Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
yeah, you are right. I'll get that removed. So if you land on 13 in fist turn, you drop your 1st pick. Thanks for the evilness harms!
So what would happen in this scenario.

1st pick - Messi
2nd pick - box 13 - drop Messi
3rd pick back on box 1 - do you have to pick someone that has played with Messi or free pick again?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Edgar Allan Pillow
Regarding box 5, is it enough for the player to be in the final squad or does he have to play at one point. Example, Fenomeno if we ignore 2002. Lost in the final of 98 but "won" it in 94 without playing one second of the tournament. Would he be a valid pick?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow
Regarding box 5, is it enough for the player to be in the final squad or does he have to play at one point. Example, Fenomeno if we ignore 2002. Lost in the final of 98 but "won" it in 94 without playing one second of the tournament. Would he be a valid pick?
The guidance note mentions "Must have had playing time in the match (either as a started or a sub-in)" ;)

Šjor Bepo

Ah, now I understand.

Should have made it to at least one finals (as in final last single match) but never won the tournament in their career.

I'll update that to the list.

mmm, is that too restrictive a pool?
not sure if the illness got me or im just a naturally confused guy:lol:
So whats the verdict on Fenomeno? Played and lost in the final(98) but won it in 94 even though he never played a minute, was just in the squad(for the sake of the argument we ignore the 2002 WC).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So whats the verdict on Fenomeno? Played and lost in the final(98) but won it in 94 even though he never played a minute, was just in the squad(for the sake of the argument we ignore the 2002 WC).
He is pretty clear here, no room for an argument - never won it in their career

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well, if he has won it (play or not) the he's disqualified. To break it down:

- NEVER have won the WC
- HAVE played in a losing team in a last single final match (starter or sub-in).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Nah, most of the runners-up never won it. Box 20 can be tricky - but I haven't checked. Especially since a red card was only introduced in 1970 iirc
Just counting red cards I think that pool only has 7 players.
5 Players have a red card in a WC final match.
2 in a Euro Cup/CL final match

Šjor Bepo

we can add something out of Euro, Copa and Europa League/Uefa Cup.

harms

Staff
I'd pick George Best then and screw everyone thereafter
It only affects your next picks, so you'll be stuck with Sammy Nelson while others will add Garrinchas and Didis to their Peles

Tuppet

Just for completeness sake, although this is probably too contrived a scenario.
Did Messi played with Messi ?
R1 -> Block 1 -> Picked Messi
R2 -> Block 13 -> Dropped Messi
R3 -> Block 1 -> Nobody else has picked Messi & he is in the pool, can I pick him again ?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It only affects your next picks, so you'll be stuck with Sammy Nelson while others will add Garrinchas and Didis to their Peles
Well, you could do a bit better than that, in fairness. There are a couple of decent players in that (very limited, granted) pool. In addition to the one world beater you'd - obviously - go for if you opted for that route.

harms

Staff
Well, you could do a bit better than that, in fairness. There are a couple of decent players in that (very limited, granted) pool. In addition to the one world beater you'd - obviously - go for if you opted for that route.
Yeah, I know - the Arsenal pairing in particular, it was an exaggerated point. Blanchflower just misses out too
Nelson isn't a bad player though, couple of hundred appearances for Arsenal and a fifty caps

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol: completely missed the point there. I thought whoever someone chose affected anyone falling there next.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just for completeness sake, although this is probably too contrived a scenario.
Did Messi played with Messi ?
R1 -> Block 1 -> Picked Messi
R2 -> Block 13 -> Dropped Messi
R3 -> Block 1 -> Nobody else has picked Messi & he is in the pool, can I pick him again ?
R4 -> Tuppet has gone missing as he is off to some Caribbean island with his Euromillions

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
:lol: completely missed the point there. I thought whoever someone chose affected anyone falling there next.
That would be hilarious but would mean everyone would be stuck in one place. Sort of a link to club mates would be a fun square though.

1st person to land on it gets an open pick. 2no person has to pick someone to have played with him at club level.
3rd has to pick a player to have played with number 2.

Tactics would really come into play then

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I feel this needs a bit of steering to avoid popular players being repeated. So am making some changes to the criteria:

Box 4:

Dutch Flair "Currently plays in Dutch League"
is being replaced with
Divided Kingdom "Player from UK excepting England"

Guidance: Player must have been born in and played for Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland NT. Player must NOT have played for England NT

Box 11:

EFFICIENT "Currently plays in Bundesliga"
is being replaced with
Hey BABE! "Managed by Sir Matt Busby (exclusions apply. see guidance)"

Guidance: Should have played (have game time) in at least a single game under Sir Matt Busby for Man Utd. The trinity (Law, Charlton, Best) and Duncan Edwards cannot be picked.

Will think of some more. Opinions welcome.