NBA 2016-17

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Fultz makes a lot more sense with Simmons than someone like Fox. Fultz is a great shooter so he can play off ball more. Overall Fultz is the surest thing in the draft he does not have any major holes in his game right now. Obviously 76ers still have some concerns. Okafor was a dead weight last season, Embiid is a spectacular talent but; his injury issues are beyond concerning, there are questions how Simmons will adapt to the NBA his shooting and defensive ability are major questions, Saric and Simmons may be too similar to play together and might be a disaster together defensively. But, overall I like the move they made. They are finally cashing in some of their chips not just collecting assets. They have decided that Fultz, Simmons and Embiid are their team going forward.

Donut

2018 draft is much less talented by the looks of it and it's again forward heavy. There isn't any point guard projected in the top 5 and Lakers pick might not even be top 5 when they don't have a reason to tank at which point it becomes Kings 2019 pick and feck knows what Kings become in 2019.
Doncic will certainly go top 5. His NBA future might not be as a PG though.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Doncic will certainly go top 5. His NBA future might not be as a PG though.
He's a shooting guard, and also someone Sixers will likely be trying to get with their own pick next year (they keep that one) as I don't think they are anything other than a lottery team in 2016-17 with Fultz and Simmons playing out their first season. It will still be a tankathon.

Thing is, they don't need to tank that much. They have 4 out of 5 positions covered by top class talent. They have three second round picks this year with lots of talented shooting guards who can score projected there. I think Josh Hart and PJ Dozier could be steals.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
:lol:If they wanted Jackson they'd have stayed 3rd.
You believe that BS Screamin' A spews from his mouth? :lol:
Sixers want Fultz and no one else.
It's possible I misheard the context of the chatter on ESPN and it wasn't Smith that I recall.

It may have been that the Celtics preferred Jackson (because of IT) and know they can drop to 3rd and get him while adding some picks, or moving that pick elsewhere. I think the Celtics should shop IT while his peak is high - I don't see him as a guy that can be the main man for a title winner. Maybe if he was a pass-first guy it could work.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
@charlton66

Who is the best player in your team? :)
I just saw this piece on 538. I think it gives you a much better insight into Steph Curry's value to the Dubs versus anything than I could come up with. The quote is from right at the end of the article.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...vin-durant-to-be-this-good/?ex_cid=538twitter

"Part of being good at lots of things is being really good at a couple of things. Curry’s ridiculous shooting opens up the Warriors’ offense. Not only are his shots incredibly efficient, but he also draws so much of his opponents’ attention that he makes his teammates look amazing — and makes his team immensely better. Looking at NBAWowy, which tracks how teams perform with a given player on the court versus on the bench, the Warriors outscored their opponents by 3.1 points per 100 possessions when Durant was playing and Curry was not; that number jumped to 16.1 points per 100 possessions with Curry on the court and Durant on the sidelines.

While Durant may be the story of the season, the Warriors’ dynasty was built and is still being propped up by Curry’s ability to throw the ball into the hoop from great distances. Provided he keeps being able to do that, expect Golden State to keep the game broken."

Last edited:

Sarni

It's possible I misheard the context of the chatter on ESPN and it wasn't Smith that I recall.

It may have been that the Celtics preferred Jackson (because of IT) and know they can drop to 3rd and get him while adding some picks, or moving that pick elsewhere. I think the Celtics should shop IT while his peak is high - I don't see him as a guy that can be the main man for a title winner. Maybe if he was a pass-first guy it could work.
I think Fultz was a great chance for them to get a franchise cornerstone but someone like Jackson or Fox could be equally good next season.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Deal agreed:

- 76ers get No.1 pick this year (Fultz)
- Celtics get No. 3 pick this year (Jackson) + Lakers' 2018 first round pick if it is between No.2 and No.5. Otherwise they get 2019 Kings pick, instead.

Celtics now have something like 7 first round picks in the next three years. I think that's a pretty good deal for both sides.

Last edited:

Neutral

BTV
Deal agreed:

- 76ers get No.1 pick this year (Fultz)
- Celtics get No. 3 pick this year (Jackson) + Lakers' 2018 first round pick if it is between No.2 and No.5. Otherwise they get 2019 Kings pick, instead.

Celtics now have something like 7 first round picks in the next three years. I think that's a pretty good deal for both sides.
8 1st round picks in 3 years :lol:

Ainge knows how to accrue assets, no doubt. But, can he use some of those picks to gran a superstar free agent??

Sarni

They should try to send him away for the best deal possible now. I don't think Lakers are dumb enough to offer #2 overall pick for him this year but they actually might be. Sending him to Cavaliers for Love is the best deal they can make. Makes Cavs more likely to win next year (and maybe they manage to convince him to stay when he sees that with James and Irving he's competing for titles, why leave that for playing with a bunch of youngsters?) and Love is a good piece for Indiana. I don't think anyone bar Lakers and Cavaliers will be offering assets of substantial value as it's likely a one-year rental for anyone but them.

Moby

Dick
It's also a good trade for Boston. They are willing to invest in IT so Fultz is not needed that much and they can do with a high potential forward like Jackson or Tatum, plus another top 10 pick next year which they will probably try to include in a package for a player anyway
I think it's more likely that they'll trade the Sixers pick for someone more ready for competing currently, say Butler. As far as Celtics go, they would prefer current success over building for the future.

Sarni

I think it's more likely that they'll trade the Sixers pick for someone more ready for competing currently, say Butler. As far as Celtics go, they would prefer current success over building for the future.
That is possible. They would have to package it with something though as I don't believe #3 pick alone is enough to get Butler. IMO they could try to combine it with Jae Crowder and one future pick (Memphis 2019?) and get Butler, and then try to convince Hayward to join them in free agency.

ZDwyr

They should try to send him away for the best deal possible now. I don't think Lakers are dumb enough to offer #2 overall pick for him this year but they actually might be. Sending him to Cavaliers for Love is the best deal they can make. Makes Cavs more likely to win next year (and maybe they manage to convince him to stay when he sees that with James and Irving he's competing for titles, why leave that for playing with a bunch of youngsters?) and Love is a good piece for Indiana. I don't think anyone bar Lakers and Cavaliers will be offering assets of substantial value as it's likely a one-year rental for anyone but them.
Is Love that great a piece for the Pacers? If George goes they'd be better of rebuilding I think. Having Love around means they'd still be competitive (but not a real threat - just in the middle going nowhere) in a lot of games and wouldn't be fully committed to the rebuild. Might need to be a third team involved to get a deal done.

Sarni

Is Love that great a piece for the Pacers? If George goes they'd be better of rebuilding I think. Having Love around means they'd still be competitive (but not a real threat - just in the middle going nowhere) in a lot of games and wouldn't be fully committed to the rebuild. Might need to be a third team involved to get a deal done.
Love is better than nothing, for sure. They'd probably be better off with good draft picks but who is going to give them? Cavaliers own no picks that they could trade until something crazy like 2022 and it's the same with Lakers, cannot trade their picks either. Portland were rumored to be interested with 2 or 3 of first round picks this year which doesn't look like a terrible deal now but I think even that will be off the table if George is committed to joining Lakers in 2018.

The best deal for them right now is probably getting Randle, Russell or Ingram from Lakers. Again, I am not sure Lakers will offer even that because they seem confident of landing George in 2018 free agency. It's better to support him with all 4 of their young talent than 3 of them. Fox or Ball, Russell, Ingram, George and Randle is a good core in 3-4 years.

I don't see a team in the top 10 of the draft willing to offer their draft pick to Indiana, not under these circumstances. If his 2018 free agency status was not so certain and there was a chance he'd resign with his new team, then fair enough, Boston would probably offer their pick and so could Phoenix, but it seems like it'll be almost impossible for the new team to get him to sign a deal beyond next season so it only makes sense to sign him if you want to compete NOW. The only team in the league who can compete with Paul George NOW are Cavaliers.

Including third team makes sense here, true. Maybe send Love back to Minnesota, or get him to move to Portland? Indiana would receive #7 and Dieng from Minnesota which is good, Minnesota would get Kevin Love back and Cleveland would get Paul George. Or Portland would send Crabbe, #15 and #26 to Indiana, Cleveland would still get Paul George but Kevin Love would go to Portland. Actually sending Love to another team, who would then offer picks and young players to Indiana makes sense. I'd be all for including Philadelphia in the conversation but they don't actually need Love, maybe Celtics would be tempted to go after Love but at a price that is lower than #3 overall pick?

Indiana receive: Marcus Smart, 2018 Lakers pick/2019 Kings pick
Celtics get: Kevin Love
Cleveland get: Paul George

Then Celtics can flip #3 pick plus Crowder for Butler, and snap Hayward in free agency. Thomas/Butler/Hayward/Love/Horford is ready to compete now.

Moby

Dick
Again, I am not sure Lakers will offer even that because they seem confident of landing George in 2018 free agency.
But since George has announced that he will not re-sign, Pacers would probably look to move him now, and Lakers shouldn't risk waiting for next year if someone else bites Pacers' hand and makes offers for George. As far as I know Indiana have already contacted Cavs to see if they are interested, so Lakers need to be a bit proactive here instead of trying to get him for nothing.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Then Celtics can flip #3 pick plus Crowder for Butler, and snap Hayward in free agency. Thomas/Butler/Hayward/Love/Horford is ready to compete now.
I liked what you were saying but can't see them lining up like that for many games. There is no interior defense there.

Sarni

But since George has announced that he will not re-sign, Pacers would probably look to move him now, and Lakers shouldn't risk waiting for next year if someone else bites Pacers' hand and makes offers for George. As far as I know Indiana have already contacted Cavs to see if they are interested, so Lakers need to be a bit proactive here instead of trying to get him for nothing.
Yes, but offering #2 pick would be overkill. They could maybe try and lure Pacers with one of Russell, Ingram or Randle as I said but not sure that will work.

Moby

Dick
Yes, but offering #2 pick would be overkill. They could maybe try and lure Pacers with one of Russell, Ingram or Randle as I said but not sure that will work.
What works in their favour is that George could just not re-sign with whatever team agrees to get him on a trade now, but that's a bit risky. In that case a team like Cavs could just be losing Love for one year of George. But then if George re-signs with Cavs the Lakers get screwed. :lol:

Ball or George? Hmm.

Sarni

What works in their favour is that George could just not re-sign with whatever team agrees to get him on a trade now, but that's a bit risky. In that case a team like Cavs could just be losing Love for one year of George. But then if George re-signs with Cavs the Lakers get screwed. :lol:

Ball or George? Hmm.
I think for Lakers, there's significant risk that George resigns in Cavaliers. I mean, with Irving and James they are an excellent core and possibly even capable of challenging the Warriors. If he wins championship with Cavs and has the opportunity to sign the same deal he would sign with Lakers, why would he leave a championship team for a struggling franchise?

That's why Indiana called Cleveland first I think, to get Lakers worried.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think for Lakers, there's significant risk that George resigns in Cavaliers. I mean, with Irving and James they are an excellent core and possibly even capable of challenging the Warriors. If he wins championship with Cavs and has the opportunity to sign the same deal he would sign with Lakers, why would he leave a championship team for a struggling franchise?

That's why Indiana called Cleveland first I think, to get Lakers worried.
To be the face of one of the two most storied and succesful franchises in NBA history, and because living in or around LA pisses all over living in Cleveland, I'd guess. He'd be the star of the team in LA whereas he'll always be an understudy to James (and even Irving) in Cleveland. Ball, Russell, Ingram and Randle is an excellent young core and they'll have an additional season under their belt if George only joins the Lakers in '18 through free agency.

Just playing devil's advocate here though, I just really hope he joins us without us giving up too much. Like you said, giving up the #2 pick with this amount of talent available would be ridiculous.

Sarni

To be the face of one of the two most storied and succesful franchises in NBA history, and because living in or around LA pisses all over living in Cleveland, I'd guess. He'd be the star of the team in LA whereas he'll always be an understudy to James (and even Irving) in Cleveland. Ball, Russell, Ingram and Randle is an excellent young core and they'll have an additional season under their belt if George only joins the Lakers in '18 through free agency.

Just playing devil's advocate here though, I just really hope he joins us without us giving up too much. Like you said, giving up the #2 pick with this amount of talent available would be ridiculous.
I can see the reason why you would do that if you thought you had a shot at competing at Lakers, but would he? To be fair, all of the players you mentioned will still be very young in 2018 and probably not yet ready to compete for titles for another 2 yeras. He'd be the fact of huge franchise but also at the time time, it'd still be a franchise that is not ready to compete for titles.

That all goes out the window if they can secure another free agent in 2018, and it's possible that both Cousins and Westbrook will be available. Westbrook will be able to sign for much more with OKC so he probably will, but Cousins could very well end up moving to LA. They should do their best to get rid of Mozgov or Deng in this offseason, attaching the no. 28 overall pick from Houston which they own (Brooklyn?).

Neutral

BTV
The Sixers have a lot of good young talent. I am interested to see how they do this year.
They'll just be praying to the basketball gods that all that young talent can actually get on the court together for a sustained period of time.

They won 28 games last year and that's after finishing the season by losing their last 8. If Embiid and Simmons are healthy add in Saric and Fultz - there is absolutely no reason for that team not to win an extra 10-12 games. All of a sudden you're talking about being .500 - and that means being in contention for the 8th spot!

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Most Lakers fans would be willing to offer Pritchard is #28, Brewer or Clarkson, Nance, and Deng. Not willing to trade any of their young core (Ingram, Randle, Dlo) because of the leverage PG13 has over Indiana.

Kearnkoff69

I'm still processing that Sixers trade, and now the PG trade sweepstakes have already begun. This NBA offseason is doing a good job of making up for a sometimes lackluster regular and post-season. If the Sixers can stay healthy, they could potentially mount a challenge in 3-4 years time. As a neutral with no team, trades like that are heaven. I may have to get League Pass so I can follow these smaller market teams next year (MIN, MIL, PHI in particular).

NM

I'm still processing that Sixers trade, and now the PG trade sweepstakes have already begun. This NBA offseason is doing a good job of making up for a sometimes lackluster regular and post-season. If the Sixers can stay healthy, they could potentially mount a challenge in 3-4 years time. As a neutral with no team, trades like that are heaven. I may have to get League Pass so I can follow these smaller market teams next year (MIN, MIL, PHI in particular).
We may be many things, but Philly is NOT a small market. We are the 5th or 6th biggest city in the country FFS, and have all the major sports team. Our suburbs extend to 3 states... Not too many markets can boast that.

End Pro Philly rant

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Cavs apparently working a multi-team trade to bring in Jimmy Butler.
Wojbomb

“Teams are trying to decide what’s the appropriate cost for a player who they’re being told, pretty adamantly by Paul George’s camp, will be a rental."

"No matter who you are, no matter who has checked in or who potentially will check in, they’re gonna be told that Paul George is gonna play the season out and then he’s gonna go to the Lakers, that that’s his plan.”

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We may be many things, but Philly is NOT a small market. We are the 5th or 6th biggest city in the country FFS, and have all the major sports team. Our suburbs extend to 3 states... Not too many markets can boast that.

End Pro Philly rant
7th biggest metropolitan area in the US. And would be 8th biggest metropolitan area in the NBA because of Toronto.

Sarni

Sarni

Most Lakers fans would be willing to offer Pritchard is #28, Brewer or Clarkson, Nance, and Deng. Not willing to trade any of their young core (Ingram, Randle, Dlo) because of the leverage PG13 has over Indiana.
Pacers are not going to absorb Deng's contract, not a chance. #28, Clarkson and Nance Jr is probably mildly interesting, if you are looking to acquire Marcus Smart or Maurice Harkless. Not Paul George.

He'll probably play out the season in Indiana or move somewhere for 1-year rental. I actually won't be surprised if he remains with the team he moves to now, though. What about Clippers? They could probably give Indiana a half-decent package and they are also in Los Angeles so he could stay.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Pacers are not going to absorb Deng's contract, not a chance. #28, Clarkson and Nance Jr is probably mildly interesting, if you are looking to acquire Marcus Smart or Maurice Harkless. Not Paul George.

He'll probably play out the season in Indiana or move somewhere for 1-year rental. I actually won't be surprised if he remains with the team he moves to now, though. What about Clippers? They could probably give Indiana a half-decent package and they are also in Los Angeles so he could stay.
I'm sure that's what's bothering the Lakers. I can see them making a move now to try and avoid this although I think in an ideal world they'd just let things ride and wait till next year.
Cavs apparently working a multi-team trade to bring in Jimmy Butler.
Right now I'm not even sure the Cavs are in a position to make that move since they have just fired their GM. Supposedly Dan Gilbert is running things in the meantime. Would you really want to deal with Dan? In addition, if I was Jimmy Butler I'd be very nervous about making the move until LeBron has committed to be there beyond next season.

altodevil

Lebron is gonna feck off now I think, perhaps that was why Gilbert fired Griffin.

JoaquinJoaquin

Lebron is gonna feck off now I think, perhaps that was why Gilbert fired Griffin.
It's strange timing, I'll say that. If the Cavs bring in Chauncey Billips though which is heavily rumoured, he is big on bringing Melo in so if that is on the table Lebron will probably stay for a year and see how that goes. If it fails then he will probably go next Summer.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Dan Gilbert is just another James Dolan character who happened to have LeBron fall in his lap. In all the time he has owned the Cavs he has never extended a contract of his GM. David Griffin is just one more body in Dan's wake. As to LeBron leaving now I suppose its technically possible to trade him but that is just not going to happen - IMLTHO, he sees out the rest of his contract through next season and then sits down for a long talk with Jerry West.

....and Chris Paul.

altodevil

If Gilbert knows Lebron is leaving 2018 he might feck-up the team for 2017 just to spite him. Really think this can't be ruled out.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I wouldn't be willing to trade anything for Paul George. Why would I pay extra for something now when I have no real need for it when I could get it for less at a time when it can be useful ?