g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Mulholland Drive

lem8sh

I thought that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be some kind of classic? One of the worse movies I have ever seen. Typical David Lynch incoherent bollocks.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't know why you watched it if you don't like David Lynch's style of film. Although I think it's probably one of his most accessible.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I hope you aren't planning on watching Eraserhead next.

lem8sh

I don't know why you watched it if you don't like David Lynch's style of film. Although I think it's probably one of his most accessible.
I know but it's one of those movies that I felt I had to watch eventually because of the **** status around it and it's inclusion in many greatest movie lists, just to see the hype around it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
No thanks :)
Although seriously, Elephant Man and The Straight Story are great films that aren't typically Lynch-y and I'd recommend to anyone.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
But how is this film making "greatest ever" lists?! Even Lynchs biggest fans couldn't like that shite.
It is a good film if you are into that kind of thing. I like Lynch, though I'm not one of those who thinks everything he does is genius and if you don't agree, you don't get it.

But greatest ever lists are subjective of course anyway, and the fact it makes so many should tell you that whilst it's not to your taste, it is to many others.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Part of the charm of acclaimed works of fiction is their near-inscrutablility, which gives us the delicious opportunity to try to fathom what the creator is attempting to 'say'. For instance, I've long been fascinated with critics' interpretations of the famous novella Heart of Darkness...more so with the criticism than with the book itself, truth be told.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The famous film critic David Thomson discusses Mulholland Drive:

Mulholland Dr, the 2001 film by David Lynch, very well reviewed in its time, but of growing authority and reputation.

Why? Essentially, because it is a mystery film that never settles its own mystery. Even its greatest admirers are loathe to explain it or endure it being explained.

Here is a film in which the attitude to the world opts for fatal atmosphere instead of resolution.
David Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive' Explained:
http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/film/news/a7676/mulholland-drive-explained/

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I was falling asleep in the cinema and then the lezzing started, and I woke up and went 'yes' too loudly that my wife elbowed me indignantly.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Part of the charm of acclaimed works of fiction is their near-inscrutablility, which gives us the delicious opportunity to try to fathom what the creator is attempting to 'say'. For instance, I've long been fascinated with critics' interpretations of the famous novella Heart of Darkness...more so with the criticism than with the book itself, truth be told.
Aye, I agree. Which is why it's perfectly fine for some to see the movie/Lynch's style as a grand facade of airy-fairy nonsense, others feast on the ambiguities and the various interpretations available. Especially now on the web.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Lynch's entire repertoire, Mulholland Dr. is a great movie for me. Ignoring the convoluted - or perhaps at first (and maybe second) glance non-existent - plot, the film adheres to and deals with a lot of movie conventions excellently. The diner scene in Winkies has the absolute perfect level of eeriness in a mystery/thriller movie.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I just like the soundtrack. The movie itself didn't do anything for me.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I often wonder if Lynch gets too much credit for its fuzziness. It was meant to be the pilot for a television show and when ABC rejected it he quickly wrote some pages and filmed them to make it self contained.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Worst thing is I watched this a few months ago and can't remember a thing from it. Didn't dislike it, it was ok, but nowhere near my top 100 let alone 10. Strange that it was that forgettable for me... Fwiw his style and surreal in general is something that interests me.

Sweet Square

I often wonder if Lynch gets too much credit for its fuzziness. It was meant to be the pilot for a television show and when ABC rejected it he quickly wrote some pages and filmed them to make it self contained.
Yeah after watching this interview I get the feeling Lynch isn't trying to too much or anything at all.

Although as @SteveJ said it us the delicious opportunity to try to fathom what the creator is attempting to 'say'.

Also I love David Foster Wallace take on Lynch films - Full interview

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's quite simple. If you didn't like it, you probably just need to smoke more weed and try to watch it again.

Or eat magic mushrooms before you watch it, I did this with some friends before we watched it for the first time, ten years ago or so. After it finished we were tripping so hard we were genuinely convinced we had been put on this earth to find out the deeper meaning behind the movie and we realized it was our mission to analyse it for the rest of our lives. Just reading this thread gives me some very intense flashbacks, I'm too old for shite like that now, but man how I miss those days.

All in all it's a good and entertaining enough film but it's not that good. If you want a real good film with some abstract elements and emotional intensity, I would tell you to watch something like Vozvrashcheniye (The Return) by Andrey Zvyagintsev, now that's a proper modern day masterpiece in my book.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A film I don't recommend having a smoke with is Primer... The way they talk and mumble over eachother had me bugging out, it's only when I rewatched it to be sure it wasn't me, I found out it was the way the film was made not the weed I had smoked.

Kaos

Its probably my favourite work by Lynch, if not very closely tied with Blue Velvet.

Edit: Scrap that, has to be Twin Peaks.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I thought that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be some kind of classic? One of the worse movies I have ever seen. Typical David Lynch incoherent bollocks.
Yeah, Blue Velvet would be the classic Lynch film. The perfect movie of accessibility and Lynchian weirdness that I feel was one of those movies that sort of changed cinema when it came out in the sense of having a pioneering feel about it. I don´t think anyone had quite seen anything like it before and were fascinated by it. It´s like anyone from the most mouth breather BSI Miami groupie to the most cynical pretentious kunt film critic could come together and love this film.

I had the bizarre experience of watching it in a Colombian theater with a run-of-the-mill conservative, not very intellectual audience, and it got a standing ovation at the end. Never have experienced anything like it. That never happens. Almost as surreal as the movie itself.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I need to revisit both Mulholland and Blue Velvet soon, loved them when I first saw them but my recollection of them are starting to go a bit fuzzy.

Parry Gallister

Loads of good stuff in blue velvet, but I watched it again a year or two ago and it's not perfect, there is trite shite in there, like the fecking angel.

lem8sh

Yeah, Blue Velvet would be the classic Lynch film. The perfect movie of accessibility and Lynchian weirdness that I feel was one of those movies that sort of changed cinema when it came out in the sense of having a pioneering feel about it. I don´t think anyone had quite seen anything like it before and were fascinated by it. It´s like anyone from the most mouth breather BSI Miami groupie to the most cynical pretentious kunt film critic could come together and love this film.

I had the bizarre experience of watching it in a Colombian theater with a run-of-the-mill conservative, not very intellectual audience, and it got a standing ovation at the end. Never have experienced anything like it. That never happens. Almost as surreal as the movie itself.
Cool.

mu4c_20le

I actually thought this was one of his best, and I'm not a total Lynch fan.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Mostly shit movies. Only thing I've liked is Dune, and only thing I've loved is Twin Peaks.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Loads of good stuff in blue velvet, but I watched it again a year or two ago and it's not perfect, there is trite shite in there, like the fecking angel.
My favourite "trite" part is where Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Dern are walking on the sidewalk and all of a sudden he starts doing the Chickenwalk. Classic Lynch, and you can be sure the Hollywood suits would´ve cut that scene onetime had they gotten anywhere near that film.