Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

GeorgieBoy

Granted, if you're "top 6" you now have another competitor for spots (in a few years, mind, we're absolute turd atm) and you have every right to be annoyed at your life getting harder in that regard with new moneybags in the league.

But If the only real hurdle for the league to look at was the potential link between KSA<->PIF and the beIN piracy issue, and that got cleared, then I don't really see what cause there is to be angry at him for operating within the rules. And I certainly don't know what justification there would be for calling for his head. The league shouldn't bend or change its rules and find some BS reason to keep PIF out just for the top clubs. I mean, wasn't that going to be the meat of the anti-competition/cartel case as well?

I think he was in a losing position anyway and he'll retire wealthier than 99.99% of the world so at the end of the day it's not really a cosmic injustice.
You're going down, mate.

Their fixtures after Norwich and Burnley at home are horrid.
Feel if they don't win those they will be well adrift by January and may struggle to attract the players to get them out of the bottom three.
£££ may come into it mind.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The current players won't have the fight in them for a relegation scrap because they know they won't be there for long anyway.

Love it.

RoyH1

Emenalo has turned them down.

The Saudis bought a club in the wrong city. They're going to have to massively overpay for getting talent up to Newcastle. They would have been better off trying to buy West Ham or offer Kroenke a stupendous amount for Arsenal.

youmeletsfly

The Saudis bought a club in the wrong city. They're going to have to massively overpay for getting talent up to Newcastle. They would have been better off trying to buy West Ham or offer Kroenke a stupendous amount for Arsenal.
I don't think it's the City, it's just the fact they're doing so bad and might relegate and people might be sensitive to join the Saudis, given how the whole takeover was painted in the media and how the rest of the EPL clubs reacted to it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Would relegation be so bad for Newcastle?

The Saudi's have a bottomless pit of money and can absorb any financial woes the Geordies may face. Moreover, it allows them a reset in a league where they can dominate. The best Championship talents will be clamouring to join Newcastle if they can't join Premier League clubs, essentially NUFC will be seen as an almost guaranteed ride to the Premier League. They can also build a strong winning mentality by being dominant which will go over well with fans and create a strong springboard for their return to the Premier League.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

The Saudi's have a bottomless pit of money and can absorb any financial woes the Geordies may face. Moreover, it allows them a reset in a league where they can dominate. The best Championship talents will be clamouring to join Newcastle if they can't join Premier League clubs, essentially NUFC will be seen as an almost guaranteed ride to the Premier League. They can also build a strong winning mentality by being dominant which will go over well with fans and create a strong springboard for their return to the Premier League.
Was thinking the same thing.

Back in the day a team could benefit long-term from going down (like United did in the 70s). Then came the Sky era - and things changed dramatically. Getting relegated became synonymous with losing out on an insane amount of money - and for most teams that will be of great importance (of course).

However, Newcastle aren't like most teams: they can easily afford losing out on a season's worth of TV money - and so the equation suddenly becomes a different one. They might actually benefit long-term from going down: promotion could give them a real boost (plus it's a good story - everyone's eyes will be on them as they aim to bounce back, it's a great PR angle).

So, great as it sounds from a "feck the Saudis" perspective - them going down may not be the best thing from a...er..."feck the Saudis" perspective.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Was thinking the same thing.

Back in the day a team could benefit long-term from going down (like United did in the 70s). Then came the Sky era - and things changed dramatically. Getting relegated became synonymous with losing out on an insane amount of money - and for most teams that will be of great importance (of course).

However, Newcastle aren't like most teams: they can easily afford losing out on a season's worth of TV money - and so the equation suddenly becomes a different one. They might actually benefit long-term from going down: promotion could give them a real boost (plus it's a good story - everyone's eyes will be on them as they aim to bounce back, it's a great PR angle).

So, great as it sounds from a "feck the Saudis" perspective - them going down may not be the best thing from a...er..."feck the Saudis" perspective.
I think the Saudis are in it for the long term like City so it will be a bloody nose but nothing more unfortunately. They could however make a series of bad decisions which keeps them in the championship which would be funny but when you've got unlimited wealth you can keep spending till you get it right.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
They could however make a series of bad decisions which keeps them in the championship which would be funny but when you've got unlimited wealth you can keep spending till you get it right.
It would be glorious - but it's gonna take some seriously poor decision making.

If I were them - and they do go down - I'd probably just stick with Howe (who knows what it takes to win the Championship) and keep adding players.

atkar83

My monkey brain doesn't understand that tweet. It seems to say one thing but then say it results in the exact opposite. Why would premier league teams be ok with Saudis getting funds in from their own companies?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
My monkey brain doesn't understand that tweet. It seems to say one thing but then say it results in the exact opposite. Why would premier league teams be ok with Saudis getting funds in from their own companies?
Isn't this already happening with City? Nothing new really.

RedTiger

Half mast

I agree with you. A year in the championship would allow them to rebuild in a more stable way. They could easily buy the 10 best up coming talents in the football league and supplement that with mature players nearing the end of their careers who wouldnt mind a 2 year contract which would allow promotion and a year of rebedding into the prem.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Maybe I'm wrong but I think it means that Newcastle can't just magically get a sponsorship deal that blows all the other existing ones out of the water without the PL sanctioning it, which they probably would anyway

Chipper

Adulterer.

Different league now, but that reminds me of what they did in the early 90's when they came up with John Hall investing in them.

They paid more for Andy Cole than we did for Cantona and their net spend in the 2nd tier was bigger than all top-flight clubs apart from Blackburn. Spent more following promotion and came up flying didn't they? Finished 3rd.

FFP not around then and more well established clubs to to compete against but I suppose they could do it on a lesser level. Sunderland did well when they came up with Quinn/Phillips partnership along similar lines.

Infra-red

The other Premier League clubs want some investment in Newcastle by the Saudis, because some of that money will inevitably find its way to those clubs via transfer fees. At the same time, they don't want Newcastle to become a financial behemoth with a ludicrous £1.5bn Aramco stadium sponsorship deal.

The "fair market value" cap ensures that the other Premier League clubs still get their hands on some of that Saudi money, without having to worry that Newcastle might win the next 15 Premier League titles in a row.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Newcastle fan makes the argument that the only way to stop City dominating for the next 20 years is to relax all the rules and let Newcastle run amok with their money.

FujiVice

81 executions yesterday. The biggest mass killing in a single day for decades. How did this country allow this take over to go ahead? Shameful.

Giggsy13

81 executions yesterday. The biggest mass killing in a single day for decades. How did this country allow this take over to go ahead? Shameful.
The premier league is just full of greed and scum, so it will reflect in their owners as well.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's fine. It took everyone decades to realise Russian money was dirty, so in another 1 or 2 decades, they might think about Newcastle.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The false equivalence between the Galzers and this regime is a disgrace.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It just suits everybody's agendas to chastise the Russians why they turn a blind eye to the Saudis who are far worse in my opinion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It just suits everybody's agendas to chastise the Russians why they turn a blind eye to the Saudis who are far worse in my opinion.
Far worse than invading another country and displacing millions of people? Plus bombing kids hospitals?!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well when your country sells them lethal weapons, maintains strong diplomatic ties and lets their princes and queens shop in Harrods and buy houses in Kensington, maybe buying a football club isn't that huge of a leap?

Maybe.

Great answer to a silly question.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe the PL clubs should have a minutes silence for the people killed in Yemen and by the Saudis in their own country. That would put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Maybe the PL clubs should have a minutes silence for the people killed in Yemen and by the Saudis in their own country. That would put a cat amongst the pigeons.
Would love this but they have no morals. Individual players should do it and put it in the press though.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Not gonna act like I know all about this but the official news is these 81 were part of organizations such as ISIS and Al Qaeda. Apart from the debate on capital punishment, why is it such a big deal?

any1ared

pots n kettles………….

The Saudi Arabian regime have been helping to fund Manchester United since 2008, twelve years!
Their deal with state owned Saudi Telecom is the ‘longest running of all our commercial partners’ this Manchester United official statement says below in 2017. That comment made as Man Utd launched another revenue stream from the Saudi regime, ‘the General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia’ in partnership with Manchester United.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
pots n kettles………….

The Saudi Arabian regime have been helping to fund Manchester United since 2008, twelve years!
Their deal with state owned Saudi Telecom is the ‘longest running of all our commercial partners’ this Manchester United official statement says below in 2017. That comment made as Man Utd launched another revenue stream from the Saudi regime, ‘the General Sports Authority of Saudi Arabia’ in partnership with Manchester United.
and how many are happy with the ownership of Manchester United?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
pots n kettles………….

We're not owned by the Saudis, we only take their money. On average that makes us culpable for about 0.36 executions per year, that's a major amputation. Not comparable to Newcastle being wholly owned by the executioner (I hear he'll be at St James in 2 weeks)