-win-7732490/?ito=cbshare

What is wrong with that statement? I just don't get journalists and some of our fans that cling to their narratives.
What exactly has Jose done against Pogba? He changed formations for him several times. Two man midfield, three man midfield, free role, etc. He even gave him the captains band at a point and stood up for him when ex players were criticizing him. He signed Matic to allow Pogba move further upfield. Even the purchase of Fred, I understand, is part of the whole plan of getting the best out of Pogba and the midfield in general.

If Jose actually deserves a stick, by all means, people should give it to him. But a number of allegations out there often don't stand the 'facts test' when held up to scrutiny.

Last edited:

ash_86

I just don't feel many are being fair on Mourinho. So many baseless allegations against him. Many of which some of his players in this same team have come out to debunk recently. Grant, Shaw, Herrera, Lukaku, etc. I read a few posts today about how Jose criticized Pogba after the World Cup rather than congratulate him and people believe that. This is what Jose actually said:

How exactly did Mourinho question Pogba's success at the world cup? I don't get it when people go on and on about this in the media.
Mourinho was asked something that required him to explain Pogba's success at the World Cup and why the club was not getting the best out of him at Old Trafford and he said:

“I don’t think it’s about us getting the best out of him. It’s about him giving the best he has to give. I think the World Cup is the perfect habitat for a player like him to give the best. Why? Because it’s closed for a month, where he can only think about football. Where he’s with his team on the training camp, completely isolated from the external world, where they focus just on football, where the dimensions of the game can only motivate. During a season, you can have a big match then a smaller match, then one even smaller, then you can lose your focus, you can lose your concentration, then comes a big match again.

In the World Cup, the direction of the emotion, of the responsibility, of the big decisions is always growing up [further]. You are in the group phase, you go to the last 16, to the quarter-finals, to the semi-finals, to the finals. This feeds the motivation. This feeds the concentration of a player.
So I think it was the perfect environment for him. At the same time, players in the World Cup, they really feel that extra commitment with a country, with the people, that extra responsibility that makes them – by the emotional point of view – to be sometimes even overcommitted. They play for the team, and only for the team, and the team is the most important thing, and they do everything to try to succeed. So I think it’s the perfect environment for a talented player like him to focus, to fully focus on the job.”

I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is bang on point. And it is not like he never congratulated Pogba at all as much of the media will want us to believe. He said in an interview:

‘Paul… I did with him what I did with all my players, I sent a nice message before the World Cup, during the World Cup I decided not to disturb anyone. I think when they are with the national team especially at the World Cup, they don’t need their club manager to be on their shoulder saying yes, no, well done, badly done, happy, not happy, I think they need to focus on their job, which is the national team and the World Cup.

To win the World Cup can only be a positive thing. It’s difficult to say to win the World Cup is not good for a player’s career, can only imagine it’s only positive. It’s amazing, fantastic, so many amazing players didn’t have the chance to be world champions.

For Paul I think it’s the first World Cup he goes to, to be world champion can only be fantastic, it’s a young team, apart from [Olivier] Giroud and [Hugo] Lloris, they are all young, they have more Euros and World Cups to play together, the future for him in France national team can only be brilliant. I hope that he understands why he was very good. I think that’s the point about his performance level, his contribution to a winning team, for him to understand why he was so good, especially in the second part of the competition, the quarter-final, semi-final and final where he was in my opinion absolutely brilliant.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/18/jose...ba-frances-world-cup-win-7732490/?ito=cbshare

What is wrong with that statement? I just don't get journalists and some of our fans that cling to their narratives.
What exactly has Jose done against Pogba? He changed formations for him several times. Two man midfield, three man midfield, free role, etc. He even gave him the captains band at a point and stood up for him when ex players were criticizing him. He signed Matic to allow Pogba move further upfield. Even the purchase of Fred, I understand, is part of the whole plan of getting the best out of Pogba and the midfield in general.

If Jose actually deserves a stick, by all means, people should give it to him. But a number of allegations out there often don't stand the 'facts test' when held up to scrutiny.

Agree with you, there's nothing wrong in any of the things quoted. Jose even went after Scholes when he spoke against Pogba. Unfortunately this post with get lost among flurry of negative posts. People believe what they want to believe and what suits their narrative. It's like no good has come out of the last two years and everything is just going down from this point.

Nuts

He's also a moaner who wants to leave the moment he doesn't have his way and his agent is the most infamous for pushing his players out for a big move. But yeah, stick with Pogba instead of one of the best manager in the world.

If you're so insistent on using history, how about the fact that Riaolo's players always makes multiple transfers in their career and Pogba's history of wanting out of clubs to get whatever he wants.
Don’t get so upset, it’s only a fecking hypothetical question.

Do you see a rosy future for Mourinho at United?

I don’t, and I also don’t think Pogba came to United wanting to have two pretty bad seasons before moving on.

Honestly, at this time, I would stick to my guns and say I think Pogba still has potentially more to offer United in the future than Mourinho. However, I think there are other managers out there who’d know how to get more out of him than Jose has shown he’s capable of.

simplyared

Don't believe it's a Mourinho issue anymore, whether Pogba stays or goes. Get the feeling he's got his mind set on Barcelona and we now risk having a discontented Pogba in the camp.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
80% prefers Pogba over Mourinho?? Wow!! You prefer a player who can't be relied upon week in week out, who was largely inconsistent in the last two seasons over a manager who is one of the best in the history of Football?? And dont forget that his agent is Mino #*#@#* Riola. Even if we sack Mourinho for Pogba now, what guarantee do we have that Pogba will be staying here for long? Unless we are ready to improve his contract every year and pay a huge sum for Riola, this drama will keep on happening.

Yes, Pogba has huge potential and is young, and i want him to play for us but only if he is 100% committed to the club. An if he really wants to leave, i don't think he is irreplaceable. There are many cheaper options available in the market like Pjanic, SMS, Thiago, Kovacic, etc and Kroos, Eriksen, Rakitic, etc who are harder to get, still possible. But we don't have much better and proven options to replace Mourinho.

We should understand the reasons behind Pogba's successful WC. There are two big reasons behind his performance in the WC and it was not just the tactics. Actually France played exactly like a Jose team, defend deep, let the oppo have the ball and then counter attack with pace. And it was not pretty at all, especially when they didn't had the ball. Still Pogba excelled in that set up because he had that desire to perform, he was focussed and he knew that the whole world was watching. And another reason for his excellent performance in the WC is down to the quality around him. He had Kante behind him, the best CDM in the world. So, Pogba was able to roam around the pitch as per his wish. France had one of the best CB pair in Varane and Umtity who are good with the ball, so Pogba didnt had to come deep to get the ball. France had a very good LB who is good at going forward and crossing. In front of him, he had the best young player in the world on his right, Griezman through middle and a target man in Giroud. He also had Matuidi to compliment his defensive duties.

Now if you compare this France team to the current Manchester United team and you will get your answer on why Pogba was excellent in the WC. Only De Gea and Lukaku, and may be Sanchez as well, would walk into that French team. So, the club should recruit more top level players around him to get the best out of him. And Pogba need to show the same desire and focus week in week out when he is wearing the United shirt as he shown in the WC.

There is very little blame on Mourinho in this case. He had highly praised Pogba's performance in the world cup, but at the same time he told the reason why he had a successful WC and Jose was 100% right about it. Pogba need to take it positively and show more passion and focus while he is here.

Also, no other manager will do better than him when they have Darmian, Young, Shaw and Valencia as fullbacks; Jones, Rojo and Smalling as CB's; Mata and Lingard on RW and a moody player on the LW. The 2nd place we got last season is probably the best anyone could do with this team.

As I said many times, give the manager the team he wants and then judge his team's style of play, improvement and success. I completely agree that the style of play is not what we all want to see. But result wise, we have improved a lot during the last two seasons. Just look at our results against the top teams last season and you can see the improvements there. And the style of play is largely down to the players he has at his disposal. It is stupid to expect this United team to play like Jose's Madrid or Chelsea teams. And if you think that Klopp or Pep can win the title with this team, then you are simply delusional. I believe that our below par team could be the reason why they turned down the offer to become our manager. The players we have or had is not suitable for their style of play. Similarly, few of the players we still have is not suitable for Jose's tactics. So, either the board should back him and give him what he asked for or just sack him and bring someone who can do wonders with this team.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Don’t get so upset, it’s only a fecking hypothetical question.

Do you see a rosy future for Mourinho at United?

I don’t, and I also don’t think Pogba came to United wanting to have two pretty bad seasons before moving on.

Honestly, at this time, I would stick to my guns and say I think Pogba still has potentially more to offer United in the future than Mourinho. However, I think there are other managers out there who’d know how to get more out of him than Jose has shown he’s capable of.
Name the managers who're available and would improve us if they replaced Jose right now. They'll flop because the players know all they have to do is sulk and they'll get the manager replaced leaving them free to do whatever they want. Players happiness is seriously overrated, they're fecking paid millions to do a job, and they'll get along fine as long as they're winning and they need to pull their head out of their asses and start pulling their weight.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Name the managers who're available and would improve us if they replaced Jose right now. They'll flop because the players know all they have to do is sulk and they'll get the manager replaced leaving them free to do whatever they want. Players happiness is seriously overrated, they're fecking paid millions to do a job, and they'll get along fine as long as they're winning and they need to pull their head out of their asses and start pulling their weight.
If Jose is one of the best managers in the world as some have suggested on here, then he should be able to get the best out of them, at least some, or even just a few. The fact is, there doesn't seem to be much progress, whether you want to talk about strategy, development, consistency, atmosphere, team identity. So, is there a coach out there that could do a better job? Maybe, maybe not; but if Mourinho is losing the squad (which could be all media bs), then at what point does he get a share of the blame and starts becoming the problem? Especially if he's alienating talented players to replace them with players who have a few years left at the top of the game that the club will be stuck with once he's gone.

Mainoldo

It matters when you can’t keep your main guy happy. It’s like failing to keep Ronaldo happy, you get sacked. Ask Rafa Benetiz. The Btec José.

Nuts

Name the players who are sulking and not pulling their weight.

Speedicut75

I cringed a little when I chose Pog, but it's all become so bleeding attritional. Never like to side with players over coaches, but I think the Frenchman will do more for the success of the team than a 3rd season Mourinho.

jmaggio

I voted for Pogba in the poll.

However, no player or manager is bigger than this club.

If a manager is having a negative effect on the squad morale , and he is throwing his toys out the pram about transfers, despite being overwhelmingly financially backed and playing dour football, then he should be gone.

If a player and his snake agent have been working on a move away, behind our backs, despite being relatively underwhelming since arriving here for a world record fee, then he should be gone.

We are Manchester United and I am tired of individuals and 3rd parties pushing us around since Fergie retired.

Shimo

I absolutely agreed with Mourinho's assessment of Pogba during the world cup. That he was able to get better and better in that month - it's a matter of him now translating that to club football for 10 months on a consistent basis. There is nothing for Pogba to feel like he has been unjustly criticised.

However, based on our progression of our football and then seeing us this pre-season, if it really came down to one or the other, then I'd choose Pogba. Mourinho seems to be setting up for a meltdown or at the very least a set of excuses. When Klopp took over for Liverpool, he didn't have the best squad but, he got them playing a certain way, he got a lot out of the players he had at his disposal. With Mourinho, he seems to have gone in reverse. Even if it is 3rd string team, at least there should be a pattern of play going forward this pre-season but, instead he just chose for damage limitation or perhaps a show to the board, this is the brand of football you should expect if I don't get my way. Just don't see a vision for how he wants us to play and after 2 seasons, at least that should be apparent. If he is too scared to take off the handbrake on what are some very good players, then he definitely would be the better option of the two to go.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits

Jose's comments about Pogba's World Cup were spot on in my opinion. If Pogba sees something wrong in them, then that's on him. All Jose asks is that he brings his great form back with him to United.

Nanotron

No but he is the manager of the club. A manager should ALWAYS have priority over one player.

That’s the whole point of it. We’ve had player payer get rid of the previous two managers and only shown progress under Jose.
Id argue it was their managerial performance that led to their demise. "Player power" is a result of bad management but is not the cuase. Seems our manager has a bit of history when it comes to running into player power. Jose seems to be the common ingredient. Makes one wonder.

Offsideagain

Pogba or Mourinho, shot or hung, whiskey or Gin? Well one doesn’t really want to be at United now and t’other doesn’t want the other one.

Keep Jose, Pogba has left once and can be replaced on his performances last season. Jose can’t be replaced. All talk anyway.

IhabX7

Jose's comments about Pogba's World Cup were spot on in my opinion. If Pogba sees something wrong in them, then that's on him. All Jose asks is that he brings his great form back with him to United.
Horrible man management through the media though. No player wants to hear that shit, especially not after winning the world cup and being one of the standout players.

MrBest

So he can't control the game, can't defend and he can't be a box to box. He's only good at bringing the ball forward and use his presence to "bully" defenders.

Sounds like a fecking waste of a midfielder the way you described it. Can't do half the vital jobs midfielders are expected to do. Then you blame Mourinhos tactics on it? Doesn't make sense.

Pogba prefers to play in midfield and by your own views, he can't do half the key skills needed to perform there. No manager will make him look good consistently. Unless he starts giving more to the team, which he only does for France and even that was over 1.month.
He seemed fine at Juve. Do you genuinely believe a real future at United? Do you really believe he will have us playing well again? Think you need to take your Jose tinted glasses off. Once a great manager bit failed to move with the times. Happens to often in every walk of life.

Fooza

I think I'd be picking any player against Mourinho. I've personally had enough of him.

I'll hold up my hands and say I was a huge admirer and got so excited when he was chosen to manage to United, now I can see why people disliked him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He seemed fine at Juve. Do you genuinely believe a real future at United? Do you really believe he will have us playing well again? Think you need to take your Jose tinted glasses off. Once a great manager bit failed to move with the times. Happens to often in every walk of life.
I don't have any "Jose tinted glasses" on. I just recognise that Pogba has been massively inconsistent and he's played in his preferred position alongside strong talent which have come off the back of good seasons.

I find his individual performances often lazy and that has nothing to do with the manager.

Regarding Jose and failing, I also find this bizzare. He's spent 3rd highest and finish 2nd in the league last season. Speaking purely from results he's where I expected him to take us. No more, no less.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why would anyone want Mourinho over Pogba:lol::lol: 21% fecking hell
Some sort of flawed principal where the manager is supposed to be superior to players. From the club POV, that type of principal is just stupid, it's always a case by case problem when you have to determine which asset is the most valuable for the future of the club. If someone think that Mourinho is more valuable based on what he can provide then it's totally fair, but if it's based on flawed principals then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

MrBest

I don't have any "Jose tinted glasses" on. I just recognise that Pogba has been massively inconsistent and he's played in his preferred position alongside strong talent which have come off the back of good seasons.

I find his individual performances often lazy and that has nothing to do with the manager.

Regarding Jose and failing, I also find this bizzare. He's spent 3rd highest and finish 2nd in the league last season. Speaking purely from results he's where I expected him to take us. No more, no less.
Lol your super defensive when it comes to Jose. I just said I preferred pogba over Jose which is my opinion and you have given me zero reason to chnage my mind. I too believe pogba is inconsistent and frustrating, if you don't believe me have a read of my history where I have vented out against him plenty of times. I just think if given the choice between them both, pogba has more to offer. Jose may have finished second but it didn't feel like it was second. The football is miserable and I'd rather finish 3rd scoring 100 goals and playing great football than 2nd and crawling over the line. Next season is going to be a tough one. City and Liverpool look painfully good.

Moonred

You are a lesser fan if you choose a top player with incredible ability who just won a World Cup playing in 2nd gear about to hit his peak over the grouchy one.

Hercules

Mourinho, we are going to be so much better this year. I ll never allow anyone to be greater than the Gaffer who in turn isn't greater than Man Utd

AlwaysRed66

I have gone for Mourinho, as I never agree with player power, but in truth I wouldn't shed a tear if both went.

PeteManic

Genuinely neither.

There was a reason Ferguson let Pogba go.

And Mourinho will leave next summer or the following.

Good luck to both of them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lol your super defensive when it comes to Jose. I just said I preferred pogba over Jose which is my opinion and you have given me zero reason to chnage my mind. I too believe pogba is inconsistent and frustrating, if you don't believe me have a read of my history where I have vented out against him plenty of times. I just think if given the choice between them both, pogba has more to offer. Jose may have finished second but it didn't feel like it was second. The football is miserable and I'd rather finish 3rd scoring 100 goals and playing great football than 2nd and crawling over the line. Next season is going to be a tough one. City and Liverpool look painfully good.
Where have I been super defensive?

You've basically told me Pogba can't do half the things a midfielder can do but you'd keep him ahead of a manager with a proven track record of success with each club he's managed. Based on talent, I have more faith in Jose continuing his record of bringing a title to each employer than I do in Pogba 1) staying a season without pimping himself to clubs and 2) actually performing beyond an average level consistently.

Re. playing style, it only really went tits up in the second half of last season. First half we were just fine. We lost Pogba, Herrera and Fellaini for multiple months and Bailey to long term ankle injuries - I believe often things need to be put into context but it seems to be easy for you to say "Jose parks the bus blargh" than it is to actually evaluate the season.

Quite surprised that for his boring park the bus style he managed to have our best goal difference & goals scored since SAF, but don't let my "Jose tinted glasses" take over :lol:

Zlatanator

When Di Maria left no body was on his side but portrayed him as the snake. But when it comes to pogba , It's Jose the culprit.

laughtersassassin

When Di Maria left no body was on his side but portrayed him as the snake. But when it comes to pogba , It's Jose the culprit.
Di Maria promised the fans he was staying and then never showed up for Pre Season. Entirely different situation.

Also I think fans can understand Pogba not wanting to play for Jose. The important thing is we force him too as we will either have a good season and all will likely be forgiven or we will have a bad season and we will have a new manager who Pogba may want to play for. All in all selling him would be idiotic.

Zlatanator

Di Maria promised the fans he was staying and then never showed up for Pre Season. Entirely different situation.

Also I think fans can understand Pogba not wanting to play for Jose. The important thing is we force him too as we will either have a good season and all will likely be forgiven or we will have a bad season and we will have a new manager who Pogba may want to play for. All in all selling him would be idiotic.
He was unsettled and was quoted saying he was being played out of position by the manager. Don't you think this was the main reason he left the club?

Yes it would be idiotic to let him go. But he is chalking out a move in the background and all the blame is being directed towards jose.

jmaggio

Lads, it isn’t a case of apportioning blame, it has reached a point where both parties need to agree to a truce and a new working relationship for the good of the team.

Pogba, for example, had numerous prime opportunities during his many interviews during the World Cup to end speculation and commit his future to United. He didn't do it.

Likewise, Mourinho's barely had a word to say about Pogba's impressive World Cup campaign where he helped to lead France to victory. He has since appeared to overlook him for the vacant captaincy role and dug him, and a number of others, out for not returning from holiday sooner.

It is a tense stand-off that has rumbled on in the background the whole summer; two egos seemingly ill at ease with each other. In every interview Pogba has given there have been undertones hinting at a fractured relationship with Mourinho.

José needs to change his tack with Pogba in order to get the best out of him - but it's going to take a compromise from Pogba's side too. He showed his maturity in Russia with his team talks and ability to lead the squad and that is the mentality he needs to bring back to united after his summer holiday.

José has a huge job on his hands turning this situation around, but sorting out his Pogba 'problem' once and for all has to be one of his top priorities, and would stand him in good stead to prove critics wrong.