Newcastle United now owned by the PIF | PL receives "legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control NUFC" ;)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
There's an ever so slight difference between some temporarily having a minor sponsor amongst 100s of others, pre full details of their regime emerging, versus being totally bankrolled by that regime.
Ah come on now, its not like anyone thought they were sweetness and light before Khashoggi. It's been a brutal and openly horrible regime for a very, very long time.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ah come on now, its not like anyone thought they were sweetness and light before Khashoggi. It's been a brutal and openly horrible regime for a very, very long time.
Wait till he notice that Saudi Arabia have been doing businesses with tons of countries around the globe like Germany,Canada,Japan,Italy,China,South Korea,India,Algeria, Pakistan,Mexico, Philippines,France,Thailand,Turkey,etc

Countries not to visit for that guy...i guess.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The hypocrisy around this Newcastle deal can fill the quota for a whole political party for a few years. Christ on a bike.

Levi1

The hypocrisy around this Newcastle deal can fill the quota for a whole political party for a few years. Christ on a bike.
If anyone can explain to me why the Beinsports concern was a hindrance to the deal, even though the PIF is nominally a separate entity from the Saudi government, I will give them a sweetie. It's not as though the PIF is in charge of the broadcasting policies of the state? Hmm I wonder if it has anything to do with money?

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If anyone can explain to me why the Beinsports concern was a hindrance to the deal, even though the PIF is nominally a separate entity from the Saudi government, I will give them a sweetie. It's not as though the PIF is in charge of the broadcasting policies of the state? Hmm I wonder if it has anything to do with money?
I didn't follow that particular topic but Qatar and Saudi Arabia are in conflict over almost everything since the 70s. Now keep in mind that Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy, the government is the King and the King is the Chairman of the PIF. The issue isn't money and no one can actually fix it, they will take potshots at each others whenever they can.

Levi1

I didn't follow that particular topic but Qatar and Saudi Arabia are in conflict over almost everything since the 70s. Now keep in mind that Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy, the government is the King and the King is the Chairman of the PIF. The issue isn't money and no one can actually fix it, they will take potshots at each others whenever they can.
My point is that if the crown prince being chairman of the PIF is not a concern for issues of morality, then it ought to be equally irrelevant with regard to Saudi Arabia endeavoring to break Beinsports broadcast rights. Yet we saw that the league cared about one and not the other

JPRouve

Scout
My point is that if the crown prince being chairman of the PIF is not a concern for issues of morality, then it ought to be equally irrelevant with regard to Saudi Arabia endeavoring to break Beinsports broadcast rights. Yet we saw that the league cared about one and not the other
I don't follow your point. Beinsports are the ones who complained to the EPL and since they are in business with eachothers the EPL can hardly ignore them. The morality issue is something that only concerns the EPL itself, there isn't a third party to deal with.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Gotta love the short memories of the English. If they are so mad, then they shouldn’t have artificially created Saudi Arabia after WWI.

Sorry KSA, you have to wait a couple of generations so western Europeans will forget about your atrocities that led to your wealth like they conveniently do with their own countries.

JPRouve

Scout
Gotta love the short memories of the English. If they are so mad, then they shouldn’t have artificially created Saudi Arabia after WWI.

Sorry KSA, you have to wait a couple of generations so western Europeans will forget about your atrocities that led to your wealth like they conveniently do with their own countries.
To be fair most current english weren't around during WWI, so their memories aren't at fault.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

99% current british weren't alive when Saudi Arabia was created, at least not old enough to have a conscience.

Wanna blame current turks for the atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire?

You american, right? Do i blame you for all the countries where America has interfered in(putting dictators in power) since WW2 ended?

Rightnr

Erm, I'm pretty sure most people crying about this deal are employees of EPL clubs.

And while I cannot be arsed to go fact check specifically, I'm sure most EPL teams are not owned by English people.

This is all about money. All these small, medium and huge-sized EPL clubs are scared of the new behemoth who can overtake them in double-quick time.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
they shouldn’t have artificially created Saudi Arabia after WWI
That’s not quite how it happened. During the war one centre of power in the British empire - Delhi - supported the already existing (third) Saudi state, contrary to the policy of a rival centre - Cairo - which supported the Saudis' Hashimite rivals. After the war the Saudis ultimately defeated the Hashimite kingdom (1925), and the British then set about attempting to limit further Saudi incursions on Iraq, Yemen, Oman and the Trucial States (what became the UAE). In this way Saudi Arabia’s modern borders came to be mostly formalized through British mediation by the 1930s, although there were further disputes with Oman and the Trucial States which played out in the 50s.

pacifictheme

99% current british weren't alive when Saudi Arabia was created, at least not old enough to have a conscience.

Wanna blame current turks for the atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire?

You american, right? Do i blame you for all the countries where America has interfered in(putting dictators in power) since WW2 ended?
Americans as a nation are massive war mongers so tbf they are more complicit than most other countries civilians when it comes to their countries atrocities.

tomaldinho1

Yh it kind of exposes the oxymoronic nature of the thread title.

Meanwhile...

:lol: Not even attempted to hide it anymore

OldSchoolManc

The whole thing is/was a massive disgrace and a permanent stain on english football. I hope it was the straw that broke the camels back with this stuff.

How on earth was a regime like that invited to take part in the PL.
I‘m afraid it’s all too late to close the stable door. The camel has bolted

ariveded

It was already a monopoly, and total imbalance before Newcastle takeover. I don't understand the outrage.

Clubs who are owned by the big foreign and political people, are now talking about morality, and sportsmanship.

Rightnr

Funny how some go on about disgrace this and that. London has been the hotspot for foreign money laundering for decades (it's spreading out now) and somehow football clubs are a bigger problem than messing up the local population's ability to afford housing.

The horse hasn't already bolted, he's completed the race and is back in the stable

Oranges038

Funny how some go on about disgrace this and that. London has been the hotspot for foreign money laundering for decades (it's spreading out now) and somehow football clubs are a bigger problem than messing up the local population's ability to afford housing.

The horse hasn't already bolted, he's completed the race and is back in the stable
At this stage the horse is in a tub of glue somewhere.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Indeed.

London has been the centre of money laundering for rich foreigners from many countries : Qatar,China,Saudi Arabia,United States,Ukraine,Russia,France, Italy,etc.

Kinda late to complain about Saudis taking over a PL club.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Granted, if you're "top 6" you now have another competitor for spots (in a few years, mind, we're absolute turd atm) and you have every right to be annoyed at your life getting harder in that regard with new moneybags in the league.

But If the only real hurdle for the league to look at was the potential link between KSA<->PIF and the beIN piracy issue, and that got cleared, then I don't really see what cause there is to be angry at him for operating within the rules. And I certainly don't know what justification there would be for calling for his head. The league shouldn't bend or change its rules and find some BS reason to keep PIF out just for the top clubs. I mean, wasn't that going to be the meat of the anti-competition/cartel case as well?

I think he was in a losing position anyway and he'll retire wealthier than 99.99% of the world so at the end of the day it's not really a cosmic injustice.

atkar83

Do british teams have enough influence/power to 'advise' UEFA to make it 6 english teams that make it to the Champions League? Eventually the likes of United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, etc will tire of missing out and breaking their budgets when the top 3 teams are all but decided before the season starts. I mean UEFA must have been sweating bullets during the whole Super League fiasco, and while it failed the teams that were ready to bolt are still there.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Do british teams have enough influence/power to 'advise' UEFA to make it 6 english teams that make it to the Champions League? Eventually the likes of United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, etc will tire of missing out and breaking their budgets when the top 3 teams are all but decided before the season starts. I mean UEFA must have been sweating bullets during the whole Super League fiasco, and while it failed the teams that were ready to bolt are still there.
We are never going to have 6 teams good enough for that to happen. The player depth across every league just isn’t there. With more teams going for the same targets the prices will increase further. Teams like spurs Leicester and arsenal will be priced out.

Academies are going to be the future going forward. That doesn’t mean teams like city and United who tend to buy youth players will prosper either because youth prices are also on the rise. Teams developing school boys are going to be successful.