MU TOUR 2023: USA Confirmed

edcunited1878

All the cities or just SD?
Not sure yet, just know about SD. It's against Wrexham, as per the rumors. Local pro club and friends at a prominent pub have confirmed the press conference for Monday at 11.30am Pacific at Snapdragon Stadium. So three consecutive football events happening in SD this weekend, starting with Wave FC/NWSL home opener, then a friendly match of two Liga MX teams (Tijuana v Club America), and then on Monday, the United announcement.

Todd

Anyone remember how many matches they typically play on a summer tour?

I feel like it can't be more than 5 or so, and San Diego and Vegas seem to already be confirmed. Doesn't leave much hope for many more cities.

lex talionis

Potential date for San Diego is 26 July.
Nice. Anywhere in California that has a proper stadium except Levi Stadium in Santa Clara. In late July that stadium is a fecking furnace. To ensure a decent TV audience in the UK the match would have to be played at 12 or 2pm pacific time at the latest and the heat at that time of day at that time of year in that particular stadium is unbelievable.

San Diego, however, is spectacular even at noon.

edcunited1878

Nice. Anywhere in California that has a proper stadium except Levi Stadium in Santa Clara. In late July that stadium is a fecking furnace. To ensure a decent TV audience in the UK the match would have to be played at 12 or 2pm pacific time at the latest and the heat at that time of day at that time of year in that particular stadium is unbelievable.

San Diego, however, is spectacular even at noon.
The only issue is that San Diego has recently had these humid and warm days, which makes being outside in a stadium without a canopy or shade like Snapdragon a little uncomfortable...they had this exact same issue, more so just really damn hot, the first event last year at Snapdragon.

But 100% agree with you on Levi Stadium. Not only is it a furnace but not much to do around the immediate surrounding area. Most weekday Tour matches in America have been during the evening, so I'd say maybe 5pm local time.

MyBloodIsRed

That's a list of cities they won't be going to. The four cities they will be playing are where the question marks on the departure board are.
that would suck.. means no Midwest option unless they go to Minnesota.:(

lex talionis

The only issue is that San Diego has recently had these humid and warm days, which makes being outside in a stadium without a canopy or shade like Snapdragon a little uncomfortable...they had this exact same issue, more so just really damn hot, the first event last year at Snapdragon.

But 100% agree with you on Levi Stadium. Not only is it a furnace but not much to do around the immediate surrounding area. Most weekday Tour matches in America have been during the evening, so I'd say maybe 5pm local time.
I assume we're talking about Petco Park, which isn't really suitable for soccer but will do just fine. On a bad day it can be hot and humid but it's usually nice at that time of year -- anytime of year, actually.

If the match were to played in the evening -- and it might as well be 8pm if 5pm is on the table -- then it could be played anywhere in California that has a 70,000 stadium. I'd be surprised is SoFi doesn't get a United match. If anyone wants to know how much it cost to build SoFi you better be sitting down when you read the news: $5 BILLION.

edcunited1878

I assume we're talking about Petco Park, which isn't really suitable for soccer but will do just fine. On a bad day it can be hot and humid but it's usually nice at that time of year -- anytime of year, actually.

If the match were to played in the evening -- and it might as well be 8pm if 5pm is on the table -- then it could be played anywhere in California that has a 70,000 stadium. I'd be surprised is SoFi doesn't get a United match. If anyone wants to know how much it cost to build SoFi you better be sitting down when you read the news: $5 BILLION.
There's a new football and soccer dedicated stadium in San Diego in the same location that hosted two Super Bowls, college football bowl games, and Chargers/Padres when they both were in town. The stadium is called Snapdragon Stadium. Snapdragon's parent company, Qualcomm, is headquartered in San Diego and became a global sponsor of United this past season.

I think Vegas and/or LA will see a United pre-season match.

RG 11

Seattle would be a good choice. Large football following, 75K capacity stadium, mild summer weather.
Yeah, I went for the 2015 tour game. Stadium was packed and buzzing. Hopefully that is one of the venues again.

Resonance

Anyone remember how many matches they typically play on a summer tour?

I feel like it can't be more than 5 or so, and San Diego and Vegas seem to already be confirmed. Doesn't leave much hope for many more cities.
Last pre-season was 6 games but this included 1 game back at Old Trafford right before the season started so 5 seems about right.

lex talionis

There's a new football and soccer dedicated stadium in San Diego in the same location that hosted two Super Bowls, college football bowl games, and Chargers/Padres when they both were in town. The stadium is called Snapdragon Stadium. Snapdragon's parent company, Qualcomm, is headquartered in San Diego and became a global sponsor of United this past season.

I think Vegas and/or LA will see a United pre-season match.
I didn't realize San Diego had such a stadium. Is it the old Murph? I thought it got torn down. In any event, San Diego is a city for a United man. If Vegas and LA are added, what a fantastic 7-10 swing that would be the team and for fans.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m glad we are going to the US

We have some great fans over there so only right they get to see Ten Hag and the team!

edcunited1878

I didn't realize San Diego had such a stadium. Is it the old Murph? I thought it got torn down. In any event, San Diego is a city for a United man. If Vegas and LA are added, what a fantastic 7-10 swing that would be the team and for fans.
It is on the exact same site as the old Murph, yes, 100% correct. It was torn down as part of a university expansion and the only thing that is erected for now is the stadium, which opened last summer.

MyBloodIsRed

So likely, starting on the West Coast, making their way across country to make it a shorter flight back to Manchester at the end of the tour… hopefully a stop in Kansas City or Chicago!!!!

Todd

July 25th seems kinda late for the first preseason match, given that the Premier League starts on August 12th.

I'm guessing there's only going to be 3 or 4 matches, which doesn't bode well for most of us given San Diego is one of them and Vegas has all but been confirmed as another.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
July 25th seems kinda late for the first preseason match, given that the Premier League starts on August 12th.

I'm guessing there's only going to be 3 or 4 matches, which doesn't bode well for most of us given San Diego is one of them and Vegas has all but been confirmed as another.
It’s the first one that’s announced, doesn’t mean it’s the first one timewise.

edcunited1878

Yup, we’ll really learn something about the team in preseason playing a national league team. :houllier:
As things are trending and hope it does through the rest of the season for both clubs...it will hopefully be a match up between a Championship football club versus a Champions League club and current holders of at least 1 domestic trophy, if not 2 or a European cup holder.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
As things are trending and hope it does through the rest of the season for both clubs...it will hopefully be a match up between a Championship football club versus a Champions League club and current holders of at least 1 domestic trophy, if not 2 or a European cup holder.
Are you expecting things to take a negative turn? I can’t see United getting relegated and there’s no way Wrexham will get promoted 3 divisions in what’s left of the season…… :wenger:

edcunited1878

Are you expecting things to take a negative turn? I can’t see United getting relegated and there’s no way Wrexham will get promoted 3 divisions in what’s left of the season…… :wenger:
You know what I mean...Championship level club in League Two, One, or Championship. Not non-league football...they also have the best GK in the league

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You know what I mean...Championship level club in League Two, One, or Championship. Not non-league football...they also have the best GK in the league
They are not Championship level, and there ‘best goalkeeper in the league’ hasn’t played football in 6 months having retired in September. That should speak to the quality of the league they play in! (And I’m not even shitting on NL football, my family support Hednesford Town in the southern league central division!)