Mourinho's team selections

JohnnyKills

Anyone else feel like this is the main reason why we're playing so badly at the moment? It has never felt like we've played our strongest available XI consistently under Mourinho.

There's always some sort of message he's trying to dictate to a dropped player or some bizarre exclusion that stops us playing our strongest side. For the last few games I've looked at the team selection pre match and just knew the game was going to be a pile of shite.

Personally can't wait to have a manager that knows how to pick a well balanced team again.
He's picking the players who will try for him, which is an indictment in itself. Fergie never needed to do this; every single player ran for him.

Foxbatt

Drop Lukaku and play a front three of Sanchez, Martial and Rashford with Pogba, Fred and Herrera in midfield. He would never do that.

AndyJ1985

The teams we're putting out are appalling. Consider we've spent over half a billion pounds in the last 4 years and then look at the first team. How is it possible to end up with such an abysmal shower of shit for such a vast sum of money? It's as if we're purposely being sabotaged

luke511

Why would you want to have a striker who has poor first touch, the worst step over & poor ball control to play on the right?
1. We don't have a proper right winger
2. It stops him playing as striker
3. His best technical moments have come from him on the right channel

luke511

The teams we're putting out are appalling. Consider we've spent over half a billion pounds in the last 4 years and then look at the first team. How is it possible to end up with such an abysmal shower of shit for such a vast sum of money? It's as if we're purposely being sabotaged
It's one of two things, he's either completely lost it and is one of the worst managers in a job right now in the country, or he's purposefully ruining our squad and club.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1. We don't have a proper right winger
2. It stops him playing as striker
3. His best technical moments have come from him on the right channel
1) Lukaku isn't a proper winger.
2) I would rather see him playing as a striker than a winger because scoring goals is his highest strength that he can offer.
3) That's more of a tactical not technical where he moves from centre to the right as a result it also drags the centre back to be out of position which gives space for the other players. A player who plays on the right is different with a striker who moves into channels or moving into wide areas to receive the ball.

Canagel

The guy needed a win and he leaves 5 players in Defense and takes off his most influential player. He clearly actively is trying to lose there’s no way round it.
This. He kept the four defensive midfielders on for the whole game. When you need a goal you make attacking sub but no he made straight like for like sub (taking the best player off) and one enforced sub due to injury. In my mind that's two attempts at sabotaging result this season. First came at West Ham and second was today.
He knows his time here is done and will continue to drag the club through the mud in order to prove a point. A real pity Ed and the board have no clue about football or else he would be leaving tonight . He could've gone after west ham as well

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The formation and structure of play he chose to use today was exactly identical to the one against west ham where we got trashed. It was an awkward 532 with martial/rashford up front with Lukaku and towers/pylons in the the middle of the park.

He played that formation against west ham because he thought they would be playing long balls. The game previous to that west ham had just won a game 8-0 playing the ball on the ground.

He literally is putting no effort into tactical analysis anymore - no doubt about that.

I posted this in the match day thread before the game today.
This is a team we could have played with our options on the bench even taking into account match fitness:

Ddg
Dalot Jones Matic Shaw
Herrara
Fred Pogba
Mata Rashford Martial

Easy easy win. They were atrocious

luke511

1) Lukaku isn't a proper winger.
2) I would rather see him playing as a striker than a winger because scoring goals is his highest strength that he can offer.
3) That's more of a tactical not technical where he moves from centre to the right as a result it also drags the centre back to be out of position which gives space for the other players. A player who plays on the right is different with a striker who moves into channels or moving into wide areas to receive the ball.
I already know all this, I was choosing from the squad available today, I'd have him sold back to Everton if it was up to me.

el3mel

He plays there for Belgium and does quite well, so reason not to try that.

It'll be more like United 2008 with Martial-Rashford-Lukaku being a flexible trio. No fixed positions and unpredictable.
Lukaku and "flexible" don't mix. It's the hope that kills.

And which role is he going to play from this trio ? Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez weren't immobile and having a touch of a Sunday league player.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He plays there for Belgium and does quite well, so reason not to try that.

It'll be more like United 2008 with Martial-Rashford-Lukaku being a flexible trio. No fixed positions and unpredictable.
"quite well"? But he did better as a striker than as a RW in Belgium.

United 2008 is a fluid front three with world class technical ability. Lukaku has poor off ball movement.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I already know all this, I was choosing from the squad available today, I'd have him sold back to Everton if it was up to me.
You know all of those but still insisting to play him as a RW which a position that neglect his strength.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Lukaku and "flexible" don't mix. It's the hope that kills.

And which role is he going to play from this trio ? Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez weren't immobile and having a touch of a Sunday league player.
If it works for Belgium, then you have any reason other than your opinion to say it won't? Maybe you are right, but we can at least give it a try. Can't get any worse than current.

Dude, when soneone mentions a past team...it's a idea...not an exact recreation.

el3mel

If it works for Belgium, then you have any reason other than your opinion to say it won't? Maybe you are right, but we can at least give it a try. Can't get any worse than current.

Dude, when soneone mentions a past team...it's a idea...not an exact recreation.
You're overstating how he's good for Belgium tbh. He's flat track bully for them, and they have KDB and Hazard behind him as well. I see nothing with Belgium to suggest he's any different from here, they just have world class players around him that's all. He still looks like never getting any chances to score in any big games.

Best thing to do with Rom is to sell him for the least loss possible.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You keep saying works for Belgium with no proof. We had given you a reason why he won't be able to play as RW due to his poor technical ability & poor off ball movement, his main strength is scoring goals not whipping crosses or playing in fluid front three. Never mind United 2008, he'll be on the bench if he's trying to compete in Liverpool's front fluid 3 now

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So, imagine you get the news you only have one fit centre back...

You'll have to find someone to play out of position at CB... Which won't be great, but hey, it's not like you're going to make two players do that to make things more difficult for yourself then they have to be right?

Plus you'll leave the system for the rest of the side, so it'll literally just be plugging a hole instead of totally changing things... Right?

And I mean it's Southampton... Not only are they not very good, but they really struggle to score goals, so we should probably think about taking the game to them right?

And then you pick this XI

The feck...

Foxbatt

He had Rojo. He just wants to prove a point that he needed Alderveirald from Spurs. This is why United could not beat Southampton.

luke511

You know all of those but still insisting to play him as a RW which a position that neglect his strength.
I didn't say specifically RW, he could be right wide forward in that formation? It's worked for Belgium, for example vs Brazil in the world cup. How is playing on the right neglecting his strength of scoring? Salah did a perfectly good job of it, so has Robben and countless other right sided attackers coming in from the right with a left foot. If it bothers you that much swap Lukaku and Rashford in that formation I posted and it is still a much better line up compared to todays. I see in a post above you say there's no 'proof' to back it up and you mention him not being able to "whip in crosses", there's many examples from last season where he's actually pinpoint with his crosses, a few leading to goals such as Lingard's header vs Chelsea. Give up, you're talking shite.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I dream of a day we can field a team where every player is in their natural position.

Whoever our next manager is we need to remove the option of certain players from him by selling them in the summer, if we'd have gotten rid of all our deadwood over the last couple of years then maybe we'd have been able to avoid games like today, if you give someone the option of playing such limited players then you run the risk of them actually being played. You could genuinely have sold 1/2 of that starting line up today and we'd be better for it. We need to start being ruthless as feck with our surplus.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I didn't say specifically RW, he could be right wide forward in that formation? It's worked for Belgium, for example vs Brazil in the world cup. How is playing on the right neglecting his strength of scoring? Salah did a perfectly good job of it, so has Robben and countless other right sided attackers coming in from the right with a left foot. If it bothers you that much swap Lukaku and Rashford in that formation I posted and it is still a much better line up compared to todays. I see in a post above you say there's no 'proof' to back it up and you mention him not being able to "whip in crosses", there's many examples from last season where he's actually pinpoint with his crosses, a few leading to goals such as Lingard's header vs Chelsea. Give up, you're talking shite.
You are doing this on purpose aren't you? I don't just say "whip in crosses", I also mention that he can't play in front fluid three, I'm trying to say that he can't play both as a RW & Wide Forward!! Don't try to tell me he's pinpoint with his cross, anyone can cross without under pressure. Today he tried deliver one cross and it wasn't pinpoint at all.

Have you forgotten the 3 points that you made and the 3 points that I made?

1) You were the one who said that we don't have natural right winger & that's why according to your suggestion we should play him there.
2 & 3) I did already say a player who plays on the right is different with a striker who moves into channels or moving into wide areas to receive the ball. That's more than enough to tell you that I was refering it as "right wide forward".

What you don't understand is that Robben & Salah has world class technical ability & off ball movement and that's why they are capable play in that role. Lukaku on the other hand, his main weakness are actually his technical ability & off ball movement. He's too static to play in fluid front three of right wide forward, his biggest asset that he can offer is scoring goals as a centre forward. I can't believe you even use Robben & Salah as comparison.

This is what you got if we play him on the right.

If he's that good on the right Martinez would have stick him on the right against France but he didn't. How is a player without technical ability, poor ball control, poor first touch & poor off ball movement can play in fluid front three?? Answer this question properly then you have the right to say I'm talking shite, I doubt you can.

luke511

You are doing this on purpose aren't you? I don't just say "whip in crosses", I also mention that he can't play in front fluid three, I'm trying to say that he can't play both as a RW & Wide Forward!! Don't try to tell me he's pinpoint with his cross, anyone can cross without under pressure. Today he tried deliver one cross and it wasn't pinpoint at all.

Have you forgotten the 3 points that you made and the 3 points that I made?

1) You were the one who said that we don't have natural right winger & that's why according to your suggestion we should play him there.
2 & 3) I did already say a player who plays on the right is different with a striker who moves into channels or moving into wide areas to receive the ball. That's more than enough to tell you that I was refering it as "right wide forward".

What you don't understand is that Robben & Salah has world class technical ability & off ball movement and that's why they are capable play in that role. Lukaku on the other hand, his main weakness are actually his technical ability & off ball movement. He's too static to play in fluid front three of right wide forward, his biggest asset that he can offer is scoring goals as a centre forward. I can't believe you even use Robben & Salah as comparison.

This is what you got if we play him on the right.

If he's that good on the right Martinez would have stick him on the right against France but he didn't. How is a player without technical ability, poor ball control, poor first touch & poor off ball movement can play in fluid front three?? Answer this question properly then you have the right to say I'm talking shite, I doubt you can.

This proves you're talking shite really, he's capable having an impact coming in from the right, we have moreorless zero options for us on that side so what's the harm in trying it as he's playing utter wank as striker anyway, end of. I don't even give that much of a feck anyway, it was a mere suggestion whilst replying to a question. I'm a lot more bothered about the likes of Matic, Fellaini and McTominay starting ahead of Fred and Pereira than where Lukaku plays. I'd happily see him sold in January.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was a disgraceful team selection. The instant it was named it was obvious we would play like shit, and honestly the most surprising thing about it was that we managed to score two goals.

Play either Matic or McTominay in the defence, not both of them. Have Fellaini play that defender/midfield hybrid role he did a couple of times earlier this season (or Herrera) to help protect them, and then play either Fred or Pereira next to Pogba so we can actually, you know, pass the ball properly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was a disgraceful team selection. The instant it was named it was obvious we would play like shit, and honestly the most surprising thing about it was that we managed to score two goals.

Play either Matic or McTominay in the defence, not both of them. Have Fellaini play that defender/midfield hybrid role he did a couple of times earlier this season (or Herrera) to help protect them, and then play either Fred or Pereira next to Pogba so we can actually, you know, pass the ball properly.
He would like you to play in midfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

This proves you're talking shite really, he's capable having an impact coming in from the right, we have moreorless zero options for us on that side so what's the harm in trying it as he's playing utter wank as striker anyway, end of. I don't even give that much of a feck anyway, it was a mere suggestion whilst replying to a question. I'm a lot more bothered about the likes of Matic, Fellaini and McTominay starting ahead of Fred and Pereira than where Lukaku plays. I'd happily see him sold in January.
You aren't answering my question from my previous post so I'll take it as "Yes I'm wrong, But I don't want to admit it".

Nothing is worse than using Robben & Salah as comparison to Lukaku.

And how is the Crystal Palace vs Manchester United proves that he's capable having an impact coming in from the right? He played as a striker in that game and scored from the centre not from the right. I have seen Mata made more impact on the right than Lukaku, but you prefer Lukaku on the right.

dar10nian

Fletchers biggest fan
He had Rojo. He just wants to prove a point that he needed Alderveirald from Spurs. This is why United could not beat Southampton.
Agree. This is toxic management from Mou. Bizarre team selections just to prove his point over the failure to sign Alderwereid. Deserves the sack.

luke511

You aren't answering my question so I'll take it as "Yes I'm wrong, But I don't want to admit it".

Nothing is worse than using Robben & Salah as comparison to Lukaku.

And how is the Crystal Palace vs Manchester United proves that he's capable having an impact coming in from the right? He played as a striker in that game and scored from the centre not from the right.
I'm not answering your questions? In your original post you replied to my "1. We don't have a proper right winger" with "1. Lukaku isn't a proper winger", you've repeated what I've said ie chatting absolute shite. You're creating arguments and completely missing the point. I've proved you wrong with the "can't whip a cross" comment, I've proved you wrong showing you with a gif that he is effective coming in from the right therefore has potential of playing a right based role in the team. When I mentioned Robben and Salah, I was referring to the potential right sided left footed players have positionally to score goals cutting in from the right side, not their specific skill level. That last point makes me realise that you're just a pretty dumb person that can't really string a sentence together, where do I mention Crystal Palace? Cinabit, no more replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not answering your questions? In your original post you replied to my "1. We don't have a proper right winger" with "1. Lukaku isn't a proper winger", you've repeated what I've said ie chatting absolute shite. You're creating arguments and completely missing the point. I've proved you wrong with the "can't whip a cross" comment, I've proved you wrong showing you with a gif that he is effective coming in from the right therefore has potential of playing a right based role in the team. When I mentioned Robben and Salah, I was referring to the potential right sided left footed players have positionally to score goals cutting in from the right side, not their specific skill level. That last point makes me realise that you're just a pretty dumb person that can't really string a sentence together, where do I mention Crystal Palace? Cinabit, no more replies.
Let me ask you again the same question, How is a player without technical ability, poor ball control, poor first touch & poor off ball movement can play in fluid front three??

Cleverley has made some forward passes in his life, does it mean he is considered to be a player who is capable to make forward passes. We want consistent, the reason why Lukaku isn't playing on the right because he doesn't have the ability to deliver the cross in consistent basis, today he delivered a cross and it was poor.

It's not rocket science, even Scholes knows that Lukaku should be playing as a striker or no 9, there is a reason why Carragher thought that he's more a similar to RVN than Drogba because Lukaku's main asset is scoring goals just like RVN. Using Robben & Salah comparison is silly, if both of them lacks technique & intelligence to play on the right they won't be playing there just because they are left foot player who can score. And also you do realise Robben & Salah were originally winger, unlike Lukaku who is a pure striker.

I have seen Mata put better performance on the right than Lukaku and you choose Lukaku over Mata.

I also did already say a player who plays on the right is different with a striker who moves into channels or moving into wide areas to receive the ball. I thought you knew this?

Negan

On one side, I want him to do well. I honestly believe with the right team, he is the best manager in the world. I don’t think we’re gonna get anyone better.

On the other side, I can’t defend his fecking selections. I get he didn’t get the signings he wanted but surely even he can see that the likes of Young, Smalling, Jones and McTominay aren’t United quality? And he can’t even use the excuse that he has no one else. Cause he’s signed Bailly, Fred, Dalot and he’s brought through Pereira, Chong, Gomes and has the likes of Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah waiting for a callup. I honestly believe we wouldn’t be much worse giving these lads a run of games.

I want to defend him. I want him to stay but his selections contradict everything I want from United. I don’t want these players here. It’s as simple as that.

Theonas

Scout
So, imagine you get the news you only have one fit centre back...

You'll have to find someone to play out of position at CB... Which won't be great, but hey, it's not like you're going to make two players do that to make things more difficult for yourself then they have to be right?

Plus you'll leave the system for the rest of the side, so it'll literally just be plugging a hole instead of totally changing things... Right?

And I mean it's Southampton... Not only are they not very good, but they really struggle to score goals, so we should probably think about taking the game to them right?

And then you pick this XI

The feck...
I usually never comment on game day tactics and selection because I just feel I don't understand tactics enough. I also don't subscribe to the view that Mourinho is a particularly defensive manager because I think it's methods and focus in building a team simply leads to a situation where playing defensive is the only viable option he ends up with. But today's comments that he felt playing with only one unnatural CB made him feel he needs extra protection in defense again of all teams, Southampton is just really bizarre.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's Jose and his trying to prove a point to Woodward pretending he has no other options in defence because he wasn't allowed to buy Harry Maguire .

This is more important to Jose than actually picking the right players in their right positions and trying to win the match

This is his excuse if and when he gets sacked . I wasn't backed enough . Pure garbage like his football
He ain't fooling anybody with this. Maybe he can convince or delude himself that he wasn't backed but he was, he barely Fred and Dalot and all the other players he's bought have been underwhelming or inconsistent

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He's picking the players who will try for him, which is an indictment in itself. Fergie never needed to do this; every single player ran for him.
Pogba? :lol:

I love your sense of humour....