Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanUtd

Supports
Feyenoord
Sounds more like a man who has no real desire to achieve anything at all with United, or any other club. I feel depressed just listening to him.

Coops73

I just don’t know what to think or where my head is at with regards to Mourinho and some of the players. We’ve just had a couple of really good results and going into the Sevilla game I was fairly confident but by the end of that game I was so deflated with apathy it reminded me of the way I felt when Van Gaal was in charge and that was a bit of a shock for me, the wife came into the living room and thought I’d snuffed it because I was so quite, then I wake up this morning to hear those comments from him and the way I felt reminded me of the Moyes “we should aspire to be like City” comment and I’m pissed off with myself because we’re 2nd to an exceptional City side and still in the FA cup and I’m wondering am I turning into a spoilt United fan or is it just that I want the sort of football that the likes of City, Liverpool and Spurs are playing, the sort of football that we used to play, that sometimes infuriating but exiting style that makes me shout at the tele and kick the dog with every emotion going.

I thought I was happy with where United are at in terms of the league and the season as a whole, I thought I was relatively happy with Mourinho as a manager, I thought I was happy having Pogba and Sanchez at United, so how can one game start to make me feel different? How can one silly (probably slightly misinterpreted) comment from the manager make me feel different? And how come the booze doesn’t even help when I’m watching United? And how come my paragraphs are so big?

Answers on a post card.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
In a honesty i think and i am not trying to up jose mourinho here, but i do seriously believe that the point he wanted to make is that we lack the maturity and will power to go past a certain stage in ucl specially when the stage is the one that tests the mettle of our players. I agree that the game plan against Seville is not very spectacular but with the quality of players we have up front, we should trust them to man up and play like we are seriously in the championship. Every one is praising Lukaku, but i think he did not play well yesterday. Missing sitters from close range. Not running into the channels. Not collecting the ball with control. He did push around players later in the second half but it was no where to be seen in the first half of the game. Sanchez actually created a lot of chances even though he did loose few balls while creating those chances. Rashford was also bang average. Bailey and Young actually showed intelligence while both valencia and smalling were atrocious with their decision making. Scot was poor against Seville in our first game so it was only right not to pick such a young lad for such a serious game. Jose is being the devil here saying such a thing about us getting knocked out but hopefully players will take it on them and bring back our love for the team by showing class in the league and fa cup. Forever United.

Get In Scholesy

Managers do deflect attention from players' performance. But here, he has not made it about him. He's rather made it about the club, saying "it has happened before and there's nothing new", also pointing at the results he himself achieved against us. That gives a bad vibe. It comes off as he's disrespecting the club, imo
Fair point. Still does include himself though.

I am surprised, but finally. It takes 7 pages of comment for this to come out.

yeah right, he is trying to deflect attentions away from his players, to himself, yeah, like always.
It was mentioned earlier than 7 pages.

Toddler

I just don’t know what to think or where my head is at with regards to Mourinho and some of the players. We’ve just had a couple of really good results and going into the Sevilla game I was fairly confident but by the end of that game I was so deflated with apathy it reminded me of the way I felt when Van Gaal was in charge and that was a bit of a shock for me, the wife came into the living room and thought I’d snuffed it because I was so quite, then I wake up this morning to hear those comments from him and the way I felt reminded me of the Moyes “we should aspire to be like City” comment and I’m pissed off with myself because we’re 2nd to an exceptional City side and still in the FA cup and I’m wondering am I turning into a spoilt United fan or is it just that I want the sort of football that the likes of City, Liverpool and Spurs are playing, the sort of football that we used to play, that sometimes infuriating but exiting style that makes me shout at the tele and kick the dog with every emotion going.

I thought I was happy with where United are at in terms of the league and the season as a whole, I thought I was relatively happy with Mourinho as a manager, I thought I was happy having Pogba and Sanchez at United, so how can one game start to make me feel different? How can one silly (probably slightly misinterpreted) comment from the manager make me feel different? And how come the booze doesn’t even help when I’m watching United? And how come my paragraphs are so big?

Answers on a post card.
I reckon there are many out here with the same thoughts and telly kickings, including myself. Asking themselves the same questions. It is sad.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really wanted to be reminded of that time Porto got gifted an away goal due to a refereeing mistake which cost us a good chance of winning another CL. Thanks Jose.

Fully Fledged

He’s a dick-head. He’s always been a dick-head. He always will be a dick-head. The fact he’s currently our manager hasn’t changed my opinion about him being a dick-head one bit. So him behaving like a dick-head doesn’t shock me. The performance he got out of his team tonight, though. That was shocking.
True. I expected him to get decisive and derisive when things go badly. The tactic team and performance was something else though.

Fully Fledged

That's not what he's saying.

What he is implying is that going out of CL once in while is a common denominator with Manchester United, not so much with him. Typical José blame-shifting, it's never his failing.
I took it that people have been saying this was not the United Way Well I beat the United Way under SAF twice with my way.

JoaquinJoaquin

Was listening to Jim White show on Talksport earlier and Tony Cascarino said he felt Jose had put the Liverpool game as the priority. Interesting concept.
Even if that was the case we have more than enough talent to beat that poor Sevilla side, even with you or I as manager.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trouble with Jose is his previous success in the CL has been with two sides who weren't actually big spenders, which he then leveraged to create an "us against the world' siege mentality to slay the giants they encountered. At United, its generally the inverse, where he is part of a giant where its impossible to recreate a similar siege mentality where the squad punch well above their collective weight - since in our case, the squad is already full of talent and on high wages. That's a recipe for getting outperformed by lesser sides who want it more.

BigCaine

Was listening to Jim White show on Talksport earlier and Tony Cascarino said he felt Jose had put the Liverpool game as the priority. Interesting concept.
If this was the case then why on earth would he go for a 0-0 away result? Why not try and kill the tie in the first leg itself.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Trouble with Jose is his previous success in the CL has been with two sides who weren't actually big spenders, which he then leveraged to create an "us against the world' siege mentality to slay the giants they encountered. At United, its generally the inverse, where he is part of a giant where its impossible to recreate a similar siege mentality where the squad punch well above their collective weight - since in our case, the squad is already full of talent and on high wages. That's a recipe for getting outperformed by lesser sides who want it more.

Funny enough i was saying the exact same thing to my mate last night while watching the game. He thrives on being the underdog. His biggest successes in his career is a testament to this both at Inter and Porto. Even chelsea when he first went there. Just listen to the things he says - he makes us sound like plucky underdogs at times. Obviously his actions speak way more loudly, and you only have to watch us play football to see this sort of thinking in action.

Not sure what the future holds for him here. Be interesting to see how he reacts to all this. History would suggest that he'll carry on doing what he does.

Seveneric

So he basically picked bragging rights over a chance to advance in a cup, interesting. Obviously losing to Liverpool sucks harder than any other loss, but it still wouldn't improve United's chances at the league (2nd or 3rd).

RedCurry

Caf reaction to the comments: "Mourinho is a traitor, he's made a point we don't like, and it upsets us, we played poor and lost and he can't say things like that."

My reaction: "Ok."
More like, he talks all the time about leaders and mentality but when the club truly needs a leader and a manager with strong mentality, he's shitting the bed.

Fully Fledged

I’ve already explained what he’s saying there. It clearly isn’t anything other than an “I’ve seen United go out of the CL before and United bounced back” but if people want to make mountains out of mole hills, then I suppose they will.
How do you know that's what he meant have you phoned and asked? :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion of what he meant but other people are free to see it their way. The I've told you what he meant and anybody who has a different opinion is making a mountain out of a mole hill is extremely opinionated as if only your opinion can be right.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So he basically picked bragging rights over a chance to advance in a cup, interesting. Obviously losing to Liverpool sucks harder than any other loss, but it still wouldn't improve United's chances at the league (2nd or 3rd).
According to Cascarino. I haven't heard the piece so I'd be interested to hear what he's basing that assertion on.

We should definitely have had enough to plan for both games and been able to compete in (and win) both. There's no way I'm buying our exertions in the Liverpool game naturally led to that shite last night, and if somebody from the club did insinuate that I'd be highly displeased.

But Jose would have been pilloried for resting players in the Liverpool game, I don't recall anyone at the time saying that should be an option and so I don't see how Jose has in any way prioritised the Liverpool game ahead of last nights'. I think he treated both as important games, which they were.

ants7

The bipolarity with Jose is overwhelming. On one hand - we've had some great results and great moments. On the other hand - each defeat we get is so damaging that every single positive feeling is killed and we're back to square one. Mostly because when we've been beaten, it's not because opposition has been that great but because we have not turned up or Jose is fecking up his tactics. And that's much more depressing than simply losing against a good side while putting up a fight. And to top it up - Jose seems to take no responsibility while everyone who sees the game realizes that it is his fault. He could manage this situation better. BUT, I guess this is what you get with Jose.

Fully Fledged

Please explain how it's arrogant to make a comment like, it's happened before it'll happen again? More a statement of fact, but as we lost the mob are out for blood, showing a great level of support by throwing insults at the manager and the usual players.
You missed the parts where he said I beat you then I beat you again. It wasn't just us losing it was him beating us.

Esquire

It’s a pretty crappy

Answers on a post card.
Mate this stream of consciousness is ripe for some psycho-analysis. But seriously, I think a lot of us are feeling the same way. The reason why one game can turn all previous feel good factors is because, deep down, a lot of us feel (even the some of the previous Mou supporter like myself) are increasingly coming around to the fact that Mou does not fit into the ethos of what United should be and how it plays. When the results do not overcome the ultra conservative tactics which is his default setting, our dissatisfaction against his default setting bubbles up again.

Fully Fledged

..or that it has happened before and wasn't a disaster in the end for the club. He didn't make the point very well as can be seen from the number of ways it has been taken.
Then why bring up him beating us twice in the knock out stages? He made it all about him in my opinion.

Djemba-Djemba

It’s a pretty crappy

Mate this stream of consciousness is ripe for some psycho-analysis. But seriously, I think a lot of us are feeling the same way. The reason why one game can turn all previous feel good factors is because, deep down, a lot of us feel (even the some of the previous Mou supporter like myself) are increasingly coming around to the fact that Mou does not fit into the ethos of what United should be and how it plays. When the results do not overcome the ultra conservative tactics which is his default setting, our dissatisfaction against his default setting bubbles up again.
This is how I feel. I've backed Jose all season but last night was so bad, it had an air of finality to it. He's never going to change his style and it's never going to suit Utd. The best we can hope for is to finish top 4 and win the cup.

Jose can leave having won 3 trophies in 2 years and helped us make the CL two years running for the first time since Fergie. Not what we all hoped for when he became boss but not bad really. He can go to PSG

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How do you know that's what he meant have you phoned and asked? :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion of what he meant but other people are free to see it their way. The I've told you what he meant and anybody who has a different opinion is making a mountain out of a mole hill is extremely opinionated as if only your opinion can be right.
:lol: Exactly what I was thinking. I guess some people just know everything and everyone else is always wrong.

People are free to interpret it how they want and from what I’ve seen it’s mainly come across as a proper shit and negative comment/s from mourinho.

Personally I’m not happy with what he said, there’s a million and one different ways to deflect attention from players if that was his aim.

Canagel

This. He's operating outside of his comfort zone at a club like United who have traditions and a DNA of attacking football. We are not Porto or Inter Milan. Its going to be interesting to see what happens going forward and if he can cope with this dynamic. He wants to do it his way and has been given a lot of money to do so but it isn't working so something has to change.

Renegade81

Hes a shitbag and that seemingly seeps to the players. Some aspects are a carbon of LVG, except with apparently better players to boot.

Its a crime the shit he has us serving up. Our games are usually patterned with an ok 1st or 2nd half then following or followed by an extreme shit show. Its absolutely embarrassing. Its not once in a while either, its so consistent its beggars belief. What are our coaches doing?

I really dont really understand how a team can look so fecking inept of ideas and find extreme levels of difficulties in basic passing. Would love to see a full training session i really would. It truly is awful to watch. Surely our story with Mourinho has run its course, now. What will it actually take to go our separate ways?

quethenoo

He's clearly just saying that United have been eliminated before at this stage and will bounce back from it, whilst at the same time perhaps covering his own arse a bit. It's more the "I did my best, the players did their best." quotes that worry me. If that is the best then...well, you get the idea.

Kapardin

Sounds more like a man who has no real desire to achieve anything at all with United, or any other club. I feel depressed just listening to him.
Sounds more like a person who knows he cannot find any excuses to hide behind for this debacle, which was purely on him, and started mouthing off things which he probably would wish he hadn't said, on second thought. It was defiance manifesting as a moronic statement.

Underestimating Sevilla, bad tactics, bad selection -- this is the only game I can remember when the blame is 100% on him, and not one bit on the players.

I rate his quote up there with LvG's "the fans expect too much" and Moyes "we aspire to be like City". Completely unacceptable, but I don't think he deliberately meant to insult the club, no sane employer of a company would insult the hand that feeds him. And no, PSG are not eager to swoop down on him either, its' success here or bust.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I abhor knee jerk reactions but his post match comments trouble me. He should have taken equal blame for last night and not laid it squarely at the players feet. There was no excuse for not beating a team of Sevilles caliber at home.

RedDevil@84

He's clearly just saying that United have been eliminated before at this stage and will bounce back from it, whilst at the same time perhaps covering his own arse a bit. It's more the "I did my best, the players did their best." quotes that worry me. If that is the best then...well, you get the idea.
He also said we had a good first half :D

daveoliver91

Hi guys, you may have already posted this here, but when Mourinho says that Real Madrid defeated United, that was on 2012-13. That same year, though, with Fergie in command, we won the Premier League.
I am sure Mourinho didn't think about this when he said that.

Have a good night everyone.

R'hllor

Reading posts in this thread, must say, Ty would be proud of some.

Fully Fledged

Common sense is a powerful thing.
It's debatable whether it exists or not. What is it? Where does it come from and how does it work?

Believe me after teaching kids and training adults there is nothing that you can take for granted that everybody knows.

Now in the point you are making. If common sense exists and your view was in fact common sense then everyone would believe it. The fact that not everybody agrees with you would suggest that either common sense doesn't exist or what you are saying just isn't common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.