Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
So if that's what we're doing, I presume he doesn't bear any responsibility for the Liverpool game, as it was just more of the same?

He deserves credit for tonight, even if you hate everything about him and want him gone. Anything else is just churlish.
If Moyes was sacked tomorrow, and we looked back reflectively on his reign, would the consensus be "He was terrible for the most part, but credit to him for winning those 18 odd games he did win. That deserves praise."

surf

Maybe we should have 2 managers and rotate them like with players. Moyes for Europe, someone else against English teams.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If Moyes was sacked tomorrow, and we looked back reflectively on his reign, would the consensus be "He was terrible for the most part, but credit to him for winning those 18 odd games he did win. That deserves praise."
No.

I had a tendency to criticise Fergie, for what I saw as his failures, though. I think that was right. In the same way I think it's right to praise Moyes for his successes, however rare they may have been so far.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm one of Moyes' critics, and I've wanted him gone for a while now, but fair fecks to him for tonight, he deserves credit and I do hope that he turns things around next season. The lads were motivated tonight, we had a game plan, played some good stuff at times, came back from 0-2 down on aggregate and went through to the next round. Can we ask for much more tonight?

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
Those are two different things entirely. I'm talking specifically about the fact he raised the team to get the result it needed at a time when confidence was through the floor.

Obviously if you look at him in an overall sense he hasn't done a good job, so praising him for his overall job would be daft, but that doesn't mean you can't look at games like tonight in isolation and say that he's done a good job.

Drummer

Sure why would anybody praise anything positive moyes has Done? It's clear that any win united have had under his tenure has been players simply choosing not to listen to his instructions!!

Choosing Giggs in midfield and Wellbeck on the wing was just blind luck!!

Players obviously hate playing for him and just decided to raise their own confidence and performance after the Liverpool game!!

I see nobody told the home fans that moyes is a failure and clearly should be sacked!! Better arrange a memo from the caf before the next game as they clearly don't know football like the scholars here!!

Last edited:

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
No, it just feels that with today he proved something, that players actually want to play for him and United. I mean we can talk about good games all we want but for the first time since Arsenal I feel that this team would really play for him and could be decent again.

You know, ditching Moyes is hard, because he still has SAF and his legendary stubborness as his biggest backer. If he lost today, I think even SAF would've admitted it was a mistake and not protect him anymore. Now probably some board members have more faith in him again. Getting rid of Moyes in his first year needed an act of incompentence like him and the players showed so far, but in his biggest game by far the team had trademark Man Utd comeback.

I definitely think that this was a Phyrric victory.
Or they just wanted to win a champions league game and still played pretty mediocre football against a crap team. Delighted we won today but we're still not playing anywhere near as well as we can do...

Shark

@NotShark
Or they just wanted to win a champions league game and still played pretty mediocre football against a crap team. Delighted we won today but we're still not playing anywhere near as well as we can do...
We've played far worse than tonight under SAF in the CL recently. In fact, we went out in the group stages two seasons ago, playing dreadful football. There's been a lot of sticks to beat Moyes with this season, but lets give him credit for tonight.

rio's upper lip

Sure why would anybody praise anything positive moyes has Done? It's clear that any win united have had under his tenure has been players simply choosing not to listen to his instructions!!

Players obviously hate playing for him and just decided to raise their own confidence and performance after the Liverpool game!!
Any positive Moyes has ever produced for us has always been negated by something much worse. Even Hodgson won some games, and I do believe some of those games were won despite of him, not because of him.

He can't field the likes of Rooney, Mata, van Persie and De Gea every week and lose every time. The man is out of his depth.

Meh, I'll stop posting for tonight. I've managed to make myself miserable thinking about Moyes even after a win like tonight.

Anderson18

Pretty mediocre is a huge improvement from the shit we've seen in the last weeks in our big games. Liverpool, Piräus first leg, Stoke, Fulham, the cup ties. We are the bottom right now and an important win, even if the game was mediocre is a huge improvement. I mean how many times did we say, this is Moyes most important game and he blew it? Since the Arsenal game I lost count, so yeah today was definitely something very different compared to the rest of the season.

I still want him gone as badly as before the game, but today was really a nice change to the usual crap this season.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
We've played far worse than tonight under SAF in the CL recently. In fact, we went out in the group stages two seasons ago, playing dreadful football. There's been a lot of sticks to beat Moyes with this season, but lets give him credit for tonight.
I feel very happy for him, you could see the elation in his face when we scored. When he gets sacked I'm pleased he'll have the odd good memory like tonight to look back on.

DOTA

As unlikely as I'm sure many find this (I find it less than likely myself)... If David Moyes does go on to have a successful reign here, tonight will be talked about a great deal.

Mockney

Those are two different things entirely. I'm talking specifically about the fact he raised the team to get the result it needed at a time when confidence was through the floor.

Obviously if you look at him in an overall sense he hasn't done a good job, so praising him for his overall job would be daft, but that doesn't mean you can't look at games like tonight in isolation and say that he's done a good job.
Perhaps in a few months I can look back on this game and see it as the start of great things, when it looks like his plan of cohesive, controlling, attractive football is finally coming together. But at this point it's a bit like saying "Well done little Timmy, you may have managed to throw all your food on the floor, spit all over the table and shit yourself, but you've picked up the cup! Hooray! Happy 14th Birthday."

It's such a base managerial requirement to motivate a team in this position, and so largely his fault to begin with, that to give him credit for, essentially, NOT fecking up and slumping out in pathetic fashion isn't really something I feel like jumping at. Though yes, he did manage to not do that. Well done Timmy.

Yes Giggs and Wellbeck played. Both played reasonably well too. But it wasn't some managerial masterstroke of tactical nouse. We didn't control the game, exploit their weaknesses or nullify their threats due to these players playing. We had less possession, at home against Olympiacos, who also conspired to have more attempts on goal (14 > 12) and more completed passes than us (327 > 309) but we scored a penalty and a free kick. It wasn't exactly Chelsea away at City.

Apparently though, this is "magnificent"

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We got past a terrible terrible olympiacos side we should never ever be going out against. Good result on the night but he should definitely be out IMO. Getting a round or two further in a cup competition really isn't that relevant when you consider just how rubbish his stint has been. This and/or winning the next tie will keep him safe for awhile I'd imagine and it's only at united that we'd see that.

Sam

Interesting words from Barkley...

'He’s (Martinez) similar to David Moyes as they both like to take over the training session and be the main man.

'But Martinez is more tactical. We do a lot more tactical work which is good for me because I’m young and still learning.'
Sorry if tonight doesn't suddenly give me confidence in Moyes. But, once again, its taken set pieces to win a match. Moyes wont be taking us anywhere but down, and needs to go asap. Tonight changes nothing.

Gaeilge

Without going into the doom and gloom of everything (I still think Moyes needs to go) but instead just this...

When the rent boys won the CL a couple years ago, they were disasters domestically and somehow, throughout everything, managed to win the CL. They also overturned a european deficit. The addition of this triumph allowed them to further convince a certain Mr Hazard to their ranks and the rest needs no reminding.

Now I'm aware that we are even worse domestically and as erratic as any team could get. We are being managed by a man who, as nice a fella as he seems, seems completely overwhelmed by the task at hand. We have gaps and holes everywhere and are relying on a 40 year old god to drag us through glorious midweek matches.

Despite all of this, wouldn't it just be so Manchester United to go and win the fecking thing and stick that right up the arses of the fourth place Scouzers! I mean, draw either Chelsea or Dortmund in the quarters (both of whom I am aware are better teams but CAN be exploited) and progress to the semis. All of a sudden, we are three games from glory and can in fact lose one of those to still make it reality?

Oh to be a Manchester United fan and have the word believe enscribed in your brain hahaha

DOTA

Interesting words from Barkley...

Sorry if tonight doesn't suddenly give me confidence in Moyes. But, once again, its taken set pieces to win a match. Moyes wont be taking us anywhere but down, and needs to go asap. Tonight changes nothing.
When you're fouled constantly in good positions it often does. We weren't lucky to win. We outplayed them.

Mockney

We had less possession, less attempts, and less passes than them. We may have been better, but we didn't "outplay" them. It was a relatively even game all in all.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
When you're fouled constantly in good positions it often does. We weren't lucky to win. We outplayed them.
We deserved to win for sure but we got lucky at times, we were also got beat in terms of chances and possession against a really abysmal Olympiakos side, Their defence was largely all over the place.

amolbhatia50k

Perhaps in a few months I can look back on this game and see it as the start of great things, when it looks like his plan of cohesive, controlling, attractive football is finally coming together. But at this point it's a bit like saying "Well done little Timmy, you may have managed to throw all your food on the floor, spit all over the table and shit yourself, but you've picked up the cup! Hooray! Happy 14th Birthday."

It's such a base managerial requirement to motivate a team in this position, and so largely his fault to begin with, that to give him credit for, essentially, NOT fecking up and slumping out in pathetic fashion isn't really something I feel like jumping at. Though yes, he did manage to not do that. Well done Timmy.

Yes Giggs and Wellbeck played. Both played reasonably well too. But it wasn't some managerial masterstroke of tactical nouse. We didn't control the game, exploit their weaknesses or nullify their threats. We had less possession, at home against Olympiacos, who also conspired to have more attempts on goal (14 > 12) and more completed passes than us (327 > 309) but we scored a penalty and a free kick. It wasn't exactly Chelsea away at City.

Exactly how I feel. Ditto.

Sam

We had less possession, less attempts, and less passes than them. We may have been better, but we didn't "outplay" them. It was a relatively even game all in all.
When you look at that, and then realise this is probably the best night of the Moyes reign so far, well, it tells you everthing you need to know.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'd refer anyone feeling a bit optimistic to what essentially has become Manchester United's motto this season: One step forward, two steps back.

amolbhatia50k

And i don't believe in this whole one game of super relevance I.e "the night that...." bullshit. I'd rather rate a manager based on the football I've seen him get his team play over the course of a season than a cup tie or two.

surf

The last half hour tonight was very unconvincing. Moyes needs to sort out this going into their shell once they get in front.

DOTA

We were pretty much constantly attacking in possession, they weren't. They were shooting from range, we weren't.

De Gea had to make saves and they wasted other chances but I don't think that changes the fact they were considerably inferior overall.

EDIT - I am quite drunk, now. So if this is massively hop-tinted glasses, I apologise. It is merely how I remember it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think most people are just relieved we managed to get through and avoid more embarrassment. The Liverpool game will likely end up defining the season (unless either City is even worse or something ridiculous happens in the champions league), so no-one really need worry about him getting any undue plaudits due to beating Olympiacos. Just no real reason to stick the knife in again either, enjoy the feeling of having won whilst it lasts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Did anyone else's sphincter sjrink to half it's size when he brought on Fletcher and then Fellaini. It felt like we were inviting pressure for a long period near the end and it all felt a little too familiar and inevitable.

Hearing the whistle go a bit sooner than expected was a huge relief.

Mockney

I think most people are just relieved we managed to get through and avoid more embarrassment. The Liverpool game will likely end up defining the season (unless either City is even worse or something ridiculous happens in the champions league), so no-one really need worry about him getting any undue plaudits due to beating Olympiacos. Just no real reason to stick the knife in again either, enjoy the feeling of having won whilst it lasts.
Is fair enough.

Pscholes18

Just saw the score, glad the boys came through and fought off elimination. However, it doesn't change a thing in terms of Moyes...he still needs to go.

adamwest

Yes Giggs and Wellbeck played. Both played reasonably well too. But it wasn't some managerial masterstroke of tactical nouse. We didn't control the game, exploit their weaknesses or nullify their threats due to these players playing. We had less possession, at home against Olympiacos, who also conspired to have more attempts on goal (14 > 12) and more completed passes than us (327 > 309) but we scored a penalty and a free kick. It wasn't exactly Chelsea away at City.

Gave me a laugh :lol:

bugmat

Tonight wasn't really about Moyes though he benefited. The tactics were still based on an uninspiring set up with players too far away from each other to get great passing moves together. It was however about the team rediscovering their hunger & desire. This was more about the players putting in 100% despite the rigidity they are instructed to play within, rather than any tactical amsterstroke (though he did choose the lineup and Giggs adn Welbeck were key). He's still not shown anything to say he'll improve in the areas he needs to. Same 4-4-1-1, no formation that maximises and AM, etc etc but at least the players put in the required effort.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Because he'd be our cnut... Sir Alex was well respected but not well liked at all...
I think in general, maybe just in the Caf though, we like footballers/managers with 'characters' as long as they can back it up. Just look at people's response to Moyes "we'll try" press interview. Most don't like it because we see it as a sign of weakness and less confidence. I know I like United manager to be full of confidence, and borderline arrogant; but I actually prefer humble people in 'real life'.

It's just polemic.

adamwest

Without going into the doom and gloom of everything (I still think Moyes needs to go) but instead just this...

When the rent boys won the CL a couple years ago, they were disasters domestically and somehow, throughout everything, managed to win the CL. They also overturned a european deficit. The addition of this triumph allowed them to further convince a certain Mr Hazard to their ranks and the rest needs no reminding.

Now I'm aware that we are even worse domestically and as erratic as any team could get. We are being managed by a man who, as nice a fella as he seems, seems completely overwhelmed by the task at hand. We have gaps and holes everywhere and are relying on a 40 year old god to drag us through glorious midweek matches.

Despite all of this, wouldn't it just be so Manchester United to go and win the fecking thing and stick that right up the arses of the fourth place Scouzers! I mean, draw either Chelsea or Dortmund in the quarters (both of whom I am aware are better teams but CAN be exploited) and progress to the semis. All of a sudden, we are three games from glory and can in fact lose one of those to still make it reality?

Oh to be a Manchester United fan and have the word believe enscribed in your brain hahaha
I'm on board :)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Based on what? He's not just buying players for their name, but he's scouting them extensively and making sure they fit his 'plans'. He's overhauled out scouting system in general, and has been constantly talking about the areas he wishes to improve our game (though right now they basically equate to every area).

I don't see it working out for him anymore. But I don't doubt that he/United do have a plan more than just 'sign big names!' and I definitely don't doubt his work ethic, dedication or how seriously he is taking his position ('did he think he could just walk in here' comment from earlier)
That's the problem... He might overhaul it and not knowing how to put them back in

Mockney

Chelsea also sacked their manager half way through the season.

One thing I'll say on the positive side, is that those at OT finally got what they deserved. It would've been a belting atmosphere and a good night for once, so while I reserve my right to bitch about how it wasn't actually that good, if I was there I would've enjoyed myself a lot more. Which in some respects, is the point at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.