Newcastle United sign Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad for €70m rising to €75m

Jacob

As a Swede, looking forward to see him in the Prem.

Trequarista10

He's quite good but I get the impression Newcastle despite their money aren't the first choice for top players or top talents, so they will end up signing players like this who are good, and who top clubs have looked at, but decided against committing to a transfer. Newcastle will probably end up overpaying as clubs will want to exploit them for all they can. Would make sense for why the signing is quite late in the window, player holds out for other options before deciding to take up Newcastle's offer. I expect they will do one or two more similar deals before the window shuts.

It could work both ways, they may snag some top players before other big clubs are in for the player, but they may overpay for some players who aren't good enough enough to justify that price.

Tiber

Could almost buy two thirds of Antony for that price

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
How do clubs keep things under wraps? We’re as leaky as the Titanic when it comes to transfer news.
Casemiro was kept under wraps quite well.

From the first report to the deal being announced was about 48 hours.

CM

A bit mental but it was inevitable they'd start the big spending sooner rather than later

binary bot
What’s up with the financials of clubs making a fortune from PL transfers? Are some of them now sitting on huge cash reserves?

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
as a swede i think he is overrated.
can have a very long run without scoring but will shine time to time. and score a masterclass.

I think that he will flop. 6 goals in 32 matches last season isnt good enought.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
This would be a hell of a signing for them. I really rate him.
Genuinely interested in why. To be honest I haven't really watched him so I can only go on his stats which do not seem great for a striker as apart from one run in 2021 he doesn't seem to score much. But really interested to hear from someone who knows him as a player.

FrantikChicken

A bit inconsistent but his skillset should be suited to the PL.

Newcastle are getting European football next season.
would be a disappointing season for them if they didn’t. They’ve been one of the top sides in the league since last January and have now added some more quality

MiceOnMeth

60 million pound doesn't sound too insane when he's a striker which are in limited supply, highly rated, only 22 and already scoring goals at international level and will only get better + it's late in the transfer window

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Would it be any more of a gamble and 'mad' than us splashing closer to a 100 million euros for antony? Same age who comes from a worse league and also isn't there yet statistically.

Suvvernmanc

What’s up with the financials of clubs making a fortune from PL transfers? Are some of them now sitting on huge cash reserves?
Ajax are mega cash rich because of sales. They can't spend it as they are not buying for 40, 70 or 100m. They buy from a much cheaper band of players as they can't attract the top top players

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's quite good but I get the impression Newcastle despite their money aren't the first choice for top players or top talents, so they will end up signing players like this who are good, and who top clubs have looked at, but decided against committing to a transfer. Newcastle will probably end up overpaying as clubs will want to exploit them for all they can. Would make sense for why the signing is quite late in the window, player holds out for other options before deciding to take up Newcastle's offer. I expect they will do one or two more similar deals before the window shuts.

It could work both ways, they may snag some top players before other big clubs are in for the player, but they may overpay for some players who aren't good enough enough to justify that price.
I think this is definitely the case. He's a really good player and this is the sort of fee he was always likely to go for, but I thought it'd happen to one of Europe's elite in 1-2 seasons time once he'd stepped up his goalscoring numbers abit.

I think like you mentioned, those clubs have looked at him and decided they aren't willing to commit this amount of money until he takes that step, but for Newcastle it's the sort of gamble they'll have to take early to get these types of players as they - despite their riches - would be unlikely to seriously compete for him next summer I think if he scored 15-20 goals in La Liga this season.

avgp_1

Good player, £60m a bit too high but that's the going rate I suppose for strikers. There aren't a lot of cheap ones out there

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Its a very decent deal in a striker deprived market. They could also sign his international teammate, Forsberg from Leipzig as an alternative to sinking ridiculous money on the likes of Maddison.

troylocker

He is talented, but is he clinical? Goals wild suggest otherwise but would be interested to see his finishing statistics.

I'm surprised to see no one take a chance on Brereton Diaz. He has impressed me a lot when I've watched him.
He had a mare finishing wise last season: Underperformed his non penalty expected goals by 55% (which is terrible) in LaLiga last season.
It was a strange season for Sociedad though, and even though they ended up on 6th and qualified for Europe again, the whole team was horrible in front of goal. They ended up scoring just 40 goals total, finishing 6th, which is some kind of a record.
He has usually been delivering around par when it comes to converting chances in seasons before that though.

Nick7

Good signing, currently a 1 goal in 3 games striker. I thought they'd go for someone a little more clinical

Robbie Boy

I've seen a fair bit of him, and he's definitely a good player, but I'm not really sure he has the potential to be a top player.

LARulz

How do clubs keep things under wraps? We’re as leaky as the Titanic when it comes to transfer news.
I think a combination of our club that leak it deliberately to keep muppets happy and press also linking us to every player going cos agents keep dropping our name

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This kind of breaks the new owner/board policy of slower investment so I'm guessing Callum Wilson's hamstring scan (he came off in the 70th minute against city) might look terrible and forced their hand?

Still pleased with it, mind. :lol:
What policy? It’s literally the first proper window?

fps

Every time I’ve watched him play, I’ve been impressed by him, the tools are there.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Every time I’ve watched him play, I’ve been impressed by him, the tools are there.
Same, and I always felt he would go for a fee in the 50-60m range. This is a good signing for Newcastle.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Probably bought him as they know Callum Wilson will pick up the inevitable injury. That would have left them short. If he can learn to convert more chances he will be a great signing.

redom

They're probably realising that they're going to have to overpay to some extent until they reach the point where they're a more desirable destination for the type of talent they want to target, similar to how City did. If they have a good season I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them break 100 mill next summer on someone.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

It’s the same thing City had, signing Robinho on the last day and he wasn’t entirely sure who City were, Madrid just wanted him out

Ekeke

Huge money... Has potential and can be a handful already, but needs to score more goals before a top club goes for him