New deal for Mata

Hectic

Supports
30fps
he really is a monster. he wasn’t even going to be offered a new contract. when woodward informed him just started shouting “no contract huh?” “no contract, what?” whilst nipple twisting woodward to within an inch of his life. he only stopped when woodward agreed to double his wages and allow mata a go on his wife. mata didn’t even finish. a really power move to show his disdain for woodward and the club in general.
People wrongfully assume Phil Jones faces of madness came from within for no reason but really they were the instinctual moments of pure terror as he realized what would happen to him once the game was over and Mata was twisting his nipples into oblivion. Poor guy never had a football related injury in his life, it was just Mata having a go on his nips for hours on end whilst screaming in Spanish.

Varun1

BarstoolProphet

All that for him playing like 4 hours next season ? He is not at the level of United quality player.

If he wants to play some football before retirement send him to lesser team to play last full season and then make a deal that he will come back is not impossible to do that.

If that role you mentioned is the main thing give it to him now, he is not good enough to play anymore at that level.

I do not see how he needs to stay here to be an ambassador or else. I am sure there are still teams that he could contribute and have fun with that.
Well, we don't even know the terms of his contract. Also it's hard to say how much he will contribute as he lost a big chunk of the season due do illness and death in his family. Maybe the compromise between Mata, OGS and the club is that he will stay on after his career is over if he gets one more season as a player. I don't see the big problem tbh. If Matic and Jones would have been offered the same, then I could understand the outrage, but Mata seems to be an influential figure off the pitch and might be a great asset in some role for the club.

mustaine

I don’t understand the moaning about his new contract. He’s obviously popular, respected and liked by everyone. He’s a role model, the perfect professional and someone who seems to have the love of everyone (pretty much in football in general). We’re lucky to have him in the dressing room and I hope he joins the coaching staff when he decides to retire. Great servant and looking back to the horror that was happening at Old Trafford not so long ago he always seemed to get what the club is all about, obviously cares about it and has given his all. I’m glad to see him on the payroll. Long may it continue.

Matriac

I've read bits about it before and was quite pleased with that, but has there been any confirmation that he will be taking on a new role after this?
Why would there be any official confirmation on that until he retires as a player?

The focus officially is still on his playing career.
They might have gentleman's agreements in place for what comes after, but no need to distract by going public with it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
They just had to do this. Stupid decision. The guy is just going to take away minutes from youth players in the league cup. He's past it , let it fecking go.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Last season his appearances were limited by his personal issues but the season before that he made 37 appearances, so it's not like he does nothing here. And in the games he did play last season he performed as well as you'd expect a senior squad player to perform.

If the staff think he's worth keeping on for another year on reduced wages then that's fair enough really. It's not like there was any great upside to losing him when we wouldn't be getting a fee or signing a replacement this summer.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
That happened a long time ago. Fergie saw the benefit in keeping certain people around when they’d passed their sell by date if they had a positive influence. See Gary Neville for reference.
It's all a cunning plan to sign Kane.

"Lolwut? You on 200K? You'll be getting that with us when you are 40.

Remember Phil Jones? He is still on our books. To find his form over 5 EPL games you have to trawl back two seasons and it reads W0-D2-L3"

KW2006

We will play lots of game next season, which is after a busy season and a euro, and in some odd cup games we may need some experience to add to the youths.

I guess it would be a rather low base salary plus pay as you play bonus.

mufc90

I must say, I'm very happy about this. Great role model to have around the club for the young lads coming up. With his university degrees in sports science and marketing, his experience with his Common Goal charity, and his reputation within football, he will be a fantastic asset to have around the club once he finishes playing

MyDevil

Good news for me. His off the pitch antics and influences are perhaps overlooked. I think having him around the training ground is already a big positive impact too. Hope to see him being offered some coaching role next year.

TrustInOle

How many outfield players do we have who are actually 30 or over? Matic, Mata and Cavani if I am not mistaken, keeping him around for another year, with how much youth we are trying to integrate, makes perfect sense to me. Happy for him!

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It is strange from Mata's perspective how he seems to be content playing rarely rather than going elsewhere and playing full time. He is not that old and hardly has injury issues so definitely the logic says could play full time elsewhere but he seems to be happy giving hugs.
Quite certain that they've offered some future role in the team after his playing career ends. And I don't think it's something like U-18s coach and the likes, but something more significant.

Based Adnan

Will just take away the little gametime that is available for the likes of Hannibal and Amad. Lovely bloke but poor decision imo. He's not good enough on the pitch anymore.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We will play lots of game next season, which is after a busy season and a euro, and in some odd cup games we may need some experience to add to the youths.

I guess it would be a rather low base salary plus pay as you play bonus.
This. Those moaning about opportunities for youth players are overlooking that a classy, selfless and experienced head can help them along, not hinder them.

Nervous? Give it to Juan. Not having the best game? Smiling Juan has your back and will find some way to help you turn it around. We lost? Mata's fault. Perfect.

Mcking

Gotta have someone to fall back on when Sancho turns out to be a left-winger.

sp_107

I have a feeling he can still contribute in crucial matches next year, having functional Sancho/Rasford/Cavani front line Mata can still unlock defences.
Sancho arrival could be a bonus for intelligent players like Mata

SirAnderson

Yeah, he's never hit the same heights as that 12/13 season at Chelsea unfortunately for us. 19 goals and 35 assists is ridiculous.
Sadly yeah, I think, like with so many other players, the chop and changing of managers and styles affected that to a large extent, still does leave me a bit sad that we didn't get the best out of him. Will forever love him for Juanfield though.

FatTails

Good news! I thought he was underutilized last year, personally, and should’ve been an option when teams would sit deep and Rashford/Martial/Greenwood couldn’t run behind defences.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Since he's staying would be great if Ole could squeeze best Juan Mata football just for one year. In form he was winning matches for us, while having that touch of genius from time to time.

red4ever 79

Not my money. Don't give a feck.

What is good about this is that's he's a fecking great character, a good person and a great spokeperson for Manchester United!

It would be wonderful if he could end his career with us and become a great coach for us.

Role model on and off the pitch.
Exactly what we need to win the premier league

laughtersassassin

Personally think this is somewhat pointless.

I would have Mata and Matic gone seasons ago.

There is little room for sentiment in football.

I just hope Mata won't be the man being subbed on over Amad who needs the time on the pitch.

Castia

Excellent signing. No idea why anyone would be upset by this
Not upset but I want to see the club move on. He’s 33, his legs have gone he should have been released 12 months ago.

I’m not sure this stance of keeping someone around because there a nice guy holds up either it’s professional sport ffs.

Pointless.

Roboc7

Odd decision all round, should have been gone a long time ago, no idea why he wants to stay and hardly ever play. Shows still a lot to improve behind the scenes that club thinks this is a good idea.