g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NBA 2016-17

Revan

Assumptionman
My point really was that Ty Lue didn't really try to plan/strategize for KD's presence at all. His game plan was exactly the same as they used before KD showed up. KD is not Harrison Barnes. In this series I would have tried to make Steph and Klay beat me. There is a reason it was said (as little as two years ago) that a jump shooting team will never win a Championship. For me that would have been their best bet.
What on Earth he was supposed to do? The best Cavs' defender was on KD most of the time, and KD still averaged 35.2 points in over 60% true shooting accuracy. Doubling him, would have left Steph or Klay open, so it wouldn't have changed things much (and KD doesn't mind getting doubled in the first place, they tried to do that several times and it wasn't working).

The reason why Dubs won had nothing to do with the coaching IMO. It had all to do with having the second best player in the world (who was playing like being the best player in the world) in addition to the third best player in the world and two other top 10 - top 15 players.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
What on Earth he was supposed to do? The best Cavs' defender was on KD most of the time, and KD still averaged 35.2 points in over 60% true shooting accuracy. Doubling him, would have left Steph or Klay open, so it wouldn't have changed things much (and KD doesn't mind getting doubled in the first place, they tried to do that several times and it wasn't working).

The reason why Dubs won had nothing to do with the coaching IMO. It had all to do with having the second best player in the world (who was playing like being the best player in the world) in addition to the third best player in the world and two other top 10 - top 15 players.
I actually said in my initial thoughts that I believe the Warriors are a better team than the Cavs and of course that already puts them behind the 8-ball. However, you often hear that the best coaches could not only beat you with their own players, they could beat you with yours. I actually read a piece that congratulated Tyronn Lue because (coaching wise) he did nothing throughout the playoffs - he stayed true to what got them there. I think that was the biggest "load of bollocks" I've read in a long time. Basketball (like most sports) is all about Xs and Os. If they do something, how do I respond to negate the advantage their "tweak" gave them? In Ty's case "sweet FA". It's alright saying that the Dubs won because they had KD, Steph, Klay, Draymond etc... and that's probably true but if all you do as a coach is close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and pray which metaphorically is what Ty Lue did, then you deserve to take some heat.

Just as a thought. Why the hell would you waste LeBron guarding KD for the majority of the time? As you point out, he averaged 35 points per game anyway, so all it did was Traveller LeBron out and the Cavs really got no benefit. If the LeBron/KD match up was a wash, the Cavs were always going to lose. However, if you still decide you want to keep LeBron on KD anyway and he is tired at the end of games, slow the tempo a bit. Stop running with the Dubs! Try something different for God's sake.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Anyone listened to the latest Bill Simmons Podcast with Kevin Durant?

Durant thinks Kyrie is better than Iverson ever was. What you guys think? Iverson was one of my favourite players growing up but it seems over the last few years there has been a crop of Point Guards who are or close to achieving his level.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Durant thinks Kyrie is better than Iverson ever was. What you guys think? Iverson was one of my favourite players growing up but it seems over the last few years there has been a crop of Point Guards who are or close to achieving his level.
When Kyrie single handedly takes his team to the NBA finals, we can have this conversation. AI is definitely better and he did so much more for his team. He had more assists, more steals, was scoring champion 4 times if Im not mistaken. Dont think Kyrie will ever be scoring champion.

Zen

And yet, by his third season, AI led the Phillies to the playoffs...AND won a series. It kinda goes different ways at that point as Kyrie was gifted LeBron and Allen Iverson not quite so....Iverson will always have his percentage held against him, but when you were playing shooting guard, your teams main asset and like 6 inches smaller than most guarding you, good luck with that one.

It wasn't so horrendous when he was at the Nuggets and Anthony gave him more space. Iverson was nuts though, he legit never sat. Genuine character and completely different to anything before him....if he were a few inches taller, he probably would of had insane(r) numbers year after year, because he just would of done everything. But unfortunately being like 6ft limits stuff.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I agree with the other posters. I think KD is just in awe of Kyrie's abilities as a player, and fair enough... but AI did more with less.

It was hilarious hearing him trying to justify "the hardest road" nonsense he spouted last year.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I like Simmons, but he's being completely hypocritical by fawning over Durant when he crucified Lebron for LeDecision.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
And yet, by his third season, AI led the Phillies to the playoffs...AND won a series. It kinda goes different ways at that point as Kyrie was gifted LeBron and Allen Iverson not quite so....Iverson will always have his percentage held against him, but when you were playing shooting guard, your teams main asset and like 6 inches smaller than most guarding you, good luck with that one.

It wasn't so horrendous when he was at the Nuggets and Anthony gave him more space. Iverson was nuts though, he legit never sat. Genuine character and completely different to anything before him....if he were a few inches taller, he probably would of had insane(r) numbers year after year, because he just would of done everything. But unfortunately being like 6ft limits stuff.
And shooting percentages of that era were generally lower than they are now. It was a completely different NBA.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I like Simmons, but he's being completely hypocritical by fawning over Durant when he crucified Lebron for LeDecision.
Only way Simmons could get KD in for an interview probably. KD doesn't seem ready to hear the same rhetoric he and Simmons heaped on LeBron back then.

AR87

Have any of you guys been able to watch Ntilikina extensively? I've watched him twice so far and yet to see what the hype is about.

And shooting percentages of that era were generally lower than they are now. It was a completely different NBA.
Iverson's value can't be captured in a box score. He changed the game and influenced so many of the league's current scoring guards. On the floor he played in a far more physical era, carried an awful offensive team entirely on his own to the Finals and was an absolute warrior. Kyrie's a great scorer, but without Lebron he's just a guy getting his own numbers while his team loses a lot.

AR87

Is he? Nobody's really arguing that Iverson is even one of the top 25 greatest players of all time, but he certainly accomplished more on his own than Kyrie and he never got to play alongside another elite talent until far too late in his career and that was with a young Melo in Denver.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
How do you rate him in comparison to Westbrook? I feel like your views on both are quite similar.
Westbrook is the superior player. Better passer, better rebounder and more athletically gifted (and bigger) which allows him to be a better defender than Iverson. Westbrook's problem on defense is that he gambles too much for steals and ends up out of position too often. Very similar to Kobe post 07 or 08. Both have the skills to be great defenders. Kobe was able to focus enough early in his career that he was a great defender for several years. Westbrook might never get there but he is still a superior defender than Iverson.

If you look at Iverson's prime, which I would say runs from 99-06, he played next to Eric Snow from 99-04. Snow guarded the other team's best offensive guard, was a capable ballhandler and had no problem deferring to Iverson whenever he wanted. Philadelphia finished 6th, 5th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 11th, 7th, and 9th in those years. Only twice did they have home court advantage in the first round and only once were they an actual contender.

Even in the year they made the finals, they went to 7 against the Raptors and 7 against the Bucks. Newer fans on the caf might not remember but they were a couple of inches on a Vince Carter shot from being knocked out in the second round at home on a game where Iverson shot 8 for 27.

So much of Iverson's legacy is that he supposedly dragged a bad team to the finals. But let's pause for a second. Look at this screenshot. Iverson is in the bottom right corner. Carter is on the top of the screen. Iverson has no impact on this play. If it goes on, Iverson is the bum who shot 29% at home to lose game 7.

It happened to go in and the 76s barely outlasted Milwaukee and he stepped over Tyron Lue and blah blah blah. But none of that changes the player who he was. This is why I try not to care too much about one result. Even in football, people always talk about whether a manager should be sacked or not based on if they win a cup final or whatever. People don't understand variance and they build narratives around which way things happen to go. Let's focus on the player Iverson was:

• A gifted passer but one who was more interested in shooting
  • A defender with quick hands and not a whole lot else
  • A bad free throw shooter
  • A slightly below average three point shooter
  • Not a great finisher at the rim

In his prime he shot 41%, turned the ball over 4 times per game and provided no defensive value and played on one single good team. And yet people thought of him as a superstar or a hall of fame player. With a coach and a team built around him, he could have averaged 20 points per game at decent efficiency and helped his teams a lot more. Instead he is the posterchild for the selfish chucker basketball of the early 2000s.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Kyrie is better than AI because the game has evolved. If AI was born in 1992, he'd be a top 5 player in the league at worst

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Did not expect that. I can't imagine any players being involved, just picks.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
In his prime he shot 41%, turned the ball over 4 times per game and provided no defensive value and played on one single good team. And yet people thought of him as a superstar or a hall of fame player. With a coach and a team built around him, he could have averaged 20 points per game at decent efficiency and helped his teams a lot more. Instead he is the posterchild for the selfish chucker basketball of the early 2000s.
The modern NBA shows they did not build well around him at all. No guard in the league could stay in front of him, like you say he was a talented passer but, he spent his prime coming off screens. Because the NBA Iverson entered was still obsessed with "pass first PGs" Iverson was moved off the ball because he "shot too much" while scoring PGs of today are given the green light. Iverson in 05-06 and 07-08 shows how effective he could be playing as a PG. And his best teammate in his 76ers prime was a season and a half of Dikembe Mutombo. They did not have a lot of offensive talent but, Iverson usually had them around league average in terms of offense.

Neutral

BTV
Terrible deal for the sixers IMO. We suck as an organization
Why? You guys did the whole stockpile draft picks thing...you have two potential studs (both injured atm).

Get someone like Fultz - NBA ready and will contribute straight away.

Get thing 'process' moving...enough kicking the can down the road

NM

It probably the unprotected Lakers pick that they would trade.
Still a bad deal imo

Is it confirmed?
Not yet

Why? You guys did the whole stockpile draft picks thing...you have two potential studs (both injured atm).

Get someone like Fultz - NBA ready and will contribute straight away.

Get thing 'process' moving...enough kicking the can down the road
I'd rather have the number 3 and two top picks in the next draft then just the number 1 and 1 pick in the next draft, that may not be very valuable.

Both Simmons and Embiid are out of summer league. I think Embiid can be a beast or a crock. If he's a crock the entire process has changed

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Someone mentioned on ESPN that the Sixers want Jackson and are willing to move up to top spot the get him.
You believe that BS Screamin' A spews from his mouth? :lol:
Sixers want Fultz and no one else.

Jackson deleted this post (seems Fultz is making enemies already):

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's a very good deal for Sixers. They need a point guard first and foremost and it has to be someone who can shoot so it rules out Fox. They don't need another small forward (Jackson).

2018 draft is much less talented by the looks of it and it's again forward heavy. There isn't any point guard projected in the top 5 and Lakers pick might not even be top 5 when they don't have a reason to tank at which point it becomes Kings 2019 pick and feck knows what Kings become in 2019.

That's why they accumulated all these assets, to be able to flip them for something of value like they are doing now. Fultz is what they badly need.

It's also a good trade for Boston. They are willing to invest in IT so Fultz is not needed that much and they can do with a high potential forward like Jackson or Tatum, plus another top 10 pick next year which they will probably try to include in a package for a player anyway.

Last edited: