Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getsme

All this worry over being like Chelsea or City (both of whom sacked managers for finishing 2nd, not 8th) ignores the very real threat that leaving the wrong man in the job too long runs the risk of being like Liverpool.

If we don't sack him he can't be our Hodgson. The worry now is he'll become our Souness.
He's not going anywhere, he's here to stay no matter what. If they give him the money to spend he will be given even more time to shape the team.
Moyes is here to stay, I think we should all get used to it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well, lets hope its the ones we've pretty much accepted are leaving and no shockers like a RVP or Rafael.

I so so want Kagawa to stay. :(

He'd be class under a proper manager.
Would you still want him to stay if Klopp wanted him back in exchange for Gundogan or Reus ?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rio, Evra, Vidic, Giggs, Ferdinand, Anderson, Valencia and Young should be the players to slave. And maybe Hernandez as well:(

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
8-10 players out? 6-8 in? Ridiculous not even Real Madrid and City recycle so many players simultaneously. To expect us to create a cohesive team if that's whats ahead is ridiculous. Just look how it worked out for Spurs last summer? In the end Sherwood has gone back to the stalwarts of the Redknapp era because the new arrivals simply haven't gelled with the rest of the side.

Its a shame Mitten didn't get into why so many players were disaffected, especially when Moyes started off by getting the big boys onside. Why did the senior players turn on him? Why did the relationship break down? Was it because they got tired of launching it long and pumping crosses into the box over and over and over again? Was it because they look at him and think he hasn't got the tactical nous for this level and have lost respect for him thanks to his boring, pre-Premier League era football which would suit Peter Crouch better than Robin Van Persie?

After Mitten's lovely little meeting with Ed Woodward earlier this season its clear what side he's on, but I'd love to get the dressing room view for once. Just once. United have been trying to spin us since the disastrous summer transfer window? Why can't we hear from the players as to why its all gone horribly wrong. At Liverpool when Hodgson lost Agger he spoke out and in the end was proven right. Maybe, just maybe the players are right about Moyes and if given a chance to have their say the world might see that?

Varun

Staff
Would you still want him to stay if Klopp wanted him back in exchange for Gundogan or Reus ?
I'd take Reus over him but I'm pretty sure he wont look like the Reus he looks now so people will be surprised again. He's more individualistic than Kagawa which will help him in our setup but he too is someone who'l need movement around him to excel. We just dont have that. The way we use our wingers, Reus will not be used to get the best out of him. He'd still be better than Kagawa though so yeah, I'd take that deal.

I dont want Gundogan here. 2 reasons:

1- His reported back troubles. People say it could shorten his career. If true, I'd want us to steer clear because he'l cost a bomb.
2- He's not the kind of CM we need. I honestly dont think either of him or someone like Kroos will improve us as much people think they will. Our style of play needs to change before anything else. We cant play a attacking front 4 with Carrick and Kroos/Gundogan behind them. It just wont work. We need a much more solid CM base. I'd rather we spent 50mil on a Vidal than 35mil on a Kroos/Gundogan.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
:lol: some of the posts here....

Moyes' tactics are pre historic and are one dimensional....The solution? Re build the squad and have a clear out

How does that even make sense?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
After Mitten's lovely little meeting with Ed Woodward earlier this season its clear what side he's on, but I'd love to get the dressing room view for once.
I think Mitten reports as he does to maintain the supply of news from his inside sources.

KiD MoYeS

Moyes' tactics are pre historic and are one dimensional....The solution? Re build the squad and have a clear out

I agree with this to be honest. We could sign two world class midfielder's in the summer and still have our player's go out and rocket the ball into the box every possible opportunity.

Varun

Staff

People are speculating on who the 8 odd players to leave could be if the article is true. No one here wants to see them go. I doubt there are too many left that think the players are the problem.

Plugsy

Doesn't matter who goes or who stays. The problem is the tactical approach. We've just spent £40m or there abouts, signing one of the most gifted players with the ball at his feet in Europe. I know he's only two games in but have we sought to utilise that talent to improve the team?

Nah, we just have a manager who thinks "well it can't be anything I'm doing" and we just carry on the same way. If 10 payers leave and 10 players arrive or there's one player in and one out or no changes at all - it'll make absolutely no difference whatsoever to how we play and that's the be all and end all of our problems.

Plugsy

I think Giggs will play on another season for this reason too. Although I just never see Giggs retiring. :lol:
Shame really as by premier league standards, let alone title challenger standards, he's really not been on key for quite a few years now. His consistent level of performance is poor but he'll have a good game two or three times a season and suddenly people rave about how he can go on for another two years, and he invariably f****** does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Are you having a laugh? He'll need 40 games to do so. We can't afford that.
There's no reason he can't stay on in his current role for another year or two. He's no less effective than the likes of Ando was or Cleverley is. He usually improves us when he comes on for one of his 15 minute cameos.

.Rossi

I agree with this to be honest. We could sign two world class midfielder's in the summer and still have our player's go out and rocket the ball into the box every possible opportunity.
People are speculating on who the 8 odd players to leave could be if the article is true. No one here wants to see them go. I doubt there are too many left that think the players are the problem.
That's what I mean....We could have Bale, Messi, and Vidal all lined up in the middle, but if the tactic's and game plan is not there to play to their strengths and all we do is knock it out to Ashley Young and Valencia to cross it into the box then, how are things going to change?

I do agree that Moyes needs his own men for the sake of squad harmony and moral but on the pitch and on the training ground, he's going to have to adapt a better tactical approach....We had Beckham...DAVID BECKHAM, on the wing for years and I don't think he even crossed it that much in a season, let alone a match like yesterday

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Another fine piece from Mitten. We've one hell of a transition on our hands. The frustrating part is - of course - that he doesn't present a list of going-outs. Still, I'd like to think the majority of those...eight (!) aren't crucial to our future. And certainly not if the influx will be as considerable as he suggests.

It's pretty much what we've suspected, though, isn't it? Plenty of players, the majority of which are over the hill, aren't exactly backing Moyes to the hilt. Fair enough. That is the fallout from losing Fergie - part of it anyway. So say goodbye and move on. A new man in charge after all that time was never going to be easy. Some will take to him, some won't.

I'm not surprised by this at all. Perhaps it can even serve to explain some of our woes at the present. Which is a good thing from where I'm standing. They need to be shipped out. It doesn't matter what they've done for us in the past. And that has nothing to do with finding excuses for Moyes - mindlessly defending him at the expense of the playing staff or whatever it is some bang on about. Fergie's gone. New man in charge. If certain players can't deal with that, they are gone. It's that simple. It would have been exactly the same under any other new manager. Some players - the old guard not least - would've had some issues with him. It's pretty much unavoidable.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Shame really as by premier league standards, let alone title challenger standards, he's really not been on key for quite a few years now. His consistent level of performance is poor but he'll have a good game two or three times a season and suddenly people rave about how he can go on for another two years, and he invariably f****** does.
This, he usually is poor rather than great.

LR7

I maintain my stance that David Moyes should not be given a single penny to spend unless he shows between now and the end of the season that he can get these current players playing some good football. Ridiculous that he thinks the problem is the players not his tactics.

Varun

Staff
That's what I mean....We could have Bale, Messi, and Vidal all lined up in the middle, but if the tactic's and game plan is not there to play to their strengths and all we do is knock it out to Ashley Young and Valencia to cross it into the box then, how are things going to change?

I do agree that Moyes needs his own men for the sake of squad harmony and moral but on the pitch and on the training ground, he's going to have to adapt a better tactical approach....We had Beckham...DAVID BECKHAM, on the wing for years and I don't think he even crossed it that much in a season, let alone a match like yesterday
Yeah, agree with all of that.

Varun

Staff
I maintain my stance that David Moyes should not be given a single penny to spend unless he shows between now and the end of the season that he can get these current players playing some good football. Ridiculous that he thinks the problem is the players not his tactics.
I'm in the same boat. If this shite continues, sack him in the summer, get a top proven manager in and give him the money to spend.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Much as I don't like or rate Moyes I wasn't for pushing him out until he'd been given a fair chance to show whether or not he was capable of doing a reasonably good job of managing the team.

I've changed my mind. I want him out now before it's too late, before we lose the players we really want and really need to keep. If it's a choice between keeping these these players or keeping him (and his staff) I'd much rather we kept the players.

KiD MoYeS

Much as I don't like or rate Moyes I wasn't for pushing him out until he'd been given a fair chance to show whether or not he was capable of doing a reasonably good job of managing the team.

I've changed my mind. I want him out now before it's too late, before we lose the players we really want and really need to keep. If it's a choice between keeping these these players or keeping him (and his staff) I'd much rather we kept the players.
That's the thing. I'm unsure how people can side with an unproven manager over proven player's.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think Mitten reports as he does to maintain the supply of news from his inside sources.
I wonder what he feels the point is when those sources have been feeding him little more than poorly worded PR all season.

This video tells you all you need to know about why the players have lost it with Moyes. We sign Juan Mata and instead of copying what Pellegrini has done at City and freeing our wide players to come inside like Silva and Nasri and work with our forwards to open teams up we waste his talent telling him to cross it. We could've saved the money and bought a speed merchant to just get down the outside and whip balls in if Moyes wasn't going to change his tactical approach.

We could sign the Spanish double pivot in the summer and it wouldn't make any difference if Moyes insisted on making them get it wide as often as possible. Phelan was right to say we've got no variation in our game, Rene was right to say we're straightforward, dareIsay it Dan Burn was right to say it was like the Conference. The problem is not the players, the problem is the manager. We could sign Messi and it wouldn't matter: the ball would be flying over his head from start to finish!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yep, yesterday was the prime example that even with a number of quality players on the pitch, we were unable to play good football, instead playing some awful stuff, because of the way the manager set us out. If we don't think that manager is going to be good enough, or has shown anything to warrant being capable of building a title winning side, then why should he spend the money? It's like hiring someone to build your house, but as time goes on you realise he's not very good and will build a terrible house. When it's clear that'll happen, you get someone else who's better to do it. You don't let him go ahead because you don't like sacking people, or feel you're above that level.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I've seen several posters being ridiculed for suggesting the clear out this summer could involve 8 or so players, but there's no doubt in my mind that this is what has to happen. The process should have started in the summer, it's understandable why Moyes wanted see everyone first but it was still the wrong decision, so it means it'll all have to happen this summer instead, which I suppose will be quite exciting at least.

Amir

There's no reason he can't stay on in his current role for another year or two. He's no less effective than the likes of Ando was or Cleverley is. He usually improves us when he comes on for one of his 15 minute cameos.
I'm kind of hoping was move on from Anderson and Clevlerley...

I've no issues with Giggs playing on, but we really need to look forward.

KiD MoYeS

I wonder what he feels the point is when those sources have been feeding him little more than poorly worded PR all season.

This video tells you all you need to know about why the players have lost it with Moyes. We sign Juan Mata and instead of copying what Pellegrini has done at City and freeing our wide players to come inside like Silva and Nasri and work with our forwards to open teams up we waste his talent telling him to cross it. We could've saved the money and bought a speed merchant to just get down the outside and whip balls in if Moyes wasn't going to change his tactical approach.

We could sign the Spanish double pivot in the summer and it wouldn't make any difference if Moyes insisted on making them get it wide as often as possible. Phelan was right to say we've got no variation in our game, Rene was right to say we're straightforward, dareIsay it Dan Burn was right to say it was like the Conference. The problem is not the players, the problem is the manager. We could sign Messi and it wouldn't matter: the ball would be flying over his head from start to finish!
I completely agree with you. It won't make a world of a difference who we bring in if Moyes plans to persist with 1980's football. He really needs to adapt. I feel he is unable to do so, he should at least surround himself with modern footballing men like Ferguson did.

LR7

That's the thing. I'm unsure how people can side with an unproven manager over proven player's.
Im convinced people are only doing it because they feel like they're carrying out Fergie's last commandment and standing by the manager. We've seen these players give everything for United and know their quality, but some would rather blame them than accept that what Moyes is doing isn't good enough.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I wonder if the elevation of Rooney to God status irked a lot of the senior players. Rooney has been one of the most disrespectful players that we have had for many a year and Moyes comes in and makes him his number one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney pack his bags this summer anyway now that it is as good as confirmed that we are not going to be playing CL football next year. I have a terrible feeling that we are going to be losing Van Persie in the summer as well,

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm kind of hoping was move on from Anderson and Clevlerley...

I've no issues with Giggs playing on, but we really need to look forward.
Same here. I think Ando and to a lesser extent Cleverley, are less likely to stay on.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've seen several posters being ridiculed for suggesting the clear out this summer could involve 8 or so players, but there's no doubt in my mind that this is what has to happen. The process should have started in the summer, it's understandable why Moyes wanted see everyone first but it was still the wrong decision, so it means it'll all have to happen this summer instead, which I suppose will be quite exciting at least.
I think he has given himself a harder task by not doing that. Some of the ones going will just be contracts not being renewed or players that won't be missed. A player like Evra, might just want to go home and finish his career in France. I wouldn't begrudge him that. Everyone is presuming a lot of these players are being pushed out.

.Rossi

I wonder if the elevation of Rooney to God status irked a lot of the senior players. Rooney has been one of the most disrespectful players that we have had for many a year and Moyes comes in and makes him his number one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney pack his bags this summer anyway now that it is as good as confirmed that we are not going to be playing CL football next year. I have a terrible feeling that we are going to be losing Van Persie in the summer as well,
If you thought the summer in 1995 or 2006 were bad, wait till this one :nervous:

KiD MoYeS

I think he has given himself a harder task by not doing that. Some of the ones going will just be contracts not being renewed or players that won't be missed. A player like Evra, might just want to go home and finish his career in France. I wouldn't begrudge him that. Everyone is presuming a lot of these players are being pushed out.
I don't think any of Vidic, Ferdinand or Evra would've remained past this season if Ferguson was still manager.

LR7

Yep, yesterday was the prime example that even with a number of quality players on the pitch, we were unable to play good football, instead playing some awful stuff, because of the way the manager set us out. If we don't think that manager is going to be good enough, or has shown anything to warrant being capable of building a title winning side, then why should he spend the money? It's like hiring someone to build your house, but as time goes on you realise he's not very good and will build a terrible house. When it's clear that'll happen, you get someone else who's better to do it. You don't let him go ahead because you don't like sacking people, or feel you're above that level.
Exactly, it won't make a blind bit of difference who we bring in if we continue to take the same one-dimensional approach. It's almost criminal to have players like Mata, Rooney and Carrick who are so good at intricate passing, pumping in cross after cross and RvP chasing headers he's never going to out-jump a 6'7" CB for. These players are the current champions and Moyes is only showing his limitations as a manager in that he can't vary things to play to the strength of these players (and we have some great attacking players) but just continues to do the same thing over and over again.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What the hell is wrong with people who want us to give him £100m+ in the Summer to build his own side?

Not only we've not been getting results, we've also played absolutely dire standard of football with no fluidity whatsoever. Yeah, how about rewarding Moyes with £150m he could spend on players then ask them to play shit on stick football.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
David Moyes's team made a record 81 crosses yet still failed to win and following the match Burn, 21, who began his career at Darlington, where he played non-league football, said: "I was just saying to the lads that I've never headed that many balls since the Conference. At the end of the day I'm happy for them to play like that.

"We knew that we were going to defend our box well. We were going to keep our back four quite narrow so that we were between the goal and the wingers were going to look after the wide men. They've had plenty of crosses, loads of chances and stuff, but the second goal was quite lucky. I always felt we had something left."
Manchester United's Robin van Persie takes on Fulham's Dan Burn during Sunday's 2-2 draw at Old Trafford. Photograph: Peter Powell/EPA

Burn stated that René Meulensteen, the Fulham manager, had prepared the side for United to pepper them with high balls into the area. "We've been working on that in training. I thought it worked well. We knew that was going to happen – once we were dropping further back, that we were going to get more compact and make them play around us because we thought we had the strength in numbers. I'm 6ft 7in. It helps when dealing with those sort of balls."

Oh the shame. Even the staunchest Moyes supporter cannot tell me that they are happy that we play this type of football and that Moyes gets out thought by nearly every manager in the league? How can you take heart in the Moyes regime when you read this coming from professionals competing against us?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think any of Vidic, Ferdinand or Evra would've remained past this season if Ferguson was still manager.
I honestly think Ferguson has left a lot of the dirty work for Moyes to do. Some of the players who will be going will not be missed that badly, but Moyes will be classed as the bad guy for getting rid of them. If Ferguson did it, everyone would be agreeing with the changes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He could be doing that, sure. I have no idea what Wayne Rooney is thinking. He apparently needs to have the God channel running in the background to make him sleep. Which I can both sympathize and not sympathize with depending on my own mood. But there hasn't been anything concrete to suggest that he is disliked by his team mates as far as I know. It could be that the same players who aren't pleased with Moyes aren't pleased with Rooney - who does appear to be on Moyes' side, after a fashion - but that's life, I guess. If certain players don't get along with the manager, they're off. It's never been done any differently. The new man weeds 'em out, can't be any other way whether people like Moyes or not.

It only becomes a question of so-called player power if the dressing room as a whole turns against their manager. If it's a manageable albeit surprisingly large group, then fine. They have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.