Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

In my opinion his is the first position we need to find a replacement, I really hope the coaching team have seen that. It's very difficult to win the midfield battle when a player in such a key position cannot keep up physically, positionally gets caught in no mans land particularly during transitions, and when with the ball takes forever to get it forward. I would rather see a midfield double pivot of Herrera and Fred, with Pogba ahead of them than any combination involving Matic as CDM.
RB equally important

Patrick08

Build up, transitions and creativity falls on the whole team. Apart from Pogba who else does these things in our team? We have ZERO wingers, forwards playing out on the left, number 10's playing on the right, no width, cannot build play from defence, poor delivery, poor ball retention, poor transitions, poor build up. How much longer do we have to go before people accept this? There is no tactical fix for this which will allow us to compete at the top. We need different players.

People think we just need to attack more, throw more bodies forward and press more. They are WRONG.
Nah, you dominate the midfield with positioning control and being at the right place at the right time, winning first and second balls, closing spaces quickly, winning the duels in the middle and dictating tempo on the ball, matic and pogba just stroll around in the midfield with very little energy. We are so damn poor on second balls and the basics of midfield control even sides like watford can outwork us and do the basics better.

Matic has just lost his legs and engine, while pogba is half hearted and take things too casually. These midfield shambles is the reason we play on back foot in the first place and are not in control, rest every sloppiness are the result of these very same midfield shambles which is at the heart of the problem why we look so poor as a football team. And these midfield dross we produce time and time again comes directly from matic and Pogba's performances in the middle specially without the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In our current predicament we need a DM that is mobile and preferably quick too. Ruben Neves who seems to be a favourite on here would not be much of a upgrade at all on Matic IMO.

If we can entice Rodri from Atletico we should definitely pay his clause. He definitely has the attributes that we need and some...

haram

Nah, you dominate the midfield with positioning control and being at the right place at the right time, winning first and second balls, closing spaces quickly, winning the duels in the middle and dictating tempo on the ball, matic and pogba just stroll around in the midfield with very little energy. We are so damn poor on second balls and the basics of midfield control even sides like watford can outwork us and do the basics better.

Matic has just lost his legs and engine, while pogba is half hearted and take things too casually. These midfield shambles is the reason we play on back foot in the first place and are not in control, rest every sloppiness are the result of these very same midfield shambles which is at the heart of the problem why we look so poor as a football team. And these midfield dross we produce time and time again comes directly from matic and Pogba's performances in the middle specially without the ball.
You are blaming two players who have played in title winning sides. When Ole first came in, Matic’s legs weren’t gone then were they? Pogba was in top form wasn’t he? Im afraid the problem is much deeper than what Matic and and Pogba do off the ball.

kundalini

In our current predicament we need a DM that is mobile and preferably quick too. Ruben Neves who seems to be a favourite on here would not be much of a upgrade at all on Matic IMO.

If we can entice Rodri from Atletico we should definitely pay his clause. He definitely has the attributes that we need and some...
Distance covered per 90 mins in the CL this season: Rodri 11.5 km. Matic 11.4 km. McTominay 12.7 km.

Pass completion in CL this season: Rodri 92%, Matic 91%, McTominay 100% (figures according to UEFA, Whoscored have McTominay at 96%, Rodri 90%, Matic 88%)

Height: Matic 1.94m, McTominay 1.93m, Rodri 1.91m

I could do Whoscored ratings in the CL this season and so on............

Rodri may be fantastic but at least give McTominay one season as a regular starter for United to demonstrate whether he is up to the task or not.

Last edited:

Trizy

I don't rate Scotty but feck me he'll offer more than Matic at this stage. Matic is a complete nothing player these days. Offers next to nothing defensively and too slow moving the ball to offer much in attack. Another painful decline.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Distance covered per 90 mins in the CL this season: Rodri 11.5 km. Matic 11.4 km. McTominay 12.7 km.

Pass completion in CL this season: Rodri 92%, Matic 91%, McTominay 100% (figures according to UEFA, Whoscored have McTominay at 96%)

Height: Matic 1.94m, McTominay 1.93m, Rodri 1.91m

I could do Whoscored ratings in the CL this season and so on............
Nothing to do with distance covered. Rodri can actually shift when needed, he's surprising very quick for a such a elegant player.

Greck

Those extra touches he forces before every 5 yard pass. It's the football version of a guy who likes hearing himself talk

simplyared

One of our most important players who for some reason get's an enormous amount of stick on the Caf. it's no coincidence we're on a losing run with him out of the team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
One of our most important players who for some reason get's an enormous amount of stick on the Caf. it's no coincidence we're on a losing run with him out of the team.
Cheers Nemanja. When you back?

What are you talking about? It's when he returned to the team we started loosing games.

deadrevelz

When he's fit and in form he is a very good player, but apart from a purple patch under Ole he's been crap this season and not getting younger.

edcunited1878

What are you talking about? It's when he returned to the team we started loosing games.
He hasn't played the last two weeks. United have only won one (1) match (West Ham) then three (3) losses (Wolves, Barca x2). He only played 3 matches in March because he was injured late Feb into early March. It's been up and down regardless of Matic. Matic is having a worse season this year than last, but he's also had more injuries. It's been nice to see Fred and McTominay play well to a degree the past few weeks, but Matic is still a good player and should be starting for United but needs a good midfield partner whether it is/was Herrera, Fred or McTominay.

While he is slow, he has better composure on the ball and can shield it better than Fred, especially playing a deeper position. Fred will lose possession in a bad area at least once every match and he will not be able to recover and leave the team exposed playing as the deepest central midfielder.

Matic and Herrera are more solid and reliable than Fred and McTominay. Fred and McTominay are more robust and energetic collectively, but neither unit/duo contribute not nearly enough going forward.

And here is the issue. United play with two central, hardworking midfielders who have to compensate for Pogba because he's an auxillary central midfielder but really is an attacking player.

Ace of Spades

Sell him, a training cone would put more pressure on opposition than him. The ease of which players lose him is embarassing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Dunno what part of Ole saw his performances under Mourinho and thought "oh yeah more of that". He's been shite all year, I can't believe he keeps going straight back into the starting 11. We need to get rid of him in the summer.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Just why? You knew how it was going to turn out, playing him, and once again he was awful. If there are other options he shouldn't be on the pitch. Probably our worst player this season which considering how its gone just speaks to how awful he's been.

flappyjay

If someone clowns about how 28 year olds are not bad investments I will lose my mind. This is exactly why I preferred fabinho to this clown, feck it's not even his fault that he has lost mobility.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
When Gylfi scored he just couldn't be bothered. Didn't track his run, didn't press him and let him get a free shot.

Devil may care

I worry about the boner Ole seems to have the lumbering has-been, I don't know why he stayed on, he isn't doing anything to protect the back 4, gets ran off the ball or his pocket picked with ease, and then does those pointless Redondo inpersonations that go nowhere.

settembrini

It seems unfair to criticise one player's performance on a day when literally the entire team play badly but jesus, this guy, he just cannot do ANYTHING. He's got so many weaknesses that watching him play ends up being an exercise in trying to work out what he's worst at it. Is it his tackling, his pressing, his passing, his shooting... He's just so awful at everything I cannot pick.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has 1 job, and that’s to be the defensive midfielder.

If somebody defended like that for Cardiff or Fulham they’d be hooked almost instantly. It was so so bad, I just have no idea what our coaches see in him!

He’s been awful for weeks again now, back to the usual Matic. Seems he can’t play without herrera.

spiriticon

This is why we do not sign 29 year olds.

Yes, he is indeed too fecking old cause now we gotta replace him and he's barely done anything here.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Back up player at best who needs replacing in the summer with a younger, more mobile alternative (Rice?).

Web of Bissaka

His steep decline is so sharp and early.

Messy performance pairing up with Fred, as expected. Nothing new. Happened many times before but manager disagree apparently, and what the hell is Carrick and McKenna doing if they're ignoring advising against this to Ole. They've seen it more than enough with Mou.

Improved definitely in the second half playing with McTominay. A lot stable performance, but then his decline is so obvious.

McTominay then being told to play RM for whatever bs reasoning, and Matic pairing up with Pogba lead to another exposed bs performance at the centre... well, nothing new.

Djemba-Djemba

Our worst player this season.

It takes some doing in a season when almost everyone has been dogshit, but Matic has managed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.