Moyes to appoint Neville, Round and others

Amir

The thing about a club like Barcelona is that even the coach is just another cog in the machine. They've got a sporting director, so he doesn't have complete authority over his playing staff or even the coaching staff. With us, the manager does have complete control. So it's a tough comparison.

I'm sure Moyes talked about it with Fergie and I'm confident that Fergie simply said it's up to him and how he feels. We've got good people, I'm sure, but Moyes must do what will help him do his job the best.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Listen, we all know ape shit about Fergie, Moyes and their backroom staff. So stop posting endless bullshit about the feckin backroom staff!!!

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
So what's the craic with these lads? Are they essentially Moyes' yes men?
Can't remember the match but, at HT, Moyes was walking down the tunnel with Neville in pursuit, scribbling down something on a writing pad. It looked Moyes was giving him the HT coffee orders

As I said in the Moyes thread, Giggs has been very surprising. His body language looks odd to me. He's not interacting with any of them on the bench and he doesn't seem to have his head up Moyes' arse like Neville does....Probably nowt in it but, appears odd to me.

Steve Round looks like a shit James Milner to me. Dunno much about him

Revan

Assumptionman
So what's the craic with these lads? Are they essentially Moyes' yes men?
They look more like listeners rather than yes men. Usually it is always Moyes talking and they are ust listening to him.

Sam

Anyone else get that sinking feeling everytime we're losing, and the camera pans to Neville, Round and Lumsden just sat there, looking gormless and emotionless? Its at that point, usually around the 70 minute mark, that I accept that we're going to lose.

I honestly don't think you could get a less inspiring bunch of people if you tried.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Anyone else get that sinking feeling everytime we're losing, and the camera pans to Neville, Round and Lumsden just sat there, looking gormless and emotionless? Its at that point, usually around the 70 minute mark, that I accept that we're going to lose.

I honestly don't think you could get a less inspiring bunch of people if you tried.
Yep, I feel the same, which is why I said in a different thread, Moyes needs help. Somone like querioz or McLaren (99 season)

.Rossi

They always look so clueless on the sidelines. Bunch of clowns with the king clown leading them.
I remember when we played Sunderland in 2002, Keane had a go at Neville. Keano shoved him...He waited till Keane walked off, put the mean stare on and said "Don't you fecking push me!"....Keane turned around and judging by Neville's face, he was touching cloth :lol:

All I'm saying is the guy wore an ear piece during the match Saturday, despite the fact anyone he needed to communicate with was right beside him. The guy is a poser of the highest order

savais

They always look so clueless on the sidelines. Bunch of clowns with the king clown leading them.
Its one thing being disappointed with the way things are going this season, but this is just childish.

Bear Attack

Of all the things to blame Moyes for, this really isn't one of them. Any reasonable ambitious manager would have wanted his own men. Yes, Round et al do look like a bunch of clueless jabronis but it is absurd to say it's Moyes' fault.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Of all the things to blame Moyes for, this really isn't one of them. Any reasonable ambitious manager would have wanted his own men. Yes, Round et al do look like a bunch of clueless jabronis but it is absurd to say it's Moyes' fault.
Ambitious maybe but certainly insecure. He had wanted to come in and do it 'his way'.. when any fool would think that 'we had a winning team, why change it'?

Bear Attack

It is insecurity, yeah. But, certainly justified and understandable. And I think 9/10 managers would have done it. I'd be hard pressed to think of one that wouldn't.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It is insecurity, yeah. But, certainly justified and understandable. And I think 9/10 managers would have done it. I'd be hard pressed to think of one that wouldn't.
True but 9/10 managers won't be taking over a club with a blueprint to as successful as United.

And we had to get that 1!!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I always said he was right to have his own men. But frankly, there's got to be something wrong with coaching happening for us to play this badly. Surely, great coaching doesn't produce this kind football?! It should surely come through in performances, like what is happening at Southampton

Bear Attack

The diplomatic thing to say is that we don't know anything behind the scenes so this is pointless conjecture (which is fair). But, although baseless, we all sense that the coaching staff are a bit shit. I mean, just take a look at Steve Round's vacant howdy doody face.

.Rossi

I always said he was right to have his own men. But frankly, there's got to be something wrong with coaching happening for us to play this badly. Surely, great coaching doesn't produce this kind football?! It should surely come through in performances, like what is happening at Southampton
It's what happens when you employee coaches, who haven't coached before (that's you Phil)

And, look at "Uncle" Jim's track record

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I brought this way back ago. Neville and Giggs aren't suited to coach the team.

Neville is an ex United squad player, he moved to Everton to get first team football (because he's not good enough to do that with us, and its not his fault we have better player in his position), he has been trained by midtable coaches for the past few years, playing midtable football with midtable resources, there is nothing that suggest he will do a better job than any of our first eleven.

Giggs are just there for the influence, what he possess is sublime technique and longetivity, something you can't simply pass along to the rest of the team. You can make a case for Ole because he is tactically astute even in his playing year, judging by his reading of the game.

They could have been brilliant given the time and all that, but at the moment, it is hard to portray the players taking them seriously. Giggs is the player they respect, but technical and coaching wise, he's no better than the rest of the squad. What Giggs get everyone get at one point of time, there's nothing that Giggs knows and the rest don't know.

With Rene, at least he's a professional coach, and not an ex footballer, even if he's young and hasn't won anything, he has done his homework as professional coach for years. This alone will make him seen in a different way.

And I suspect, turn it the other way around. If Ole was given Everton to manage 10 years ago, I'm sure he won't be that far off with what Moyes has achieved.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Neville is an ex United squad player, he moved to Everton to get first team football (because he's not good enough to do that with us, and its not his fault we have better player in his position), he has been trained by midtable coaches for the past few years, playing midtable football with midtable resources, there is nothing that suggest he will do a better job than any of our first eleven.
Not sure what you are trying to get at here. He wasn't brought into to a better job than any of our first eleven. He has not been brought in as a player, he is a coach.

Because he wasn't in the top bracket at United during his days here has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Look at one of the worst coaches ever, Diego Maradona, he was a decent player but wasn't suited to the new role. Playing ability has nothing to do with coaching ability.

Phil Neville, while playing, still did quite a bit of work in regards to coach education, he wasn't locked down in Everton during his time there, he completed badges, learnt from top coaches around the world.

I'm not here saying Phil Neville is a fantastic coach and is or isn't the right man for the job, I just can't accept your point about it.

Overall though, you can only laugh at people who judge coaches. Yes, we can have our views on why things are going the way they are but we are not on the training pitch. The players know what the coaching is like, we have absolutely no idea. Sure, from a basic perspective, you would think the team is playing poorly due to poor coaching but it doesn't always work like that. I mean it's not Phil Neville's fault Jones' penalty hasn't landed. It's not Neville's fault Carrick swung a knee to a free kick. Again, I'm not saying he is this master coach or anything but only the players and other staff know what he is like as a coach, we don't. You can't tell from facial expressions when a goal goes in, that's people eating what the media feeds them.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not sure what you are trying to get at here. He wasn't brought into to a better job than any of our first eleven. He has not been brought in as a player, he is a coach.

Because he wasn't in the top bracket at United during his days here has nothing to do with his coaching ability. Look at one of the worst coaches ever, Diego Maradona, he was a decent player but wasn't suited to the new role. Playing ability has nothing to do with coaching ability.

Phil Neville, while playing, still did quite a bit of work in regards to coach education, he wasn't locked down in Everton during his time there, he completed badges, learnt from top coaches around the world.

I'm not here saying Phil Neville is a fantastic coach and is or isn't the right man for the job, I just can't accept your point about it.

Overall though, you can only laugh at people who judge coaches. Yes, we can have our views on why things are going the way they are but we are not on the training pitch. The players know what the coaching is like, we have absolutely no idea. Sure, from a basic perspective, you would think the team is playing poorly due to poor coaching but it doesn't always work like that. I mean it's not Phil Neville's fault Jones' penalty hasn't landed. It's not Neville's fault Carrick swung a knee to a free kick. Again, I'm not saying he is this master coach or anything but only the players and other staff know what he is like as a coach, we don't. You can't tell from facial expressions when a goal goes in, that's people eating what the media feeds them.
We dont. When i apply for high paying jobs, the employer didn't know the extent of my capability, hence they judge me from my cv.

And he has got nothing on his cv in coaching department. Before you brought straight to managerial player, you have to understand that they're either big names in the past (maradonna) , ex youth coaches at some point (pep), assistant to robson (mourinho), or simply managing lower level team at first (keane, ole, etc)

Not many succesful manager jumping straight to top tier teams at the first go. Off course phil is not a manager, simply coach, but logic tells me he will need experiences in tactical aspects of the game rather than just applying what he has been through as a player

togg

This all seems similar to the Mike phelan criticism in the past. None of you have any idea how good they are at coaching or what their specific responsibilities are.
no we don't, but with the team playing as they are...and the results as they are....just like any journo it's ok on a forum to speculate and have opinions about it all in a desperate attempt to find reasons for what is a pretty monumental demise of a Championship winning team.

relx

Frnkie Sys
Negatives aside, Chris Woods is a quality appointment in my opinion

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This all seems similar to the Mike phelan criticism in the past. None of you have any idea how good they are at coaching or what their specific responsibilities are.
I think the idea of hiring a bunch of "yes men" who aren't really going to challenge Moyes, nor bring in anything above what Everton used to have, sticks with a lot of people.

You'd think - at a new, bigger club then his last - a place where his old techniques/way of going about things wouldn't be enough - he would bring in people with new/different ideas, and who maybe are used to winning things/being in a winning set-up.

Or maybe not.

Oggmonster

I agree you want your own people but by completely removing a backroom staff it is bizarre. I'm not going to say what the coaches do and they're all idiots because I don't know what they do and I'm pretty sure they aren't idiots.

When going to a new job you want your people, it's why he signed Fellaini and tried with Baines as he knows they will work for him and it's why he brought in his coaching staff. But you also want some familiarity which Moyes has seemingly abandoned and it will probably unsettle the players somewhat. Fair enough Giggs and Neville have been round the club but only in playing roles. Look at City or Chelsea, they kept some of the staff on even if it's just for a familiar face.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Watch how we play and you'll see that it's not working and that we have an approach from the past that's not doing it for United

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
imo Neville, Round, Giggs are what we (in rap music) call weed carriers. They might look busy on matchday in fancy tracksuits with the charts, shouting, pointing and at key moments huddled up in deep discussion. But ultimately they don't add any value to Moyes's work. Even I know that launching balls into the box at every opportunity is only acceptable when you are chasing a game in 2nd half injury time.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
It seems to be a right circus at the moment, on the face of it, moyes is doing everything to get things right, you see him on the bench talking to the coaches and then giving out instructions to the players from the technical area.

The old bloke, sorry forgot his name, does he still get involved during the match, also Round seems as passive as a banana, at least Neville gets up when we are making a substitute.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Of all the things to blame Moyes for, this really isn't one of them. Any reasonable ambitious manager would have wanted his own men.
All the more reason why Moyes shouldn't have. I'd blame him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why? To say yes to him/not challenge any of his techniques? That doesn't really scream of ambition to me.

Bear Attack

It is insecurity in one hand but ambition on the other. The end of the Ferguson era was a watershed and I think most managers would have wanted to stamp their their mark and start anew. Obviously, from an outsider, it is quite easy to say that he shouldn't have torn down winning institutions but I completely empathize with his decision. It is less about refusing to listen to opposing opinions but more about the projection of power. You can see parallels in the financial world.

Mersault

It is insecurity in one hand but ambition on the other. The end of the Ferguson era was a watershed and I think most managers would have wanted to stamp their their mark and start anew. Obviously, from an outsider, it is quite easy to say that he shouldn't have torn down winning institutions but I completely empathize with his decision. It is less about refusing to listen to opposing opinions but more about the projection of power. You can see parallels in the financial world.
aye. I don't think anyone would have objected had a top class manager come in and brought along his top class coaching staff. If we had actually appointed a top class proven manager there would have been a more established authority, but the whole story about SAF sitting him down in his house to inform him that he's just got a new job speaks volumes. I would have preferred someone else, but I wasn't keen on Jose. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I guess Jose would have been a great choice, he would have made a clean break between the SAF era and what was to follow. He'd hardly be phoning him every now and then to ask for advice. He wouldn't need to.

Saying that, I still want Klopp. Though I'd take quite a few over DM.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
no we don't, but with the team playing as they are...and the results as they are....just like any journo it's ok on a forum to speculate and have opinions about it all in a desperate attempt to find reasons for what is a pretty monumental demise of a Championship winning team.
And it's ok to label such opinions as speculative, and ultimately rubbish, pending solid information.

I exercise that right.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We've produced the same tumescent performance every week this season. These lads are accountable too.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Any other manager you could understand getting his own men in, except maybe Solskjaer.

Moyes was the one manager who should have kept them. Unlike candidates with pedigree, he was brought in to continue the dynasty and style already embedded. His appointment was an appointment of continuity.

Then he hacked it all to pieces, the lovable rascal.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Any other manager you could understand getting his own men in, except maybe Solskjaer.

Moyes was the one manager who should have kept them. Unlike candidates with pedigree, he was brought in to continue the dynasty and style already embedded. His appointment was an appointment of continuity.

Then he hacked it all to pieces, the lovable rascal.
:lol: