Kick-off
Mon, 27 December 2021 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Red00012

After today's results, this is an absolute must win if we're to get into the top 4! Can't afford to be dropping points to shite.
    It’s a must win regardless of what would have or didn’t happen today

Dve

I want to see Shaw in this game. Telles has been ok, but Shaw in form is a better player, and he hasn´t got the chance to play much under Rangnick.

A Civilized Reader

I can't believe we have only seen Ronaldo and Cavani start 1 game together this season which was Spurs away.. which considering Spurs just drew with Liverpool and should have beat them it makes United win even more impressive. And maybe suggests we should start them together upfront more.
    Cavani has been injured since then. That was the only reason why we haven't seen him playing again.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    Well said. Hyperbole as usual on here.
    Hyperbole? The points made have been salient actually. We're 8 points behind an in form arsenal (yes I know we have 3 games in hand) plus we're also behind a spurs team managed by Conte.

Neither of the club's have any European football to contend with. We're under a new management team and so far we've had 30 mins of good football in 2 PL games so who knows what our form will be like. We have to start playing well and consistently and cannot afford to drop anymore silly points. Where exactly is the hyperbole in that?

Lentwood

Aside from the obvious, what is the most important thing we want to see today?

Personally, I would like to see a good, solid defensive performance and a good performance from Rashford.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

Personally, I would like to see a good, solid defensive performance and a good performance from Rashford.
    A cohesive performance all over with some style of play emerging.
    Rashford dropped.

Strats

Rashford does not deserve to start this the way he’s playing and his attitude. I’d even start Elanga or Amad before him.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

Feels like its been such a long time since we won by a huge scoreline, would like a 5/6-0 man city type performance! I'm hungover and tired AF so would love an entertaining, high scoring game!

Ixion

If we dont win this one major doubts will rise about Ragnick.
    No they won't. Not only will it inevitably take time to re-program the players he's been here 5 minutes and lots of it disrupted by Covid.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    De Gea
    Dalot — Varane — Maguire — Telles
    McTominay — Fred
    Sancho — Fernandes
    Greenwood — Ronaldo​

I hope. But I think Rashford will start and it’ll be the same unchanged XI — assuming everyone is fit/with the squad. Edit: not sure about Lindelof, maybe Varane does come straight in

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    Gone for a Newcastle home victory. They haven't had that big result yet under Howe and you know what teams are like when they play us.
    2-1 Newcastle, plus our play in the Norwich wasn't exactly promising.

Think we're going to be in for abit of a topsy-turvy time with Ralph this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Are the Longstaves still a thing?

RedDevilRoshi

Seems like an eternity since the last time we played. Great to have both Varane & Cavani back and hopefully both players can stay fit. Looking forward to this.

Starting XI

De Gea

Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Telles

Van De Beek - Fred

Sancho - B.Fernandes

Cavani - Ronaldo​

subs: Henderson, Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay, Matic, Lingard, Greenwood, Rashford, Elanga

Score Prediction: Newcastle United 1-3 Manchester United

Red Royal

Seems like an eternity since the last time we played. Great to have both Varane & Cavani back and hopefully both players can stay fit. Looking forward to this.

Starting XI

De Gea

Van De Beek - Fred

Sancho - B.Fernandes

Cavani - Ronaldo​

subs: Henderson, Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay, Matic, Lingard, Greenwood, Rashford, Elanga

Have a feeling that AWB may be back for this, to combat the one real Newcastle threat that is Saint- Maxim

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
    This is as important for next season as this one. We don’t just want to finish top four this season, Newcastle need to be taken out of the equation for another year or two by being banished to the Championship. Let’s do our bit.

TJ Reid

Supports
    Arsenal
    Hyperbole? The points made have been salient actually. We're 8 points behind an in form arsenal (yes I know we have 3 games in hand) plus we're also behind a spurs team managed by Conte.

Neither of the club's have any European football to contend with. We're under a new management team and so far we've had 30 mins of good football in 2 PL games so who knows what our form will be like. We have to start playing well and consistently and cannot afford to drop anymore silly points. Where exactly is the hyperbole in that?
    Very valid points - you’ve got to give your new manager time to work out his best team and the style of play that suits them best. You’ve a great squad of individual talents but I haven’t a clue how best to use them so I’d be patient while Rangnick works through the permutations.

Cathy Ferguson

We must improve on our performance against Norwich if we are to get the 3 points, that is for sure. Not least Bruno and Sancho need to start dominate games against teams in the bottom half. Our main problem is a lack of true quality players at the full back positions and in midfield.

Marwood

For it to click in the forward positions.

Defensively we will ultimately get sorted.

But the attacking play is a trickier problem to solve.

Godfather

Starting XI

De Gea

Van De Beek - Fred

Sancho - B.Fernandes

Cavani - Ronaldo​

I'd go with that as well. Probably Shaw instead of Telles.

RuudTom83

No they won't. Not only will it inevitably take time to re-program the players he's been here 5 minutes and lots of it disrupted by Covid.
    You still believe supporters and the media have an ounce of common sense?

If United lose today there will be a mass over reaction like there is every time United drop points.

SonyaCross493

Newcastle played 4 defenders at the back against Manchester City and attacked them.. Newcastle better not go to 5 defenders at the back just because the name and reputation of Manchester United are rolling into town. Otherwise it'll be a long night.

if Newcastle stick to the same formation and attack as against Manchester City it will be a great game.. if they shite themselves and go 5 at the back I'll be disappointed as it will spoil what could be a really good open game of football with chances for both teams.

these type of games are a free hit for Newcastle as these are not the types of games that they need to win. So atleast make it enjoyable, open and attack!

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks

Starting XI

De Gea

Van De Beek - Fred

Sancho - B.Fernandes

Cavani - Ronaldo​

McTom has been really promising under Ralph and you want him binned from the first 11 in place of...Beek ?
    o...........k

Red Royal

I just looked up Newcastle injury list and seems they have a few defenders out. Hopefully we can capitalise and we get to hear Siiiiiiuuuuuuu a few times tonight. Can't wait for this, its been so long!

Longshanks

Are the Longstaves still a thing?
    If your talking about the longstaffs? Shaun longstaff the one we nearly signed a couple of seasons ago is still at Newcastle and playing fairly regular this season I think. His brother Matt longstaff who has 3 PL goals to his name all of them against us is now at Aberdeen I think so at least we won't have to contend with the one who only plays well against us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    If your talking about the longstaffs? Shaun longstaff the one we nearly signed a couple of seasons ago is still at Newcastle and playing fairly regular this season I think. His brother Matt longstaff who has 3 PL goals to his name all of them against us is now at Aberdeen I think so at least we won't have to contend with the one who only plays well against us.
    Matt Longstaff has been recalled back :nervous:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Individually they are Longstaff, collectively Longstave.

RedDevilRoshi

He’s been recalled now as wasn’t getting a game at Aberdeen. Basically was there VDB.

tomaldinho1

Very intriguing as to who will start up top
    Fingers crossed we’re good to go ahead

Matt851

I really hope we move away from the 4222 today. I just don't think it will work well enough for us through the rest of the season so worry about how we will do if ralf persists with it. Its also a bit of a strange situation if ralf spends months embedding a new system that won't be used by any of the potential incoming managers

Walters_19_MuFc

A win is the main thing but I do want to see a good performance today. Thought we were excellent against Palace, more so off the ball than on it, but against Norwich, we fell back into bad habits, which has been our downfall over the last few seasons.

Today, we need to be dominating the ball on and off it.

It seems RR wants to continue with a 4222, but I'm not so sure if the balance is correct. I guess it will take some time for him to figure it out but not sure Bruno works in a wide attacking midfielder role, and Rashford and Ronaldo as a pair doesn't really work for me.

I do think RR will most likely start with the same team. All managers want to play their best players and he's probably hoping that it will fall into place, but I personally feel some changes need to be made for our attacking to start clicking.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions