NBA 2015-2016

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I was asleep but absolutely delighted with that pick. It was always Towns or Russell for me.

And maybe this means the office has a big lined up in FA.

The Sixers love themselves a big don't they. They're going to start playing big-ball in 6 years when Embiid makes his debut.

P.s that Nance Jr tweet... Oops. Hahaha

PvsNP

No big man for the Lakers ... That's somewhat surprising ..
Well, Upshaw went undrafted because of his off-court issues, but they've signed him for the Summer League. He could be a bargain if he pulls a Whiteside.

arthurka

Well, Upshaw went undrafted because of his off-court issues, but they've signed him for the Summer League. He could be a bargain if he pulls a Whiteside.
Yeah but I thought that Okafor would be a shoe-in for this..

Bubz27

Yeah but I thought that Okafor would be a shoe-in for this..
They've got their eyes on Aldridge, Cousins or Love.

Ive got more and more happy over the day that we've picked Russell to be honest. Not picking for the sake of it.

It's probably a pipe dream but Ive got dreams of Clarkson and Russell in the back court. Two 6'5 combo guards who can handle and score with Randle at the 3 or 4. A few accounts of of him having lost 20lbs and put in serious work on that outside jumper.

I'm excited. But alas, tis only a pipe dream.

PvsNP

Ive got more and more happy over the day that we've picked Russell to be honest. Not picking for the sake of it.

It's probably a pipe dream but Ive got dreams of Clarkson and Russell in the back court. Two 6'5 combo guards who can handle and score with Randle at the 3 or 4. A few accounts of of him having lost 20lbs and put in serious work on that outside jumper.

It's a good young nucleus to have. Very atypical by the Lakers to go down this route.

arthurka

I like this a lot ..
This makes a lot of sense .

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
The Timberwolves have a pretty nice core coming together, I can't wait to see how they manage to feck this all up.

ArmchairCritic

The West is absolutely stacked man. Going to be a great conference to watch next year.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
On this whole 76ers thing if the draft played out a little different these last few years we would be looking at this completely different. Last year's draft they wanted Wiggins and since Embiid was the expected #1 pick and Milwaukee picking Jabari Parker looked certain it looked like they were going to get him. Then Embiid gets injured Cavs pass on him and they end up taking Embiid since he was the best player available at 3. This year Okafor was expected to go #2 which would have ended up with Russell since he would fit their best player available strategy. Russell goes second so they ended up taking Okafor because he was the best player available. If they were building around Noel, Wiggins and Russell this strategy would not look as crazy. But, now they are stuck with 3 bigs and I personally do not see how they will work together. Unless one of them start consistently hitting jump shots I can not see any of them playing well together. Their spacing on offense will be abysmal. For whenever the 76ers start trying to compete I think only one of them will be left standing.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
No clue, he hasn't played in college or anything.
I would go with "probably not" but he wasn't a gimmick pick. If they took him, they have some hopes for him.
Thanks, man.

Bit skeptical since I read that he wasn't able to secure a college scholarship and that is why had to declare for the draft. I guess next season will tell us about his quality.

Any idea about this IMG academy? Have they produced any NBA level players before?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Thanks, man.

Bit skeptical since I read that he wasn't able to secure a college scholarship and that is why had to declare for the draft. I guess next season will tell us about his quality.

Any idea about this IMG academy? Have they produced any NBA level players before?
It's like a training program that also can serve as a prep school. Nba players have gone there before but they also had NCAA experience along with it. Singh is unusual because he only has his time at the academy.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Thanks, man.

It is a training center for a multitude of sports and a prep school. It is mostly known for the Bolleterri Tennis Academy and the U.S Soccer residency program(USA's attempt to create their own version of Clairefontaine) being housed there. They have recently put a lot of focus on their Basketball and Baseball programs. Nets draft pick Chris McCullough also spent some time there.

sport2793

I thought so too. They certainly had me fooled. Still, he's a great pick and has more potential than Okafor IMO.
Having seen both of them play in college and Okafor play in high school, I disagree with this. Okafor is a once in a generation big in terms of low-post refinement coming into the league. I think that Russell will become the best passer in the league as Lebron and Paul start to decline but I'm not convinced he will have more of an impact over time as someone like Wall or Irving (even though Russell is already a better playmaker than the latter). Russell will need a great big or wing player to be the primary scorer on offense and will need to improve defensively (didn't like what I saw when he went up against McConnell). Okafor will be a top 3-5 big man for a decent chunk of his career and will be the primary offensive option on a contending team. I think the reason that Okafor has fallen in terms of hype is because of the potential of Towns as a stretch big, a defender, and a big that can run the floor; the NBA is trending towards these sorts of players as they add significant potency to an offense (this is why I would draft Towns over Okafor). With that said, I personally think that it's easier to develop a shooting touch than it is to develop consistent post moves and Okafor already seems like he will trend in a similar fashion to a legendary big, Tim Duncan.

Both Russell and Okafor will be all stars though and the Lakers need a PG more than a big man, especially if they plan on keeping Randle. Ultimately, it's far more important how a team builds around each of them rather than who is better/has more potential right now. If you put Okafor with another low-post big, that will lead to problems. If you give Russell no wing or post scorers that will lead to problems. Towns is probably the only player that can fit into most, if not all, NBA systems.

Last edited:

PvsNP

Having seen both of them play in college and Okafor play in high school, I disagree with this. Okafor is a once in a generation big in terms of low-post refinement coming into the league. I think that Russell will become the best passer in the league as Lebron and Paul start to decline but I'm not convinced he will have more of an impact over time as someone like Wall or Irving (even though Russell is already a better playmaker than the latter). Russell will need a great big or wing player to be the primary scorer on offense and will need to improve defensively (didn't like what I saw when he went up against McConnell). Okafor will be a top 3-5 big man for a decent chunk of his career and will be the primary offensive option on a contending team. I think the reason that Okafor has fallen in terms of hype is because of the potential of Towns as a stretch big, a defender, and a big that can run the floor; the NBA is trending towards these sorts of players as they add significant potency to an offense (this is why I would draft Towns over Okafor). With that said, I personally think that it's easier to develop a shooting touch than it is to develop consistent post moves and Okafor already seems like he will trend in a similar fashion to a legendary big, Tim Duncan.

Both Russell and Okafor will be all stars though and the Lakers need a PG more than a big man, especially if they plan on keeping Randle. Ultimately, it's far more important how a team builds around each of them rather than who is better/has more potential right now. If you put Okafor with another low-post big, that will lead to problems. If you give Russell no wing or post scorers that will lead to problems. Towns is probably the only player that can fit into most, if not all, NBA systems.
I don't watch college ball, only the major highlights leading up to the draft to get an idea what type each player is, which is why it wouldn't make sense for me to have this discussion with you, given how little I've seen of both. I will say this though:

Russell will have the opportunity to work with Scott (who played with Magic, did a good job with Paul and Irving and had an elite PG in Kidd during his Nets days), Kobe and Nash. The latter did excellent work with Clarkson too who made the all rookie 1st team. His weaknesses, i.e. off-hand, consistency on defence, finishing at the rim, are easier to iron out with those 3 helping him than Okafor's (running the floor, FT shooting and defence in general).

However, if Embiid doesn't live up to his potential, a front court of Noel and Okafor will complement each other perfectly. At the moment, I'm inclined to Russell though.

Btw, I agree about Towns. Minnesota will have one hell of a team in a few years.

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

That zoom-in though, it really did make it look like he couldn't wait to wash his hands of that jersey.

PvsNP

He does seem a bit bitter though, judging by that and his face when Russell got drafted.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Who wouldn't? Between LA and Philly, it'll take time to recover from that.

Anyway, his face expressions do tend to look like that, even after he won the championship. So if I were a sixers fan, I won't care that much.

ArmchairCritic

I don't have an NBA team but I think I'm gonna start watching the Timberwolves to see how the feck up the core they have now.

Bubz27

Jahlol Okafor :lol:

He's so used to winning and now he's in Philly. Poor guy.

I'd take a small punt on Embiid if they're shopping him. If he can get over these injuries he's a seriously skilled big man.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Deng opts in, and per sources Dragic is a lock to re-sign with the Heat (85-90m 5-year deal?). Wade will opt out though... $45m 3-year deal?

Bubz27

Deng, Dragic, Wade, Whiteside, healthy Bosh and Winslow is a nice little rotation going on. Couple more decent bench players and in the East they're looking like one of the better teams.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Deng, Dragic, Wade, Whiteside, healthy Bosh and Winslow is a nice little rotation going on. Couple more decent bench players and in the East they're looking like one of the better teams.
A lot of ifs (if they stay healthy, if Winslow lives up to the hype, if Whiteside keeps it up...) but at least it has the potential to be an exciting season (like last season even though Miami didn't make it in the end).

Ah, and Miami aren't going to sign anybody else (most probably). Arison doesn't want to spend this season (he'll actually try to cut some guys to ease the luxury tax).

Bubz27

Rumours that Lakers are going for Aldridge AND Jordan in free agency. Crazy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert on cap space. But in the hugely unlikely scenario we get both, you obviously have to have something resembling a squad behind them. So keeping Russell, Clarkson and Randle is beneficial right, as their contracts are financially friendly?

So they'd keep their promising trio of youngsters, have Kobe, LA and DJ And then fill out the rest of the roster with whatever. Is that even possible?

Fwiw I see no way that it works. And in all likelihood Lakers go into next season with no big name through free agency, but is this double swoop even viable?

Jagga7

Rumours that Lakers are going for Aldridge AND Jordan in free agency. Crazy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert on cap space. But in the hugely unlikely scenario we get both, you obviously have to have something resembling a squad behind them. So keeping Russell, Clarkson and Randle is beneficial right, as their contracts are financially friendly?

So they'd keep their promising trio of youngsters, have Kobe, LA and DJ And then fill out the rest of the roster with whatever. Is that even possible?

Fwiw I see no way that it works. And in all likelihood Lakers go into next season with no big name through free agency, but is this double swoop even viable?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_lakers/

The cap is around 89 million this year, so they have plenty of space atm!

Bubz27

Cap is about $67 million, so theres no way they'd be able to sign both unless they took discounts. Even then, the roster would basically be a skeleton, you'd have clarkson/kobe/randle/russell/LMA/DJ. you'd be looking at bringing in minimum deal guys to fill out your roster
I get the numbers, but there has to be something to it if the Lakers are exploring it right? If it's completely unrealistic then it wouldn't even get the legs it has so far?

As for the rest of the roster, if Ryan Kelly is still on a decent contract, he's another guy to fill it. Itd be lacking in the backcourt so have to look for some minimums there.

And then next season Kobe retires and we go for Durant