NBA 2021-2022

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München

I know that you Pat Bev haters won't like it but :lol:
I actually like Pat Bev the person and pundit. I just hate the player.
I actually watched some of these talking head shows today and I loved how Bev told them they have no idea what they're talking about in like a dozen different ways.

He's also right with a lot of what he's saying. If you take away all the sneaky fouls he doesnt get called for, CP is a pretty bad defender these days, which is understandable, dude's small and ancient.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I will regret it next season but seeing Pat Bev kick the Suns while they are down is hilarious particularly when it goes against everything ESPN has been selling all year long. :lol:
It was highly amusing and then Matt Barnes comes along moaning about Pat Bev "disrespecting" CP3 and how he needs to keep his mouth shut because he's just a role player and Chris Paul is a HOFer. Somebody ought to tell Barnes that punditry is supposed to be entertaining and Pat Bev is entertaining as all hell. They also need to tell Barnes to mind his own business and shut the feck up.

SinNombre

Booker has especially struggled against trap and hedges in ball screens, generating 0.81 PPP (points per possession) on direct plays. Among 41 players that have been hedged/blitzed on 100 picks, that ranks 38th. Only Dejounte Murray (0.8) and Jordan Poole (0.76) are lower on the board.

Not sure how he is going to escape this going forward, and he doesn’t seem to be someone who will put the effort to get better.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This was hilarious

That is funny, but it's also why he's so popular 'cause he doesn't take himself too seriously.

I especially liked the response from Raymond Ridder when he says to the guy asking the question "that's not quite what I emailed you (to ask) but it's close."

Charlie Foley

Chris Paul is a really good basketball player but he's a snidey little fecker and I'm glad he lost.
Agreed. Good enough to have won a chip, but considering the type of person he is I find it really odd that people who don’t support the team he’s playing for would root for him to do so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In their collective attempts to silence Pat Bev many people are making the mistakes of claiming that he shouldn't talk because he hasn't won anything. It's a pretty bad precedent to set, particularly when many of the current better coaches won nothing as players or weren't even starters in the NBA.

Agreed. Good enough to have won a chip, but considering the type of person he is I find it really odd that people who don’t support the team he’s playing for would root for him to do so.
It is paradoxal because he is as dirty as it gets. I like the player including his unethical sides but he shouldn't be untouchable.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I actually like Pat Bev the person and pundit. I just hate the player.
I actually watched some of these talking head shows today and I loved how Bev told them they have no idea what they're talking about in like a dozen different ways.

He's also right with a lot of what he's saying. If you take away all the sneaky fouls he doesnt get called for, CP is a pretty bad defender these days, which is understandable, dude's small and ancient.
Pat Bev would know, he's made a career out of getting away with it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pat Bev would know, he's made a career out of getting away with it
He doesn't really get away with it, he is widely disliked due to the way he plays. Paul is still untouchable and we are currently seeing it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Brilliant breakdown of why the Mavs were able to turn the series vs. the Suns around. Some key points:

1. Booker is not a good playmaker - the Mavs took advantage of his limited vision and passing ability in order to double team while leaving wide open corner 3s available on the other side of the floor. Also Booker was too limited to pass backwards out of pick and roll hedges to potentially take advantage of a weakside 2v1.

2. Bullock's defense on CP3 was key. Picking him up and harassing him made him far more fatigued - this could be why the Mavs were never concerned about CP3 off-ball because he never really moved or did anything to attack closeouts.

3. Ayton is a really limited post passer. He's a decent scorer from the post but he can't create shots from there at all, even against mismatches. Big concern as to whether he can function in a modern offense.

4. Suns never adjusted all series. All these factors were there from game 3 onward but the Suns didn't do anything to tweak their scheme - possibly due to arrogance? Game 7 was obviously an anomaly but at the same time these problems had been building for Phoenix and it's damning that Monty didn't do anything to address them.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Strange to me we are at this again with Doncic (and Jokic as well), sort of generalised bias to downplay their talents? I mean, both are extremely cultured as basketball players because of their Balkans heritage, not just plain hoopers. They are not as physically explosive as some top caliber oppos, yet their ability with and without the ball is unparalleled. Doncic is the most similar player to Larry Bird, and Jokic is even more spectacular as a pure center with the hands and the IQ of a point guard.

Charlie Foley

Brilliant breakdown of why the Mavs were able to turn the series vs. the Suns around. Some key points:

1. Booker is not a good playmaker - the Mavs took advantage of his limited vision and passing ability in order to double team while leaving wide open corner 3s available on the other side of the floor. Also Booker was too limited to pass backwards out of pick and roll hedges to potentially take advantage of a weakside 2v1.

2. Bullock's defense on CP3 was key. Picking him up and harassing him made him far more fatigued - this could be why the Mavs were never concerned about CP3 off-ball because he never really moved or did anything to attack closeouts.

3. Ayton is a really limited post passer. He's a decent scorer from the post but he can't create shots from there at all, even against mismatches. Big concern as to whether he can function in a modern offense.

4. Suns never adjusted all series. All these factors were there from game 3 onward but the Suns didn't do anything to tweak their scheme - possibly due to arrogance? Game 7 was obviously an anomaly but at the same time these problems had been building for Phoenix and it's damning that Monty didn't do anything to address them.
My new favourite channel on YouTube

R'hllor

So was checking some stuff around NBA and somehow stumbled on Suns "we need some dogs" pre game routine, anyone else saw it? After watching it was stunlocked in WTF moment for 10 min, hope they didnt do that shit in pre game 7.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So was checking some stuff around NBA and somehow stumbled on Suns "we need some dogs" pre game routine, anyone else saw it? After watching it was stunlocked in WTF moment for 10 min, hope they didnt do that shit in pre game 7.
???

Heat vs Cs the defensive slugfest we expected :drool: :drool: :drool:

Heat D just demolished the Cs in this quarter

AussieDevil

OKC are going to have a really nice future. Giddey looks class and Shai would fit with any team. Now they have the 2nd pick and possibly can draft Jabari Smith who reminds me of Tatum.

But I’m so sure they will draft Chet if he is on the board, they always go for upside and Presti doesn’t mind taking a swing on a player who doesn’t fit the typical player stereotype.

edcunited1878

What do you guys think about an in-season tournament from the NBA. Pretty much a domestic cup competition similar to League Cup (not so much all inclusive FA Cup)?

NBA might stay with a 72 to 76 game regular season, but have additional games from the tournament. I wouldn't mind it, but it is a pure grab for the Association with the image that it is an opportunity for a team who probably won't make the playoffs have a chance at winning a trophy. But the only trophy of meaning is the LOB Trophy, i.e. NBA Championship.

AussieDevil

Not sure how he is going to escape this going forward, and he doesn’t seem to be someone who will put the effort to get better.
That’s not true mate, Booker has improved a lot since he has come into the league. He has improved his playmaking and defence tenfold. The issue is we don’t have anyone other than CP3 and Booker who can create their own shot, and when CP3 is averaging as many turnovers as he is assists, as well as barely scoring, it allowed the Mavs to collapse their defense infront of Booker basically every possession.

Let’s not forget this is his second time in the playoffs, it’s on him now to use this experience to develop into a true superstar. Every elite player in the game has had their struggles before they reached the pinnacle, everyone from Giannis and LeBron to players like Butler and Curry. And with the new wave of stars, your Bookers, KAT, Morant, Mitchell etc they’ve all had struggles this playoffs.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ok I have to revise my previous opinion: Jimmy Buckets is the best player left in the playoffs :lol:

Like damn :eek::eek::eek:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Booker has especially struggled against trap and hedges in ball screens, generating 0.81 PPP (points per possession) on direct plays. Among 41 players that have been hedged/blitzed on 100 picks, that ranks 38th. Only Dejounte Murray (0.8) and Jordan Poole (0.76) are lower on the board.

He was drafted based off his 3s and expanded his game to being an all rounded offensive player who's not a liability on defense anymore.

Yeah, sure he doesn't put in the effort to improve his game. :houllier:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
7th pick for the blazers. joe cronin please don’t trade frp for grant.
He is going to trade it for something. Hopefully it’s not Grant but they will ‘add a veteran so they can finally win a ring for Dame’.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He is going to trade it for something. Hopefully it’s not Grant but they will ‘add a veteran so they can finally win a ring for Dame’.
I love your sarcasm as far as the Blazers are concerned, it makes me smile. It brings back so many memories of when the Dubs used to do crap like that with their draft picks and trades.

ZDwyr

Dort and 12 for pick 7? Trade 12 for Grant?

Presti loves his picks...but not sure 7 in this draft is worth it.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Winning that 4th quarter isn't on the same level of the first 2 tbh
No of course not, it's like winning the 2nd half of a football match when the other team is too far ahead.

First quarter was what I was hoping to see, Celtics defence was huge that quarter

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Butler is a curious case to me, does he find the regular season too boring ? He just becomes another player in the POs
I think he's gone to another level in these playoffs in particular. Don't think he was ever this good in previous editions, turning into a real superstar this time out.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wouldn’t mind if we trade back to 14,15 and trade one of the picks for grant
Yeah I don’t really know…. 7th pick in this draft is very hit and miss, like in any other. Then again at least if they trade it for some random mediocre 28+ year old I won’t be as bothered as I’d have been if they traded no. 2. I don’t hold much hope for this franchise at this point, as long as we continue building around Dame the ceiling is going to be second round exit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Butler is a curious case to me, does he find the regular season too boring ? He just becomes another player in the POs
He's just one of those guys who really don't care about their numbers. He's actually still amazing in the RS, it's just less visible because he rarely has to take over games

The playoffs are a different beast though and they need him to be a superstar #1 option, so he is

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rockets at 3 is probably the least stressful spot be in :lol:

We'll get whoever is left out Banchero, Chet and Jabari and just try to make it work rather than overthink things and wonder if we made the wrong call if the guy you didn't pick is torching the league (like Mobley last year).