Mourinho to United | Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Surely the BBC wouldn't unquestionably state that he's going to be the next manager if it was just Mendes that told them, though? I think they had to have heard something from the club.
People think BBC will post a story on their website as done or make it their headline news without confirming from the club are stupid. This is BBC they dont want to be played by agents. They never publish stories until they are done.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Seems like the media got wind of his sacking before he did. Same happened with Moyes too.
See now that I find poorly handled by the club

Either you support the man or you don't but fake support is a bit classless.

If woodward really said to his face, I think you are doing a mighty fine job, carry on like you are doing, than that is pretty bad. I hoped he always knew he had to step up big time or risk getting the sack if he didn't. If he really tought everything was fine and then gets the sack after winning the Fa cup, than I do feel sorry for him and makes woody an ass.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I guess Monday would have been fine. Who knows, the man probably would have announced retirement. Now it is essentially a sacking.
I think him coming out saying he wanted to stay multiple times in the last few weeks would have made the retirement thing a hard thing to sell.

The one thing I would have changed is getting an official announcement and not a leak. Maybe even from him. But what's done is done .

Needham

Ignorance on full show.
Not entirely serious, relax.
Who exactly has announced anything?
You're right, no announcing. But the source has let it be known somehow and I'm thinking it surely can't be United. Within ONE HOUR of winning a trophy. Would have to be an insider with a grudge against Van Gaal or something. Otherwise it looks something like what Celtic did last week announcing Brendan Rogers as boss on the eve of Rangers Cup Final appearance, trying to subtract headlines from their rivals. Very small time if so, and that's why I'm assuming its someone on Mourinho's team, though not necessarily the man himself.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what is the plan with Giggs are we keeping him as assistant?

SirAF

Ageist
See now that I find poorly handled by the club

Either you support the man or you don't but fake support is a bit classless.

If woodward really said to his face, I think you are doing a mighty fine job, carry on like you are doing, than that is pretty bad. I hoped he always knew he had to step up big time or risk getting the sack if he didn't. If he really tought everything was fine and then gets the sack after winning the Fa cup, than I do feel sorry for him and makes woody an ass.
Definitely, but business is business. Woodward is 100% aware of LvG's history and knows that he is a volatile man - so if all that is true maybe he didn't want to jeopardize the preparation for the final?

stu_1992

Why not ?

I mean he will have earned more money doing this job than any of us will ever own in our entire lives. His job is to let the team play good football and win titles in the process, part of the job is also to deal with the reaction that comes from disappointed fans and the media if that doesn't work out.

I mean it must be the most easy job on the planet if there is no consequences of failure. He gets 2 years, gets paid a fortune, does a lowsy job and than the fans and the media should still sing his praise ? This is sport, if you don't achieve then you should not expect applause and you always risk getting the sack. He is more than experienced enough to know this. He had good times at other clubs where he won major titles and the fans sang his praise, his ego has been boosted plenty in his career, this is the other side of the job if you don't realise the expectations which weren't unrealistic at all.
I'm not say he did a good job at all, he didn't. Let's get that clear, I think this is absolutely the correct decision. I just think, the reaction of some is over the top is all. I'm not advocating applauding him off into the sunset, as I don't think failure should be rewarded. It didn't work out for him, he's not a shit manager. He obviously will have wanted this to work out too, even it was for his own ego. The way some carry on, you'd swear he was out to ruin the place intentionally.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'm not say he did a good job at all, he didn't. Let's get that clear, I think this is absolutely the correct decision. I just think, the reaction of some is over the top is all. I'm not advocating applauding him off into the sunset, as I don't think failure should be rewarded. It didn't work out for him, he's not a shit manager. He obviously will have wanted this to work out too, even it was for his own ego. The way some carry on, you'd swear he was out to ruin the place intentionally.
It is bottled up frustration and the way the club was carrying on delaying the envitable made it worse. I do think the faillure is larger than just LVG, it almost always is but he is the face of this faillure and gets the full load from the media and the fans, I also think that is part of his job and why he is so well compensated for it.

As long as people don't bother him in his private life and they leave his family alone etc I'am ok with it. This job is a public post, you are exposed to emotional fans and media sharks, if he can't handle (which I'am sure he can) then he shouldn't be a manager at a top club like United.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's a human. Some of us aren't petulant cnuts. It's a form of entertainment for us, for him it's his life, career and dignity.

I'd rather he was allowed to leave without embarrassing him. He tried his best, it didn't work. It doesn't make him pond scum worthy of the same words and treatment rapist and murderers get.

Have a bit of humility.
Meh, he's part of that entertainment business, so his sacking and the fan's digs are just another part of the pantomime IMO. That's the way he should look at it.

He seems a nice guy. I'd like to have a pint with him. Thanks Christ he's gone though.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think him coming out saying he wanted to stay multiple times in the last few weeks would have made the retirement thing a hard thing to sell.

The one thing I would have changed is getting an official announcement and not a leak. Maybe even from him. But what's done is done .
You are right.
I think Woodward should've told and agreed with LVG way in advance and told LVG to make the announcement himself, rather than Sky, Mendes or any other "leaked" story.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The ' it's over' comments could be interpreted however you like. I think van gaal is purposefully avoiding the media because of the way they have been this season. He's could have meant that the FA Cup is over and that he doesn't want to discuss it with reporters, especially whilst they are speculating about his job again.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
@.Rossi said he'll donate 20 pounds to Caf when Jose gets appointed. Close now.

Manny

Grammar Police
Louis knows what he's saying.

Woody probably told him yesterday

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@.Rossi , if you want to give 20£ to each caf members I can help you but I will need 200£ to unlock the money.;)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's a good point.
But then people can change their mind about retirement; and it was up to Woodward to discuss everything with LVG in advance, rather than keeping it a (badly kept) secret (which appears to be what has happened).
The announcement could've been done immediately after the FA Cup (no leaks or unofficial leaked stories) and the fans would've clapped and cheered LVG into retirement.
It's just bad planning.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm just so happy right now. Another year under LvG would have been torture. I'm so confident that under Mourinho we will be very successful, this is a match made in heaven.

Sparky Rhiwabon

When he told the reporter "it's over" he could equally have meant the unwanted attempted interview was over.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Watching LVG when United scored the winning goal, his celebration didn't give the indication he was ready for retirement. Winning the trophy probably whetted his appetite to stay on and try to improve. It wasn't the right time for him to go, it should have been months ago. Whos to say we would have got champions league football or even won the FA Cup with a new manager in place.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Now I think about it, I feel like I passive-aggressively called someone who looked a lot like Adnan Januzaj a prick under my breath for getting in my way. I don't think he travelled with the squad though?

:lol:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The ' it's over' comments could be interpreted however you like. I think van gaal is purposefully avoiding the media because of the way they have been this season. He's could have meant that the FA Cup is over and that he doesn't want to discuss it with reporters, especially whilst they are speculating about his job again.
Clutch them straws mate.

Skywarden

If that's what he actually said then that's that isn't it?

We won the FA Cup and got Mourinho. I do think we will look back on the LVG period fondly in the future, through all the frustration and bollocks LVG was often humorous and crazy, he also got rid of the post-SAF trophy monkey on our back and did it by playing talented youngsters who will form a solid foundation for the coming years. Thanks for the Cup, Louis.
Spot on.

Von Mistelroum

My fears exactly.
Had Guardiola and Mourinho been available, I wouldn't have looked twice at Mourinho.
If have been more worried about Guardiola coming personally. He's never really managed in a league as competitive as ours. He's never had to cope without a team of superstars playing for him and he's just got no experience in the PL. Not to mention his apparent hatred for staying anywhere long.

I expect that, if Mourinho comes, he'll be here until he's replaced or retiring, he has experience of winning the PL and will be motivated as feck. I'd back him over Pep every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.