Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCanuck

I suppose hindsight is 20/20. Cleverley didn't have the best of matches at anfield. However, if someone told you we would manage 57% possession over there and limit them to almost no chances you wouldn't believe them. We've always struggled there because of the game raising cnuts they are. But it was honestly the best we've played in terms of possession and limiting danger that I can remember. I do believe that Cleverley and Carrick had a lot to do with that. Its just a shame we chose the wrong attacking players (Giggs! Young!) to provide the cutting edge.
No argument there. I guess the test for Moyes is how does he send United out from here on. Without knowing fitness levels, and it is only 3 games after all, I would have preferred a different starting 11.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So why were we suddenly in for Khedira (he himself confirmed we bid) on deadline day? It's not just Woodward who seems a bit flakey is it? I expect a United manager to know who and what he wants, and if he can not get it, be calm enough and not to panic or make rash decisions and jump from target to target... he must have been really desperate for a midfielder.
Some articles suggesting he wanted BOTH Khedira and Fellaini... Did he not go after Fabregas and maybe Thiago, which suggests he saw a need for some creativity in midfield. Now his plan might have been to plant
A twin tower in cm and be done with it?

And what's up with the strong chase for a left back as well, can't say I look forward to some 5 at the back formation with wingbacks...

I am really happy we've got the man I wanted in Fellaini, but it seems both Moyes and Woodward have been quite noob-ish this summer.

Name Changed

weso26
I suppose hindsight is 20/20. Cleverley didn't have the best of matches at anfield. However, if someone told you we would manage 57% possession over there and limit them to almost no chances you wouldn't believe them. We've always struggled there because of the game raising cnuts they are. But it was honestly the best we've played in terms of possession and limiting danger that I can remember. I do believe that Cleverley and Carrick had a lot to do with that. Its just a shame we chose the wrong attacking players (Giggs! Young!) to provide the cutting edge.

I'm not so sure. Liverpool just sat back and let us have the ball. We created very few chances. When they did attack, they looked more dangerous. They took an early lead and I never for once felt they were going to lose it. Cleverley had plenty of possession but running side to side with it creates no penetration at all, and everything we did was so pedestrian. We gave Liverpool all the time in the world they needed to regroup, every time.

MDFC Manager

Not sure if this has been said yet, but the failed Coentrao loan bid says that we might be open to such loan deals in the future. Something which SAF didn't appear to be too keen on.

Drifter

American
It's open season from the media on Moyes , even making up stories of a rift between him and RVP.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's open season from the media on Moyes , even making up stories of a rift between him and RVP.
The more the media do this, the more I am starting to get behind Moyes. They were scared shitless of Fergie and now feel it is open season to give Moyes and United a good kicking. Unfortunately some of the fans are joining in. I was not happy with our dealings during the transfer market, but I won't stand there and let the bloody press do this.

Bestie07

The more the media do this, the more I am starting to get behind Moyes. They were scared shitless of Fergie and now feel it is open season to give Moyes and United a good kicking. Unfortunately some of the fans are joining in. I was not happy with our dealings during the transfer market, but I won't stand there and let the bloody press do this.
Media will be all over any team as soon as they smell blood. Remember De Gea's start, he made a few mistakes, but the way press kept on going about him it seemed that he was a ticking time bomb. Almost to the extent that it seemed they wanted to see him fail. But then he didn't give them any chance to get on his back and look at him now, widely considered as one of the best keepers out there. Same should apply to Moyes. All this will stop once we start winning games. That there is this big international break right after the close of transfer window certainly hasn't done him any favors. And if we don't perform well on the pitch, they will keep on reminding us again and again about this window, taking potshots at United's conduct as a club that they haven't been able to for two decades. So all Moyes needs to do now is to, you know, get us play some good football and win football matches.

Drifter

American
Moyes was never my first choice , but i'm willing to see what he can do,but yes there are some who never wanted him here and have doubts of his ability to manage Man United.Hopefully he can win them over.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't see why he should be getting stick yet. We hammered Swansea away, controlled the game against favorites Chelsea but simply couldn't score and lost a scrappy affair away to Liverpool, a place where I've seen us play worse and win.

Defensively I think we have looked strong.

Its also worth mentioning we have been without Rafael, Nani, Kagawa, Rooney and Hernandez

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I will give him 2 years with full support, I think that's fair enough amount of time.

Canuckred64

While I am on record as saying that the appointment of Moyes was a mistake and that United were in danger of repeating the same mistakes that the club made after Busby retired, I believe that it is too early to be overly critical.
Not only has United had to replace the best manger in football, they have replaced Gill a top CEO with a novice in Woodward and seen their Chief of Scouting and the club's solicitor leave as well. It was always going to be a tough learning curve for Moyes throughout the first transfer window and the start of the season, especially given the clubs weakness in midfield and the tough fixtures to start the season.
Even with all my doubts about Moyes, I am willing to let Moyes take United through another transfer window, a couple of rounds of the FA Cup and through the Group stage of the Champions League before I make any snap judgments.
By early March we will have a good handle on what kind of season United is going to have. Until then I am going to keep my criticism to myself and avoid looking like a Liverpool or Chelsea supporter in the way they dealt with mangers they didn’t like.

Julian Denny

Clearly we are going to have to be very patient as Moyes settles in. This is going to be a long term project and no doubt the club intend giving him time. How much time the fans are prepared to give him is another matter. He's conservative by nature and now more so given the magnitude of the job at hand. Because of this he's going to stick with what he knows and trusts - hence the prominent role so far of Ryan Giggs. Unlike his predecessor, there's nothing of the gambler in him. Needless to say his task is a mammoth one and whilst its still very early days, the start has been steady and unspectacular. A better transfer window would have helped not only in strengthening the team, which everyone, Moyes included, accepts needs strengthening, but also to make a statement that Moyes can actually attract a top player and that the club are prepared to give him what he needs to do just that. Unfortunately it didn't happen and its a setback. How big a setback only time will tell.

The_Midfielder

Not sure what happened in the transfer window..but the media have been giving him a hard time... The press forget that since we signed Felliani, we have strengthened and not regressed... Anyway i am all behind me.. after all the beleaguering provided by the press it would be sweet to win that premier league :)

Suedesi

He identified one incredibly unrealistic target who nobody thought we'd ever get (which bore out as true) and two people from his former club, a significant level below us. One of which we didn't need. At both ends of the spectrum he seems out of kilter so far. He also then decided to go for another two players right on deadline day. This is just as much his fault as Woodwards.

As I said, give him time, but you can't absolve him entirely of this summer. The identification of targets has been shocking IMO, whilst other teams have found shed loads of players to fit their needs. And in the end, regardless of the shenanigans, we've ended up bringing in one player, from Everton. If I wasn't a United fan, I'd find that very amusing.
Apart from the transfer window, which has been an unmitigated disaster, I'm mystified at why he decided or was allowed to dismantle the whole coaching staff. Obviously there were a lot of people that made Man Utd tick and while Ferguson was the most important of them all, you can't overlook the role of Meulensteen, Eric Steele, Phelan etc, which were gone once Moyes stepped in. I find that transition truly bizarre

Comsmit

Apart from the transfer window, which has been an unmitigated disaster, I'm mystified at why he decided or was allowed to dismantle the whole coaching staff. Obviously there were a lot of people that made Man Utd tick and while Ferguson was the most important of them all, you can't overlook the role of Meulensteen, Eric Steele, Phelan etc, which were gone once Moyes stepped in. I find that transition truly bizarre
Definitely bizarre, and a concern. Meulensteen is one of the best technical (and indeed tactical) coaches in Europe, and a huge influence on players at the club. Van Persie spoke of his utter admiration for him last season and one of the prime reasons for his successful first year at United. The training was "first class" and I'm not convinced Moyes and his team can replace that which is lost, not to mention the continuity and the effect on another generation of youngsters.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Moreso on Eric Steele, after his influence on DDG.

The only plus points are handling the Rooney and Nani situations. He seems overawed and may have thought that players jump at chance to play here. Unfortunately not. There seem to be more and more teams more attractive and paying better than us. Hope he learns from this window.

Title loss would result in unbelievably huge pressure on him next season which will be a do/die situation.

Skywarden

A bunch of conjectures I see. Many of the staff didn't want to work under anyone else which Moyes can only watch happen without influencing (Rene, Phelan, Steele etc.).

Man-United

Kendall predicted years ago that Moyes would succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at United but he was disappointed with the manner of his departure.
“He had 11 years at Everton and while he didn’t leave them with a bad team, he left them with nothing in terms of his contract,” said Kendall.
“Maybe, when his contract was running down, he could have signed for another 12 months with a buy-out clause.
“That buy-out clause, which United would have had to meet, would then have been a tribute to Everton Football Club.
“Evertonians wanted Liverpool to win against Manchester United last Sunday – that’s a first. I can’t remember that happening before.
“And that’s because they were disappointed at the way Moyes left the club. I know how they feel, because I mix with them and I speak at dinners which they attend and they tell me what they think.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...prove-Manchester-United-blasts-Howard-Kendall

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Feckin hell. Are Everton a bloody
Kendall predicted years ago that Moyes would succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at United but he was disappointed with the manner of his departure.
“He had 11 years at Everton and while he didn’t leave them with a bad team, he left them with nothing in terms of his contract,” said Kendall.
“Maybe, when his contract was running down, he could have signed for another 12 months with a buy-out clause.
“That buy-out clause, which United would have had to meet, would then have been a tribute to Everton Football Club.
“Evertonians wanted Liverpool to win against Manchester United last Sunday – that’s a first. I can’t remember that happening before.
“And that’s because they were disappointed at the way Moyes left the club. I know how they feel, because I mix with them and I speak at dinners which they attend and they tell me what they think.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...prove-Manchester-United-blasts-Howard-Kendall
Feckin hell, how friggin frustrating Everton are. They took every pound possible out of the Rooney and Fellaini deal (the latter we over paid by at least 6m) and that after signing players from us for peanuts. Their manager has given them 11 years, turning a skint club with a realistic chance of being relegated into a mid table club with good chances of reaching the UEFA cup. Why they want more then that? Their a bloody EPL club owned and lead by a millionare and not some poor kid living in a war torn third world country.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Feckin hell. Are Everton a bloody

Feckin hell, how friggin frustrating Everton are. They took every pound possible out of the Rooney and Fellaini deal (the latter we over paid by at least 6m) and that after signing players from us for peanuts. Their manager has given them 11 years, turning a skint club with a realistic chance of being relegated into a mid table club with good chances of reaching the UEFA cup. Why they want more then that? Their a bloody EPL club owned and lead by a millionare and not some poor kid living in a war torn third world country.
I'm not sure but those insulting offers for Fellaini and Baines or saying that Fellaini and Baines are held back by not leaving the club might have something to do with it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lets be honest. If one of us had written a self deprecating WUM of Moyes's first few months in charge, we' be hard pressed to top this without slipping into surrealism.

Obviously we should all "get behind him" and should be years off calling for his dismissal or anything of the sort, but it's incredibly disheartening how low rent his approach has been so far. The petty haggling and negotiation goofs may not be his fault, but the Cookish pursuing of Fabregas was, and the seeming indication that the only serious targets he had his heart set on where a couple of players from Everton, one of whom we didn't need, is exactly the kind of thing we'd been joking about all summer.

The idea of an upper mid table man with an upper mid table mindset promoted beyond his comfort zone has been the elephant in the room for months now. So far I've seen nothing to contradict it, sadly. The overwhelming impression of graft > creativity given by his recent team/sub selections in big games we didn't even score in doesn't help matters either.

I dearly hope to be proved wrong. These are just my concerns at this - admittedly very early - point.
Agree with all of that completely.

devilish

I'm not sure but those insulting offers for Fellaini and Baines or saying that Fellaini and Baines are held back by not leaving the club might have something to do with it.

I have criticized our initial bid for Baines and Fellaini myself. However its just an initial fee so no one should be surprised if its low. FFS we've been in a 'good relationship' (ie they take players from us on cheap while we've had to pay top dollar for each player signed by Everton) for years. Moyes have single handedly saved a sinking ship and brought it to the levels it is now. Why insisting on the 1-2m that they may have garnered from a minimum release clause over Moyes? The manager deserved to leave with Everton's blessing and Manchester United deserved to get the manager they wanted with no obstacles from Everton side.

amolbhatia50k

Everton fans come across as a bit pathetic going by this. What do they have against moyes? He's made a couple of comments about their players, that's all. The fact that he kept them in the top 6 to 8 for so long is a brilliant achievement. They would probably have been languishing in the lower half of the table if they had someone else. Wanting Liverpool to beat us is just sad :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I will give him 2 years with full support, I think that's fair enough amount of time.

Next summers transfer window will be vital, reckon 'off with his head' will be heard amongst the masses if we go trophyless this year and have to undergo a similar transfer window to this. If we play poorly this year and are off the pace and the only person coming in is Leighton Baines, then I'd be slightly disconcerted to say the least.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Everton fans come across as a bit pathetic going by this. What do they have against moyes? He's made a couple of comments about their players, that's all. The fact that he kept them in the top 6 to 8 for so long is a brilliant achievement. They would probably have been languishing in the lower half of the table if they had someone else. Wanting Liverpool to beat us is just sad :lol:

You'd think they'd have the brains to understand that any sane manager would pounce at the chance of joining a club like United, and he's given them a decade plus of service. Ungrateful bastards.

devilish

You'd think they'd have the brains to understand that any sane manager would pounce at the chance of joining a club like United, and he's given them a decade plus of service. Ungrateful bastards.

They are ungrateful towards both Moyes and Manchester United who gave them 3 proven players with CL experience (Gibson, P Nev and Howard) for around 7m. I hope that we will take in account to all that being said and done next time we're selling players.

amolbhatia50k

They have no reason to be grateful to us, devilish. That's silly.

Varun

Staff
I disagree. Getting 3 EPL proven players for 7m is a great bargain indeed.

A bargain because they bid the most or maybe the player wanted to go there? We didnt do them any favors either ways and hence they have nothing to be grateful about. You talk as if we turned down 20mil bids for Gibson to sell him on the cheap to Everton.

devilish

I am sure that we could get more for them. Btw Fellaini wanted to come to united and yet we still spent 27 m

Varun

Staff
I am sure that we could get more for them. Btw Fellaini wanted to come to united and yet we still spent 27 m

What are you basing this sureness on? You think we did them a favor even though we had better offers? why would that be?

And why should Everton sell their best/2nd best player to us on the cheap just because he wants to come? Did we do the same with Rooney and Chelsea?

devilish

What are you basing this sureness on? You think we did them a favor even though we had better offers? why would that be?

And why should Everton sell their best/2nd best player to us on the cheap just because he wants to come? Did we do the same with Rooney and Chelsea?
If you think that we couldnt get more out of phil nev, gibson and howard then be my guest. I suspect that we accepted those fees because everton are a good club and saf had always taken the players interest at heart expecially players from our youth academy who always gave us their 100%.

Same thing cannot be said about other clubs unfortunately.

Varun

Staff
If you think that we couldnt get more out of phil nev, gibson and howard then be my guest. I suspect that we accepted those fees because everton are a good club and saf had always taken the players interest at heart expecially players from our youth academy who always gave us their 100%.

Same thing cannot be said about other clubs unfortunately.

So you're speculating. And they should be grateful because of that? Cmon.

Even if we could get a mil or 2 more for a player but they chose everton, it doesnt mean they have to be grateful for anything at all. Neither does it mean they should sell one of their best players to us on the cheap specially considering Everton arent Manchester United when it comes to financial prowess.

Bestie07

So? We didn't do them a favor. We felt the deals were good enough for us.
We really don't work like that when letting our younger players leave. We frequently sell them on the cheap just so that they can join the club they'd prefer to join. Gibson had a 6 million offer from Sunderland, he didn't want to leave so he ended up joining Everton for less than third of the fee six months later. I'm sure I can find plenty of other examples too.

Mersault

I disagree. Getting 3 EPL proven players for 7m is a great bargain indeed.

Neville - SAF was ready to let him go and I think the club was willing to allow Neville to find the best possible club for himself, if anything, we did him a favor. Not that I think that wording is accurate.
We also allowed John O'Shea to leave for peanuts when we could have utilized him still, and I think part of that is acknowledgement of years of service and loyalty.

Gibson, speaking for myself, I would have free transferred had that ensured he wouldn't be used as any excuse to not sign midfield players or play Pogba. I'd say, quite honestly, Everton did us a favor there, if anyone was helping anyone out.

Howard: after the terrible history of trying to replace Schmeichel we thought we'd finally done so given Howard's impressive first few games at the club. Then he became prone to mistakes. In truth, Everton got a keeper we had lost faith in and lucked out in that he regained his confidence and perhaps found his true level.

We've not done them any favors, and whoever mentioned the price we paid for Rooney, I mean, come on, if that's not a fair deal for us I don't know what is. Maybe it's a tad strange that they're peeved off with not getting anything for DM but I think they were totally within their rights to have us pay through the nose for Fellaini seeing as we clearly had a clownish operation this summer in the transfer market. Good deal for them. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good deal for us too, though of course, it's laughable that DM could have signed him for less weeks ago

amolbhatia50k

We really don't work like that when letting our younger players leave. We frequently sell them on the cheap just so that they can join the club they'd prefer to join. Gibson had a 6 million offer from Sunderland, he didn't want to leave so he ended up joining Everton for less than third of the fee six months later. I'm sure I can find plenty of other examples too.
So how exactly have we done a favor to everyone FC in that case ? They owe us feck all. Going by your take, Gibson owes us not Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.