6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

snk123

Brilliant player. We need to have a walk of atonement for all those who were against the idea of signing him.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Brilliant player. We need to have a walk of atonement for all those who were against the idea of signing him.
I raised questions over his attitude because of what went down in Mou's final season at Chelsea. Never doubted his ability though and all the doubt I had about his attitude is disappearing.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Exactly the same for me.
And if Perisic does come here and is a massive hit, then I will be delighted.

I am not a child that needs validation from people that I have never met on the Internet.

I respect someone more if they are willing to change their stance on something rather than sticking to a viewpoint to win cheap points on the web. I have been wrong many times in the past, I have been right too with opinions that were not that popular when I first held them, but I never see the point to go around and go "I told you so".

Its why the Danny Welbeck, Rooney are Smalling threads on here are such a chore to read. Petty point scoring.

As for Matic, he was brilliant today, but Jose will need to manage his game time well. Herrera could be a very capable deputy though.

fellaini's barber

A midfield of him and Herrera will be hard to get past. Pogba might not even need to track back much anymore. Shows how little you know of a player when they are not playing for the team you support despite watching them a lt. His attacking play really suprised me,never noticed that at Chelsea

Fracture90

Don't want to jinx him but so far he's been brilliant. Decision making, passing, running with the ball, vision, physical presence and superb anticipation.

Plus he can shoot as well!

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'll hold my hands up, i thought it was an underwhelming and the wrong signing - delighted with how wrong i am :)

MiceOnMeth

His performance today was everything I hoped Schneiderlin would be for us. Oozed class and shocked me a little with some of his touches and passing :eek:

Robbie Boy

His performance today was everything I hoped Schneiderlin would be for us. Oozed class and shocked me a little with some of his touches and passing :eek:
Yup agree with all of this. Funnily enough I was ecstatic when we signed Schneiderlin and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the signing of Matic. Shows what I know :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just watching the game now as I've been out all day, and within the first 15 minutes he pulls off turns in midfield that Carrick could only dream of. Superb player.

Shark

@NotShark
It seems surreal that after all of these years we've finally replaced Michael Carrick. Better late than never, I suppose.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Been so weird watching United this last couple of decades, in the post-Keane era. Central midfield has been this strange blind-spot, under every manager. Including Fergie. Even when we sign someone who does the business (i.e. Carrick) he splits opinions. And don't get me started on the long list of also-rans. Have we finally signed someone who is the real deal? A legitimate, all-round top class CM? Surely not?!?
I've been telling everyone all along. The fact that people were claiming Carrick was a top tier midfielder was proof how standards had fallen. A solid excellent midfielder don't get me wrong but lacked that top tier ability with the ball that the likes of Keane and Ince possessed. They had the ability to keep the ball under pressure despite being known as hard men they had that silk. Their passing range wasn't as expansive as Carrick but they had more courage and nimbleness on the ball.

Matic despite being a big man has that nimbleness on the ball which Carrick even at his peak has never had.

GM K

We are and tbh I apologize. I don't like to generalize and I don't like to be rude. I rate Matic, happy for his current form and really hope it stays consistent as long as possible. It's been one of my pet peeves in the caf having posters who are just too concerned on being right, like their opinions mattered to everyone and I admit that I can lose control about it sometimes.
I don't rate Perisic so I won't hope he is signed by Mourinho, if it happens, I'll root for him and sincerely hope to be proven totally wrong.
You have my respect for this post mate. Thumbs up.

JG3001

Maybe he was just genuinely dragged down by the rest of the team in the Chelsea meltdown season, as opposed to playing poorly due to Mourinho himself. It does happen, I remember in my Sunday league days, if I put the effort in and no one else would, eventually I'd think feck it, I don't care either.

End of the day, it seems obvious, but why would he sign for a manager that he didn't like playing under previously. Short answer, I don't think any player would.

Plus the other side, Mourinho has chosen to sign a player who had a bit of a nightmare playing under him, the reasoning must be that he still highly rates Matic and knows he is still a top player.

Prodigal7

Well being subbed on and off again has got to be some sort of nadir for any footballer.
I don't think that was performance related though, he was clearly unhappy and has been angling for a move to us for the last 2 transfer windows. I remember him being subbed once right after he scored an absolute screamer.

I don't want to stoke the whole point scoring arguments that have surfaced today, but, I do wonder how many of the people calling Matic "passed it" and generally not that good have even watched him play outside of his matches against us.

Also being influenced by slanted press articles saying that Chelsea were happy to sell him because of their Bakayoko purchase. I wish people would think for themselves and not pass on ABU/press/Chelsea propaganda as opinion.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I've been telling everyone all along. The fact that people were claiming Carrick was a top tier midfielder was proof how standards had fallen. A solid excellent midfielder don't get me wrong but lacked that top tier ability with the ball that the likes of Keane and Ince possessed. They had the ability to keep the ball under pressure despite being known as hard men they had that silk. Their passing range wasn't as expansive as Carrick but they had more courage and nimbleness on the ball.

Matic despite being a big man has that nimbleness on the ball which Carrick even at his peak has never had.
Jesus Christ. You don't need to run down Carrick to lift Matic.

Carrick was better than Ince and Matic. By a distance.

Matic is exactly what we need and he had a stormer of a game. The need for people to pull one thing down to elevate another is ridiculous.

AdNani

Matic is exactly what we need and he had a stormer of a game. The need for people to pull one thing down to elevate another is ridiculous.
He was not better than Ince, not a chance.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol: What a debut and what a player.

I remember wanting us to sign him when I watched him playing for Benfica vs Chelsea and I think that was when Chelsea then re signed him for the second time. That day for Benfica he was playing like he did today...so those that thought he was past it were obviously very wrong.

Minimalist

Absolute nonsense.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He was not better than Ince, not a chance.
You take yours, I'll take mine. Ince was a great footballer. I'd take Carrick over him though.

Principle point was that we don't need to diminish Carrick to praise Matic.

RRCE

Immense today. Simple as that. He's much more than just a destroyer. He's a better footballer than most had given him credit for. He will be a critical piece for us this year, without doubt.

I guess Jose knew what he was doing all along. How about that?!

Womp

idiot
What's the consensus among Chelsea fans? I wonder if the majority wanted him sold and how worried they were selling to us.
They have a better replacement in Bakayoko, apparently. Even though Bakayoko is a completely different player and it's obvious Conte was frustrated by Matic's sale.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
87 touches right across the pitch highlighted on MOTD2's touchmap and the run he makes alongside Lukaku for the first goal are making me sit up and take note. Definitely not just a destroyer sat in front of the back four.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
87 touches right across the pitch highlighted on MOTD2's touchmap and the run he makes alongside Lukaku for the first goal are making me sit up and take note. Definitely not just a destroyer sat in front of the back four.
Yep without that run Lukaku doesn't score.

I know it's too early to go into muppet mode about these signings but I am in muppet mode.

Mr Smith

I cannot believe how dynamic he is. I knew he'd be steely and work hard, but I didn't realise he'd be great going forward as well. He genuinely looks like he's been playing with us for years, the partnership with Pogba is just so natural.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yep without that run Lukaku doesn't score.

I know it's too early to go into muppet mode about these signings but I am in muppet mode.
I know, mopping up all the spunk from the matchday thread will be no mean feat :lol:. He's looked the real deal but we have to try to keep our feet on the ground. He'll have an indifferent game sooner or later and we can get a bit more perspective, but for now he's looking an ideal fit for us.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Matic will remain to be seen, Carrick started becoming his peak self around the age Matic is now. It happened quite late for him.

Ince ... I know who I am taking in a match for my life between him and Carras ... It ain't Carras and I have all the love in the world for his 2012/13 season exploits (Christ he was good)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Touch map from BBC shows he is far from being a defensive shield and in fact gets all over the place like an action man.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Please can someone (maybe a Chelsea fan) explain to me why they sold him? I remember him being exceptional when Chelsea won the legaue back a few seasons ago and Mourinho was lauded for buying him. What went wrong ... makes no sense to me at all.

I think he will be like Cantona: the key that unlocks all of LVG/Mourinho combined signings and influence.

TsuWave

I hope we have Mctominay following his footsteps, its early days but Matic looks good and like he's going to be an important piece in our team so it'd be great to be moulding Mctominay after him because of injuries/suspensions etc

InfiniteBoredom

In 3 full seasons since he came back to England he won the league twice, being a starter in both of those wins.

Watch Kante shows himself to be nothing more than the water carrier he is this season. Matic will continue to only get better.

Red4Life_#7

Conte rates Fabregas more? I really don't know what promoted them to do this.
Cesc and Kante are both very small players... we would win every aerial battle with them in the centre of the park. But I heard Conte didn't want to sell Matic and it was against his wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.