NBA 2021-2022

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yesssss and i'm here for it. 7 games underwater for them :drool: Honestly, all 4 teams left play ridiculous defence, but those 2 are just so fluid and can do so many things...

They did not. I mean, he could have done that if they needed it :lol:

Yes and no. I mean, obviously to be this bad, sure. But the mavs D flattened them in 4 of the last 5 games. Think game 5 was the real aberration at this point

Jimmy, Tatum, Steph...

But, yes. He is

Kidd made adjustements after the first 2 games, more traps and hedge & recover to stop the suns from hunting Luka and it worked. Monty had no answer to that. And on the other hand, they never had an answer to Doncic. At all. The moment Brunson and the others joined the series, they were cooked. Mavs just answered the Suns hunting Luka by going at CP3 and turned him into dog food. Suns again never really found any adjustement. This Mavs offence is really a problem i think, if Brunson and even Dimwiddie play well i'm not even sure there is anything you can do. Switch and they will hunt for the best matchup and kill you. Don't switch and they kill you with P&R. They're a great 3P shooting team...I mean...besides hoping they go cold from distance or Brunson/Dimwiddie play badly, what else can you do exactly...
They're saying Draymond can do a better job against Luka than any of the Suns defenders (though that included DPOY candidate Bridges). But what is stopping Luka from hunting someone like Steph on the pick and role like he was doing with Paul?

Will be an interesting series, I'm still picking the experience of GSW though they have been really up and down this post season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They're saying Draymond can do a better job against Luka than any of the Suns defenders (though that included DPOY candidate Bridges). But what is stopping Luka from hunting someone like Steph on the pick and role like he was doing with Paul?

Will be an interesting series, I'm still picking the experience of GSW though they have been really up and down this post season.
Doncic is probably the best offensive player in the league currently. I don't think anyone can stop him, it's more about stopping the rest of the team.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Delighted everyone's little favorite got massacred.

Revan

Assumptionman
Phoenix was historically shit last night. Scoring fewer than 30 points in the first half is all-time shit.

I think that Celtics and Warriors are gonna make the final.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Suns v Mavs is the first series I remember where it went to 7 and not even a single game in the series was remotely competitive. :lol: It was just blowouts in every single one of them.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

It doesn't matter. The key is to let Luka get his and just ice out the rest of his teammates. The more you get Luka to work on offense, the worse off the Mavs will be in the 4th when he's tired and the rest of the Mavs can't buy a shot because they've not got any rhythm going the whole game. Suns lost every single time they allowed Luka to get his teammates going.

It's infuriating that they just went away with what worked for God knows what reason.

massi83

There is absolutely no way GS is 37% to win the title. Time to bet huge against them.

Revan

Assumptionman
Both 538 models seem close to each other. The order of favorites is Celtics, Mavs, Heat and Warriors, with Celtics having roughly 1/2 chance of winning it, while Warriors having 9% in one model and 14% in another.

Saying that, I think that Dubs will defeat Mavs, but I cannot see them winning against either Celtics of Heat.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
There is absolutely no way GS is 37% to win the title. Time to bet huge against them.
I agree whole heartedly with this. In fact the latest odds that I saw put their chances of winning even higher. With the up and down season they've been having there's no way their odds should be at these kind of levels. They're like the proverbial box of chocolates. On any given night "you never know what you're going to get."

Interesting comparison of bookies vs stats though.. Bookies have Dubs favorites at +120, and stats (538) have them with only a 9% chance of winning.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say their chances are somewhere in between. ;)

massi83

Both 538 models seem close to each other. The order of favorites is Celtics, Mavs, Heat and Warriors, with Celtics having roughly 1/2 chance of winning it, while Warriors having 9% in one model and 14% in another.

Saying that, I think that Dubs will defeat Mavs, but I cannot see them winning against either Celtics of Heat.
538 is absolutely terrible when it comes to sports. Better ignore it completely.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Dubs are the favorites imho: they can rely upon proven winners still in their prime and are hot enough to win 8 games just through controlled gamesmanship and fast scoring outbursts. Models are quite good and seven games are generally enough to have the best team prevail… yet timely or purpotedly smartness and the ability to rise on the occasion are not factorable attributes yet, which the Dubs have aplenty (and Miami a not too distant second).

Revan

Assumptionman
Dubs are the favorites imho: they can rely upon proven winners still in their prime and are hot enough to win 8 games just through controlled gamesmanship and fast scoring outbursts. Models are quite good and seven games are generally enough to have the best team prevail… yet timely or purpotedly smartness and the ability to rise on the occasion are not factorable attributes yet, which the Dubs have aplenty (and Miami a not too distant second).
I just think that Celtics (and also Heat) have such incredible defenses, that they will stop Steph and co. I also do not rate that highly Dubs offensively with Klay having problems, Steph not necessarily playing that great (and to be fair, he always struggles in the final) and Poole being completely inexperienced at this stage.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Doncic is probably the best offensive player in the league currently. I don't think anyone can stop him, it's more about stopping the rest of the team.
Not really. Doncic is without a, doubt the best offensive player in the league, and the mavs offence can't really be stopped. You just have to hope they shoot badly, or Brunson has a bad game.

The key to beating them is by being even better on offence
It doesn't matter. The key is to let Luka get his and just ice out the rest of his teammates. The more you get Luka to work on offense, the worse off the Mavs will be in the 4th when he's tired and the rest of the Mavs can't buy a shot because they've not got any rhythm going the whole game. Suns lost every single time they allowed Luka to get his teammates going.

It's infuriating that they just went away with what worked for God knows what reason.
It did not work actually. Mavs posted 121.4, 115.3 ORt games 1 and 2. You won those games by demolishing them at the other end of the court. As i said, game 5 was the real aberration in this series. The moment CP3 became a ghost you were finished

You beat this Mavs team based on what you do on offence

JPRouve

Scout
Not really. Doncic is without a, doubt the best offensive player in the league, and the mavs offence can't really be stopped. You just have to hope they shoot badly, or Brunson has a bad game.

The key to beating them is by being even better on offence
We are in agreement and you try to disagree. :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Did KD, Giannis, Steph, LeBron et al die?

I mean, Doncic is averaging 31.5points (from 24.4 shots per game) and 6.6 assists in this playoffs. Which is slightly lower than Giannis for example in both stats, whom also takes slightly fewer shots,

I know that Luka is great and I am a big fan of it, and there might even be a case that he is the best offensive player in the league, but 'without a doubt the best offensive player in the league when you have Giannis (and KD/Steph)' might be a bit premature.

JPRouve

Scout

I know that you Pat Bev haters won't like it but :lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I mean, Doncic is averaging 31.5points (from 24.4 shots per game) and 6.6 assists in this playoffs. Which is slightly lower than Giannis for example in both stats, whom also takes slightly fewer shots,

I know that Luka is great and I am a big fan of it, and there might even be a case that he is the best offensive player in the league, but 'without a doubt the best offensive player in the league when you have Giannis (and KD/Steph)' might be a bit premature.
Giannis is not as good as him on the offense, he's obviously miles better defensively though, and still insanely good offensively still. LeBron is also not at the same level offensively anymore.

KD after this years playoffs should not be mentioned here.

JPRouve

Scout
To me it's beyond stats. I essentially have Jokic, Doncic and then KD as the best offensive players because they can create and score almost at will. They do what they want and they have the ability to do more things than everyone else.

Revan

Assumptionman
Giannis is not as good as him on the offense, he's obviously miles better defensively though, and still insanely good offensively still. LeBron is also not at the same level offensively anymore.

KD after this years playoffs should not be mentioned here.
I think that is premature. He still averaged above 26 points and 6 assists per match, with Boston essentially doubling/tripling him any time he had the ball, and essentially leaving other nets players free just so they can make it difficult for KD to get the ball. Nevertheless, he failed by his usual standards and I think it is the first time ever that a team essentially locked him.

Giannis does not play pretty, but he still averages you 30+ points and 6+ assists in a very high-efficiency rate, which is more or less the same as Luka. At the end, points count the same be it a dribble with a jump shot or an easy dunk cause of Giannis' strength and length.

Luka vs Giannis might be the new Durant vs LeBron though. One plays far prettier than another, but at the same time, the other is the better player in both defense and attack.

Revan

Assumptionman
To me it's beyond stats. I essentially have Jokic, Doncic and then KD as the best offensive players because they can create and score almost at will. They do what they want and they have the ability to do more things than everyone else.
But the same can be said for Giannis. Sure, Luka and KD can dribble better and score from anywhere, but Giannis can also get the ball and just muscle his way through a barrage of defenders, in the process dunking and getting a free throw (which he will probably miss).

JPRouve

Scout
But the same can be said for Giannis. Sure, Luka and KD can dribble better and score from anywhere, but Giannis can also get the ball and just muscle his way through a barrage of defenders, in the process dunking and getting a free throw (which he will probably miss).
The same can't be said because he isn't as good as the primary ball handler or as a shooter and he isn't as good in half court offense. But if you want to make the case that his other attributes put him up there, fair enough.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
If we're talking about which individual is the best offensive player in the league then currently I'd go with Luka. If we're talking about which individual improves a team's offense the most as a whole then I'd go with Steph.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
The same can't be said because he isn't as good as the primary ball handler or as a shooter and he isn't as good in half court offense. But if you want to make the case that his other attributes put him up there, fair enough.
I know that he isn't, but he can still score at will and there is not much that can be done to stop him. The Celtics have the best defense in the league, and he still scored over 200 points and made over 50 assists on them.

My point is that he is very different from other top scorers, but that does not necessarily make him worse than them at attack. Just different.

A bit like it could have been argued that Shaq was the best attacking force in the league despite that there were incredible scorers who dribbled, passed, and shot better than him (Kobe, Iverson, McGrady).

JPRouve

Scout
I know that he isn't, but he can still score at will and there is not much that can be done to stop him. The Celtics have the best defense in the league, and he still scored over 200 points and made over 50 assists on them.

My point is that he is very different from other top scorers, but that does not necessarily make him worse than them at attack. Just different.

A bit like it could have been argued that Shaq was the best attacking force in the league despite that there were incredible scorers who dribbled, passed, and shot better than him (Kobe, Iverson, McGrady).
Doncic is better because while being the primary and extremely ball dominant playmaker on his team, the rest of the team can score at will during playoffs againtst top opponents. The same can't be said about Giannis who is able to score at will but his team can't, they end up relying a lot more on defense.

I have Giannis as the better player overall but not as good offensively.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's been a better offensive player than Giannis since his second season in the league. KD, LeBron and Steph used to be better than him, but I don't think they are right now. He's LeBron 2.0 on offence. He's just a greater force right now than LeBron, he's actually harder to stop than KD because of his vision and playmaking, and Steph's not shooting that well i don't think?

It's close, but I really don't there's an argument for anyone other than Doncic right now

Giannis is individually just as unstoppable but i don't think he makes the entire offence unstoppable the way Doncic does

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be clear, Giannis is the best player in the world. He's in his own stratosphere right now. There's no one at his level

Celtics-Bucks had zero business going 7. It did, because Giannis

chris123

To be clear, Giannis is the best player in the world. He's in his own stratosphere right now. There's no one at his level

Celtics-Bucks had zero business going 7. It did, because Giannis
Yep. Although lets see how far the Mavs go, because Luka carrying THIS team to the finals would be equally impressive, IMO. Has a real early-Cavs Lebron vibe to it.

JPRouve

Scout
I will regret it next season but seeing Pat Bev kick the Suns while they are down is hilarious particularly when it goes against everything ESPN has been selling all year long. :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
He's been so funny in all these segments. Little to no filter, I love it. He called Chris Paul a cone on defence :lol:
His hate for Chris Paul knows no bounds and all of that is because he doesn't like the fact that Chris Paul is treated differently by the refs and media. :lol:

He has great chemistry with JJ two, the point they made about the Suns only being a regular season team and having a poor shooting map was spot on too, it explains why they have struggled during the previous rounds.

Charlie Foley

Pat Bev slamming Chris Paul :lol: The cone comment was brutal! I like what he said about being treated differently…CP3 can feck off

JPRouve

Scout
ESPN have used him on all their shows and his pettiness never faltered. CP3 has to take his revenge. :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Pat Bev slamming Chris Paul :lol: The cone comment was brutal! I like what he said about being treated differently…CP3 can feck off

Chris Paul is a really good basketball player but he's a snidey little fecker and I'm glad he lost.