Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's like he's suddenly realised he doesn't need pace, because he's massive and has huge legs, so can just use his body as an obstacle and stride away when necessary.

Red card was annoying, but in his defence the first booking was a total nonsense decision.

ShinjiNinja26

Had a feeling he was gonna get sent off after his first booking, shame as he was playing well recently. Will be a miss for the Wolves game, our midfields really at its bare bones now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's like he's suddenly realised he doesn't need pace, because he's massive and has huge legs, so can just use his body as an obstacle and stride away when necessary.

Red card was annoying, but in his defence the first booking was a total nonsense decision.
You're not kidding, no consistency from the ref, our players had to scream to get the referee to even give us a free kick.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good performance. Total dive for the 1st yellow as well. I'd need to see a replay but it looked like he needed to make the 2nd foul, as we looked short, and we have no pace at the back.

Denis79

I was certain after the first yellow that he would be sent off, had a good game otherwise.

RedIan

Hes been our standout player in recent games and was again tonight. He risked it with that tackle and was a bit foolish. We will miss him saturday and just hope Fernandes steps up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Good performance. Total dive for the 1st yellow as well. I'd need to see a replay but it looked like he needed to make the 2nd foul, as we looked short, and we have no pace at the back.
There was minimal contact on both... Second was a foul, but the city reaction got him booked both times.

Walters_19_MuFc

I know he got sent off and potentially killed the game for us, but he was superb. Forget his finish (which was top class) that was old Matic, and the Matic we've been seeing the last few weeks. Very impressed!

mu4c_20le

I don't blame him for the second foul, it was an instictive tackle especially for a defensive minded player like him. Was immense today.

Nickelodeon

Our team really needs to react more to referee decisions. It is seriously costing us games now. Today on both of Matic's bookings. Similarly on Everton goal at OT.

Matic has really transformed himself though and has become quite reliable in midfield though. Really impressed despite the red. It was a shocking decision to not start him in the first leg and we paid the price in that first half. Shame he'll miss Wolves though.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's in the company of legends getting sent off away at Citeh :)

Was very good again for the most part tonight, shame about the red, will be missed at the weekend.
Actually, on reflection he should never have been sent off. The first was nowhere near a yellow and I'm not even should he really touched Gundogan for the second.

NoPace

If he can keep this up I like him here in a backup capacity
I think the problem is that McTominay and Matic are both good options as a backup #6 for us (Matic needs a ton of rest apparently to not look like a mummy and McTominay just isn't quality enough yet, unclear if he will be, not that there's anything wrong with being a useful backup midfielder) but neither should be first choice.

A cromulent midfield would look like this:

Pogba(Grealish/pure #10 type)-------Bruno(Fred)
---------------Defensive Mid(Mctominay or Matic)----

and then a single injury or suspension or rest to any single midfielder wouldn't completely screw us, and we could play a diamond or 4-4-2 in tougher games if the manager wanted at times as well or it turns out we need Fred's legs because Pogba and Bruno aren't good enough defensively once paired in front of a single DM.

Ace of Spades

He is getting his form back, but I would still be worried about giving him a new contract. Maybe another year or two, but I would still look for a good DM.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good game today. So another blow in midfield since he got suspended for next league game.

predator

Youth NITK
He's a fecking monster of a player imo. I've always rated him but he definitely seemed to have went off the boil abit last season. In person he is one of the best midfielders I've seen. He looks like a nightmare to play against.

So strong, intelligent and can shoot despite not being quick or quick footed.

He is definitely worth keeping.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Our managing of players is really strange. He needs an upgrade, should look in that direction as one of our priority this summer, but as a back-up, squad option with covering solid amount of games he still has more than his place here. Especially the case this season when our midfield options were so poor as even this version of Matic has more composure and grit then most other players.

We ran him into the ground while Jose was here by playing him every single minute and then completely wrote him off once Ole came.

Shame for a red, but it was another good performance.

-Supreme-

I really like his calmness and composure on the ball, there's no reason why we shouldn't activate his 1 year extension

NoPace

Actually, on reflection he should never have been sent off. The first was nowhere near a yellow and I'm not even should he really touched Gundogan for the second.
First was soft but the second he consciously chose to stop a dangerous counter attack with a foul that's always a yellow for me.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
First was soft but the second he consciously chose to stop a dangerous counter attack with a foul that's always a yellow for me.
He intended to, but he didn't actually do a lot.

Andersonson

I love him as a player. Gives everything, smart and a very useful player.

I can really see why he was a favorite for Mourinho, a guy you could rely on. Age has gotten to him, but he could still do a job in certain games for us.

Too bad he got a bit carried away and got a res card, but he showed heart and I like that

TheReligion

Abusive
He can feature here next season for sure. Jose burnt him out and now he's had time to refresh and be used in bits he's showing he's still very capable.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sorry but, I’m already at the point of looking forward to seeing him. He has a few good months in him every season at this stage I think, but definitely can’t do it for the whole year. That said, it seems too much to ask for us to find midfielders who can control and pass a football consistently in a PL tempo match. He is one who can. His legs are gone, but he’ll have a good 3 months at some stage. I’d rather he has them now then we strengthen in January.

He was fecking outstanding in our good run after Ole took over, and even if he can give us 10/12 good league games back-to-back, that may settle us down. He doesn’t have the energy of Scott, of course, but he’s obviously a much better footballer otherwise. Perhaps he and Scott can play together with Pogba even, as I think Scott is better suited to a B2B role. He can then chase the play around rather than hold a position, and his pressing and blocking is more useful. He’s also more of a runner than a ball player, and a DM is a ball-playing role for me.
Master of hindsight been calling for his reintegration from August. We ultimately don’t want to pick and choose the qualities in our DM and eventually just get one who can do it all, but he has some fantastic qualities. He’s one of the victims of us not being very good, because we are always looking for a blame/hate figure. He and Rojo are better than what they have gotten on here in recent times, but I do understand it.

He’s not one for every game, but has a spell in him every season where he rolls it back and looks one of the top DMs around for a period.

Dve

With Matic performing like he has done in 2020, we might see Ole going back to 4-3-3, at least at Old Trafford.

Pogba - Matic - Fernandes

Backrow Singer

When we pick and choose his games, he’s an asset to the side. The issue is when we roll him out every week. In the right games, he’s a good player to have.

I thought he was good tonight again actually. Was a really good goal, nicely stuck.

podurban2

First wasn’t a yellow but second was since it was a good counter attack chance from City.

Bwuk

He’s the only midfielder we’ve got who tries to keep the midfield shape. I’d stop the 4232 and swap to a 433 with him at #6 until Pogba and McTominay are back.

Andersons Dietician

As much as I think he still needs replaced if he can keep mustering performances like this he’s more than welcome to hang around until someone properly ousts him. Even without the contribution of that goal today he was fantastic and unlucky the ref seemed to have it in for him. 3 of the softest fouls I’ve seen and he barely touches him for the 2nd yellow. Ridiculous refereeing.

Eddy_JukeZ

Kevin Friend completely screwed him this game.

He booked him twice for 3 soft fouls. Absurd.

He was very good and has been pretty good lately.

Master Yoda

Another clean sheet for Matic against City, I feel thats more important than scoring the goal considering his role.

I read some people are blaming Matic for the burnley loss which is insane. Matic was the one who created a clear cut chance for Martial. We had 4 sitters waiting in that first half but we just werent clinical enough. I will repeat what I said, we have one of the most overrated attacking players.

The Purley King

Superb tonight and in the last couple of games too.
Have to admit I was in the “his legs have gone” camp but he’s a fantastic player when he’s on it.
Clever passing and great awareness of who is around him. Very unlucky to be sent off tonight given rodri’s incessant fouling being far worse.
Well done Nemanja!

binary bot
Kevin Friend completely screwed him this game.

He booked him twice for 3 soft fouls. Absurd.

He was very good and has been pretty good lately.
It was strange when he immediately called Maguire over after the second foul that was just your typical nothing foul.

LoneStar

Still a very useful player I feel. The only thing is he needs to be managed a bit carefully, and given adequate rest. He can still do a decent job, and his experience would be needed with our squad being very young.

Obiorahking_

I think the problem is that McTominay and Matic are both good options as a backup #6 for us (Matic needs a ton of rest apparently to not look like a mummy and McTominay just isn't quality enough yet, unclear if he will be, not that there's anything wrong with being a useful backup midfielder) but neither should be first choice.

A cromulent midfield would look like this:

Pogba(Grealish/pure #10 type)-------Bruno(Fred)
---------------Defensive Mid(Mctominay or Matic)----

and then a single injury or suspension or rest to any single midfielder wouldn't completely screw us, and we could play a diamond or 4-4-2 in tougher games if the manager wanted at times as well or it turns out we need Fred's legs because Pogba and Bruno aren't good enough defensively once paired in front of a single DM.
Couldn't have said it any better. I have a saved formation with this exact set up.

Dinghy

I actually think he's looked a lot better when he's gotten a good run of games and not much rest. It was the same last season when he played a big part in our winning streak, then he got injured and only played occationally for the rest of the season and was mostly poor.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
After de Gea, easily our best performer. Played well now for 3-4 games on the trot. Delighted for him. Never understood the amount of ridicule and disrespect he's gotten on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.