Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Matic is a very good footballer, I feel the the pace of some games does catch him out a bit, and I've noticed in a few games this season that when he tracks players into our box, he is invariably a yard behind them, not close enough to challenge. He is probably suited more to European matches, rather than Prem. As the pace slackened second half, he played better. I would have a midfield of Fred, Herrera and Pereira for Prem, not a natural DM in there, but two box to box and one creative midfielder. Pogba would play further forward, a more freer role.

Bestietom

Bournemouth played some neat football up front yesterday, and should have blown us away in first half.
Juventus just played with us like a cat with a mouse, and other good footballing sides will do the same.
We need to get our backline and defensive midfield sorted quickly, and this should be worked on at the training ground.

Backrow Singer

He's a good player but he needs a rest next week, he's played a lot of football. I wouldn't be entirely confident with Herrera replacing him to be honest, Herrera has always been a player who is attracted to the football and we know that Pogba likes to leave his position so there's the potential for us to be picked off in that respect. Ultimately though, he needs a break so he can freshen up and come back in better condition.

Devil may care

He's tailor made for Serie A at this point, but we could still get another season or so out of him if he was just used as a squad DM where he could get plenty of rest time.

youngrell

It seems like he's being asked to mark space and not pick up a man, which is one hell of a tough job with the way we leave such a huge gap between defence and attack, plus I've always been most impressed by his ability to aggressively close and tackle an opponent so it seems bizarre to not have him doing this.

Fellaini seemed to be doing the job of filling the space earlier in the season and did a better job due to his larger presence, but since he's been out injured Matic has been pretty awful at it.

A lot of our troubles stem from the big gap in the middle. If the defensive line pushed up 15/20 yards it would make everyone's job a little easier and I think we'd see better performances from even our worst performers this season, including Lukaku and Matic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

So this was from July last year.

So far this season, Matic has made 6 interceptions (0.75 per game) and 10 tackles (1.25 per game)

Last season he made 64 interceptions (1.78 per game) and 70 tackles (1.9 per game)

His form has fallen off a cliff this season and could well be the single biggest factor in our leaky defence.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Interesting stats above and it basically confirms what we have all seen this season regarding his regression. We need to start managing his minutes rather than playing him every week. He can still be a valuable player for us - ie I think we should rest him vs Juve so he is fresh for the Derby as I can see him being useful in that game.

Juventus 1:2 Man Utd

luke511

He's way too slow to handle playing that position for us, gave the opposition way too much time to play and hardly closed anyone down.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We might as well bring Carrick back. He is a dead man walking.

Zoo

I thought he was better defensively tonight and looked more alert to tracking runners which he hasn’t been doing recently.

kundalini

Looked out of his depth. Simply too slow to react to anything. Early yellow card meant he was no use covering the counter-attack. No idea what he was doing when Dybala hit the crossbar; seemed to forget that Dybala is left footed.

SAFMUTD

He isnt even half the player he was at the start of last season. Way to slow, he needs replacing asap.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I’m scared if he plays against City, although we’ll probably sit very deep and that will limit the area he has to patrol.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Khedira scored it would have been on him. Totally forgot about his man and got attracted to the ball.
He's a walking liability at the moment and he's going to cost us.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
He really needs to cut out these early bookings. He got booked within 15 minutes against Chelsea as well and booked in the first half against Juve in the home leg.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
More and more forcing the club's transfer priority to become a defensive midfielder rather than leader in defense.

Surely you can require more from experienced player like him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
One or two shaky moments aside I actually think he did alright tonight, he's wasn't perfect but I won't lay into him too much after that. Could've definitely been a bit more aggressive when pressing though.

R'hllor

Being forced in XI vs Spurs says it how JM sees him, its actually brain melt mental.

Adisa

It's not even like he's ancient. He's just 31 and the most experienced player at the club.
He should be leading this club ffs!

cyberman

Indeed

The sooner people realise he's not a DM nor is he being asked to do that role the better
Its strange that fans are digging out both Paul and Matic.
Herrera must be a hell of a player if he can resist the Juve wave on his own.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
If Khedira scored it would have been on him. Totally forgot about his man and got attracted to the ball.
And the Dybala chance too (the one that hit the crossbar) but overall we got the job done, still not seeing the Matic of first season....

lsd

The Oracle
I take it matic is now the new scapegoat on here and will get the same tired comments every match that in all honesty sound like the person hasn't even watched the game

lsd

The Oracle
No that would have been about Herrera who was marking Khedira but then just walked away and left him free

I take it Matic is now the new scapegoat on here and will get the same tired comments every match that in all honesty sound like the person hasn't even watched the game
Strange post after this game. He’s being praised, and rightly so - but his performances over the past month have been atrocious. An in form Matic is a tremendous assist.

Irwin99

Got better as the game went on. Much improved performance on the last few weeks where he's been pretty awful.

Adisa

No that would have been about Herrera who was marking Khedira but then just walked away and left him free
Have to look at it again.
Matic was the one following Khedira and suddenly went towards the ball.

Devil may care

Poor again, he's too slow on the ball and off it, if he's not a DM he sure as he'll isn't a #8 as he lacks any mobility to play that role, our midfield sorely lacks a smaller, craftier player.

luke511

I take it Matic is now the new scapegoat on here and will get the same tired comments every match that in all honesty sound like the person hasn't even watched the game
I watched him individually for a lot of the game, especially when defending, and he was a pace behind everything in my opinion. He was too slow reacting to situations, just isn't mobile enough and hasn't been all season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure what game the others watched but I thought he’s poor again.

Can’t believe how much time he gave Dybala to turn and shoot.

Rarely helped shaw when 1v1 with cuarado, failed to track Ronaldo when he put the cross in for khedira hitting the Post.

I just watch him and struggle to see what he does positively. There’s so many other better players we could have. He looks absolutely dead on his feet and actually collapsed in exhaustion at the end, I genuinely fear for his health if he doesn’t get rested soon.

CM

With each game that passes I become more convinced this will be the game where he's finally hooked. Nope.

Sylar

I dont get what his position is meant to be. I mean, its meant to be DM (holding) to protect the defence, but hes not really been doing that. He also just jogs back when somebody goes past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.