Mourinho's post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad

Reminds me of when Moyes finally beat Man Utd with Everton. Except from he was the Utd coach.

UnitedForever123

Shocking thing to say from Jose it's as if he was boasting about it. We are quick enough to say some of the players aren't showing desire or fighting spirit during the game but where is his.

Guarantee if Moyes or LVG had have came out with a statement like that after that game last night they would have been gone.

Adebesi

Absolutely extraordinary and bizarre comments.

I get that he wanted to downplay the significance of the loss. I get that he doesnt want to dwell on it, and instead to focus on the competitions we have still to play for. But this was not the way to do it.

I would call it tactless, but that kind of implies the offence was accidental. Im not sure it even was. I actually think he was being intentionally antagonistic. Given the choice between spoiling for a fight or avoiding one, he will always take the more confrontational option.

Water Melon

Woody is starting to look around for possible options, I hope. This is going to be a very interesting summer.

Swift Football

I am a big fan of Jose but comments like these is concerning. Rather than taking blame/responsibility he said something that translates to "United has been shite in CL, I had knocked out UTD when UTD were playing UTD way , so u can't blame me or my style." Totally unacceptable to me.

Sevilla defeat has become our highlight of this season, which has otherwise been a fairly good season. Such a shame.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I took it as a crap way of him saying 'it's a disappointment but it's not the end of the world - it's nothing new, it's happened before, but it is a disappointment.' The fact he uses the word "delusion" rather than "disappointment" (which I admit I'm interpreting) further obscures his meaning.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If he didn't constantly indulge in wars of words with reporters, pundits and fellow managers then he wouldn't have to sit there, embarrassed and plainly lying, when things go wrong.

Kapardin

Shocking thing to say from Jose it's as if he was boasting about it. We are quick enough to say some of the players aren't showing desire or fighting spirit during the game but where is his.

Guarantee if Moyes or LVG had have came out with a statement like that after that game last night they would have been gone.
It basically means "I knocked out United with Porto, Madrid and now I knocked out United again" -- insert Trollface.

I mean...talk about moronic, that comment is like twitter banter....simply speechless.

Carolina Red

Staff
It's debatable whether it exists or not. What is it? Where does it come from and how does it work?

Believe me after teaching kids and training adults there is nothing that you can take for granted that everybody knows.

Now in the point you are making. If common sense exists and your view was in fact common sense then everyone would believe it. The fact that not everybody agrees with you would suggest that either common sense doesn't exist or what you are saying just isn't common sense.
1. You're talking to a public school teacher.

2. You don't seem to know the definition of "common sense". Per the Oxford Dictionary - "Good sense and sound judgement in practical matters"

There's a reason why "common sense isn't all that common" is an idiom.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Last night as an unbelievably traumatic experience for the players, Mourinho had to dig around for something that he could say to divert every last bit of additional vitriol away from them.

Fully Fledged

1. You're talking to a public school teacher.

2. You don't seem to know the definition of "common sense". Per the Oxford Dictionary - "Good sense and sound judgement in practical matters"

There's a reason why "common sense isn't all that common" is an idiom.
If common sense isn't common then it doesn't exist. If you take away the common then all you are left with is sense.

There is a large movement that agrees that common sense is a myth.

1974_Fergie_Time

With his 'Everything needs to change' comment , he knows we are not ready to compete in the later stages of this competition and bowing out gracefully to Sevilla is easier to take than getting through to next round and getting hammered 5-0 by the likes of Bayern, Real, or Barca.

UnitedForever123

With his 'Everything needs to change' comment , he knows we are not ready to compete in the later stages of this competition and bowing out gracefully to Sevilla is easier to take than getting through to next round and getting hammered 5-0 by the likes of Bayern, Real, or Barca.
Ridiculous comment bowing out gracefully, we never even gave it a go last night.

Hughie77

He picked the wrong starting 11, and he knows he did, there was no excuse for a display like that. To say ok it' not the 1st time Utd have lost at home in c/l. Then example the times he was opposition manager poor reply . Both times I think one team went on to win it other to semi or final. Seville won't get past next round.
I can' believe after the 3 games before how bad it was, terrible walking pace at times, it was the last 16 in Europe elite comp, and we played like it was a testimonial? Perhaps it was. HIS. Because can' see the board putting up with that again on any level.. Seville are not a good side..very very frustrating ..

NFM

This 'Seville is not a good side' is silly and frankly insulting, have some humility. They are currently the 'Arsenal' of La Liga, but much more successful over the last few years. Who still on their day can beat most teams. Seville are in the Copa del Ray final again. They are a formidable Cup side. It is very disingeneous to call them poor. Their defence and midfield is better than say Liverpool.
Of course United could and should have played better, with more tempo. But it was always going to be a tight game, there is little between the two sides. While Felaini was on, our midfield coped. When Pogba came on, their midfield ran into ocean's of space. That made the difference. That and Sanchez staying on the pitch when Lingard was removed.
However these two games show how little 'extra' United get for paying very high prices for players. The likes of Seville operate on a much smaller budget and yet buy similarly equipped players. There are very very few players in the world worth the high transfer fees demanded by some clubs for some players with the conivance of some agents. There are very many 'very good' players , very much at the same level, some of which are available for modest fees even when money bags United come shopping. Two very decent no8s should be bought for less than the price obtained for Pogba from Madrid. It won't suddenly make United 'Champions', but will go a good step towards it.

UnitedForever123

This 'Seville is not a good side' is silly and frankly insulting, have some humility. They are currently the 'Arsenal' of La Liga, but much more successful over the last few years. Who still on their day can beat most teams. Seville are in the Copa del Ray final again. They are a formidable Cup side. It is very disingeneous to call them poor. Their defence and midfield is better than say Liverpool.
Of course United could and should have played better, with more tempo. But it was always going to be a tight game, there is little between the two sides. While Felaini was on, our midfield coped. When Pogba came on, their midfield ran into ocean's of space. That made the difference. That and Sanchez staying on the pitch when Lingard was removed.
However these two games show how little 'extra' United get for paying very high prices for players. The likes of Seville operate on a much smaller budget and yet buy similarly equipped players. There are very very few players in the world worth the high transfer fees demanded by some clubs for some players with the conivance of some agents. There are very many 'very good' players , very much at the same level, some of which are available for modest fees even when money bags United come shopping. Two very decent no8s should be bought for less than the price obtained for Pogba from Madrid. It won't suddenly make United 'Champions', but will go a good step towards it.
This has been the worst Seville side in recent years also though. Player for player we have a strong enough squad that should have knocked Seville out, its the way we played and the selection.

AndyJ1985

Well no, we're certainly not ready to compete with his negative cowardly attitude. And what do you mean by "bowing out gracefully"? Nothing about us is graceful.

NFM

This has been the worst Seville side in recent years also though. Player for player we have a strong enough squad that should have knocked Seville out, its the way we played and the selection.
Player for player the two sides are reasonably well matched. They drew home and away with Liverpool this year.
Football is not played 'on paper' or on video games. Its real people on a piece of grass. A top 5 side in la Liga is very comparable, some would argue, better, than a top 5 side in the Premier League. Thinking otherwise is delusional. United are a top 5 EPL side, not more, not less. They will most often lose against the top 2 sides in La Liga and the top side in the EPL. They will have very close games with all the rest in both leagues.
On average United players are no better than the players of the other top sides, but slightly worse than City, Barca and Madrid.
That can change, but it will take time, the others aren't exactly standing still either.

Canagel

They got knocked out by Leicester. That's all I'm going to say.

saivet

Come on mate. We'll see it in the next round.

This is a side Leicester knocked out last season, let's not pretend they are a good team. The worst team left in the competition to me.

Drz

Oddly the only comfort i got at the office was the PSG fans worrying Jose is angling for a paycheck because he is being lined-up by the Qataris... Lol

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Sounds like he's trying to convince himself it wasn't his fault more than anything. His defensiveness is incredibly boring at this stage.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Leicester have drawn with City, Chelsea and United and beaten Spurs this season. So?
They also lost against Watford, Crystal Palace and Everton and drew against West Ham. Basically they are not really a good team but logically they can have decent results against good team from time to time.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Well, you can't say he isn't controversial, that's for sure. If any other manager said something like that it would leave me in stitches.

Mourinho's approach to both legs was an insult to the history, traditions and stature of Manchester United.
We'll survive. We survived him kicking us twice, remember?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sounds like he's trying to convince himself it wasn't his fault more than anything. His defensiveness is incredibly boring at this stage.
Yeh. I'm actually pretty numb to any of his comments.

Anyway, is there any "big" manager out there that isn't like what he's doing now? I don't remember of how Fergie did it?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Oddly the only comfort i got at the office was the PSG fans worrying Jose is angling for a paycheck because he is being lined-up by the Qataris... Lol
:lol:

Can you imagine? Jose can't get along with a chilled guy like Pogba, but he's going to manage an egomaniac like Neymar?? Jose wouldn't last 6 months in the job.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yeh. I'm actually pretty numb to any of his comments.

Anyway, is there any "big" manager out there that isn't like what he's doing now? I don't remember of how Fergie did it?
Sir Alex very rarely made it about himself but then again he didn't have any need to prove himself - he had a sense of security that Mourinho's never had. That's both an internal and external thing. All of the other ridiculousness - blindly biased comments, attacking the other, claiming it's all going against us - was there, but they rarely lingered or lead to repeated personal wars. Mourinho personalises everything.

Gypsyblue

Supports
Chelsea
Jose today is a very different beast to the one who burst into Chelsea in 2005, then he was nearly always positive in interviews, if still aggressive at times it was often covered with rapier sharp wit or jokes. He's team's were whilst defensively organised, they also reflected his sharpness in adapting to situations, it wasn't uncommon for him to alter the formation after 20 mins when something wasn't working and then change instantly back when he got the desired improvement and then change again ... the second Jose at chelsea was completely different, dour prickly and off the pitch and dogmatic and negative on the pitch ... i thought at that time that he had become a man who had no love for the sport and generally resented the players to a degree where he was no longer interested in really forging relationships with the team and overly creating his famed team spirit... my feeling is he in truth, not just at United but at any league club just doing enough to earn his keep untill such time he either takes the semi part time Portugal job which may suit his motivation's or retire's.. anyway good luck for the rest of the season .

Drz

:lol:

Can you imagine? Jose can't get along with a chilled guy like Pogba, but he's going to manage an egomaniac like Neymar?? Jose wouldn't last 6 months in the job.
Too true, that said he did manage Cristiano...
He'd have the entire Brazilian contingent trying to run him out of the club :)

C'est Moi Cantona

His ego is more important to him than anything else, he'd have that comment lined up the night before just in case he needed it, very sad, but he just can't help himself.

MaroonDevil

Not only his football tactic is cowardly but also refusing to apologize to public is an example of cowardice.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoaquinJoaquin

Sevilla are a poor side as much as you want to sugar coat it. They are at the worst they have been in the last few years and had absolutely no intention of winning the game last night until we played perfectly into their hands. Was on Jose and the players for why we went out, not Sevilla being a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.