Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauxees Moi Hui

Nani has 4 more years remaining on a huge contract with us. The contract takes him close to basically his retirement age. I can see why he would not want to move elsewhere unless the compensation package is just as good or at least nearly as good.

To the buyer, though, Nani is worth overall only a certain specified sum. If more of that sum goes to Nani in future wages, then less of that sum can go to us.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like I keep saying, and it's really obvious to honest, it's a case of affording the entire cost of the deal. Unless you think a club like Newcastle, Southampton or most other teams in the Premier League wouldn't like what Nani offers for only £5 million? I'm sure they'd rather spend millions on player from the Championship instead, which is all the rage right now. His wages are the issue, and they'll be an issue for most good clubs in Europe.

And we clearly don't get the best fees we can for players. We do our best to get the best move for the player moving, which is admirable, but we don't put much emphasis on the eventual fee, which I think should change.
I'm not sure I understand what you're on about here.

It's hard to move on a player who's on huge wages - as you seem to agree with.

That's the main problem, no?

Unless the player wants to take a pay cut, we have to cut the transfer fee - seems like the only possibly way. Hardly any club currently interested in Nani will be keen on matching his current wages AND pay what he's "actually" worth transfer wise.

Jerch

We shouldn't sale Nani before tour as i think he could still be very good player for us. Hope this rumors are not true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We shouldn't sale Nani before tour as i think he could still be very good player for us. Hope this rumors are not true.
Even if he could be a good player for us that doesn't mean he's worth the wages we're paying, especially if he has a fair few years left on his current deal. For that money we should be able to bring in someone the manager rates more.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed, especially if its as cheap as the speculation suggests. We'd be better off keeping him as one or two of our wingers will probably get injured or lose form at some point.

Kag

How do you know we don't get the best fees we can? Have you an inside track or just guessing? I'm sure those clubs could afford him with the TV money sloshing around. Even if his wage were an extra £50000 then they would normally pay it's only an extra £10m across a four year contract. If Fenerbche could afford it then plenty more could.
Ferguson himself (I think) admitted to selling the likes of Butt, Neville, O'Shea etc. below market rate due to good service in his recent book. Look at our outgoings over the years, it's clear that we don't exactly seem to push for high fees, irrespective as to whether or not we really want them here. Beckham and Van Nistelrooy also spring to mind. Kagawa back to Dortmund more recently.

Kag

I'm not sure I understand what you're on about here.

It's hard to move on a player who's on huge wages - as you seem to agree with.

That's the main problem, no?

Unless the player wants to take a pay cut, we have to cut the transfer fee - seems like the only possibly way. Hardly any club currently interested in Nani will be keen on matching his current wages AND pay what he's "actually" worth transfer wise.
That's true. Of course most clubs won't match his wages, but that still isn't an invitation to throw him off the books for well under his market value as quick as possible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Best to remember Nani for those couple of seasons he was probably our main creative player. Was terrific for a couple of
periods of time.

Some horrible long injury/off form spells though, that overall make the spell underwhelming. Nowhere near as bad as Anderson, but still a shame for the big fees paid.

ThanksBoss26

Best to remember Nani for those couple of seasons he was probably our main creative player. Was terrific for a couple of
periods of time.

Some horrible long injury/off form spells though, that overall make the spell underwhelming. Nowhere near as bad as Anderson, but still a shame for the big fees paid.
Agreed, he was a very good player for a time. We've had nothing from him for the last three seasons now though; poor by his own standards in Fergie's last season, the same under Moyes then loaned out. I don't see the point of another chance myself, though it's fair enough people looking to when he's on form and thinking why not see if he can rediscover it here.

For me, I'd cut our losses and take the opportunity to move him off the wage bill. This summer should hopefully be the final part of a long overdue clear out of the playing staff at this club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed, he was a very good player for a time. We've had nothing from him for the last three seasons now though; poor by his own standards in Fergie's last season, the same under Moyes then loaned out. I don't see the point of another chance myself, though it's fair enough people looking to when he's on form and thinking why not see if he can rediscover it here.

For me, I'd cut our losses and take the opportunity to move him off the wage bill. This summer should hopefully be the final part of a long overdue clear out of the playing staff at this club.
Look forward to a bit of squad movement, but am quite scared how actual little was achieved with the vast sum paid last summer.
Of course ridiculous fees are the way these days, but when you think Fellaini, Herrera, Blind, Mata and Di Maria are best part of £200m worth, yet most fans seem to still think we need 2 midfielders...it's worrying.

acnumber9

Ferguson himself (I think) admitted to selling the likes of Butt, Neville, O'Shea etc. below market rate due to good service in his recent book. Look at our outgoings over the years, it's clear that we don't exactly seem to push for high fees, irrespective as to whether or not we really want them here. Beckham and Van Nistelrooy also spring to mind. Kagawa back to Dortmund more recently.
All a long time ago. Kagawa was another with minimal suitors given how much he flopped here.

ThanksBoss26

Look forward to a bit of squad movement, but am quite scared how actual little was achieved with the vast sum paid last summer.
Of course ridiculous fees are the way these days, but when you think Fellaini, Herrera, Blind, Mata and Di Maria are best part of £200m worth, yet most fans seem to still think we need 2 midfielders...it's worrying.
I know what you mean, I cling to the hope there's a couple of those who can really step up this season and make themselves integral. Herrera and Di Maria in particular. I think this summer needs to be the last where we're looking for 5-6 players. Next summer I hope we're in a position where it's more tinkering with 2 or 3.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I just don't see the point in selling him so cheaply, why don't we keep him and play him, he clearly hasn't lost his ability.

Anyway, I am sure there would be something from the club if this were true. If it's only subject to a medical, there would be no reason not to announce it.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
LVG never wanted rid of him, Nani said he needed time away to sort his head out, he wanted to come back but insisted he needed this time (last season) and that he would risk being sold permenantly, as it happens LVG agreed to pay his wages for another club just to give him what he wants. Nani performed very well in the season just passed, and while you can cite the quality of that league as below the PL, you can only beat whats in front of you and he did.

That, crossed with the fact we seem to be moving to a 4-3-3 shape after signing Memphis and looking for a DM like Schwein, if thats the case, bar Memphis, Nani has to be first choice for that wide right inside forward role, hes coming into the right age, hes in a good frame of mind and will be important this season if we keep him..

Memphis Rooney Nani (1st choice)
ADM Carrick Herrera

Fellaini RVP Januzaj (2nd choice)
Young Blind Mata

Only signing another 2 inside forwards would make me confident enough to sell him for the derisory fee we will get

Cypriot

It would be a dream to have the Nani of old back. I'm a big fan of his, but I can't see it. I do hope he does well wherever he ends up though, he's remarkable on his day.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I never thought Nani was that bad that we needed to get rid of him. He's obviously a magician and should play football on a higher level than Sporting. Going to a place like Italy would only wash away his career.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mental letting him go so cheap, either he wants out or LVG doesn't fancy him. Not sure why all the reports came out about him wanting to end the loan spell early when Nani was in form if that's the case.

Bape

Why are we selling him? He showed last season for Sporting that all he needs is a bit of confidence and he can still be a very good winger. Di Maria does not look any better out wide than Nani.

Bwuk

I don't understand people who think he can return and play for us.

How often do sides loan out a player who's played for them for 7/8 years, is what, 27? 28? and he returns after a season and is a starter again?

Van Gaal clearly doesn't rate him, it's time to move on.

Ibi Dreams

I don't understand people who think he can return and play for us.

How often do sides loan out a player who's played for them for 7/8 years, is what, 27? 28? and he returns after a season and is a starter again?

Van Gaal clearly doesn't rate him, it's time to move on.
Well, how often does a team loan out a 27 year old player who then goes on to have a really good season? It's all a fairly unusual situation, but based on merit over the past year he deserves another chance

Green_Red

I disagree and think we would regret letting him go.

He has all the talent in the world - what he lacks is confidence. You want a healthy competition for places of course, but some players need to know that they will still get a game even if they make a mistake. Nani has had some very good games here, and for a season and a half was remarkably consistent and one of our best players.

I would love to see if LvG could work with him. If you consider the turn around he has helped engineer with Young and also Fellaini (both who were also players low on confidence and seemingly on their way out of the club), then I would be interested to see if Nani would also benefit. If he did, he could be one of the best wingers in Europe.

So no way would I risk selling him for 10m.
I have a sneaking suspicion LVG sent Nani home in the hopes of reinvigorating him. Hope he gets a chance. Good player.

Green_Red

Watch this and tell me we're not absolutely crying out for this kind of winger, its just so frustrating that Nani wasn't able to keep us that level of performance for us for more then 1/2 years...With the talent he has, he really should have done more with his United career imo.

When you say more with his United career. What 4 / 5 league titles, a european cup and two other finals isnt enough? A club players player of the year too. Yeh, totally crap isnt he, absolute waster. LMFAO!!!!

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Good luck to him, I would have liked us to give him another chance but if LVG doesn't think he's of use then so be it. Watching the 07/08 video recently it struck me what an important role he played in our last successful CL campaign, we shouldn't forget that.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
€5m? Wow! That's a pittance. Guess, the real gain would be the money we save on the wages.

Shame that him and Anderson could never fulfil their full potential. That 2007-2008 didn't turn out to be great in the long term.

Bwuk

Rubbish fee, but it gets him off the wage bill I suppose. We weren't really in a strong position, as we clearly didn't want him.

settembrini

€5m? Wow! That's a pittance. Guess, the real gain would be the money we save on the wages.
Exactly. It's a crap fee but he's almost certainly on quite big wages despite being, at best, our third choice left winger. Getting rid is only sensible.

stevoc

Shame brilliant player on his day.

Inventive, creative, exciting, takes risks the type of player United should have just never worked out for him. He finally got a good run of consistency around 2010-2012 and then that horror challenge from Carragher derailed him. He never seemed to recover from that for various reasons.

Lucky for Mr smash it into the defenders shins hes turned himself into a half decent RB.

IwatUwat

Wow that is a bad price. I dont really rate him since he dropped off but seriously we are awful at selling players. Crazy, good to get him off the books early wage wise. But £3mil? Surprised more prem sides werent interested if that was the fee, maybe wages though preventing.

vodrake

The fact that nobody except this one Turkish team were willing to take a punt on him may show that he's not quite worth as much as people on here think he is. You can't get a high fee when there's no actual demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.