g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Nemanja Matić - Manchester United player

What are your thoughts on this deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedDevil@84

How do you think your time at Utd will do?
How do you like working under the manager?
How will you feel when you walk into Old Trafford for the first time?
Do you think you can help the team?
Do you think this team will be able to win titles?

Not that I have a different set of questions to ask, but what do you expect the guy to say. That it sucks to come here. And everyone's screwed.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I personally think we now have the best midfield in the league, with Herrera, Pogba, Matic and the back up of Perreira and Fellaini/Carrick we have a mixture power, skill and more importantly a real game changing unit.

If we can get a game change in the LW position, someone like Perisic then we will not be far away from wnning the PL.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If Matic allows Pogba to play at his most natural and freely and also allows Herrera to do the same then he'll be a brilliant signing, you only need to look at how both play with Carrick protecting them to see the value someone playing the same role but being able to play weekly adds to the team.
i saw Carrick perform the same role last season.
So, what will Matic do, which Carrick didn't, to enable Pogba to be set free?
Matic is a slow lanky player who is going to do exactly what Carrick did....and Carrick didn't set Pogba free.

Why do people keep saying this?

Nik70

He's a great signing. He will do a better job dominating midfield than Carrick does and he is technically better than Fellaini.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Matic is a slow lanky player who is going to do exactly what Carrick did....and Carrick didn't set Pogba free.

fixed

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Why are you whispering it?

AdnanRED

Heee is a Red, he is a Red...
Ohhh Nemanjester Matic he is a Red

redsunited

What's his passing range like? I see a lot of people saying he's carricks replacement but I assume that's only because he's a dmf and not a like for like replacement
He is not a passer like a playmaker like Fabregas. In terms of Defensive Midfielders who could actually defend, he is the best passer who we could get.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think Chelsea have made a blunder selling us this guy and I say that from a neutral perspective. I remember when City played Chelsea in Mourinhos first season back and Matic was immense. I think they won one nil with a goal from Ivanovic.

I was Chelsea I would have sold him to a team abroad.

redsunited

A 3- year contract for a 40mil signing seems ridiculous. I had hopes of us getting Dendoncker but I'm happy to give Matic a chance.
We needed a first XI player. There is a high possibility of Dendoncker to be like a Depay signing as he didn't have any proven experience in top leagues or champions league or international football. It is a risk which we couldn't take.

For the club, 3 year + 1 year extension option is better than a 4 year contract as we have the insurance option to extend it only when everything goes well. (As we didn't extend for Zlatan after injury)

Roberto420

Good luck Nemanja (except when you'll be playing Chelsea, of course). Nice guy, solid player, won two titles, fetched a nice fee, can't complain.
Classy

Out of interest what season do you think was matic's best for Chelsea I didnt catch much of chelsea last year but the season before the Mourinho collapse I thought he was far and above the best DM in the Prem his distribution his footballing intelligence in being in the right place at the right time and pressing opponent midfielder's and for a lad 6,4 he can actually dribble and has brilliant technique for a big man, I genuinely think he was easily the best DM in England and amoung the best in Europe too at the time

Another question more about the systems that suit him and did conte's style not suit Matic's like Mourinho's?

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
I like his shirt number :D. Pity he didn't cost that, but well, it looks like we're a bit desperate. Hope he doesn't turn out to be a slow DM, which could be problematic (accidental pun :nervous:).

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Great player in his prime, absolute cheeky signing who will be one of our best players in the team. Super experienced and proven league winner. I don't understand some of the negativity.

Gasolin

£35M + £5M add-ons, not so bad... but I also don't fully get the enthusiasm for Matic replacing Carrick and providing more to Herrera and Pogba. Maybe he will, but Carrick was already supposed to be this DM and it didn't necessarily set Pogba and, to a lesser extend, Herrera, on fire. Unless Matic brings a tactical dimension that is different, like maybe a better positioning than Carrick when United needs to get the ball back?

stu_1992

Good signing. Yes he may not be the popular Fabinho choice, but I never really had an issue with us going for either him or Dier as I think they are both very good players. Very happy we have a proper defensive midfielder, and I do hope this takes the shackles off Pogba especially a little bit. Proven in the Premier League and has a lot of experience. Decent fee and not stuck with a long contract. I see a lot of positives to this and I wish him the best. Hoping for a first appearance in Dublin on Wednesday.

Roberto420

£35M + £5M add-ons, not so bad... but I also don't fully get the enthusiasm for Matic replacing Carrick and providing more to Herrera and Pogba. Maybe he will, but Carrick was already supposed to be this DM and it didn't necessarily set Pogba and, to a lesser extend, Herrera, on fire. Unless Matic brings a tactical dimension that is different, like maybe a better positioning than Carrick when United needs to get the ball back?
In fairness there is a 6 year age gap,Carrick has been a great servant but has been coming to the end of his career for a while now imo Matic is a far better player and can cover ground alot quicker than Carrick.

We have 3 top class center midfielders first time in ages I think Matic will end up being a fans favourite especially if pogba starts excelling like we know he can.

I think this signing will mean our forward players have licence to attack and hopefully more goals will be the end result as well as being defensively solid.

Jaybomb

For those saying he's not a "flash player"... what is a flash player?

He's a CDM. How many CDM's are "flashy"? He's probably the second best in the league after Kante.

I'm struggling to think of anyone we could have got that would have been better. Dier and Fabinho aren't better in my opinion.

Fabinho could still be bought for the RB spot though.

EyeInTheSky

For those saying he's not a "flash player"... what is a flash player?

He's a CDM. How many CDM's are "flashy"? He's probably the second best in the league after Kante.

I'm struggling to think of anyone we could have got that would have been better. Dier and Fabinho aren't better in my opinion.

Fabinho could still be bought for the RB spot though.
its an outdated web technology that plays crappy animated games.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Interesting point, is it possible to verify how many games have they played together as 3? Don't recall many but it's worth checking.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Good. He was world class in Mourinho's title winning side and pretty much kept Fabregas on the bench last year, even though it was because he fitted manager's vision better.

His left is quite good by the way, decent passer of the ball and a hell of a strike, which is a great bonus

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Beast. We won't concede a single goal next season it seams

When Carrick was in form that's exactly what happened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ogba-Jose-Mourinho-s-men-won-game-played.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...key-to-paul-pogba8217s-manchester-united-form

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...shield-that-has-allowed-paul-pogba-to-thrive/

Rio was also banging on about it in December, Pogba's form improved dramatically once Carrick was introduced. Sadly Carrick couldn't maintain that form for the full second half of the season, hence why Matic is a great addition.

Bwuk

The best thing about Matic is regardless of a 2 or 3 man midfield, he suits anything.

I wouldn't actually be surprised in some big European games to see something like this

DDG
Bailly - Lindelof - Rojo
Matic
Valencia - Herrera - Pogba - Perisic
Lukaku - Martial​

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Nemanja Woah, Nemanja Woah!!!!! We get to sing our song again!!!!

Astute signing in terms of adaptability to the Premier League and knowing how Mourinho likes to play. Extremely happy with this signing and genuinely think we will sign another two players!

I'm hoping Perisic is a smoke screen.

Happy days so far!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When Carrick was in form that's exactly what happened.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ogba-Jose-Mourinho-s-men-won-game-played.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...key-to-paul-pogba8217s-manchester-united-form

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...shield-that-has-allowed-paul-pogba-to-thrive/

Rio was also banging on about it in December, Pogba's form improved dramatically once Carrick was introduced. Sadly Carrick couldn't maintain that form for the full second half of the season, hence why Matic is a great addition.
Yeah, well said.

Carrick had a brief purple patch last season and we suddenly looked twice the team. As soon his form declined, we completely lost our mojo. If Matic can bring a less classy but more consistent version of last season's Carrick then Pogba is in for a cracker of a season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
According to wiki his height is 1,94

Matic: 1,94
Fellaini: 1,94
Lukaku: 1,90
Pogba: 1,91
Carrick: 1,88

And then there are the centre-backs.

This team has some serious height. We really should be a threat in set-pieces.
Who scored have Matic at 195, Lukaku at 191, Carrick at 189.

We also have Ibra to come back who will be 195 also.

:drool:

stevoc

It's three years with an options, so not far off. If he does well he will have earned that option year.
Yeah but its the clubs option. So if in two years he's on the decline they'll just let his contract expire. But as you say hopefully he does well enough to warrant the extension.

s73vie13

Welcome Matic.

Better price than what was talked about in the press.

I still think there is one more signing to come.