NBA 2021-2022

Charlie Foley

Another good win. Got in front just before half time and then just pulled away. Steph was Steph and Jordan Poole and Otto Porter chipped in some good numbers, however it was the defense that was notable. It was suffocating the entire game. Holding the Clips to 90 IMLTHO is pretty damn good.

On to Phoenix. Got to admit am worried about this one.
Splitting the series would probably be good for both teams. Two best teams in basketball right now!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Updated RAPTOR top 10 with 390 minutes or more:

+/-
1. Jokic 13.2
2. Giannis 12.1
3. Curry 11.4
4. Derrick Rose 10.0
5. Alex Caruso 7.4
6. Jalen Brunson 7.2
7. John Collins 7.0
8. Patrick Beverley 6.5
9. Gobert 6.1
10. VanFleet 5.9

Offense
1. Curry 9.3
2. Jokic 7.8
3. Young 7.2
4. Giannis 6.3
5. Durant 5.5
6. Brunson 5.2
7. Harrell 5.0
8. LaMelo 4.8
9. Patty Mills 4.6
9. Paul 4.6

Defense
1. Gobert 7.4
2. Rose 6.4
3. Giannis 5.8
4. Caruso 5.4
4. Jokic 5.4
6. Miles Turner 5.3
7. Deni Avjida 4.9
8. Jusef Nurkic 4.5
9. Evan Mobley 4.2
10. Herbert Jones 3.9

ZDwyr

@charlton66 let's say Steph wins one more championship and MVP before he retires: where does he rank in the GOAT debate/lists?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
This obsession with GOAT lists based on accolades in basketball is even more ridiculous than in football.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
@charlton66 let's say Steph wins one more championship and MVP before he retires: where does he rank in the GOAT debate/lists?
If he does so, he'd be aged 34. And reaching maybe a higher level than LeBrown when he last won the championship.

Obviously LeBron was a star much earlier in his career, but why is there so little talk concerning what Curry is doing as a 33 year old?

Just as how little talk there was regarding Nadal/Djokovic at latter ages compared to Federer.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The big knock on Curry over the years has been his defense. However, over the last couple of years as he has bulked up his body he's gone from a good systems defensive player to a pretty good defender in his own right.

As to his position in the all time scheme of things. I currently have him just outside the top ten. With another MVP, another title, a finals MVP and all the intangibles associated with him (changing the game, legacy, shooting records etc..), I can see him getting as high as 6 or7.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It seems most of the pundits are picking the Dubs tonight but I've got to admit I'm no where near as confident. I have a lot more faith in the bookies and they have the Suns as as 2.5 point favorite. They are at home on a 16 game win streak. It's going to be awfully tough for the Warriors to win this one.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you guys make about the Wolves identity completely changing and now rely on strong defense and effort plays? We are a quarter into this season and the offense is only starting to wake up which for me is quite impressive. The other thing is that last night the Wolves were without their two best starting defenders in Beverley and Vanderbilt but it didn't change the identity of the team which would have been the case in the past.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Was checking some NBA news, seems Denver is done and dusted for this season, Murray wont come back any time soon, MPJ is doing back surgery which is probably end of season for him, PJD is better one in 2nd unit, he is also done for this season due knee injury ACL.

Hope to be a great game @charlton66 , think you guys gonna end up their winning streak tonight.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah I am sure a loss on the road to one of the best teams in the league will be enough to calm down that talk

edcunited1878

What do you guys make the Wolves identity completely changing and now rely on strong defense and effort plays? We are a quarter into this season and the offense is only starting to wake up which for me is quite impressive. The other thing is that last night the Wolves were without their two best starting defenders in Beverley and Vanderbilt but it didn't change the identity of the team which would have been the case in the past.
Sounds like the Knicks a little bit. They need a go-to scorer/shooter in the clutch in order to be taken seriously. But having a high consistent level of defensive effort every night gives you the chance to compete at the least. Outscoring teams isn't possible unless you're capable of doing it night in, night out.

ZDwyr

Enjoyable first half between the Suns and Warriors. Not sure the Suns have much of a chance with Booker out for the rest of the game though. Very disappointing as a neutral.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The Warriors and Steph well and truly exposed here, especially the latter.
Man you really are so funny. So before the game you were complaining about people making projections after 20 games while after it you are giving your own hot takes after 1.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That was an insane defensive performance by the Suns but Steph still missed some open shots which won't happen everyday. Big win for the Suns without Booker

edcunited1878

Suns have the pieces to go far, but obviously Warriors are a threat. Strong head coach and the leader that is CP3 will keep them in contention.

SC obviously had a horrible shooting night, also credit Suns defense. He won't shoot that bad again this season and the Return of the Klay will make future matchups even better.

RooneyLegend

Oh please. It's a regular season game with the Suns playing at home.
Regular season games are important to see match ups and defensive schemes that work. Not understanding that is why so many teams disappoint in the play offs.

Sure, maybe the Warriors will win the next match up against the Sun's, but it won't be because Steph lit em up, they had him under lock and key and that won't change soon. Unless Bridges gets injured of course.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I love our defense.

Mikal better get talks for All Defensive team this year, scandalous that he never gets talked about despite being one of the best defenders in his position.

sport2793

As a Suns fan, no way you can watch that and claim any team or player was exposed. Bad shooting nights happen but I've seen Steph rebound from that a million times, plus give a little credit to Mikal Bridges (not many people seem to do so). There are 3 elite teams in this league and these two are part of that (alongside MIL). I love how both teams play on both ends, they play the game the way it is meant to be played. Will be great to see both teams at full strength face off.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
As a Suns fan, no way you can watch that and claim any team or player was exposed. Bad shooting nights happen but I've seen Steph rebound from that a million times, plus give a little credit to Mikal Bridges (not many people seem to do so). There are 3 elite teams in this league and these two are part of that (alongside MIL). I love how both teams play on both ends, they play the game the way it is meant to be played. Will be great to see both teams at full strength face off.
Agree about Bridges. He kind of is proving that he short-changed himself with that deal he took.

RooneyLegend

As long as Bridges and Ayton are playing, he won't be lighting up the Sun's anytime soon. There's a difference between a bad shooting night, which all shooters experience from time to time and being locked down. That was certainly the latter.

Bridges might be the best defender of small guys in the league, they genuinely have no chance against him. He's also really good at working his way around screens. If Monty had put him on Holiday earlier in the final maybe the outcome would've been different.

ZDwyr

I expect these two teams will meet again deep in the playoffs. Both look a step above the rest at the moment. Very good game.

Charlie Foley

Bridges was excellent. Agreed about those being the 3 to watch, I think if/when nets really get things together as we expect they obviously have the talent to be a problem in the east. But they looked way off against both Suns and Dubs recently

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I never said anybody was exposed though.

Steph had a bad shooting night which was helped by Mikal and Ayton playing very well, but there's no way that he'll shoot that badly again in any future matchups. Hell, he'll probably drop 50 on us when we meet in later this week because that's how great a scorer he is.

RooneyLegend

I've tried to stay quiet, I really have, but after reading such asinine drivel I've got to respond. You're telling me that as long as Bridges defends Curry he'll never have a good shooting night again because Bridges is so good. In the 12 years Steph's been in the league nobody has been able to stop him. The Raptors went box and one on him in the finals and he still scored 40+. He's the best shooter this game has ever seen and you're telling me after one bad game it's all over, he might as well just call it quits because Bridges has his number? He had a bad game, he might have another bad game on Friday, but down the road he'll be hitting 3s right and left against Mikal Bridges or anybody else. @Charlie Foley was right. I should have just hit "ignore".
I guess you'll just have to see for yourself. It reminds me of when Lillard was getting clamped up by Holiday and people thought with each passing game that Dame time was around the corner.
I never said anybody was exposed though.

Steph had a bad shooting night which was helped by Mikal and Ayton playing very well, but there's no way that he'll shoot that badly again in any future matchups. Hell, he'll probably drop 50 on us when we meet in later this week because that's how great a scorer he is.
No he wont, that was the second game in a row Mikal gave him fits, when will we accept it as a pattern?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I guess you'll just have to see for yourself. It reminds me of when Lillard was getting clamped up by Holiday and people thought with each passing game that Dame time was around the corner.

No he wont, that was the second game in a row Mikal gave him fits, when will we accept it as a pattern?
I actually deleted my previous post since even other Suns fans were saying what you were saying was silly. I didn't want to pile on. I'll just leave it at that.

Actually, just as an aside, since you're mentioning Holiday. The last time Steph played against Jrue he dropped 41 on him.

Last edited: