Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
On a side note, why was Smalling put at RB again FFS and what's with this bringing the whole pissing team back for set-pieces?

jem

Because we now blame our managers for players getting injured and fluky goals?
No, but we can blame him for the fecking dark ages football that we are playing. It's a windy day in Stoke, so how what do we do? We play continual long balls, that's what. If this is the way we're going to move forward, then we may as well play fecking Fellaini up front.

And seriously we must be the only team that needs an injury (and thus a substitution) to play the lineup that we should've been playing in the first place (ie. Rafael at RB, not Smalling - who by the way, seems incapable of not playing a simple pass behind his intended target - so fecking infuriating.)

As for the goal, it's high time that Michael Carrick grew a set. That was Nasri-esque.

Red Stone

At some point it stops being bad luck and starts being ineptitude, although I feel like today it's mostly the bad luck thing. And Stoke. Sometimes it's also Stoke.

Ash_G

He has been unlucky but heard that Rio was fit, so to leave him out seemed an unnecessary risk, even if loosing two cb's was very unlucky. Still think though that we needed to set up with one of Rooney/RVP deeper but oh well, will have to see what happens in the second.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Bad luck and all that, but there's lots and lots of things we're doing wrong today.

- Wing-play, crosses and hoofball are the only styles Stoke can defend. So naturally it's exactly what we're doing.
- Ashley Young is only good at crossing from an angle. So naturally we have him on the corners and Rooney on the angled free-kicks from the right.
- Stoke are awful at defending on the break. So naturally we have all 11 men back for corners.
- We're struggling to maintain possession in the middle. So naturally when one of our two decent midfielders gets moved, the one on the bench stays there and we put a forward there in his stead.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
But he doesn't make things easier for himself, does he?
He favours Welbeck over Fletcher, and now has two players playing out of position!
If Fletch isn't fit enough for 45 mins of football he shouldn't be on the bench at all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
On a side note, why was Smalling put at RB again FFS and what's with this bringing the whole pissing team back for set-pieces?
maybe because we're playing a team full of tall and physical goons, and he thought a midget right back might not help?

Did Fergie not often leave Rafael out of the Stoke game.

ArmchairCritic

maybe because we're playing a team full of tall and physical goons, and he thought a midget right back might not help?

Did Fergie not often leave Rafael out of the Stoke game.
Don't understand why Smalling who has been our best CB in the last 2 games is getting shunted back out there though.

binary bot
I don't understand it, usually a consistent back two is something people feel is important in football. No? Finally we get Smalling and Evans together, playing relatively well for the last two matches and then we switch it up again. Not a lot we can do not with the Evans injury mind.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As for the goal, it's high time that Michael Carrick grew a set. That was Nasri-esque.
hardly. Nasri turned his back, Carrick tried to deflect it. Imagine if he'd just left it and it'd have flown in.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Bad luck and all that, but there's lots and lots of things we're doing wrong today.

- Wing-play, crosses and hoofball are the only styles Stoke can defend. So naturally it's exactly what we're doing.
- Ashley Young is only good at crossing from an angle. So naturally we have him on the corners and Rooney on the angled free-kicks from the right.
- Stoke are awful at defending on the break. So naturally we have all 11 men back for corners.
- We're struggling to maintain possession in the middle. So naturally when one of our two decent midfielders gets moved, the one on the bench stays there and we put a forward there in his stead.
Add to this Juan Mata on the right-wing in a 4-4-2 is a fecking terrible idea.

jem

At some point it stops being bad luck and starts being ineptitude, although I feel like today it's mostly the bad luck thing. And Stoke. Sometimes it's also Stoke.
Yeah, but it's because of the inevitable bad luck days like today (still augmented by some awful tactics, I must say,) that you can't afford to get it so continually wrong on other days. Every team has bad luck; good ones don't need it as an excuse.

Garethw

If we don't win today then a top 4 place looks very unlikely. I fancy Liverpool to win tomorrow and 9 points will be too big a gap to catch.

Mersault

I agree that bad luck shouldn't cover for the poor season he's had, as well as the indications that he's not the right man for the job, but to be fair he has been unlucky today. You're always going to struggle when two of your centre backs get injured.
Of course. He's not to blame for bad luck. I'm not sure about van Persie's fitness, but generally, we've had bad luck with injuries. He is to blame for the shite football we've produced all season though, and for the team's mentality. I just don't see how he's going to change that. It would be a huge change.

It's a windy day in Stoke, so how what do we do? We play continual long balls, that's what.
Yeah, I was bemoaning that too. Should have figured that one out in the first 5 minutes.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Doesn't get a penalty from van Persie being blatantly fouled in the box. Then Walters goes down very easily by the same sort of grapple, and Adam gets an incredibly lucky deflection. This game is cursed as well as Moyes. But to be fair, our attack has been lacking as usual.

ArmchairCritic

I'm telling you guys though, Rooney, Mata, RVP and Januzaj have serious fecking potential to be absolutely murderous on the counter. I don't understand why we haven't kept it on the deck, we've looked good when we have before reverting back to type.

jem

One thing we can surely agree on: with the addition of Mata, and the return of Rooney and RVP. Moyes has no excuses not to finish this season strongly. Doesn't look encouraging so far.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Of course. He's not to blame for bad luck. I'm not sure about van Persie's fitness, but generally, we've had bad luck with injuries. He is to blame for the shite football we've produced all season though, and for the team's mentality. I just don't see how he's going to change that. It would be a huge change.
Yeah I agree completely on that. He's had his fair share of bad luck, but it wouldn't be the first time. I can remember Fergie having similar spells where we had bad luck with injuries at the back, and in some years we were still successful.

Even today, while we've had bad luck the overall standard of the football has still been fairly poor and unimaginative.

jem

I'm telling you guys though, Rooney, Mata, RVP and Januzaj have serious fecking potential to be absolutely murderous on the counter. I don't understand why we haven't kept it on the deck, we've looked good when we have before reverting back to type.
I'm betting that we'll rarely see those 4 on the pitch together, except in desperate, chasing-the-game situations (in which, Moyes will still likely opt for Welbeck.)

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
If the performances don't come with Rooney, van Persie and Mata all fit then we'll have to start asking serious questions of Moyes' suitability to the job. First half with the three and they looked okay.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
One thing we can surely agree on: with the addition of Mata, and the return of Rooney and RVP. Moyes has no excuses not to finish this season strongly. Doesn't look encouraging so far.
The problems comes defensively and in midfield though, which should've been addressed no matter how good a signing Mata is. While he's an excellent player, we're already strong in attack. Buying Mata isn't going to solve the midfield problems, nor will it significantly improve our defensive problems. We should improve with him in attack, but personnel wise attack wasn't really an area we had to worry about in the first place.

kps88

If the performances don't come with Rooney, van Persie and Mata all fit then we'll have to start asking serious questions of Moyes' suitability to the job. First half with the three and they looked okay.
But I think everyone would acknowledge, Moyes included, that their positions were never the problem.

ArmchairCritic

Just need to keep the ball on the deck.

datura

Jesus...we won mata's first match comfortably, and we're losing to a deflected goal at HT and lost both our CBs. There's still 45 fecking minutes to go!!!

Garethw

Moyes' tactics
Because Moyes' tactics dictate otherwise. We will never see the kind of free flowing football we all crave under Moyes.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Are we seriously going to put everything down to bad luck or a too weak a squad or mistakes in the transfer market.

Whose putting everything down to it?

Conceding a massively deflected own goal and loosing 2 CBs in a half is bad luck FFS.

jem

The problems comes defensively and in midfield though, which should've been addressed no matter how good a signing Mata is. While he's an excellent player, we're already strong in attack. Buying Mata isn't going to solve the midfield problems, nor will it significantly improve our defensive problems. We should improve with him in attack, but personnel wise attack wasn't really an area we had to worry about in the first place.
I agree. While I'm thrilled with signing Mata (you can never have enough quality,) I still don't think we did enough. We need to address midfield and LB. Desperately.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I agree. While I'm thrilled with signing Mata (you can never have enough quality,) I still don't think we did enough. We need to address midfield and LB. Desperately.
True. Problems which existed before aren't going to just go away with this signing unfortunately, which is why I'm not sure we're going to significantly improve.

jem

Jesus...we won mata's first match comfortably, and we're losing to a deflected goal at HT and lost both our CBs. There's still 45 fecking minutes to go!!!
Here we go with the excuses. How many opportunities have we carved out against a truly dire Stoke side? And before anyone complains about the conditions, keep in mind that we're playing football that plays right into the hands of Stoke (ie. hoofball.)

OneUnited24

Who's blaming him? I was pointing out the abysmal luck he's had? :confused:
I guess the comment about comparing him with a dog threw me...

No, but we can blame him for the fecking dark ages football that we are playing. It's a windy day in Stoke, so how what do we do? We play continual long balls, that's what. If this is the way we're going to move forward, then we may as well play fecking Fellaini up front.

And seriously we must be the only team that needs an injury (and thus a substitution) to play the lineup that we should've been playing in the first place (ie. Rafael at RB, not Smalling - who by the way, seems incapable of not playing a simple pass behind his intended target - so fecking infuriating.)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I think this whole comment about how we play football from the dark ages is getting old. We've had some good possession today and quick passing which hasn't resulted in clear cut chances but its hardly bad football.

This season we've not played well and you can see we are trying to get the ball down and play but Stoke (in typical fashion) are making it difficult.

ArmchairCritic

The issue for me right now is that we're trying to get the ball forward far too quickly and when we don't we resort to crossing it in, just keep it on the deck and keep the ball. I understand the coaches and manager might tell players to do something but at the end of the day the players pick the passes and if all they can do is what the manager tells them then we have big issues.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
I'm just imagining what someone like a Guaridola or a Klopp would set this team up with RVP, rooney mata et al.

Anyway, feck it, we're stuck with Moyes so we HAVE to back him. Lets hope the team can turn this around 2nd half.

jem

True. Problems which existed before aren't going to just go away with this signing unfortunately, which is why I'm not sure we're going to significantly improve.
I think we'll see Mata's true quality, once the other problems have been addressed. That's why he was a great signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.