NBA Thread 2013-2014

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He can recoup quite a bit of the 30m in his next contract which would end after four years versus five, if what I've read is true. What he looses in annual salary, something like 2m per year over four years, he would offset much of that in Texas with no state income tax. Just like Bosh and James who can opt out earlier and recoup much of that lost fifth/sixth years in a new contract, as well as living in Florida with no state income tax. These two, and Howard in a similar situation, by opting out earlier can max out with the current club and actually make more in the fifth/sixth years, or hit the free agent road and still get max money or close too.
Guaranteed money is always preferred by players, never know when an injury might end your days as a superstar that can demand max contract.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Yes I know that it's just that "he took less/left more money on the table" crap that is irritating. Looking at the actual numbers it's only more money due to the fifth/sixth year. All contracts are guaranteed so $95m versus $125m isn't a huge difference when breaking down by actual years. It's closer to $95m versus $100m. Pro - can opt out earlier and recoup much, possibly more than; Con - less guaranteed years (or year).

I think most of the top tier guys prefer max contracts. It's why Anthony extended with Denver versus going the free agent route. He still got his coveted move to the East Coast either way.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
And he's gone to Houston. Goodbye and good riddance.

MrMarcello

Some former player, might have been Larry Bird or Charles Barkley but can't recall, stated if the NBA truly wanted the star players to stick with one club and not jump ship, they could easily make it so the home club could offer double or triple what any other club could. Union would probably never sign off on that but all it would take is another lockout/strike and we have seen how both sides cave in, either all from one side or collectively. Would LBJ and Bosh have turned down $125m/6 years for say $62.5m/6 years or $41m/6 years? Would Howard really walk away from that massive a gap in pay? Would any player?

ha_rooney

Its good riddance yes, but who can we sign to replace him? At least if we signed him and then traded him, we could have worked out a three to four team trade.

Apparently if we did a sign & trade to get a couple of decent players in, it would've created cap difficulty to go after the big free-agent stars next year. Not sure how that works out as everyone's contract, bar Nash, is up and I don't expect anyone coming in to be on max deals.

Next season is lost, no chance we make the playoffs, if anything we should tank as the Draft class is meant to be quite good. They really should look to rebuild long-term now, and they should start by hiring a new fecking coach instead of that imbecile.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Iguadola to GS as well. Great move! Curry Thompson Iggy Barnes/Lee Bogut is a tasty looking lineup.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Lakers fans are hilarious :lol: . Howard took the right decision. I think they will do very well. Won't win the championship but will do well.

Neutral

BTV
Wont win championships, but will do very well :lol: So basically be the Phoenix Suns? Used to win 55-60 games every season, but end up empty handed?

I am a Wizards fan btw - so it's a bit rich coming from me, but Dwight Howard is a fraud...a serious mental midget. Obviously the Lakers wanted to keep him - who wouldn't? But for someone that acts like an alpha dog...wants to get paid like an alpha dog...and behaves like an...you get the idea! He is a little bitch.

TheBest

SPNTBP
He has a much better chance of winning the championship with houston, that is why he has made the right decision. Just because I think houston will come up short in the end, doesn't mean that it was the wrong decision. At the end of the day, no one can guarantee championship. I agree his comments about "things on the internet bothering me" does show him to be a bit mentally weak. But regardless he made the right decision, anyone objective can see that.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Definitely the best move for Howard, Kobe doesn't realize he isn't the same player he used to be and until he's gone the Lakers won't win another title. That said, he's earned the right to play out his career in LA, it's just one of those things.

Howard will have his best squad of his professional career, but will we see the best Howard? I'm not convinced he'll recover from his back problems, those things are tricky. He certainly was never close to his best for LA, played anyway and just hurt himself again.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I dont understand this talk of Rockets competing for the title. They have Harden and Howard. Hardly a winning combination let alone a title winning one. They have to build for the next two to three seasons and Howard is already declining and will continue to do so from now on. If they got Smith, then maybe they might have been able to get to the Conference finals.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Smith signs with the Pistons ($54 million for four years)..

Boy Eboue, you got out of there just in time..

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I like Josh Smith, sure he's a head case but with the right players around him I think you could build a top 6 team. It would have to be done Pistons 'Bad Boys' style.

I'll definitely be very surprised if the Rockets are better than the Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers or Thunder next season.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I like Josh Smith, sure he's a head case but with the right players around him I think you could build a top 6 team. It would have to be done Pistons 'Bad Boys' style.

I'll definitely be very surprised if the Rockets are better than the Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers or Thunder next season.
He's not a team player. I don't think he has the spirit and the determination to win things.. He's just out there to take whatever shot he likes, and get paid. Not saying he's a sh*t player, but he has a very bad attitude, and he isn't good enough for that kind of attitude.

He's great for fantasy leagues though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's not a team player. I don't think he has the spirit and the determination to win things.. He's just out there to take whatever shot he likes, and get paid. Not saying he's a sh*t player, but he has a very bad attitude, and he isn't good enough for that kind of attitude.

He's great for fantasy leagues though.
He has such a perfect NBA physique, when Horford and I think Teague went down he put up some sick numbers for a while. But of course those went down when those two came back. I don't doubt you have his number.

I was imaging a pretty idealized scenario, perhaps if Chuck Daly comes back to life and he has Isiah Thomas as a teammate then Smith could win something. Isiah would just make your life hell if you didn't win, just like Jordan.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/

Oladipo dazzles in debut for Orlando

Victor Oladipo, the second overall pick of the NBA Draft, scored 18 points, grabbed six rebounds and handed out seven assists in his debut as the Orlando Magic beat the Boston Celtics 95-88 in first-day action of the Southwest Airlines Orlando Pro Summer League. Oladipo, college basketball’s Co-Defensive Player of the Year last season, also had five steals for the Magic.

MrMarcello

How is this guy still in a job? HOF shooting guard, Jordan called him the best defender he played against, but he's a CRAP executive. Get rid.
Knicks fans probably wondered the same about Thomas. That's two executive failures by former Pistons. Laimbeer has done well as a coach, however, it's a women's league and thus does not count.

MrMarcello

Apparently, Bynum has said he will not workout for clubs. So I'm thinking he's hoping for an auction for his services and knows a workout might reveal he's not fit to play, or perhaps his weight has ballooned, or that his knees are shot, or all of it.

I'm ready for Dallas to roll the dice on him but not at a steep cost.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I would not take a chance on Bynum, I wouldn't take any top player with a serious injury until I had seen he was able to get back to his best. One of the reasons I'm not bothered about Howard leaving the Lakers, he still hasn't shown he's recovered from his back problems.

Backs, bad knee injuries, torn up ankles, these are the things that turn someone like Amare' into a shadow of their former selves. All on max contracts!

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Lakers seem to be on their way to amnesty MWP. Not a good move IMO. Doesn't solve much in term of cap space, and means losing a good piece, without a real intention to tank.

ha_rooney

I have no idea what ideas Jimmy has for this team. It's all a mess and, unless we can entice LeBron to LA next season, we're going to struggle to contend for the next few seasons, especially with so few draft picks.

I'm flabbergasted that the Pringles-faced-shit-cnut is still coach. When you look at all the other sides who've changed their coach, this twat should've been fired a long time ago. I don't think I've hated someone as much as I hate him.

MrMarcello

If Stephen A is a person to even consider he knows his stuff, he claimed Howard told him that he asked for Phil Jackson and Buss Jr still went with D'Antoni. That Howard knew right then this club was not treating him like a supposed "future of the franchise."

Make of that what you will.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Then Howard is an ass for thinking he should pick the coach. He may well have been right about Jackson being the better choice, of course, but I don't see how that has anything to do with "treating him as the future of the franchise". Players shouldn't choose coaches, I'd sooner sell every player than let them pick the coach.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Looking in on Caldwell-Pope and the Pistons...

CP: 3-10 FG, 1-6 3s, 1 re, 1 ast, 4 st, 2 TO, 11pts....to lead all Pistons!!

Pistons: 27% FG, 32% 3s, 21 TOs, 63 pts.