Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jose Mourinho would walk into the Inter Job, and would most likely be given a stab at the Madrid job again now that the old guard are on their way out (CR7, Ramos, Modric, Benzema).

He'd also get the PSG and Bayern job easily; the only reason he hasnt is because he himself prefers the PL due to a higher salary and more competitive league.
Bayern don't want him.

Kevinb5555

United have had two major issues since SAF left. These are we have had a number of changes in management personnel and backroom staff and this has lead to a very disjointed transfer activity. For example, Di Maria was nothing short of a publicity trick to show we still have spending power rather than purchasing what the team requires. The second issue is purchasing two many potential players rather than proven.

I believe we have two choices. We can either 1 bring in a director of football that oversees' purchasing and our purchasing strategy of players to give it a more consistent approach. Stop purchasing players with "potential". What has been United's biggest issue over the last few years is purchasing too many players with potential hoping they will form a spine of the team. I fully understand the issues that have led to use purchasing so many players with potential, such as the rapid rise in transfer fees have led to all teams trying to purchase players with potential. Also, the fact that United is a listed company has a large impact. The board has done two major things satisfy shareholders. First is tried by keeping capital spend relatively low and when capital spend has occurred it is done in the hope that there will be a significant increase in the asset. This has been complemented with the agressive marketing of the United Brand.

Firstly, the board need to realise the more potential that fails the higher the long-term replacement cost will be. Second, They also need to understand potential usually only works when there is a solid spine within a team.

The board have plenty blame to shoulder however, jose also need to accept alot of gambles united have made in the transfer market have also not paid off and it has not been for a lack off funds.

Reactions: Invictus

Trizy

Jose is a winner - he won't settle for less. The board are happy to coast a long in the top 4.

Jose is right on the money, we should be investing hugely if we want to stay relevant.
Agreed, if all Jose success outside of Porto was down to money I'd give him what he wants. Who cares about money, I want to watch the best players week in week out playing lovely football.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
United have had two major issues since SAF left. These are we have had a number of changes in management personnel and backroom staff and this has lead to a very disjointed transfer activity. For example, Di Maria was nothing short of a publicity trick to show we still have spending power rather than purchasing what the team requires. The second issue is purchasing two many potential players rather than proven.

I believe we have two choices. We can either 1 bring in a director of football that oversees' purchasing and our purchasing strategy of players to give it a more consistent approach. Stop purchasing players with "potential". What has been United's biggest issue over the last few years is purchasing too many players with potential hoping they will form a spine of the team. I fully understand the issues that have led to use purchasing so many players with potential, such as the rapid rise in transfer fees have led to all teams trying to purchase players with potential. Also, the fact that United is a listed company has a large impact. The board has done two major things satisfy shareholders. First is tried by keeping capital spend relatively low and when capital spend has occurred it is done in the hope that there will be a significant increase in the asset. This has been complemented with the agressive marketing of the United Brand.

Firstly, the board need to realise the more potential that fails the higher the long-term replacement cost will be. Second, They also need to understand potential usually only works when there is a solid spine within a team.

The board have plenty blame to shoulder however, jose also need to accept alot of gambles united have made in the transfer market have also not paid off and it has not been for a lack off funds.

Really? Name one gamble that has not paid off. I can only think Mikhi!

Bestietom

I feel at this moment in time that the Hierarchy and fans alike, are just getting fed up with Mourinho's moans for more money. We all know what we need and the areas we need them.

2 Full Backs, a Playmaker/Midfielder, and a Right Winger. That's 4 players, and if we scout the right ones it may not cost us the fortune everyone thinks. Or we can always trust the academy players that are just ready to come through.

For instance:- 1. Is Fosu not good enough to play at RB with Valencia out injured.

2. Is Shaw not playing like a Manchester United player right now.

3. We have Callum Gribbin and Angel Gomes who are pushing for places, with a few others. Give them a chance, it's worth a try. We need speed and mobility, and some of these youngsters can provide it.

4. We can also use some players that are no longer in our plans, in swap deals to bring in players.

5. If all this was done properly we would not need to spend as much as everyone are saying. 300/400 million to put things right is NOT necessary. We should be promoting young players every year, and this is what the academy players and staff should aim for.

Nuts

Jose Mourinho would walk into the Inter Job, and would most likely be given a stab at the Madrid job again now that the old guard are on their way out (CR7, Ramos, Modric, Benzema).

He'd also get the PSG and Bayern job easily; the only reason he hasnt is because he himself prefers the PL due to a higher salary and more competitive league.
I reckon we're stuck with him and it's a bad situation for us as he's going to be a miserable fecker. We can't give him the many, many millions he'd need to overhaul City and I'm not sure he could do anyway. He's going to hate consistently coming second at best, and it'll drive him nuts.

It's going to be ugly, but replacing him now would be worse so we're stuck with the bloke.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think most would agree
Not me.
I quite like the idea of having a serial winner and one of the best managers in the World manage us.
But my personality is to try and win everything - perhaps others aren't as focused on winning or being the best.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I feel at this moment in time that the Hierarchy and fans alike, are just getting fed up with Mourinho's moans for more money. We all know what we need and the areas we need them.
Why would fans get fed up?
As a fan, don't you want to see us have the best players and win trophies?

Jose is putting A LOT of pressure on the board to open the purse strings and he certainly isn't keeping quiet, while the board use the "no value in the market" excuse.
While the owners are content with top 4 every year, Jose wants to win. And yes, that includes beating Pep's MCFC.
I for one, can't wait till we beat those guys. They have been better than us for the last few years and I am hoping that Jose can put an end to Pep's tenure with MCFC, just as he did in Spain.

I am astonished to see fans speak as if they don't us to get players and are content with the owners spending enough to simply keep us in the top 4.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics

Jose is putting A LOT of pressure on the board to open the purse strings and he certainly isn't keeping quiet, while the board use the "no value in the market" excuse.
While the owners are content with top 4 every year, Jose wants to win. And yes, that includes beating Pep's MCFC.
I for one, can't wait till we beat those guys. They have been better than us for the last few years and I am hoping that Jose can put an end to Pep's tenure with MCFC, just as he did in Spain.

I am astonished to see fans speak as if they don't us to get players and are content with the owners spending enough to simply keep us in the top 4.

Rightly so! Fans should demand the best players and the club to spend money, instead of milking the cow with dividends every fecking year. We should demand the best of the best, whatever the costs, we are the best club in the world ffs.

Bestietom

I would like to see the best here also, but when we are in for players the price doubles, and we should not need to spend 300/400 milion each window to try and compete with City and the rest when we have 50 full time scouts out there all over the world. These should be doing their job ffs.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Not me.
I quite like the idea of having a serial winner and one of the best managers in the World manage us.
But my personality is to try and win everything - perhaps others aren't as focused on winning or being the best.
i can tell you're really pulling your weight for the whole team there, champ.

Kevinb5555

Really? Name one gamble that has not paid off. I can only think Mikhi!
Luke shaw & Memphis Depay are two huge gambles in area's we have been desperate for which have failed.

I actually believe that Mikhi was never a gamble just not been able to settle. If we look at his history he should have been a good signing as was a proven player in German league and champions league with two clubs.

Stacks

Jose is a winner - he won't settle for less. The board are happy to coast a long in the top 4.

Jose is right on the money, we should be investing hugely if we want to stay relevant.
Yep. 700 million Euros sanctioned in 5 seasons, to coast along. That is typically the amount required for that glorious top 4.

Nuts

It's important to remember that Mourinho set out his transfer vision clearly, saying he was going to favour quality over quantity. He backed this up by making relatively few signings but at top dollar.

With that being the case, you've got to do better than Lindelof and Mkhi. Lindelof is not the player you need when your club is struggling along with Smalling and Jones in that position, and Mkhi was never going to set the Premier League on fire or be a radical improvement on Mata.

As much as he'll blame previous signings and lack of funds, it's actually mostly his own signings that aren't performing.

Re-signing Zlatan is another punt that doesn't look like it's working. It's not good enough for United.

A lot of our best players this season date from the SAF era, and a lot of Mourinho's signings are flattering to deceive...

clarkydaz

Not me.
:lol:

Send Ed Woodward an email, tell him how much do we need to spend to beat Burnley, Leicester and Southampton

FrenchRed

Yep. 700 million Euros sanctioned in 5 seasons, to coast along. That is typically the amount required for that glorious top 4.
Not in the this day and age, especially when we are trying to play catch up to City and the other European giants.

It breaks down to 140 Million per season (which when taking into account payment clauses, staggered payments etc is much lower), not including offsets like players being sold etc, so I'd expect the net spend to be a lot less. Exactly the type of money needed to coast a long in the top 4 and not catch up the league leaders.

This is made even worse when taking into account that the money has been spent by 3 managers with totally different views and approaches.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not in the this day and age, especially when we are trying to play catch up to City and the other European giants.

It breaks down to 140 Million per season (which when taking into account payment clauses, staggered payments etc is much lower), not including offsets like players being sold etc, so I'd expect the net spend to be a lot less. Exactly the type of money needed to coast a long in the top 4 and not catch up the league leaders.

This is made even worse when taking into account that the money has been spent by 3 managers with totally different views and approaches.
:lol: What drivel. Compare it to the spending of the other top sides in England.

redflair

It's been interesting to note some of Jose's post-match comments throughout the Christmas period - after the 'Childish' outburst - at Leicester.

Let's be honest, we haven't had a good festive period - but he's gone out of his way to hail the commitment, desire and quality of the players, again and again.

You could say every manager does that, but he's parrotted it hard over these last few games.

I don't think he's going anywhere this summer or for the foreseeable future. He's incredibly eager to ensure he doesn't have a repeat of the Blue Ship capzising like at his previous club.

It'll be bad results, no CL etc...that might ultimately might see him leave (or success that makes him stay). I don't think money will be his 'red line'.

minoo-utd

Ed: We can make things ( in the marker ) other clubs can only dream of.

Jose: Transfer spend is not enough.

What do I miss?

FrenchRed

:lol: What drivel. Compare it to the spending of the other top sides in England.
Each to their own opinion.

I’m not comparing to other clubs in England. I’m comparing to what was needed to get us back to the top after years of under investment in 2009-2011, and years of bad succession planning.

Bobski

£140 million a season is still a great deal even by today's price. 18 months ago it was a massive figure. For the 2 years of LVG and in Mou's first season Utd were outspending every club in Europe, no-one can honestly say we made the best use of that advantage.

Stacks

Each to their own opinion.

I’m not comparing to other clubs in England. I’m comparing to what was needed to get us back to the top after years of under investment in 2009-2011, and years of bad succession planning.
There is no magic figure though. When you talk about under investment, we were one of the strongest in the country at the time. We lacked a Ronaldo and a top CM. I am sure Fergie thought Nani would kick on, we had Pogba to come through with Ravel, the Da Silva's Smalling Jones De Gea, Berbatov, Rooney, RVP etc. at the Core, that isn't a bad base. Smalling and Jones are actually very useful CB to have and can both hold their own at this level. De Gea is the best. The others fell off for one reason or another which messed things up. There was a time when we thought the Da Silvas would be the new Neville's

VanGaalyTime

£140 million a season is still a great deal even by today's price. 18 months ago it was a massive figure. For the 2 years of LVG and in Mou's first season Utd were outspending every club in Europe, no-one can honestly say we made the best use of that advantage.
1 season we spent a lot under Van Gaal, 14-15, in 15-16 we almost broke even.

Jaybomb

I reckon we're stuck with him and it's a bad situation for us as he's going to be a miserable fecker. We can't give him the many, many millions he'd need to overhaul City and I'm not sure he could do anyway. He's going to hate consistently coming second at best, and it'll drive him nuts.

It's going to be ugly, but replacing him now would be worse so we're stuck with the bloke.
Yeah poor us. Stuck with one of the best managers in the world :rolleyes:

And who do you suggest we get?

This is our most successful season since Ferguson left. He won 2 trophies last season and he can still win 2 this season. Pep won nothing last season. Klopp won nothing last season and Pochettino won nothing last season. Yet Mourinho’s the one with the pressure on him..... No wonder he’s pissed. I would be too.

Nuts

Yeah poor us. Stuck with one of the best managers in the world :rolleyes:

And who do you suggest we get?

This is our most successful season since Ferguson left. He won 2 trophies last season and he can still win 2 this season. Pep won nothing last season. Klopp won nothing last season and Pochettino won nothing last season. Yet Mourinho’s the one with the pressure on him..... No wonder he’s pissed. I would be too.
Rubbish comparisons as Spurs and Liverpool are on different trajectories. Boards of both would be happy with continued improvement and qualification for CL.

Since that’s not really true at United, what’s the point in comparing them?

Nuts

Yet Mourinho’s the one with the pressure on him..... No wonder he’s pissed. I would be too.
Only reason for him to be pissed, by the way, is he’s had his pants pulled down and been spanked by Pep before Christmas.

And if he’s one of the best managers why have his signings been so poor for us?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Only reason for him to be pissed, by the way, is he’s had his pants pulled down and been spanked by Pep before Christmas.

Overall his transfer record here has been alright. Pogba was obviously a terrific signing, Matic was a fantastic buy and while he's sometimes been frustrating Lukaku's been far from a flop. Also managed to get a good year out of Zlatan too last season.

Jaybomb

What signings? Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly and Matic have all been successes. As was Ibra in his first season.

Mkhitaryan was the only flop. The jury is still out on Lindelof.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We don't play tika taka football, so all of Mourinho's signings are crap. That's how it works on this forum; if you don't like our style of play then you just make shite up to criticize the manager.

Jaybomb

Rubbish comparisons as Spurs and Liverpool are on different trajectories. Boards of both would be happy with continued improvement and qualification for CL.

Since that’s not really true at United, what’s the point in comparing them?
We should be happy with CL football considering we couldn’t achieve it under Moyes and Van Gaal.

We’re making obvious progress but some people just want an excuse to get rid of Mourinho before he maximises his success. A few draws and people are calling for his sacking. It’s embarrassing.

Just say you don’t like him and be done with it. No need to look for pathetic excuses to justify your hatred for the man.

RedStrudel76

If United fans are that dumb and can't see this was planted by Mendes and Mourinho to whip up a frenzy and get united fans begging him to stay.. well, there's no hope.

Obviously this is a leak.

Let's show him we don't care for him..

Nuts

What signings? Pogba, Lukaku, Bailly and Matic have all been successes. As was Ibra in his first season.

Mkhitaryan was the only flop. The jury is still out on Lindelof.
If you say ‘I’m going to sign quality over quantity’, as José did, and then you sign Mkhi and Lindelof, it’s not good enough.

I’m actually unsure about a lot of his signings. It’s notable that a lot of the better performers this year have been Ferguson signings with something to prove, like Young and Valencia.

I think re-signing Zlatan will prove to be a mistake.

There are so many areas that need rethinking, and if you decide to make a few signings, but top dollar ones, it’s a waste if they’re Lindelof or Mkhi when so much needs to be done.

If he’d got those signings right, I’ve no doubt we’d be closer to City and not relying on Fergie’s aging players. That’s his responsibility.

Jaybomb

If you say ‘I’m going to sign quality over quantity’, as José did, and then you sign Mkhi and Lindelof, it’s not good enough.

I’m actually unsure about a lot of his signings. It’s notable that a lot of the better performers this year have been Ferguson signings with something to prove, like Young and Valencia.

I think re-signing Zlatan will prove to be a mistake.

There are so many areas that need rethinking, and if you decide to make a few signings, but top dollar ones, it’s a waste if they’re Lindelof or Mkhi when so much needs to be done.

If he’d got those signings right, I’ve no doubt we’d be closer to City and not relying on Fergie’s aging players. That’s his responsibility.
Mkhitaryan and Lindelof cost about 58m in total.

City bought Mendy for 55m.

How does nobody see where Mourinho is coming from here?

AndyJ1985

£300m he's been given and he's still moaning about lack of funds. It's disrespectful to the owners who have backed him with so much money. Not only that but he could have spent that money better. Over £60m wasted on Mkhitaryan and Lindelof. Does Lukaku look like a player worth £75m? Not really. Imagine what that £135m could get you with good scouting and planning. Dortmund, Juventus, athletico...they'd have a fecking field day with that much cash to spend. But we fritter it away then moan that we need to spend even more. It's not acceptable. Ferguson never complained about lack of money, he knuckled down and kept building winning teams. If Jose can't do that with the more than reasonable transfer budget we should find someone who can.

Nuts

Mkhitaryan and Lindelof cost about 58m in total.

City bought Mendy for 55m.

How does nobody see where Mourinho is coming from here?
He’s spent masses though on Lukaku and Pogba. If you look at what he’s spent it’s not a million miles off Guardiola’s spending.

It’s certainly not 15 points off.

And I’d argue that your Mendy example shows that City are being forced to pay over the odds because of the position they’re in with oil money.

Womp

idiot
He’s spent masses though on Lukaku and Pogba. If you look at what he’s spent it’s not a million miles off Guardiola’s spending.

It’s certainly not 15 points off.

And I’d argue that your Mendy example shows that City are being forced to pay over the odds because of the position they’re in with oil money.
Whilst true - CM and ST are arguably along with Inside forwards, probably the most expensive positions to buy top players in in football. You need to pay top money. Pep didn't need to as he had KDB, Silva and Aguero. We had Rooney, Carrick, Fellaini, Herrera, Schweinsteger, Morgan. Not even comparable. Not to add, one of those players we haven't even had available for over half the season.