Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm talking theoretically of course, but buying a player is far from a complex business deal. Yes there is a lot to sort out regarding contracts, image rights, etc, but the basic principle of buying is pretty simple. 10 minutes might be an exaggeration as sometimes quite a few parties involved, but in principle:
Buyer: "I'm interested in X and have around £25m in mind"
Seller: "Thanks for the offer, but we don't wish to sell the player right now"
Buyer: "Could we tempt you if we up the offer to £30m"
Seller: "Thanks again, but £5m more is not going to change our minds"
Buyer: "Everyone has a price, I think we can probably stretch to £35m"
Seller: "I'll speak to the manager and get back to you"
Quick call to manager
Seller: "The manager doesn't want to sell either, but there are a couple of areas in the team we could improve, but will not sell for less than £40m"
Buyer: "I'll have a quick word with the owners"
Quick call to owners
Buyer: "We'll meet in the middle at £37.5m"
Seller: "Go on then, but we'll want a 10% sell-on clause"
Buyer "Fine, it's a deal!"
seriously, your posts are hurting my eyes. Stop posting

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
I'm talking theoretically of course, but buying a player is far from a complex business deal. Yes there is a lot to sort out regarding contracts, image rights, etc, but the basic principle of buying is pretty simple. 10 minutes might be an exaggeration as sometimes quite a few parties involved, but in principle:
Quick call to manager
Seller: "The manager doesn't want to sell either, but there are a couple of areas in the team we could improve, but will not sell for less than £40m"
Quick call to owners
WTF Planet are you on?

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
It's too early to judge Moyes on any level, other than perhaps his striking resemblance to Gollum.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I do wish he could tell the press to piss off, but he can't risk upsetting them too much and getting them after his job. The whole Rooney thing is made more complicated by constant questions about it that he's somewhat answered. Sir Alex would have banned them from press conferences for asking about it. :lol:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Sir Alex would have banned them from press conferences for asking about it. :lol:
You'd think so for almost anything else but on this occasion it was Fergie who handed them the bait in the first place. Even he might have trouble sweeping this one under the carpet.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Moyes is doing just fine. It was always going to be a difficult start especially with the first games of the season having so many tough opponents. I havent seen anything that worries me. He seems to be in control to me.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You can't judge Moyes so far, tbh.

Fergie engineered the Rooney shitstorm - we'll see how it plays out.

Pre-season results are irrelevant - players say they like training and young players given a chance.

No signing is the major point of contention - again, we'll see how it plays out, but Fellaini links don't fill me with confidence.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I'm not writing him off by any stretch but so far he doesn't seem to have actually done anything. The Rooney saga still blazes on - if this means we sell him on the last day and Chelsea pay through the nose then that's absolutely fine, but we need to secure our signings first.
Speaking of that, there has been a lot of public bidding/interest in players, none of which has yet materialised. Again this isn't necessarily a problem but if, after weeks of flirting with Thiago and Fabregas, we end up with Fellaini (a player who I'm not opposed to us signing anyway) I don't think anyone can argue that he is anything more than a 3rd/4th choice and maybe something of a panic buy/last resort.

Finally, the results haven't been great. Again there are mitigating circumstances and you can argue that the fitness is the main thing, which is fine, but like I said - so far he hasn't really done much which can be portrayed positively.

We will see, judging him before the end of the transfer window is a pointless exercise, I just hope we secure a couple of major signings and see the Rooney situation resolved one way or another, in the weeks to come.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Let's call a spade a spade. We've been fecking shit during pre-season. Granted those games mean feck all but it's a little concerning nonetheless and I'm extremely concerned that we still haven't addressed the midfield situation.

That being said, Moyes does need time and this is why it's often been described as an impossible job.

Cina

Pre-season is largely meaningless but the quality of the opposition we've faced has been really poor. We should be doing what City are doing and playing bigger teams. It's certainly not helping us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Pre-season is largely meaningless but the quality of the opposition we've faced has been really poor. We should be doing what City are doing and playing bigger teams. It's certainly not helping us.
Personally I believe its more beneficial to play teams that are already into their own season. Pre-season matches are all about getting match-fit and playing against players who are sharp should present a better workout.

As for Moyes there is really nothing worth commenting on yet. He is certainly not to blame for our lack of success in the transfer market.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Quick call to manager
Quick call to owners

:lol: Ripped straight from RAWK this surely.

Commadus

wins bring confidence irrespective of the opposition. Moyes hasn't built up any momentum going into the season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned

Playing teams midway through their respective seasons will do much more in terms of fitness and preparation in my opinion. We've had to work hard in pretty much all the pre-season games and you can see from game to game the team getting fitter.

As for Moyes so far its difficult to say. I don't think we've had a chance to see any new tactical ideas as yet, he's largely played a similar system to what we're used to. Its a good sign that he's given the younger players minutes though. While the results haven't been good, we've played some good football at times going forward. The defence has been a bit suspect so that'll have to be sorted sharpish.

Other than that I don't think we can take anything else away from preseason just yet. He's been good and open in press conferences from what I've seen, said the right things etc etc. I guess he'd have like to have sorted his transfer dealings by now but he said right from the beginning that any dealings were likely to take time and be done near the end of the window due starting on the 1st July.

He's got a real tough opening set of fixtures so I'll guess we can judge more depending on how that goes.

Minkaro

Pre-season: W2, D2, L2. That's eight points out of a possible imaginary 18!

Moyes out.

Commadus

Pre season is about fitness, bedding in new players (lol) and tactical innovations.

I think we have achieved just the first objective.

Interesting to see what tactical innovations he brings.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Pre season is about fitness, bedding in new players (lol) and tactical innovations.

I think we have achieved just the first objective.

Interesting to see what tactical innovations he brings.
Rumour has it we've been perfecting The Flying V

Commadus

Our tactics need to work around our best players - We can all agree it will be a back 4 with RVP in the strike role.

I believe RVP like Torres in his pomp works better on his own up front so that he has more freedom to go front post or back post and move along the front line. In the two seasons he has played the lone front man role he has been prolific.

The real question is who plays behind him - if its an attacking three then which three? - for me it would have to be Kagawa Rooney Nani.

I like Carrick as the deeper of the two midfielders with someone who is more dynamic running up and down - someone we currently lack - Vidal would be ideal.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
How on earth has he done that? He's made Ando fit, he's made Welbeck score goals, and Bebe suddenly knows what a cross is. What's he making them do? Or take?
feck off, just feck off. Bebe has always known how to cross, he just forgot for 2 games due to nerves and fickle united fans haven't let it go. Yeah, I said it.

But yeah, he's got Ando playing 3 full games in hot conditions, happy days.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
feck off, just feck off. Bebe has always known how to cross, he just forgot for 2 games due to nerves and fickle united fans haven't let it go. Yeah, I said it.

But yeah, he's got Ando playing 3 full games in hot conditions, happy days.
I'm kidding GM, I think Bebe's an ok crosser, but needs to improve.

As for Ando, I think he'll continue to do well, but how he'll actually play this season I'll wait a little longer to make a decision.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
It makes a lot of sense really to give ando full 90 minute games. How was Fergie expecting him to get fully match fit if he never played full games? Hopefully Moyes will get the best out of him.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
It's too early to judge Moyes on any level, other than perhaps his striking resemblance to Gollum.

Agreed. We absolutely must put our faith in him. He's not making it easy though. He couldnt quashed the Rooney saga right from the off, and if he'd done some transfer business early doors, that would've really helped get everyone onside

Raised eyebrows a plenty so far !

ciderman9000000

Agreed. We absolutely must put our faith in him. He's not making it easy though. He couldnt quashed the Rooney saga right from the off, and if he'd done some transfer business early doors, that would've really helped get everyone onside

Raised eyebrows a plenty so far !
Isn't his job to win us trophies?

You seem to be under the impression that his job is to hypnotise Wayne Rooney and stop muppets from being complete idiots.

ciderman9000000

Nothing about muppets, think most would agree the earlier a signing is complete, the better.
Wouldn't most also agree that it occasionally takes time and effort to get the right man for the job? Obviously not.

It's all about muppets. Impatient children moaning and complaining because they cannot wait for new players.

If you cannot be patient for one fecking transfer window then how are you to be expected to be patient during the course of an entire season or more? You just need to grow up, man up and wait for the football before passing judgement. Stop acting like such bloody babies all the time.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Took the the club, already gave youngsters a good run in pre-season games, made Rooney his bitch, told him to shut up, said he will pursue the best and that's what he's doing, now. Interest in Ronaldo and Fabregas confirmed plus apparently there may be more targets, in that regard.

The only thing that can be worrying is the same, old Sir Alex's nightmare - injury plague treatment which may eventually happen and it creates a serious challenge for the whole new staff. Thankfully Rooney and Nani are still in the club, while Varela and Zaha are adding to team's depth.

Moyes, by adding two more quality players (or maybe even more) will probably have a team capable of defending the crown and easily going through CL group stage, like a storm.

4/5 so far. When the right choices shall be made on the market, with maybe a convincing win over Wigan, it will easily become a 5/5 as a little, pre-season judgement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Took the the club, already gave youngsters a good run in pre-season games, made Rooney his bitch, told him to shut up, said he will pursue the best and that's what he's doing, now. Interest in Ronaldo and Fabregas confirmed plus apparently there may be more targets, in that regard.

The only thing that can be worrying is the same, old Sir Alex's nightmare - injury plague treatment which may eventually happen and it creates a serious challenge for the whole new staff. Thankfully Rooney and Nani are still in the club, while Varela and Zaha are adding to team's depth.

Moyes, by adding two more quality players (or maybe even more) will probably have a team capable of defending the crown and easily going through CL group stage, like a storm.

4/5 so far. When the right choices shall be made on the market, with maybe a convincing win over Wigan, it will easily become a 5/5 as a little, pre-season judgement.
I like you, you sound positive.

But if you think a pre season where we haven't signed anyone, have had a real nightmare with Rooney, had a pretty sh!t run of friendlies and generally released some over excited soundbites to the press is a 4/5, I'd bloody hate to see a 2/5!!

Status
Not open for further replies.