Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I've been thinking about good players who don't see much draft action and how we could push them into the limelight by combining a couple of concepts into a Mavericks and Liabilities Draft.
  • Mavericks - you are allocated a maverick and must build your attack around that player. Voting to include an assessment on how well you've built a team around your maverick. (Typical example of a Maverick could be Cantona)
  • Liabilities - you are allocated a classic draft liability and must both build around their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. Voters asked to consider how well you've done that. (Typical liability could be Ramos).
The idea here is that many of the great mavericks are regularly overlooked, usually because of the depth in quality in their more central attacking positions, and also because they had some flaws either in character or in trophy cabinet compared to the glittering CVs of the GOATs. In the same vein, there is a group of players who are almost suicidal picks because, while they had some impressive strengths, they could cost their team with their style of play and, generally, drafters give them a wide berth. So with both the Mavericks and the Liabilities the best way for them to see some draft action, is to force people to, not only use them, but build their teams around them.

Other than that, I'm not precious on the format, but I think it would make sense to be a fairly standard snake draft to allow some team-building, with the option of a small block list so the Maverick and Liability are not completely overshadowed by the quality around them. Another option could be to nominate your own maverick, within reason, if there was a player who you really wanted to build a homage towards.

Thoughts?
Love it. The liability spots might be tough to fill though. Struggling to think of that many who compare with Ramos, in terms of their wider reputation being so at odds with their in-the-mud draft status. It might be advantageous if we could have the liabilities all filling one or at most two positions to avoid one manager having a voter red flag in a key position and another getting away with having a dodgy keeper or flakey winger for example.

CBs: Ramos, Terry, Koeman, Hierro
Midfield: Nobby, Gerrard, Seedorf, Lampard, Gattuso

Just thinking out loud with those names, and having my reservations even with those!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
At the start of the draft you get assigned one maverick and one liability, every RR you get additional liability so instead 2 upgrades you get one upgrade and one player that will challenge you.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Please spam ideas of liabilities and mavericks so we can get a good list. Also remember the liabilities actually have to be decent players but with one or so flaws (at least that is my understanding of Gio's suggestion)

Šjor Bepo

so mcfred is out of the picture..

stevie g, pogba, ramos, pepe, pique, trent, henderson, bruno fernandes, ince, kane,

BIG DUNK

Tank
Mavericks:

Stojković, Sušić, Prosinečki, Savićević, Šekularac, Mijatović, Jugović, Jerković, Aćimović, Petrović...

Kipiani, Gavrilov, Zavarov, Buryak...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
tbf we need to ask @Gio what he had in mind as id have someone like Didi and Koeman there but then they are probably better then the maverick so its not a good idea.
Koeman was on my liability list. As were a few others you, Sjor, Pat and Edgar suggested - Trent, Pogba, Terry, Gerrard, Suurbier. I also had Santamaria, Eyzaguirre, Marcelo, Frank De Boer, Montero, Couto along with Ramos. Busquets a possibility as well. Pat makes a good point about similar positions to ensure fairness and I agree with your idea about accommodating a second liability as part of the reinforcement rounds.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I've been thinking about good players who don't see much draft action and how we could push them into the limelight by combining a couple of concepts into a Mavericks and Liabilities Draft.
  • Mavericks - you are allocated a maverick and must build your attack around that player. Voting to include an assessment on how well you've built a team around your maverick. (Typical example of a Maverick could be Cantona)
  • Liabilities - you are allocated a classic draft liability and must both build around their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. Voters asked to consider how well you've done that. (Typical liability could be Ramos).
The idea here is that many of the great mavericks are regularly overlooked, usually because of the depth in quality in their more central attacking positions, and also because they had some flaws either in character or in trophy cabinet compared to the glittering CVs of the GOATs. In the same vein, there is a group of players who are almost suicidal picks because, while they had some impressive strengths, they could cost their team with their style of play and, generally, drafters give them a wide berth. So with both the Mavericks and the Liabilities the best way for them to see some draft action, is to force people to, not only use them, but build their teams around them.

Other than that, I'm not precious on the format, but I think it would make sense to be a fairly standard snake draft to allow some team-building, with the option of a small block list so the Maverick and Liability are not completely overshadowed by the quality around them. Another option could be to nominate your own maverick, within reason, if there was a player who you really wanted to build a homage towards.

Thoughts?
Great idea, man

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
to make it easier and fair, why don't every team get the same liability and maverick players. Then change them in every stage.

Šjor Bepo

to make it easier and fair, why don't every team get the same liability and maverick players. Then change them in every stage.
its more fun and interesting if its different....not the fairest i agree but does anyone care about result at this point, after million drafts we played

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
its more fun and interesting if its different....not the fairest i agree but does anyone care about result at this point, after million drafts we played
No problem, I just found it hard to make a comprehensive list.

Šjor Bepo

One club draft? That was fun the first time, maybe we block some top clubs to make it more difficult....
Chain drafts are fun as well....

Šjor Bepo

also, had a brilliant idea....how about a @Zlatan 7 draft?

We have a normal draft order 1-16 that doesnt change but every round all teams go on random and you pick a player for a different team not knowing who will get which team in the end? Could be fun and Zlatan might actually win a round if he gets a team with zero of his picks :D

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
also, had a brilliant idea....how about a @Zlatan 7 draft?

We have a normal draft order 1-16 that doesnt change but every round all teams go on random and you pick a player for a different team not knowing who will get which team in the end? Could be fun and Zlatan might actually win a round if he gets a team with zero of his picks :D
:lol: Get fecked

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
If you'd bee interested, I'd (perhaps team up with someone experienced and co-) host 'the Zoo draft'. Don't chicken out of yet, don't duck for a cover, I gull you not!
Sheep and snakes are known modes, I'll add cuckoo and moray eel modes for a change. Pssst for now of course!
Draft criteria would be round-specific animals, everything else known to you, which basically means I copycat from the most recent ones.
At the end, losers may lark, and the winner peacock in front of the crowd.

Himannv

If you'd bee interested, I'd (perhaps team up with someone experienced and co-) host 'the Zoo draft'. Don't chicken out of yet, don't duck for a cover, I gull you not!
Sheep and snakes are known modes, I'll add cuckoo and moray eel modes for a change. Pssst for now of course!
Draft criteria would be round-specific animals, everything else known to you, which basically means I copycat from the most recent ones.
At the end, losers may lark, and the winner peacock in front of the crowd.
Sounds great!

prolifik

Not sure how viable this is from a numbers standpoint, but how about a draft where only players with a relative who also plays/played professionally are eligible?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think I've proposed this before. Formation draft. We put 4 (or 5) set of formations (for instance: 4-1-3-2, WM, Christmas Tree, and 5-3-2). So every manager must use different formation for every round (no repeat). It makes it interesting on the players to pick, and guessing the opponent chosen tactic.

Himannv

I think I've proposed this before. Formation draft. We put 4 (or 5) set of formations (for instance: 4-1-3-2, WM, Christmas Tree, and 5-3-2). So every manager must use different formation for every round (no repeat). It makes it interesting on the players to pick, and guessing the opponent chosen tactic.
I think there should be a way to balance it out because some formations are easier to build than others and some are more likely to gain votes as well.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think there should be a way to balance it out because some formations are easier to build than others and some are more likely to gain votes as well.
That's the beauty. If one picks the easy formations early, then on later rounds they have to use the difficult ones.

Example. There are Formations A, B, C, D, E. On 1st round, manager 1 choose to use Fm. C. THen if they advance to the next competition round/stage, their options are Fm. A, B, D, E.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Have we ever done a draft where you can only have one starting player per country and club?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
How about a rival Draft?

Simultaneous drafting from both top and bottom.

Example:
R1 Top down drafts Rangers while Bottoms up draft Celtic players.
R2 Top down drafts Arsenal Players while Bottoms up drafts Spurs players
And so on

Rangers vs Celtic
Arsenal vs Spurs
Spartak vs CSKA
Olympiacos vs Panathinaikos
Benfica vs Porto
Marseille vs PSG
Man Utd vs Man City
Lazio vs Roma
Porto vs Sporting
Besiktas vs Fenerbache
Boca vs River Plate
Corinthians vs Palmeiras

?

Round 2:
Ajax vs Feynoord

Quarter Finals
Bayern vs Dortmund

Semi Finals
AC Milan vs Inter Milan

Finals
Barca vs Real

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
How about a rival Draft?

Example:
And so on

Rangers vs Celtic
Arsenal vs Spurs
Spartak vs CSKA
Benfica vs Porto
Marseille vs PSG
Man Utd vs Man City
Lazio vs Roma
Porto vs Sporting
Besiktas vs Fenerbache
Boca vs River Plate
Corinthians vs Palmeiras

?

Round 2:
Ajax vs Feynoord

Quarter Finals
Bayern vs Dortmund

Semi Finals
AC Milan vs Inter Milan

Finals
Barca vs Real
In

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How about a rival Draft?

Example:
And so on

Rangers vs Celtic
Arsenal vs Spurs
Spartak vs CSKA
Benfica vs Porto
Marseille vs PSG
Man Utd vs Man City
Lazio vs Roma
Porto vs Sporting
Besiktas vs Fenerbache
Boca vs River Plate
Corinthians vs Palmeiras

?

Round 2:
Ajax vs Feynoord

Quarter Finals
Bayern vs Dortmund

Semi Finals
AC Milan vs Inter Milan

Finals
Barca vs Real
Nice, in.

Šjor Bepo

How about a rival Draft?

Example:
And so on

Rangers vs Celtic
Arsenal vs Spurs
Spartak vs CSKA
Benfica vs Porto
Marseille vs PSG
Man Utd vs Man City
Lazio vs Roma
Porto vs Sporting
Besiktas vs Fenerbache
Boca vs River Plate
Corinthians vs Palmeiras

?

Round 2:
Ajax vs Feynoord

Quarter Finals
Bayern vs Dortmund

Semi Finals
AC Milan vs Inter Milan

Finals
Barca vs Real
edgar id remove porto sporting, doesnt make sense to have one team twice and its porto of all clubs.....plenty of derbies to choose from as well, even if you go to Balkan you can pick Zvezda Partizan or Dinamo Hajduk or even Zvezda Dinamo - probably only game that triggered the war(ok overselling a bit but not much).