Mykhaylo Mudryk

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I find it quite interesting that Chelsea fans think selling players is going to be like listing on football manager and they'll all sell.

Selling Pulisic, Ziyech, Auba, Lukaku who are on big wages is not going to be easy.
When we need to move players on, we do. If that means absorbing part of their wages… then we do. If he has catastrophic injury and simply is never able to play his wages can be shifted through things like insurance and don’t count against FFP.

And .. 100k a week is NOT stratospheric. And in 3 to 4 years (or maybe earlier) the player could be looking to renegotiate anyway, making the 8.5 moot for everything except FFP calculations.

Not to mention a good portion of that reported money assumes incentives built into the contract language.

But we aren’t in a hurry to correct.. because the marketing GOLD of Gunners running around saying “People who want money are greedy and horrible! Come to Arsenal where you can make less than a third keeper l!” Is priceless.

I mean… as sales pitches go… super strong.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
An eye for goal with those stats of his ?
From '22 when he had his big breakthrough he's played 18 games and scored 10 goals. That includes CL opposition.

He's a bit of a late bloomer but from the CL games I saw of him, he looked fantastic.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
10 goals 8 assists in 18 games overall this season.

3 goals 2 assists in 6 CL games.

Edit: seen the other responses. Didn’t mean to pile on :lol:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
12 goals and 15 assists from 2874 career minutes in the Ukrainian league and CL - a goal or assist every 106 minutes is elite for a wide player. Plus as @Adam-Utd points out his numbers have improved considerably over the past season and a half.

Feels like the production and talent aren't really up for debate, the huge looming question is the extent to which it is translatable to settings with regular top tier competition.

Charlie Foley

There will always be keyboard warriors in every fan base who are impatient and toxic as feck when it comes to players, managers etc. and this trend has gotten a lot worse or at the very least a lot more noticeable with the rise of social media. Maybe these kind of weirdos have always existed but nobody just cared what they thought but Twitter, Reddit etc. has given them a platform to do their moaning very publicly and most of all anonymously.
Good post. I guess there was bollocks spouted in the pub, the barber (my barber for a while was a Liverpool fan :( ) the school playground etc but anonymity and accessibility have changed it all now. Also people want instant gratification (this to me is societal rather than just a generational shift) and social media has changed how we consume football has well as express ourselves. I’ll start sounding like a troglodyte soon

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Bollocks.

This is a man who has failed to attract multiple top targets of ours. You are only dismissive since we are 8 points clear due to last seasons squad clicking, lack of injuries and a Saliba back from loan.

We have missed out on:
Mudryk
Raphina
Vlahovic
Buendia
Douglas Luiz
Martinez

Zinchenko /Jesus is 100% down to Artetas influence. Our transfer business is abysmal. Edu even paid £3 million to Marquinhos ex club as a goodwill fee despite being a free transfer.

We can continue riding our luck with a paper thin squad, but the reality is this is our best chance in almost 20 years to win the league. Edu has to do his job and sign reinforcements. Mudryk is not a shiny new toy, we need a two footed winger to rotate alongside Martinelli/Saka.
His job was to help the manager build a team that improves, gets back into the Champions League, and eventually hopefully challenges for the title. Bottom line is we are doing that and more, regardless of the players we have missed out on. Surely that's the big picture and ultimately the picture that the Sporting Director and Manager should get judged on.

Really, missing out on players shouldn't really matter, as long as the team is performing on the park?

Anyway, every club misses out on players. Even Chelsea with seemingly unlimited resources couldn't get everyone they wanted. We also don't know the restrictions or limitations he has to work under. Is he told by Josh Kronke to go out and get deals done no matter what? Does he have to get approval for every new bid put in? Is he told how much we will go up by in negotiations, or does he have free reign at that?

That's where Chelsea and Boehly and the other owner that went over to Turkey could have had an advantage. They are the owners, they can make snap decisions on how they spend their own money.

I just think some fans forget it's about what's happening on the pitch, and almost live for winning transfer windows like Spurs did in the summer, or Chelsea are doing this window.

mu4c_20le

12 goals and 15 assists from 2874 career minutes in the Ukrainian league and CL - a goal or assist every 106 minutes is elite for a wide player. Plus as @Adam-Utd points out his numbers have improved considerably over the past season and a half.

Feels like the production and talent aren't really up for debate, the huge looming question is the extent to which it is translatable to settings with regular top tier competition.
Of course it is... he was just beginning to have his first really good season. Also, 0 g/a for Ukraine despite plenty of game time against the likes of Armenia and Scotland. It's a valid question.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Of course it is... he was just beginning to have his first really good season. Also, 0 g/a for Ukraine despite plenty of game time against the likes of Armenia and Scotland. It's a valid question.
I mean he's played 420 minutes for Ukraine in his career total. Would hardly call that "plenty" of anything.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If his team mate could finish he should have had a great assist on his debut Vs Scotland.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The growth and development of young wingers is usually really tough to predict. I don’t understand why people would write him off when his career is really just getting started. No one would have predicted the career of Ronaldo, similarly there’s been plenty of next best things who fell off a cliff. Same with Sancho, you guys thought he was going to hit the ground running. Now he is seeing a head doctor.

Supports
Chelsea
Kvaratskhelia is someone we'd all love to have at our clubs yet in his final 3 seasons in the Russian PL before moving to Napoli his statistics read like this: P28 GS 3 / P23 GS 4 / P22 GS 2. He also had under 100 professional appearances before moving to Napoli. I'm willing to bet that he didn't magically turn into a world class player as soon as he joined Napoli, but was a mega talented young player that when surrounded by better players, in a fluid system allowed him to thrive. Mitoma is another one who looks brilliant yet in 2020 had only played 1 professional match in his entire career, and he turns 26 in May.

Point being, I think people are making a bit too much of his lack of experience. But we'll see. Brighton and Napoli are definitely places where players can come and just slot in with ease, given how well coached their teams are.

Member 125398

The growth and development of young wingers is usually really tough to predict. I don’t understand why people would write him off when his career is really just getting started. No one would have predicted the career of Ronaldo, similarly there’s been plenty of next best things who fell off a cliff. Same with Sancho, you guys thought he was going to hit the ground running. Now he is seeing a head doctor.
I think pretty much everyone predicted the career of Ronaldo.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Raphinha (He only wanted Barca, and Barca only)
Vlahovic (He only wanted Juventus, and Juventus only)
Martinez(Edu and Arteta couldn't/not willing to meet the asking price, and got Zinchenko instead)

I can't comment on the other deals, but the above three how can you blame him?
There were no alternatives for two of the 3 above mentioned. As much as I praise Arteta/Arsenal these days I'm still confused as to what Edu's role is? He hasn't even sold a player yet for relatively decent money.

All I see is constant BBQ's and taking Ryan air flights out.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
There were no alternatives for two of the 3 above mentioned. As much as I praise Arteta/Arsenal these days I'm still confused as to what Edu's role is? He hasn't even sold a player yet for relatively decent money.

I can only it is hard to please everyone.

Edu just recently got promote as Sporting Director. He must be doing all right from the management's perspective.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

21/22 - White, Ramsdale, Odegaard, Tomiyasu, Lokonga, Tavares, Trusty

22/23 - Jesus, Zinchenko, Vieira, Turner, Trusty Marquinos.

These are just the ins the last 2 seasons. We've had as many if not more leave the club.

Now he's not got everything right, but that's the same with any Sporting Director. I agree with you about sales, got ok money for Willock and Martinez, but should have got way more money for the likes of Mavropanos, Guendouzi and Leno.

But to say you don't know what he's done, when we've probably had 1 of the highest turnover of players in the league in a a bit strange.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the Mudryk thread everyone.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Generally find these videos to be pretty good and informative. Also a nice shoutout to @Raees in there!

Much as I still have doubts about the wisdom of this signing, the idiot part of my brain is also very excited to see fast guy go brrrrrrrrrr against Trent this weekend...

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Generally find these videos to be pretty good and informative. Also a nice shoutout to @Raees in there!

Much as I still have doubts about the wisdom of this signing, the idiot part of my brain is also very excited to see fast guy go brrrrrrrrrr against Trent this weekend...
Said a few times, I'm not going to change my mind because we missed out. Handled and nurtured correctly, he has all the raw ability and materials to be a star.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I don’t think he’s played any football since November. He’s been training with Shakhtar and spent a lot of time conditioning in the gym it seems but I’m wary of throwing him in straight into the starting lineup with his lack of match fitness, especially in such a huge game.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think he’s played any football since November. He’s been training with Shakhtar and spent a lot of time conditioning in the gym it seems but I’m wary of throwing him in straight into the starting lineup with his lack of match fitness, especially in such a huge game.
Yes but still, fast guy go brrrrrrrrrrr!!

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Mudryk is a brilliant player but Arsenal could not have done more to sign him, 62m guaranteed is a lot of money for a player from the Ukranian league. He was obviously desperate to join Arsenal and you could see it in his face at his unveiling. Unfortunately Shakhtar are in a uniquely depressing situation with the war, part of the money chelsea are paying is going to the war effort, Mudryk couldnt say its Arsenal or nothing, it got to a point where it became his duty to get Shakhtar as much money as possible.
Even if he flops at Chelsea I still wouldnt doubt his talent, they're a basket case of a club and he could be another Salah or De Bruyne, and turn into a superstar after doing nothing at Chelsea.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
More of a 2 footed Leroy Sane IMO.

He's a runner/dribbler and a good finisher but not a traditional striker.
As good a dribbler as young Sane? I'd like to see him in this league as a lot of these players are often used to leagues with space galore.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
https://theathletic.com/4093504/2023/01/18/inside-mudryk-deal-chelsea-arsenal/

According to an Athletic article by Simon Johnson and Adam Crafton he'll earn £97K a week at Chelsea which would rank him quite low in the club's salary table.

The same article says Arsenal's salary offer to Mudryk was within £10K of that, which was apparently confirmed by the Shakhtar CEO Sergey Palkin.
Basically you pitched yourselves much better than we did. From the outside the impression I get is that we were working against Shakhtar to try and get the best deal for ourselves, while when you came in you worked with them to make sure you got the deal done.

We need to learn lessons about that moving forward, competition is so fierce now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

According to an Athletic article by Simon Johnson and Adam Crafton he'll earn £97K a week at Chelsea which would rank him quite low in the club's salary table.

The same article says Arsenal's salary offer to Mudryk was within £10K of that, which was apparently confirmed by the Shakhtar CEO Sergey Palkin.
Wait so you're saying some of the reliable sources on here informing us we just threw money and wages above what Arsenal could/did offer were wrong? Surely not!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As good a dribbler as young Sane? I'd like to see him in this league as a lot of these players are often used to leagues with space galore.
England has amples of space, the games are always end to end. Only a few teams really sit deep and defend.

I never said he's as good as him, but a similar style. It's obviously very hard to judge what level he's at due to the lack of matches (only really CL coverage) but when I have seen him, he's always electric.

I suspect it'll take him a few months to get fit + adjust, but if he is driven he will be a big player IMO.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

This Shakhtar CEO has turned into one of the best Chelsea PR person out there :lol:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This Shakhtar CEO has turned into one of the best Chelsea PR person out there :lol:
Given his talk about Chelsea's plans and ambitions, would you be surprised if perhaps an idea was mooted about Clearlake investing in Shakhtar in the future, perhaps as 1 of the satellite clubs?

kaku06

Vulgarian
Like i said earlier, when 1 club is saying we'll give you everything you want and we'll outbid the rival bid, rolling out the red carpet and private jets, and the other club is haggling trying to get the fee down to a more reasonable level, then of course perceptions of both clubs will be different. As i said, Chelsea's sales pitch was just much better, the owners certainly seem good at that, and seem quite happy to tell other owners etc about their ambitious plans.
As much as I like mocking Arsenal, this is good for you. He’s not a €100m player. Never. It would have eaten chunk of your budget in a position he won’t be starter. Martnelli and Saka are far better and talented players. No one is dislodging them. You can spend that type of money in a far better way. In my opinion, you dodged a bullet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Given his talk about Chelsea's plans and ambitions, would you be surprised if perhaps an idea was mooted about Clearlake investing in Shakhtar in the future, perhaps as 1 of the satellite clubs?
Perhaps, but Shakhtar are one of the biggest clubs in Ukraine. When the feeder club idea was being mooted, I had pictured more middling clubs, not huge CL clubs.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
The problem for us is we couldn’t give the same add on conditions as Chelsea. They’ve put down CL qualifying and winning premier league as add ons, knowing that they probably won’t have to pay that for a long time . If we put that as add on it means we may have to pay up in the summer. We had to go the ballon dor route which they rejected, but at the moment the 2 clubs are not on the same level so Chelsea’s failure protects them more in terms of performance based costs.
The wages were neither here nor there, he would’ve accepted less at Arsenal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Perhaps, but Shakhtar are one of the biggest clubs in Ukraine. When the feeder club idea was being mooted, I had pictured more middling clubs, not huge CL clubs.
Yeah, I think exactly the same. My only thinking was because of the war the Ukrainian league might need some help in building itself back up, so could have been an opportunity within a bigger club that might not normally be available.
Just some mindless speculation on my part.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As much as I like mocking Arsenal, this is good for you. He’s not a €100m player. Never. It would have eaten chunk of your budget in a position he won’t be starter. Martnelli and Saka are far better and talented players. No one is dislodging them. You can spend that type of money in a far better way. In my opinion, you dodged a bullet.
I think Mudryk would displace Martinelli pretty quickly. In fact I think it's a position Arsenal should improve on when they get the chance, and I think they will.

I have tagged my own post from before we signed him when it looked like he was certain to sign for Arsenal, just preempt accusations of Chelsea bias :D

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mykhailo-mudryk-signs-8-5yr-deal-at-chelsea.474700/post-29965859

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I think exactly the same. My only thinking was because of the war the Ukrainian league might need some help in building itself back up, so could have been an opportunity within a bigger club that might not normally be available.
Just some mindless speculation on my part.
The CEO did mention some friendly matches between Shakhtar and Chelsea, one in London and in Donetsk where the proceeds from those games would go to aiding Ukraine in the ongoing war. I don't know if they want to allow themselves to be co-opted into a system that is designed to feed and sustain Chelsea. They'll have too much pride in themselves and their history, and rightly so. I wish this feeder club idea would just die. I hate it with a passion.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
I think Mudryk would displace Martinelli pretty quickly. In fact I think it's a position Arsenal should improve on when they get the chance, and I think they will.

I have tagged my own post from before we signed him when it looked like he was certain to sign for Arsenal, just preempt accusations of Chelsea bias :D

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mykhailo-mudryk-signs-8-5yr-deal-at-chelsea.474700/post-29965859
No chance, Arteta isnt that daft, he wanted Mudryk for the long term, dont think he can be expected to dominate the premier league fresh from playing in Ukraine, which is what Martinelli is doing every week, but next season arsenal could play 60 games, cant do that with 11 players, so depth in the forward areas is needed and he wouldve fit the bill. I imagine Arteta wouldve changed his position at times as well, not just played him as left winger.
Dont think chelsea have the manager, the midfield, or the set up, to get the best out of him, but will be intriguing to see.