NBA 2016-17

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I wouldn't be willing to trade anything for Paul George. Why would I pay extra for something now when I have no real need for it when I could get it for less at a time when it can be useful ?
Because in the latter case "getting" it doesn't depend on you but on other factors. Right now they're in favor of Lakers but a year can change a lot. It's been discussed above. It's not unimaginable that George changes his mind if he really likes his "interim" team and what it could give him.

It's a risk. I'd take it as well, if it was up to me, but still.

Chip

If Gilbert knows Lebron is leaving 2018 he might feck-up the team for 2017 just to spite him. Really think this can't be ruled out.
Why would he do that? :lol:
If LeBron leaves in a year, this is probably gonna be the Cavs' last chance to get a championship for a very long time. Why would Gilbert want to mess up that chance just to piss off LeBron? Surely, he would rather have a championship ring. And why would they be chasing PG13 and Jimmy Butler? To feck up the team?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why would he do that? :lol:
If LeBron leaves in a year, this is probably gonna be the Cavs' last chance to get a championship for a very long time. Why would Gilbert want to mess up that chance just to piss off LeBron? Surely, he would rather have a championship ring. And why would they be chasing PG13 and Jimmy Butler? To feck up the team?
I didn't say that's what is happening, I said it can't be ruled out because the guy transcends common sense.

Kearnkoff69

We may be many things, but Philly is NOT a small market. We are the 5th or 6th biggest city in the country FFS, and have all the major sports team. Our suburbs extend to 3 states... Not too many markets can boast that.

End Pro Philly rant
Ahaha I meant no offense! I have relatives in Phillly and it's really a lovely city, and obviously has in the past been an NBA powerhouse. I merely meant to emphasize "smaller" market as in, not LA, BOS, NYC or CHI. I also chose the wrong wording, as I was really referring to the "down on their luck" teams with promising young cores, which seem to have ended up in cities that are (for varying reasons) not generally featured in nationally televised games.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Interesting ranking of the top 5 players picked at each draft spot. It uses win shares as the measure in an attempt to make it less subjective so take it for what it is. Being on a better over all team can give you a higher ranking. Younger players can get left off because they have not played long enough.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19657372/the-best-picks-every-nba-draft-slot

take it for what it is,a list generated using a specific criteria that the author decided to use. It is just one way to look at things.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I wouldn't be willing to trade anything for Paul George. Why would I pay extra for something now when I have no real need for it when I could get it for less at a time when it can be useful ?
This was all before the Pacers started shopping PG13 around with Cavs as their favored trade partner. Once Cleveland fired DG and they turned their atttention to Butler, the writing was on the wall that PG13 would only entertain the thought of playing in p&g. Now looking more like JC & #28, is as far as Lakers are willing to go.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Pacers are not going to absorb Deng's contract, not a chance. #28, Clarkson and Nance Jr is probably mildly interesting, if you are looking to acquire Marcus Smart or Maurice Harkless. Not Paul George.

He'll probably play out the season in Indiana or move somewhere for 1-year rental. I actually won't be surprised if he remains with the team he moves to now, though. What about Clippers? They could probably give Indiana a half-decent package and they are also in Los Angeles so he could stay.
Clippers? What would they have to offer to interest Indiana? Austin Rivers? Just because there are two teams in LA doesn't mean either one will do. PG13's agent, Aaron Mintz, also represents DLo and Randle which is partly why he doesn't want any of the young pieces to be traded to get him there. Leading the Lakers back to the playoffs with young talent (re: undervalued contracts) and Magic signing another max player or two--that's what entices PG to join the Lakers in '18

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Wow, so before Griffin was fired he was gonna trade Love for the 4th pick (Suns). Gilbert...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Clippers? What would they have to offer to interest Indiana? Austin Rivers? Just because there are two teams in LA doesn't mean either one will do. PG13's agent, Aaron Mintz, also represents DLo and Randle which is partly why he doesn't want any of the young pieces to be traded to get him there. Leading the Lakers back to the playoffs with young talent (re: undervalued contracts) and Magic signing another max player or two--that's what entices PG to join the Lakers in '18
I don't know, they can sign and trade Blake Griffin, right? That's still better than nothing.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This was all before the Pacers started shopping PG13 around with Cavs as their favored trade partner. Once Cleveland fired DG and they turned their attention to Butler, the writing was on the wall that PG13 would only entertain the thought of playing in p&g. Now looking more like JC & #28, is as far as Lakers are willing to go.
Boston need to nip this in the bud or they are going to fall further behind Cleveland than ever. If they can package a deal for Jimmy Butler and pick up Gordon Hayward in free agency, this could be a legitimate challenge to the Cavs in the East. In addition, if LeBron does decide to skip town and go west then the Eastern Conference could easily be theirs for the taking for the next few years.

Sarni

Also, one thing about the whole one-year rental for George debacle - if they traded Kevin Love for him, they are trading two years of Love for one year of George anyway. I think it's not that bad a deal. There's no guarantee Love will extend there either, or that they will want to extend him at all.

Sarni

Boston need to nip this in the bud or they are going to fall further behind Cleveland than ever. If they can package a deal for Jimmy Butler and pick up Gordon Hayward in free agency, this could be a legitimate challenge to the Cavs in the East. In addition, if LeBron does decide to skip town and go west then the Eastern Conference could easily be theirs for the taking for the next few years.
IMO if they then snap a good center who can rebound and defend (Drummond?) they'd be golden. Thomas/Butler/Hayward/Horford/Drummond would be a nightmare to handle. That's impossible financially though, I guess, they'd have to let Horford go. They have so many future assets that they could pull off something special though.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Hard to understand what Gilbert was/is playing at. Senseless decision. Although he may feel that he has a title, so nothing else matters now.
Cavs have consistently been one of the worst run organizations in the NBA but, the lucked out on LeBron twice.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Hard to understand what Gilbert was/is playing at. Senseless decision. Although he may feel that he has a title, so nothing else matters now.
If true, that is a strange development. I'm pretty certain that he probably was looking to acquire that pick as a potential trade piece; makes little sense for Cavs to actually draft a player for their own use.

Kearnkoff69

It's strange timing, I'll say that. If the Cavs bring in Chauncey Billips though which is heavily rumoured, he is big on bringing Melo in so if that is on the table Lebron will probably stay for a year and see how that goes. If it fails then he will probably go next Summer.
Melo on the Cavs would arguably make them worse. He's a high-usage, iso-heavy guy who's just going to slow down their play even further. I understand that LeBron wants to play with the banana boat crew some day, but if he's serious about making a real run at another title, no way does he get together with his buddies.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
IMO if they then snap a good center who can rebound and defend (Drummond?) they'd be golden. Thomas/Butler/Hayward/Horford/Drummond would be a nightmare to handle. That's impossible financially though, I guess, they'd have to let Horford go. They have so many future assets that they could pull off something special though.
Drummond is not really a great defender. He got all the physical assets but he doesn't read the game well enough and is too undisciplined. After his first couple years most Pistons fans were hoping SVG could turn him into the next Dwight. He seems have done that successfully on offense by giving him wasted possession after wasted possession to let him pretend to be a back to the basket post at low efficiency but the defensive improvements never got close to Howard.

JoaquinJoaquin

If Phil trades Porzingis I'm done with that organisation for a while, as they obviously never ever want to win again.

JoaquinJoaquin

Come on the Lakers bandwagon. Now is the best time to join.
Although I couldn't ever support another team (I've done 20 years of mostly pain as a Knicks fan and I'm used to the worst happening), the Lakers have a good future with Ball (most likely) and possibly George aswell so I can easily see them becoming a league pass team of mine.

Sarni

Lakers are trading Russell and Mozgov for Lopez and no. 27.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Lakers are trading Russell and Mozgov for Lopez and no. 27.
That came out of nowhere. I like it though, makes sense for both parties. And a final confirmation for Ball, if there was any doubt left.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Brook Lopez is not exactly a name to get excited about but we got the Mozgov money off our books now, which opens up cap space of course. I'm still torn between trading for George now or getting him for free after next season - I think I'd rather get him as a FA and not give up any valuable assets.

Disappointed with Russell, I was way more excited about him when we drafted him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Brook Lopez is not exactly a name to get excited about but we got the Mozgov money off our books now, which opens up cap space of course. I'm still torn between trading for George now or getting him for free after next season - I think I'd rather get him as a FA and not give up any valuable assets.

Disappointed with Russell, I was way more excited about him when we drafted him.
I think you'll try now. You've got two 1st round picks to offer now. Package that with Randle and it's worth a shot. It's a shit deal for Pacers but considering the circumstances... who knows.

Also, says a lot about the state of that Mozgov contract that you had to attach Russel to get rid of it. Shambles.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Lakersground is burning to the ground as we speak. A lot of people mad about getting rid of Russell for a salary dump, without getting the big picture.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Read somewhere online that the Lakers may have to make a move for George now versus him going somewhere within the next few months as he could end up in a situation where winning/culture/influence sees him stick around. The reasoning was that the Lakers felt Kevin Love would end up in LA for exactly the reasons George has stated - yet Love was traded to Cleveland and stuck around long-term.

ZDwyr

I really like that trade for Brooklyn. With their Boston trade meaning they are going to be bad for a long time, getting a 21 year-old PG with good potential is a solid decision. Should work into their timeline quite well. Hopefully he can really progress now he has gotten out of L.A.