giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anyways, here's the kiss of death:

Heat in 7
Mavs in 6

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Rockets at 3 is probably the least stressful spot be in :lol:

We'll get whoever is left out Banchero, Chet and Jabari and just try to make it work rather than overthink things and wonder if we made the wrong call if the guy you didn't pick is torching the league (like Mobley last year).
Any of them would be a decent fit next to Green anyway, I reckon. I expect Magic to take one of Banchero/Smith, and Thunder to take Holmgren so you will be left with whichever of Banchero/Smith is not taken by Magic. Ivey will go to Kings (and be wasted there) and then it’s a toss between several different players from what I’ve seen. Sharpe, Murray, Griffin, Mathurin, Duran, Davis… you usually end up seeing players move significantly after workouts anyway. Someone will inevitably jump several places.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anyways, here's the kiss of death:

Heat in 7
Mavs in 6
I really, really want Boston to advance since all my other post season bandwagon teams have been knocked out. But my gut says Heat in 7 too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Any of them would be a decent fit next to Green anyway, I reckon. I expect Magic to take one of Banchero/Smith, and Thunder to take Holmgren so you will be left with whichever of Banchero/Smith is not taken by Magic. Ivey will go to Kings (and be wasted there) and then it’s a toss between several different players from what I’ve seen. Sharpe, Murray, Griffin, Mathurin, Duran, Davis… you usually end up seeing players move significantly after workouts anyway. Someone will inevitably jump several places.
Yeah I have preferred Chet for the longest because of his rim protection and perimeter shooting, but I've warmed to Jabari recently. I'd be happy with either of the 3, and since the decision is being made for us by the two teams before us, there's nothing to stress about really.

We also have the Nets' pick at 17, so should be an interesting draft.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Butler is a curious case to me, does he find the regular season too boring ? He just becomes another player in the POs
He is great in iso and half court basketball, so the playoffs suit him perfectly. He dragged the Wolves to the playoffs(with the help of Kat) through individual talent.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Horford out for Covid two hours before the game and who knows if more will need to enter the protocol in the coming days? That’s better than squid game. :houllier: (and yes, Butler is a proper PO beast, also a man on a mission)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He is great in iso and half court basketball, so the playoffs suit him perfectly. He dragged the Wolves to the playoffs(with the help of Kat) through individual talent.
Watching him in the playoffs, it's almost as if everyone else on the court fades into the background and it's really just him you're watching. Don't know how he does, it but he makes you feel like he's out on there on the court by himself.

ZDwyr

I'll get a little crazy with my predictions and say:

Warriors in 5
Heat in 5

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Kind of happy the heat won because I feel like they haven’t been respected at all despite being the 1 seed. I heard multiple preview podcasts talk about how Boston has the best player in the matchup and possibly the second best player as well which I felt was really disrespectful to Jimmy Butler.

As for the West whilst I was happy enough with the Dubs making the western final again but some of the discussion since the Mavs win over Suns has really pissed me off . All I have heard is Luka this Luka that and how the warriors have no one to stop him which is the truth to an extent but I am hoping that it can lit a fire under the warriors

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Celtics and Mavs in 6, even after last night.

Hope Doncic wins it all but wouldn't begrudge Tatum a ring either (never thought I'd say that about a Boston player after the Paul Pierce days).

AussieDevil

I dont think Smith would be a good fit on the Rockets. I'd be looking to add another playmaker to the mix next to Green who looks like he could be an elite scorer in the NBA. Banchero would be the best fit for the team, but Holmgren would be intriguing as well, with both being good playmakers for their positions.

Personally I'd like to see:

1. Magic: Holmgren
2. OKC: Smith
3. Rockets: Banchero
4. Kings: Sharpe
5. Pacers: Ivey

Smith on OKC is the perfect fit, with his biggest deficiencies at the moment being playmaking and ball handling, he would be a nice fit next to Giddey. The surprise would be at pick 4, as I have Sharpe over Ivey purely due to impressive shot creation and added size which might compliment Fox.

AussieDevil

Dort and 12 for pick 7? Trade 12 for Grant?

Presti loves his picks...but not sure 7 in this draft is worth it.
I think Presti is destined to go all in on a trade in the next 12-18 months. I'd be surprised if they add any more draft capital considering they have something like 35 picks over the next 7 years.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Kind of happy the heat won because I feel like they haven’t been respected at all despite being the 1 seed. I heard multiple preview podcasts talk about how Boston has the best player in the matchup and possibly the second best player as well which I felt was really disrespectful to Jimmy Butler.

As for the West whilst I was happy enough with the Dubs making the western final again but some of the discussion since the Mavs win over Suns has really pissed me off . All I have heard is Luka this Luka that and how the warriors have no one to stop him which is the truth to an extent but I am hoping that it can lit a fire under the warriors
I don't know who is going to win the Warriors/Mavs series but just as an FYI: in these playoffs Steph is shooting 45% from the field, Luka 47%, Steph is shooting 36% from 3, Luka 35% and Steph has a TS% of 60.1 with Luka at 58.7. Per 36 minutes, Steph is scoring 29.3, Luka 31.4. In other words, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot in it.

So yes, Luka is great, but Steph is great too.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I dont think Smith would be a good fit on the Rockets. I'd be looking to add another playmaker to the mix next to Green who looks like he could be an elite scorer in the NBA. Banchero would be the best fit for the team, but Holmgren would be intriguing as well, with both being good playmakers for their positions.

Personally I'd like to see:

1. Magic: Holmgren
2. OKC: Smith
3. Rockets: Banchero
4. Kings: Sharpe
5. Pacers: Ivey

Smith on OKC is the perfect fit, with his biggest deficiencies at the moment being playmaking and ball handling, he would be a nice fit next to Giddey. The surprise would be at pick 4, as I have Sharpe over Ivey purely due to impressive shot creation and added size which might compliment Fox.
The problem with Banchero is he doesn't address the biggest need for the Rockets which is defense and rim protection. Chet Holmgren gives you that. Jabari Smith improves the defense in other ways, while Banchero just exacerbates the problem. Offensively he's a explosive star player who can do it all and the best player in the draft.

Holmgren gives you perimeter shooting, can create his own shots and for others, not as good as Banchero but good enough plus a huge impact on defense.

The two things Houston needs a lot of help in is defense and a floor general. It sounds like we're rolling with KPJ at PG again next season to see if he can develop into what we need him to be, which leaves the defense as the biggest need and of the top 3 picks Banchero is by far the weakest there. The good (or bad, depends how you look at it) thing is the choice will be made for us, and whichever of the 3 is left on the board is who we'll take.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Watch Presti trade the pick and make moves to get as many chances at getting #1 overall next year

This seems to be a good class, but next year you get to draft Victor Wembanyama...

SirAnderson

Brilliant breakdown of why the Mavs were able to turn the series vs. the Suns around. Some key points:

1. Booker is not a good playmaker - the Mavs took advantage of his limited vision and passing ability in order to double team while leaving wide open corner 3s available on the other side of the floor. Also Booker was too limited to pass backwards out of pick and roll hedges to potentially take advantage of a weakside 2v1.

2. Bullock's defense on CP3 was key. Picking him up and harassing him made him far more fatigued - this could be why the Mavs were never concerned about CP3 off-ball because he never really moved or did anything to attack closeouts.

3. Ayton is a really limited post passer. He's a decent scorer from the post but he can't create shots from there at all, even against mismatches. Big concern as to whether he can function in a modern offense.

4. Suns never adjusted all series. All these factors were there from game 3 onward but the Suns didn't do anything to tweak their scheme - possibly due to arrogance? Game 7 was obviously an anomaly but at the same time these problems had been building for Phoenix and it's damning that Monty didn't do anything to address them.
That was such a great watch, will be subscribing to it from now, he brilliantly dissected it that series.

Also makes me a bit more confident about the Mavs being able to adjust to the challenge of the Dubs.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Mavs getting zero penetration and making them far too easy to read. Dubs defence has been great and just outworking the mavs all over the court.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Since his prime (unanimous MVP season being the peak) was that high, I don't think it's a controversial claim at all. He still is a great player
I'd say last season was his best season overall, since he's a far better defender now than he was in 2016. However, from a shooting point of view there is no doubt he is having a down year this season.

JPRouve

Scout
Watch Presti trade the pick and make moves to get as many chances at getting #1 overall next year

This seems to be a good class, but next year you get to draft Victor Wembanyama...
I would love it if the Wolves could trade for that pick.

R'hllor

Can anyone tell me, never was that into whole NBA trades what not but is it complicated as it looks on the surface, whole thing around salary cap/tax included?

JPRouve

Scout
Can anyone tell me, never was that into whole NBA trades what not but is it complicated as it looks on the surface, whole thing around salary cap/tax included?
It's way more complicated than it looks on the surface. Outside of draft picks anything involving players contracts is a mess.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dubs basically shut down the inside and dared the mavs to beat them on 3s(though great closeouts. Great team defence in general). Mavs couldn't make a 3 to save their lives

Still, it's only game 1 but already they came in with a much better defensive plan than the suns put together in 7 games

At the other end of the court, mavs struggled to stay in front of everyone, just not a good perfomance at all for them. Dubs ball movement and cutters from everywhere are a problem. Very curious what adjustments Kidd will come up with. On offence, well, just have to score the wide open 3s. Luka should also use the midrange a bit more, several bad turnovers where he had an open shot from the midrange by tried to force his way into a thicket of arms at the rim and got stripped

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah I don’t think that you can judge much by one game tbh and I think there will be at least one game where Mavs will hit a lot of 3’s and it will be a blowout. Next game js huge though because if the Warriors win then I think it’s very hard task to win 4 out of 5 for the Mavs even though they did it against the suns

JPRouve

Scout
None of you probably care but the Wolves are interviewing candidates for the POBO position and despite having the highly respected but young Sachin Gupta, the future owners are according to reports looking to make a big splash and target big fishes. Apparently two of the top candidates are Tim Connelly and Masai Ujiri with Connelly being according to Sham in "serious" talks with the Wolves.

What do you guys think about it? I'm a bit disappointed for Gupta who is still wanted by organization but as a number 2, Connelly and Ujiri looks like genuinely great options but it doesn't feel right and the Wolves could end up with neither, an upset Gupta and a Elton Brand.

R'hllor

It's way more complicated than it looks on the surface. Outside of draft picks anything involving players contracts is a mess.
Well shit then, guess its time to learn about birds with/out wings or one wing, exception this or that etc. Thank you

R'hllor

None of you probably care but the Wolves are interviewing candidates for the POBO position and despite having the highly respected but young Sachin Gupta, the future owners are according to reports looking to make a big splash and target big fishes. Apparently two of the top candidates are Tim Connelly and Masai Ujiri with Connelly being according to Sham in "serious" talks with the Wolves.

What do you guys think about it? I'm a bit disappointed for Gupta who is still wanted by organization but as a number 2, Connelly and Ujiri looks like genuinely great options but it doesn't feel right and the Wolves could end up with neither, an upset Gupta and a Elton Brand.
Denver Nuggets one?

JPRouve

Scout
Would be really surprised if TC accepts it
Outside of Elton Brand all the names surprise me. I do believe that there is potential in the Wolves and Lore is seemingly willing to spend but those are big names.