6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

That performance was kind of what I was hoping for from Schneiderlin.

ManuMou

He's like Carrick 5 years ago minus the silky passing range but with added physical prowess and ball carrying ability.
feck me, he's like Herrera and Carrick combined into one.
This. And this.

I would categorize his performance today as world class. Keep it up Matic !!

I am worried for Herrera now......

Last edited:

ManuMou

MOTM in a 4-0 game for a DM, how often do you see that.

This pretty much speaks for itself

Last edited:

klayton88

Although a geat performance I would like to see how he copes when against the bigger teams. Didn't get chance to see his defensive skills so much today (which is a good thing obviously) but we'll have far tougher games to come. In terms of a stand out player performance I still think the job Herrera did on Hazard last season will take some beating.

el3mel

Although a geat performance I would like to see how he copes when against the bigger teams. Didn't get chance to see his defensive skills so much today (which is a good thing obviously) but we'll have far tougher games to come. In terms of a stand out player performance I still think the job Herrera did on Hazard last season will take some beating.
We saw that already against Madrid. He was our best player in this game as well and faced Madrid's midfield alone because Herrera had a shocker in this game.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Any performance videos going around? Couldn't find anything watchable on YouTube.

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Please can someone (maybe a Chelsea fan) explain to me why they sold him? I remember him being exceptional when Chelsea won the legaue back a few seasons ago and Mourinho was lauded for buying him. What went wrong ... makes no sense to me at all.
Supposedly he wanted to leave and we were nice/stupid/greedy enough to let him go wherever. I don't think most people cared too much other than the fact that we were selling to a rival and our depth was going to take a hit. We all envisioned another CM (Bakayoko) to take his spot in the starting line up anyway.

But to be honest he's looked more enthusiastic for you guys already than he did for us in the last 2 years. Maybe some players just need a new challenge to step up their game (just as old saying about clubs needing to constantly refresh their squads). He looked slow and ponderous for us, but seems to be more willing to get stuck in with you.

Watch Kante shows himself to be nothing more than the water carrier he is this season. Matic will continue to only get better.
Wasn't going to comment about Kante in a Matic thread but lots of people seem to bundle them together. If our midfield lacks it'll be because Matic is better defensively and was a little more mobile than Fabregas. Kante on the other hand will continue doing as Kante does, with or without Matic.

Reactions: Invictus

InfiniteBoredom

Wasn't going to comment about Kante in a Matic thread but lots of people seem to bundle them together. If our midfield lacks it'll be because Matic is better defensively and was a little more mobile than Fabregas. Kante on the other hand will continue doing as Kante does, with or without Matic.
Aye, run a lot.

haram

Shite. Lukaku, shite. Bet Perisic would be shite as well.

Giggs86

He's like Schneiderlin but with an actual pair of balls.

Hope those who doubted Mourinho's signings are going to sit quietly now. Every player he signed was a success for us. A little bit off topic, but if Mou wants Perisic I trust his judgement with my eyes closed. Here's hoping the 'too old past it' brigade of clowns learned their lesson.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I remember when Matic first started getting linked with Chelsea the first time, people were claiming him to be 'the new Vieira'. I've not really watched him much throughout his career tbh, but that ability to run with the ball and turn defence into attack through the middle of the park today was very Vieira like. Still, it's early days. Let's hope he can keep it up!

He's like Carrick 5 years ago minus the silky passing range but with added physical prowess and ball carrying ability.
I'd say he's more like the Roy Keane player Carrick was supposed to replace. An upgrade overall imo.

Any theories about why he lost his mojo at Chelsea?
I said elsewhere it was just down to tactics. Conte was asking him to play a game that wasn't to his strengths, putting more emphasis on his new toy Kante. As for why he lost his mojo in Mourinho's last season, you could ask that of the entire Chelsea team.

ZDwyr

He's like Schneiderlin but with an actual pair of balls.

Hope those who doubted Mourinho's signings are going to sit quietly now. Every player he signed was a success for us. A little bit off topic, but if Mou wants Perisic I trust his judgement with my eyes closed. Here's hoping the 'too old past it' brigade of clowns learned their lesson.
Yes, but he's miles better technically too. And intelligence wise.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wow, he's excellent. To come in after no preseason and be one of, if not our best player in our past 3 games is something else. I'm so glad we got him.

kiristao

He brings such calmness to the midfield. Always available to receive the ball and picks a simple but extremely effective pass almost every time.

RedCurry

Please can someone (maybe a Chelsea fan) explain to me why they sold him? I remember him being exceptional when Chelsea won the legaue back a few seasons ago and Mourinho was lauded for buying him. What went wrong ... makes no sense to me at all.

I think he will be like Cantona: the key that unlocks all of LVG/Mourinho combined signings and influence.
Without knowing much about the entire situation here's my guess.

Conte wanted to bring in Bakayoko who he might consider to be a better player and that would mean that Matic would lose his starting spot in the side. He wanted to continue to play first team with World Cup coming up and Jose pretty much guaranteed that. Roman saw an ageing player and wasn't against selling while there was still some resale value left. All speculation on my part.

Jaybomb

Conte bought Bakayoko and Abramovich thought to himself "We'll take the 40 million"

That and I imagine Matic wanted to leave and play under Mourinho again.

Ultimately they can't force a player to stay.

Charlie Foley

Supposedly he wanted to leave and we were nice/stupid/greedy enough to let him go wherever. I don't think most people cared too much other than the fact that we were selling to a rival and our depth was going to take a hit. We all envisioned another CM (Bakayoko) to take his spot in the starting line up anyway.

But to be honest he's looked more enthusiastic for you guys already than he did for us in the last 2 years. Maybe some players just need a new challenge to step up their game (just as old saying about clubs needing to constantly refresh their squads). He looked slow and ponderous for us, but seems to be more willing to get stuck in with you.

Pretty sensible post.

moodyred

Many asked for Fabinho, including myself. We got Matic, and boy am I glad we got him.

He brings that calmness to the midfield. His ball control was amazing. Where we see alot of side and backpassing from our midfielders last season and entire LVG era, Matic was releasing a number of attacks with his distribution forward. I don't know if it is a poor West Ham team, or the impact of Matic in midfield, but our boys are definitely playing the attacking soccer we all craved for.

Robbie Boy

Obviously it's only one game but he looked a far better player for us yesterday than he's done for Chelsea pretty much their title victory under Mourinho. Not sure why his performance levels at Chelsea dipped, but he looked like a rejuvenated player yesterday. That has alleviated many concerns that he was doing a Torres and going into decline well before he should have.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Without knowing much about the entire situation here's my guess.

Conte wanted to bring in Bakayoko who he might consider to be a better player and that would mean that Matic would lose his starting spot in the side. He wanted to continue to play first team with World Cup coming up and Jose pretty much guaranteed that. Roman saw an ageing player and wasn't against selling while there was still some resale value left. All speculation on my part.
Sounds plausible. Except why would conte ever rate Bakayoko who is unproven at top level over Matic?!

I think this will rebound as much on Chelsea as Makelele did on Madrid and we will benefit as much as Chelsea did when they signed him. Its an almost identical situation.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Thanks for explaining. But why did he want to leave and why did Conte rate Bakayoko over him?

As you say, even if Bakayoko does deliver, it will take him a few.months at very least to recover fully from injury, settle into the team and find his form. That alone may cost you the league.

WoodysWallet

I must confess, I have no idea he's this good when he was at Chelsea.
Me neither. It's his composure that surprises me the most. I had no idea how good he was on the ball.
He's got so much more to his games, than just being a brick wall in front of our back four.

It was an eye opener watching him in that midfield yesterday. I know Herrera was outstanding last year, but there is no way on earth that the lad has got a performance, like the one we saw from Matic, in him I'm afraid.

Ander still has plenty to offer of course, and it's a long hard season ahead.

Exciting times once again for us, like Gary Neville said after the game, you wouldn't want to play against us now.

Z_Wolf

Lukaku and Rashford did very well for the first goal but he deserves as much if not more credit. He won the ball in a dangerous area and allowed Rashford to cut inside by drawing the defender wide and created space for Lukaku to run into to receive the ball.

I've never seen a player so tall and yet so technically nifty and tenacious. He was immense yesterday and long may it continue.

Treble

Chelsea will live to regret it. He's the signing that may decide the league this season.

kirk buttercup

Obviously it's only one game but he looked a far better player for us yesterday than he's done for Chelsea pretty much their title victory under Mourinho. Not sure why his performance levels at Chelsea dipped, but he looked like a rejuvenated player yesterday. That has alleviated many concerns that he was doing a Torres and going into decline well before he should have.
They dipped because Conte played him in a system that didn't suit him . Before last season he was a amazing when he was played in the right systen in his best role by Jose as it turns out.I think it speaks volumes that Conte already has spoken out about losing him. This guy is a game changer for us.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm a major Michael Carrick fan. Never thought I'd see a decent replacement while he is still playing but Matic looks the finished article. Can't believe his attacking instincts, control, vision. Perfect 10. He needs to stay healthy, Carrick can still play a part, and Herrera too.

Red Devil Rising

Was a colossus yesterday.

He must feel so liberated to leave that stink of a club. Costa is kicking off again today.

It's like being born into the Manson family and then The Waltons come and decide to adopt you.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I really have no idea why this surprises people. I was bigging up his dribbling and passing ability when the Schneiderlin fan boys were trying to argue he was better than Matic. On the ball he's always been very good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His stamina and speed is much better than I expected, and that dribbling :eek:

I must confess I wasn't "excited" about us signing him at first, I think he played very limited at Chelsea and that clouded my judgement. He's much better than I expected, hope it's not just a honeymoon phase.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Like Carrick at his very best, but younger, more of a tank and with a lot more aggression.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Watch Kante shows himself to be nothing more than the water carrier he is this season. Matic will continue to only get better.
Christ. What a terrible post. I suppose it was Matic who made Kante look good at Leicester as well.

Kante has been fantastic for the past two seasons. And he's hardly a water carrier.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A couple of things I like about him early on. He is super calm, even under pressure. In a DM position, this is key as it gives the other players confidence to move forward as they know he will get the ball to them. 2nd, his forward passing. There were many situations I expected him to make a back- or sideway pass but he kept the ball moving forward, found Pogba for instance many many times. On top, he's a good runner, aggressive and has the positioning of a top DM.

I did not think he could be that good for us but if he keeps that form, he will be one of the top 3 performers this year. 2 games now, 2 excellent performances

AKDevil

I think he will be like Cantona: the key that unlocks all of LVG/Mourinho combined signings and influence.
He wanted to leave last summer and told them again in January. He didn't want to be there. That's why they sold him. Mistake is selling him to United. That's baffling. But if that's where he wants to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.