Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

I'm a beautiful thing

It just suits everybody's agendas to chastise the Russians why they turn a blind eye to the Saudis who are far worse in my opinion.
I wouldn't say they are far worse, I despise the Saudi and UAE regimes and believe both are guilty of war crimes in the Yemen.
However, the Russians under Putin have followed this plan in Chechnya, Georgia, Syria and now Ukraine, kill thousands of civilians and bring terror.
I have no time for these barbaric regimes at all, Bush and Blair should also be on trial for war crimes

MURED

Not gonna act like I know all about this but the official news is these 81 were part of organizations such as ISIS and Al Qaeda. Apart from the debate on capital punishment, why is it such a big deal?
You are right. Saudi local news actually published their names and crimes. The crimes are organized and horrific.

They’re all prominent members of ISIS, AlQayda or they’ve attempted terrorist activities like blowing up people and buildings. They’ve been in prison for a long time till all the evidence were submitted and investigations and stories are concluded and partners in crime caught.
Only those who were directly involved in killing innocent people were put up for execution (which is why it took a very long time to process and separate who were just there and who actually killed people.
Capital punishment require several validated eye witnesses (minimum of 4 eye witnesses if I understand correctly)).

Source: I’m Saudi and was surprised with the news like everyone one else so I investigated.

any1ared

It just suits everybody's agendas to chastise the Russians why they turn a blind eye to the Saudis who are far worse in my opinion.
I guess that’s why one of our morons was holding up a Russian flag at the derby, where songs like ‘f### Ukraine’ were sung too. I found it embarrassing tbh. Let’s get our own house in order before criticising others too much……..

goptun

You are right. Saudi local news actually published their names and crimes. The crimes are organized and horrific.

They’re all prominent members of ISIS, AlQayda or they’ve attempted terrorist activities like blowing up people and buildings. They’ve been in prison for a long time till all the evidence were submitted and investigations and stories are concluded and partners in crime caught.
Only those who were directly involved in killing innocent people were put up for execution (which is why it took a very long time to process and separate who were just there and who actually killed people.
Capital punishment require several validated eye witnesses (minimum of 4 eye witnesses if I understand correctly)).

Source: I’m Saudi and was surprised with the news like everyone one else so I investigated.
I suppose it's merely a happy coincidence that they chose to carry out this mass execution while the rest of the world was distracted by Russia invading Ukraine.

One of the charges was for holding 'deviant beliefs'. What the hell does that mean?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Nothing will happen because the fans don't care enough about where the money is coming from. Football fans value success of their club over these issues, it's sad but true.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I suppose it's merely a happy coincidence that they chose to carry out this mass execution while the rest of the world was distracted by Russia invading Ukraine.

One of the charges was for holding 'deviant beliefs'. What the hell does that mean?
Literally anything they want it to …when they decide they want to have someone killed. It was one of the charges, but more than one of the deaths fell under that conviction, right?
To Silent: Regular people go to the same stands their parents went to, sit in the same seats, sing the same songs. You can’t really expect much different. The onus for screening the ownership is supposed to fall on the league and the government.

stevoc

Whatever floats their boat.

I guess that’s why one of our morons was holding up a Russian flag at the derby, where songs like ‘f### Ukraine’ were sung too. I found it embarrassing tbh. Let’s get our own house in order before criticising others too much……..
I assume there are pictures or videos of that incident yes?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I really hope that’s not true but if it is I now get why tickets aren’t allowed to be sold right now, etc. makes more sense at least.
I admit I have heard stories about sections of the Chelsea fan base in Britain. What makes that especially weird for me is the irony that in America Chelsea has one of the most inclusive and welcoming fanbases you’d ever want to meet. So odd.

I really hope that’s not true but if it is I now get why tickets aren’t allowed to be sold right now, etc. makes more sense at least.
I admit I have heard stories about sections of the Chelsea fan base in Britain. What makes that especially weird for me is the irony that in America Chelsea has one of the most inclusive and welcoming fanbases you’d ever want to meet. So odd.
They're a weird one. Much of their fanbase are the blandest bunch of day trippers you could ever meet but on the other extreme you have this bunch of racist nutcases that give any club firms a run for their money. In my experience with Stamford Bridge there aren't many in the middle and I don't know why.

Newcastle have a very different fanbase on first glance but i guess they haven't been put to the test yet. Dressing up as Saudis was not a good start.

Guy Incognito

Nothing will happen because the fans don't care enough about where the money is coming from. Football fans value success of their club over these issues, it's sad but true.
Yes, the media don't exactly put pressure on club ownership either. If it makes a good watch and 'competitive' league then Sky won't complain.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Literally anything they want it to …when they decide they want to have someone killed. It was one of the charges, but more than one of the deaths fell under that conviction, right?
To Silent: Regular people go to the same stands their parents went to, sit in the same seats, sing the same songs. You can’t really expect much different. The onus for screening the ownership is supposed to fall on the league and the government.

Again, I'm not trying to take sides here but we've all jumped onto some sources and take it for the truth. I could be wrong here and this might actually be just killing 81 folks who were against the government for fun but the official news is they were ISIS and AL Qaeda terrorists who killed people.

From what I see the context of "deviant beliefs" was joining terror organizations.

This will get into whataboutism again, but Saudi has western company in such shady business.

UpWithRivers

The comparisons between Chelsea and Newcastle is not whataboutism its literally the same thing. Football owner + bloody war. Except the Newcastle owner is the actual person in charge of the jets and soldiers that has killed a quarter of a million people. 10,000 of which were children. And thats just the tip of the iceberg of all the other crimes they have committed. But hey they might get some good players in the summer. If the owner could get his dream there will be hangings at half time. Maybe beat some women up. Up the toon!

Gandalf

The comparisons between Chelsea and Newcastle is not whataboutism its literally the same thing. Football owner + bloody war. Except the Newcastle owner is the actual person in charge of the jets and soldiers that has killed a quarter of a million people. 10,000 of which were children. And thats just the tip of the iceberg of all the other crimes they have committed. But hey they might get some good players in the summer. Up the toon!
It is whataboutism. It is not a moral argument here, the war in the Ukraine threatens our security and what the Saudi's are doing does not. The actions taken by the Government are connected to the threat of Putin's ambition spilling over into a full scale European conflict and an attempt to apply pressure on his inner circle to rein him in or take him out. The Government would love us to think they are acting out of moral or ethical concerns but the fact is they could not give a f*** about Ukraine or its people but they do fear Putin and what comes next.

Dr. StrangeHate

Usually means Atheist, Agnostics or LGBT.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It is whataboutism. It is not a moral argument here, the war in the Ukraine threatens our security and what the Saudi's are doing does not. The actions taken by the Government are connected to the threat of Putin's ambition spilling over into a full scale European conflict and an attempt to apply pressure on his inner circle to rein him in or take him out. The Government would love us to think they are acting out of moral or ethical concerns but the fact is they could not give a f*** about Ukraine or its people but they do fear Putin and what comes next.
Well…, THAT isn’t true. The crown prince effectively drives the behavior of most of the middle eastern contingent of OPEC+. Putin has only invaded an area after oil reaches 100 a barrel. Biden and others tried to meet with him about stabilizing the price of oil, which would cut Russia’s legs out from under him, and he refused. He refused to even meet us. He has been meeting with Putin directly instead, and they have vowed solidarity. They are direct allies.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Please, stop parroting the narrative of the media.

In what World do you expect a fan to know where the money is coming from, let alone care?

Simply put, this “sportswashing” nonsense needs to stop, immediately, it stinks of hypocrisy.

Corporations, Political Parties, lobbyists, sports, media, war. Tell me, do you know who funds them? Do you know why they find them and what agenda they want to promote? You don’t and you don’t care because it doesn’t affect you.

RedDevil@84

It is whataboutism
No. Whataboutism is when you try to hide one bad thing by showing some other bad thing. If you say two things are bad, then it is not whataboutism.

You are confusing hypocrisy with whataboutism. Europe cares about Europeans and that is why Putin's aggression is a big thing. Nobody cares a s**t about Yemen or middle east.
At least not enough to call for sanctions on Saudis or to stop/protest against Saudi investment all over the world or to force govts not to arm Saudis year after year with modern weapons.

Gandalf

Well…, THAT isn’t true. The crown prince effectively drives the behavior of most of the middle eastern contingent of OPEC+. Putin has only invaded an area after oil reaches 100 a barrel. Biden and others tried to meet with him about stabilizing the price of oil, which would cut Russia’s legs out from under him, and he refused. He refused to even meet us. He has been meeting with Putin directly instead, and they have vowed solidarity. They are direct allies.
Putin is a lunatic who would willingly go to war with NATO and potentially launch a nuclear strike, MBS has no such notions.

To clarify the point though. If we seize Newcastle MBS would retaliate financially but it will have no impact on the war taking place in Europe now whereas squeezing the oligarchs is a genuine strategy to force Putin to back down or be removed from within. Too much is being made of who is worse and which regime is more abhorrent and none of that has anything to do with the actions being taken.

Gandalf

No. Whataboutism is when you try to hide one bad thing by showing some other bad thing. If you say two things are bad, then it is not whataboutism.

You are confusing hypocrisy with whataboutism. Europe cares about Europeans and that is why Putin's aggression is a big thing. Nobody cares a s**t about Yemen or middle east.
At least not enough to call for sanctions on Saudis or to stop/protest against Saudi investment all over the world or to force govts not to arm Saudis year after year with modern weapons.
I don't agree.

Chelsea are sanctioned and they literally say what about Newcastle, Man City or PSG. Whataboutism and hypocrisy, not mutually exclusive.

Gandalf

In what World do you expect a fan to know where the money is coming from, let alone care?

Simply put, this “sportswashing” nonsense needs to stop, immediately, it stinks of hypocrisy.

Corporations, Political Parties, lobbyists, sports, media, war. Tell me, do you know who funds them? Do you know why they find them and what agenda they want to promote? You don’t and you don’t care because it doesn’t affect you.
In any sane world fans should know and for what its worth I would cease supporting United instantly if they were owned by the UAE, Saudis or Qatar. I get that Chelsea is more complex as the team does not represent Russia and RA is more John Gotti than Hitler but it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth knowing my club was owned by a known criminal.

UpWithRivers

Only a Chelsea or Newcastle or Man City etc fan would say this. Oh but how are we supposed to know! Chelsea are literally sanctioned because of links with Putin and you are still supporting Abramovich. Well some fans anyway. It is a fact about the atrocities of the Newcastle owner. You see any fans walking out? Any staff? Nope. That Scottish team is up in arms for hiring that rapist footballer. But mass murderer. Nope. He brings good players. Fkn ridiculous. And if you cant see that then I am astonished. You cant hide behind the oh how are we supposed to know argument. Its literally everywhere! Just read something.

RedDevil@84

I don't agree.

Chelsea are sanctioned and they literally say what about Newcastle, Man City or PSG. Whataboutism and hypocrisy, not mutually exclusive.
That is not how whataboutism works. Whataboutism means responding to an accusation by making an accusation about something else.

Pointing to a hypocrisy is not whataboutism, just because the words "what about" is used. Asking about the Dier handball when Moss gives the Telles handball is not whataboutism.

Gandalf

That is not how whataboutism works. Whataboutism means responding to an accusation by making an accusation about something else.

Pointing to a hypocrisy is not whataboutism, just because the words "what about" is used. Asking about the Dier handball when Moss gives the Telles handball is not whataboutism.
Russia are invading Ukraine. What about the Saudi's cutting peoples heads off? Whataboutism.

Pickle85

This will take a far longer answer.

If anyone truly understands the history of how we got here (Ukraine I mean), they will see how responsible the US is for what is happening as much as the Russians.
Sorry, just to be clear, you're saying that the US is as responsible as Russia for Russia invading Ukraine?

phelans shorts

This will take a far longer answer.

If anyone truly understands the history of how we got here (Ukraine I mean), they will see how responsible the US is for what is happening as much as the Russians.
That is just absolute bollocks tbf. I’m far from positive about the US but there’s only one person responsible for what’s happening in Ukraine.

The US are far more responsible for the horrific things being seen in the likes of Palestine and Yemen, but that’s a discussion for another time/place.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't agree.

I guess I see whataboutism as a way to deflect or avoid talking about something. I wouldn't consider it whataboutism if the other person agrees with you on this point and then wants to include a similar point into the discussion without taking away from the point you're making.

stevoc

Could be wrong but I believe that poster is claiming that incident happened at the Manchester Derby not at a Chelsea match.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

This is a bizarre response. The funding of politicians, media organisations, lobbyists and sports teams have been topics of focus for as long as I can remember.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

EtH

Shocking the mental gymnastics many will resort to for the sake of football.

flameinthesun

Gotta say I'm not a fan of this narrative that the newcastle fans should not be questioned why they support the owners, theres nothing they could have done, they are just aupporters etc.

They were not presented with a choice of choose the saudis or something bad will happen to them. In that scenario e.g. if you are a russian in russia against the war you can understand why they might not say anthing. But the choice the newcastle fans had was keep the status quo, maybe they get relegated to the championship, maybe the hard times continue (which are not really hard times when compared to the likes of derby etc) or choose the money of the saudis and choose to have their club used to sportswash the saudi state.

Now the newcastle fans would say they have no influence over the owners....Guaranteed if the Newcastle fans marched to St James Park protesting the sale to the Saudis the prem would not have approved it. But they not only did not protest it, they fully endorsed it and used whatever whataboutisms about city, chelsea, psg etc. They as a fan group welcomed the saudis and therefore as a club endorsed all the awful things happening in the saudi state.

For me I've lost all respect for them as a club and any newcastle fan that supports their owners.

Pickle85

must be nice to be brain washed ;)

you have the wings mixed up
They're right though, your original point is utterly ridiculous and waters down the extent to which Russia is responsible for this. But I'm sure you've done hours of internet research so you must be right.