Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
1) Do you support continuation of "votes not visible before voting"?
Yes.
2) Do you support continuation of "Votes cannot be changed"?
Yes.
3) Do you support all managers excepting the designated person to argue in match thread be banned from posting in match thread? (For teams with AM only)
Here's the thing here, though. What if the solo person is available for a good length of time whilst both of the co-managers are sparingly available? Then what? Should we just have a quiet match thread?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Before we start, I'd like to get opinion on certain themes:

3) Do you support all managers excepting the designated person to argue in match thread be banned from posting in match thread? (For teams with AM only)

Just a Yes/No would suffice. Explanations not necessary.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, wouldn't threadban them. Gents agreement only. AMs should be able to post here and there if needed, just not engage fully.

Enigma_87

You know who
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, Gents agreement and taking turns should suffice for me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

As long as there is fixed periods within the match where they can post. I.e. in a 12 hour game. Joga posts first 4 hours, Enigma next 4 hours and Joga ends the match. 2 changeovers per match would strike a balance between flexibility and also protecting a solo man from getting overwhelmed.

Annahnomoss

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. I prefer leaving this rule untouched as a lot of people who want AM's do so because they lack the time. Threads are better with too much discussion over too little anyhow.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I know you aren't posting at the same time but if you post for a few hours and then another guy posts for the next few hours you can't expect one guy to stay awake for 24 hours fighting against multiple people rotating shifts.
Aye, this is obviously a very good point.

Often a single manager will be helped out - in practice - by neutrals who effectively argue his case. But that's arbitrary.

Of course, one could argue that having multiple managers posting (thus boosting the "pro" post total) is by no means a guaranteed winning formula (we've often seen that it doesn't work like that), but the model itself clearly isn't fair on the single manager. Worst case scenario: He doesn't get a fair chance to respond properly to particular points raised by the opposition.

So, yeah - I'm in favour of a new model.

However, a new model doesn't have to involve banning AMs and whatnot from contributing. They can easily do so by posting purely informative stuff - whilst refraining from making particular, critical points which the opposition manager then has to respond to.

Posting a great story about Player X is very different from attacking the other guy's choice of CBs.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yes to all.

No 3 with scope to be changed subject to manager preference. I think it's important to have a default that allows single managers to compete.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yes, yes, yes (with Gio's adjustment though - if both teams have multiple managers they can agree beforehand to have a free discussion)

The third one can be changed upon personal agreements but the default one should be one team one voice

harms

Staff
Of course, one could argue that having multiple managers posting (thus boosting the "pro" post total) is by no means a guaranteed winning formula (we've often seen that it doesn't work like that), but the model itself clearly isn't fair on the single manager. Worst case scenario: He doesn't get a fair chance to respond properly to particular points raised by the opposition.
There were match threads when both co-managers criticize different things and argues different points - and that's where it's really unfair to the single manager, who have to be defensive (which is always a weaker position) over multiple points and the opponents will nitpick his answers for the discrepancies

antohan

There were match threads when both co-managers criticize different things and argues different points - and that's where it's really unfair to the single manager, who have to be defensive (which is always a weaker position) over multiple points and the opponents will nitpick his answers for the discrepancies
That's a nightmare, I agree. I'm usually a solo manager (I'm too fecking single-minded and it only ever worked with @Aldo) and have often found myself writing non-stop only to address points and never getting around to elaborating anything at all. And that's before this tag team/triple tag team stuff came into fashion. Mind you, I'm very black and white and hyperbolic (shits on, destroys, etc.) so tend to elicit multiple reactions, so it's not even about tag teams :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
List of Drafts:

Draft I:
Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Polaroid's - Man Utd Legends Draft (Winner: DanNistelrooy)
Draft V: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft VI: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VII: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VIII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft IX: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft X: The Next Generation Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft XI: World Cup All Time All Stars Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XII: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XIII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIIV: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XVI: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVII: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVIII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIX: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XXI: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXII: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXIII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIV: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXVI: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVII: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVIII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXIX: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: RedTiger/Joga Bonito/Balu)
Draft XXX: Joga's Remake Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XXXI: EAP's Double Draft (Winner: harms)
Draft XXXII: Chesterlestreet's Americas Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Joga Bonito)
Draft XXXIII: EAPs Las Vegas Monopoly Draft (Winner: TBC)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'd like to play in an all-time draft. As a change from current, pure team building and no luck based events.

A suggestion for any manager to consider to run.

4x4 Draft - Club vs Country vs Manager vs Decade

The pool is broken into 4 pools:
Pool 1 - Any 2 clubs: Players choose 2 clubs. All players who have played 1 game for the club can be picked by these managers.
Pool 2 - Any 2 managers: Players choose 2 managers. All players managed by the picked 2 managers can be picked by these managers.
Pool 3 - Any 2 countries: Players choose 2 NTs. All players having played for NT for picked 2 countries can be picked by these managers.
Pool 4 - Any 2 decades: All players with DoB within the chosen decade can be picked by these managers.

Managers can choose one of the above pools. Mod needs to balance so that we have 4 managers each in the above 4 pools.
Overlapping choices permissible (as in 2 or more managers in same Pool 2 can pick Brazil)

All time snake draft.

Pools can be rebalanced if necessary with. What say you all?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What would be the outcome? Something like below?

Team 1: Barcelona/Juve players
Team 2: Guardiola/Van Gaal players
Team 3: Brazil/France players
Team 4: 70s/80s players

harms

Staff
Someone need to assess the pools, I think that the managers can be a little weak compared to other pools (considering that most of the best players are going to overlap anyway)

antohan

Someone need to assess the pools, I think that the managers can be a little weak compared to other pools (considering that most of the best players are going to overlap anyway)
Yups, inherently imbalanced.

Why not simply re-running my All Time Draft? It's been some time, most managers are different, lots of player and style hardons have changed...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Tbf I'd like to have a change from an all-time draft. One where we have a decent breadth of time period but still narrow enough to have similar style of football to played to make comparisons relatively easy (no problems of where a right half's best position is, in a modern formation)

Hence I propose, again, the 67-87 draft (that being the birthday years) with a Billy No Mates Rule. We can pick from,amongst others Baggio, Batigol, R9, CR7 and Messi. The Billy No Mates rule means it's pure fantasy- no historic partnerships are possible- and it makes drafting a challenge. Also with just recentish players it should generate some neutral interest.

The 67-87 draft is just one in a series which would also include 46-66, 25-45 and pre-25.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The last draft could be viewed as an 'All-time draft with constraints & luck'.

The idea of @Physiocrat would be more refreshing.

Then maybe it's better to have

1 Team
2 managers
1 country
1 decade
Nice idea but the teams are likely to be very predictable imo

If someone embodies Netherlands or Guardiola, we will already guess his picks.

antohan

Maybe the on the hardcore difficulty level -
1 per nation
2 per decade (by birth)
5 per continent
etc
Sure, why not? Would have to make open reinforcements then though, spoils of war definitely won't work.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maybe the on the hardcore difficulty level -
1 per nation
2 per decade (by birth)
5 per continent
etc
That's a good shout. Thought about something similar for a rerun of the World Cup draft in a more challenging format with the decade restriction replaced with a max of 1 player per tournament. So for example if you wanted to have Pele and Gerson in the same team, Gerson would be your 1970 representative and Pele would be judged on his 1958 form/role.

Annahnomoss

I would have loved a pre-war draft, i.e a player has to have a senior club appearance before 1939, their peak can then be after but still count. I still feel like more of them should feature in these drafts and we need a draft to emphasize on them.

Also a draft where the nation limit is decided by the managers playing the draft. So if harms plays it means every manager has to pick one Russian player for their first team, him as well, and if Balu plays everybody has to pick a German player too.

Ideally the draft has people from 11 nations(out of 16) to make a first eleven from, otherwise you can split a country like England in to north/south or just let the admin/manager choose a country they'd like to represent.

In case a manager is from a country with lacking football history we could either make that our 12th spot just to learn some about their football while we never play that player - or let the person decide a nation they'd like to represent.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think I'd prefer a more modern draft next to carry on the fun that this one has been. Less research intensive than an all time or press war draft. Ideally the sheep draft @Aldo was planning but if it's not going to be ready the 67-87 one @Physiocrat mentioned gets my vote.

Annahnomoss

What do people think of having a voting for the best drafted team? It would allow shadow drafters to participate slightly more as well as they could atleast feature in that vote. While we also run the matches as usual? No need to present write-ups for it just a casual vote from the managers and anybody else who wants to participate. If we let people rate the top 8 it would probably leave us without any single loser and instead a few who were left without a vote, or we could just make it top 4-5.

P-Nut

What do people think of having a voting for the best drafted team? It would allow shadow drafters to participate slightly more as well as they could atleast feature in that vote. While we also run the matches as usual? No need to present write-ups for it just a casual vote from the managers and anybody else who wants to participate. If we let people rate the top 8 it would probably leave us without any single loser and instead a few who were left without a vote, or we could just make it top 4-5.
Doesn't that make a nonsense of the games though. The team rated as the highest rated will win it 9/10 times.

Annahnomoss

Doesn't that make a nonsense of the games though. The team rated as the highest rated will win it 9/10 times.
It doesn't include any write-ups at all and is just based on what the managers think the team will look like. Their ideal version of the team in their opinion which doesn't mean the manager will play all those players like that.

P-Nut

It doesn't include any write-ups at all and is just based on what the managers think the team will look like. Their ideal version of the team in their opinion which doesn't mean the manager will play all those players like that.
Hmm yeah I get it but it would require everyone to vote without commenting otherwise the managers would be fully aware of what people thought was their best team. Other times it will be quite obvious what there best team will be as well.

Believe me as someone that goes out R1 every time I'm getting bored of the matches just not sure if this is the solution.

MounchesterUtd

Axis nations draft? :D:nervous::nervous:

How about a CL/European Cup heartbreak kids draft? All players who played in the Final but never won it are eligible. Can those in the Semis twice (thrice?) if the pool is somehow too small.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Just as a reminder is that the Billy No Mates rule means no players in the starting XI can have shared a season (half or full) at senior club level with another player nor have been in the same squad for a major international tournament with any other player.

This means lots of different nationalities and a lack of superstar names in every position so it's likely some less heralded players will make the cut.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What do people think of having a voting for the best drafted team?
This can be done in parallel after R1. we can have the matches as usual, but once all R1 teams are out, then a quite vote to see who gets the best drafter award.

So all drafts will have 2 awards, a winner and best drafter awards (may or may not go to same manager).

Moby

Dick
For the next one I definitely vote for Physio's 67-87 Billy no Mates. Good break from the oldies and that's a great pool of players itself. Would be fun.