Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Give me that over the frenzied football before he came back that couldn't get us a clean sheet to save our lives.
Yeah, just a spanking off Arsenal. We did have a good record against the top sides until coach trip arrived. You're kidding yourself mate.

KeanoMagicHat

Has to play really with McTominay out, the other midfielders aren't good enough defensively. Adds balance to the team, even if there are still a few problems with him and should probably be replaced in the summer. But for the time being, he needs to play.

Kag

Played some nice passes, but as usual, players just waltz past him. How many times was he robbed of the ball today? Horrendous attribute to have as a defensive midfielder. That and his uncanny ability to literally Soto our own attacks while taken half a dozen touches of his own. Can't wait for McTominay to come back in all honesty.
McTominay has some reasonable qualities but Matic is significantly better defensively and also better at keeping hold of possession. You’d have quite a player if you could mesh the two.

Yeah, just a spanking off Arsenal. We did have a good record against the top sides until coach trip arrived. You're kidding yourself mate.
I would play McTom over him every day of the week against the big sides actually.

It's the "lesser" teams when Matic defensive qualities, positioning and quality on the ball are a huge plus.

I'm kidding nothing.

ivaldo

McTominay has some reasonable qualities but Matic is significantly better defensively and also better at keeping hold of possession. You’d have quite a player if you could mesh the two.
No he isn't. He's repeatedly out of position and repeatedly losing his man because his legs are gone.

Based Adnan

You'd think after seeing half a season without someone slowing us down occasionally and getting no clean sheets, that our fans might just "get it".
Your argument was:
Slows down our play is such a lazy comment. There were plenty of fast, fired balls from him when passes were on.
Matic slowing us down is a fact. I'm not pointing out the fact he makes us more defensively stable as you mentioned nothing about clean sheets in this post.

Your argument was:

Matic slowing us down is a fact. I'm not pointing out the fact he makes us more defensively stable as you mentioned nothing about clean sheets in this post.
Yeah, my argument was that saying "he slows us down" is lazy as feck.

Kroos slows Madrid, Xavi did Barca, Scholes and Carrick United. Slowing a team down is often a very good thing, except around here these days.

ivaldo

I would play McTom over him every day of the week against the big sides actually.

It's the "lesser" teams when Matic defensive qualities, positioning and quality on the ball are a huge plus.

I'm kidding nothing.
You mean, it's against teams that don't try to play through us where his defensive qualities shine. Basically, when he has to do very little defending. When teams attack us, like Arsenal did, he is absolutely fecking dread defensively. He's looked OK against Wolves, a counter attacking side, and against Norwich, who had absolutely no outlet.

Kag

No he isn't. He's repeatedly out of position and repeatedly losing his man because his legs are gone.
You can accuse Matic of many things but he knows what his role is. His positioning is largely fine and he mops up well. This is reflected in our goals conceded tally when he’s not in the team.

Again, he has his issues, but he’s necessary until we can buy somebody with the mobility to match his IQ.

The suggestion that McTominay is better defensively is simply bollocks, to be frank.

You mean, it's against teams that don't try to play through us where his defensive qualities shine. Basically, when he has to do very little defending. When teams attack us, like Arsenal did, he is absolutely fecking dread defensively. He's looked OK against Wolves, a counter attacking side, and against Norwich, who had absolutely no outlet.
I thought our back 4 were most at fault v. Arsenal and there was a significant difference with Matic on the pitch v. City.

But alright, he's fecking useless if that helps you sleep better.

Based Adnan

Kroos slows Madrid, Xavi did Barca, Scholes and Carrick United. Slowing a team down is often a very good thing, except around here these days.
The reason you can allow players like Xavi, Scholes, Carrick, Alonso etc to slow down play is because they are far superior on the ball and capable of unlocking defences at the slightest opportunity. Matic cannot do this. I have no problem with Pogba slowing down play for example.

ivaldo

Slowing a team down when they are counter attacking is not a good thing, no matter how you want go paint it. Holding on to the ball for another two of three seconds and passing up on perfectly good options, to then play the ball backwards is not good. Allowing teams to get back into position or worse, allowing teams to step up their press against us as he passes the backwards is not good.

Slowing play down when there are no viable options is perfectly fine. Slowing the game down to a pace that suits us is perfectly fine. Slowing the game down to take the sting out of a game we are winning is perfectly fine. You seem to be confusing the two.

Matic very much belongs in the first category.

Paul_Scholes18

Has played well since he returned from his injury. Hopefully he can do it against Liverpool too. That will be a bigger test although they do not attack down the middle too much. I worry more about our defenders for that game and also that our wingers can't stop their fullbacks enough.

The reason you can allow players like Xavi, Scholes, Carrick, Alonso etc to slow down play is because they are far superior on the ball and capable of unlocking defences at the slightest opportunity.
No, you allow Xavi to do it when he wants nothing more than to kill a game.

Top midfielders slow down games. Now, I'm not comparing Matic to Kroos, Scholes or Xavi but claiming a midfielder who seems to start in an incredible number of our clean sheet game "slows us down" is a bad thing, is pure tosh. This frantic side needs slowing the feck down on occasions.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I really like the guy, he just isn't very good anymore. His long arm press-resistance is still a joy to watch mind you and a good quality to have. Thought he showed some leader qualities in moments too, which is appreciated. Has not been horrible since he came in.

ivaldo

You can accuse Matic of many things but he knows what his role is. His positioning is largely fine and he mops up well. This is reflected in our goals conceded tally when he’s not in the team.

Again, he has his issues, but he’s necessary until we can buy somebody with the mobility to match his IQ.

The suggestion that McTominay is better defensively is simply bollocks, to be frank.
I don't know how many times we have to watch him being robbed of the ball or have plays meander past him until this finally sinks in. Did you not watch the first half? Did you not watch the Arsenal game?

Slowing a team down when they are counter attacking is not a good thing, no matter how you want go paint it. Holding on to the ball for another two of three seconds and passing up on perfectly good options, to then play the ball backwards is not good. Allowing teams to get back into position or worse, allowing teams to step up their press against us as he passes the backwards is not good.

Slowing play down when there are no viable options is perfectly fine. Slowing the game down to a pace that suits us is perfectly fine. Slowing the game down to take the sting out of a game we are winning is perfectly fine. You seem to be confusing the two.

Matic very much belongs in the first category.
You can bang on all you like about your dislike of Matic but if you can't give me any explanation as to why the following is the case then you're just purely biased:

9/11 clean sheets when starting; 3/23 when not.

And @ivaldo , if you haven't noticed mate, most of our dog shit results this season come from us conceding the first goal, often because we're frantic as feck.

ivaldo

No, you allow Xavi to do it when he wants nothing more than to kill a game.

Top midfielders slow down games. Now, I'm not comparing Matic to Kroos, Scholes or Xavi but claiming a midfielder who seems to start in an incredible number of our clean sheet game "slows us down" is a bad thing, is pure tosh. This frantic side needs slowing the feck down on occasions.
You don't slow a game down when it's 0-0 and neither teams looks particularly dangerous. If he was doing it at key moments then that's fine, but not all game.

ivaldo

You can bang on all you like about your dislike of Matic but if you can't give me any explanation as to why the following is the case then you're just purely biased:

9/11 clean sheets when starting; 3/23 when not.

And @ivaldo , if you haven't noticed mate, most of our dog shit results this season come from us conceding the first goal, often because we're frantic as feck.
Got those matches handy?

ivaldo

He doesn't do it all game, stop mixing up your clear bias with the truth.
:lol: He's doing it from minute one. Which is why you quietly ignored on two occasions my point about him being robbed of the ball in the first half. It happens all the time.

Kag

I don't know how many times we have to watch him being robbed of the ball or have plays meander past him until this finally sinks in. Did you not watch the first half? Did you not watch the Arsenal game?
There isn’t a midfielder at the club who doesn’t get robbed of the ball, and that includes Pogba. You can use that as a stick to beat Matic with but he’s probably the least likely to lose it in our own half. Not one of our options has any real sort of composure.

Matic is slow and players can waltz by him. That’s an issue. But there are positives you are choosing to ignore and you’re wrong to do so. He isn’t perfect. He isn’t particularly ideal. But in certain matches he has his uses.

:lol: He's doing it from minute one. Which is why you quietly ignored on two occasions my point about him being robbed of the ball in the first half. It happens all the time.
Laughing smilies, ahhhh now we know you've got nothing.

23 games against top teams eh? No wonder you edited that post. I'd add a green smilie here, but it's clear you're the one with the confirmation bias so I'll smirk to myself instead and log out for the evening.

bondsname

I think a 433 with Matic and Fred infront of the defense with Pogba infront of them could work very well.

Matic is very good defensively, ita no coincidence we keep so many clean sheets with him on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.