Next Man Utd Manager Expected To Be Jose Mourinho Or David Moyes

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

kietotheworld

I want stability when SAF leaves, someone who is going to stay for the long-term. In the history of our club that has proven to be a recipe for success.
Ideally we will get someone in who is successful, and keeps their job as a result. Keeping the first guy we get for 10 years isn't necessarily a good idea though.
feck me what a load of rubbish. It's insulting to see you post such shite about our legendary manager, and try and compare him to that cnut Mourinho. Have a word.
What shite is posted there? It's all factual. Like Mourinho, Ferguson has often created controversy to suit his own ends.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Often, when there's a big Spanish game coming up, I see website graphics which feature (for example) Messi, Xavi etc accompanied by a picture of...José Mourinho; as if the match were Barcelona versus Mourinho. Real have fantastic players such as Ronaldo & Ozil, yet the focus is on José. It could be said that media fascination with Mourinho isn't his fault, but he doesn't exactly encourage the press to look elsewhere, what with his provocative statements and behaviour etc. The claim that he's 'taking the pressure off his players' is a lie; if he came to United, he would be - in his own mind and many others' - 'bigger than the club'. Manchester United deserves better...

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Ideally we will get someone in who is successful, and keeps their job as a result. Keeping the first guy we get for 10 years isn't necessarily a good idea though.

What shite is posted there? It's all factual. Like Mourinho, Ferguson has often created controversy to suit his own ends.
Mate, Ferguson's been at United for 25 years. If you couldn't go through his past and find examples of him saying something wrong, it'd be amazing.

The problem is though, the man has been here 25 years, and is an absolute gentleman. Look at his reaction to the "Sir Alex Ferguson Stand". He had two clubs and the referee's lined up applauding him. Sure he can be a bit of a dick at times, but he always has his own club at heart, and has been an absolute legend at the club I love.

Mourinho has been a prick wherever he goes. Those lines about Barce a few weeks ago were a disgrace, and him poking that guy in the eye? Don't get it at all, he seems like an absolute prick.

Drifter

American
Manchester United chief executive David Gill has underlined the requirement for Sir Alex Ferguson's replacement to be completely in tune with the values so prevalent at Old Trafford.

Ferguson celebrated 25 years in the United hotseat on Sunday and, while he has shown no inclination to surrender his position just yet, Gill knows what he is looking for when the time comes.

"It will be difficult to replace him - it's naive to say anything other than that," Gill told MUTV. "But we are a great club whose values go back in history to our heritage to the '50s and '60s and the last 25 years with Alex. To continue with that, the new manager needs to understand those values and the vision for the club and must buy into that."

As he approaches his 70th birthday on New Year's Eve, no-one could accuse Ferguson of concentrating on his immediate priority of withstanding the challenge posed by Manchester City at the expense of United's future.

In Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley, Ferguson has integrated a quartet of young English players to his squad this season that could provide a platform for United over the next decade.

"The important point to make is the new manager, whenever that may be and whomever that may be, will be taking over a great, great club, in a great, great sport and Alex, in particular, will want to make sure he inherits a great squad," said Gill.

"That's our goal - to make sure when the new manager comes in he does have a great squad to work with in terms of age and profile."

Read more: Gill seeking a sense of history - Premier League, Football - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

kietotheworld

David Gill would say that, but he's just paying lip service. When it comes to it if it's a choice between someone who will bring in success and someone who will play football in line with the club's values, history and heritage there's only going to be one choice as far as he's concerned.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And Gill may not be around when Fergie retires. Alternatively, we could have new owners who want a certain manager to replace Fergie.

Edmeiste

Well I hope that's the approach(bringing in a coach that embraces our values at the club). However the more I think about it, the more I realize that it probably won't be the case. The next manager we bring in will mostl likely not receive the same patience and time that Fergie had. For one thing, the new manager won't need to revamp everything that's going on with the squad. More so, he will be handling the first team affairs and that's basically it.

Ferguson does what takes 5 people to do but he does it nonetheless. How in the world do you replace that?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Fergie will leave when the new spine of the team (Smalling, Cleverley, Jones & Welbeck) come of age. That's continuity.

Ole will have gathered enough experience by then?

kietotheworld

Well I hope that's the approach(bringing in a coach that embraces our values at the club). However the more I think about it, the more I realize that it probably won't be the case. The next manager we bring in will mostl likely not receive the same patience and time that Fergie had. For one thing, the new manager won't need to revamp everything that's going on with the squad. More so, he will be handling the first team affairs and that's basically.

Ferguson does what takes 5 people to do but he does it nonetheless. How in the world do you replace that?
Hire 5 people?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Agreed, we need another kind, modest man who never talks rubbish about referees or UEFA, would never attack someone else near their eye area and never creates any controversy, another man like Ferguson.

Does it really though? There are one or two examples of it, but I'd say the majority of managers are more successful at the start of their career at any given club than in the subsequent years. Take Wenger at Arsenal, he's been there nearly 15 years now, having success early on, and now they get worse and worse every season, Benitez at Liverpool, won the European Cup and FA Cup in his first two seasons, won feck all from then until his sacking.

Successful managers tend to spend longer at their clubs, yeah, but the success is the causal factor, it makes them more difficult to get rid of, it's not the result.
Well said, there's been a lot of history rewriting going on with Sir Alex. Back in the 90s, he was seen as the Mourinho of the time, antagonising with the authorities, creating a world against us mentality to suit his needs.

I want stability when SAF leaves, someone who is going to stay for the long-term. In the history of our club that has proven to be a recipe for success.

Stability is over-rated, and at a club like United, stability will only be achieved when success comes with it. The next manager needs to be able to maintain the success we're enjoyed for 2 decades.

kietotheworld

Mate, Ferguson's been at United for 25 years. If you couldn't go through his past and find examples of him saying something wrong, it'd be amazing.

The problem is though, the man has been here 25 years, and is an absolute gentleman. Look at his reaction to the "Sir Alex Ferguson Stand". He had two clubs and the referee's lined up applauding him. Sure he can be a bit of a dick at times, but he always has his own club at heart, and has been an absolute legend at the club I love.

Mourinho has been a prick wherever he goes. Those lines about Barce a few weeks ago were a disgrace, and him poking that guy in the eye? Don't get it at all, he seems like an absolute prick.
Those examples I gave were all from after Mourinho started his career at Porto. And the point's not that Ferguson's behaviour is as bad as Mourinho's, it's that Ferguson behaves like a dick when it suits him as well, if he thinks there's an advantage to be gained out of taking any action, more often than not, he'll do it, and he'll occasionally make absurd allegations for whatever reason. Like Ferguson, what Mourinho does, far more often than not, is in the interests of his club, he's got the interests of his club at heart. His ridiculous allegations against UEFA regarding Barcelona after the 1st leg of the Semi earlier this year, they weren't because he's a dick, they were to try and ensure that any decisions in the second leg went in Real Madrid's favour because there was so much attention drawn to ones favouring Barca.

His reaction to the Ferguson stand being unveiled, what of it? He was happy with it, but it was hardly something particularly extraordinary, he just looked surprised and flattered by it. It was nice to see but it was nothing extraordinary. One could equally point to Materazzi and Mourinho crying in each others arms as Mourinho left Inter after winning Europe as an example of how much he has his own club at his heart, and what his own players, who lets not forget, know him better than anyone else, think of him.

Poking the guy in the eye, I can't explain that, that was a disgrace, but that sort of thing happens. Ferguson kicked a boot at Beckham's head which could have gone in his eye and fought his players at Aberdeen, Brian Clough once punched Roy Keane in the face when he walked into a changing room. You're never going to find a saint, only someone whose mistakes haven't been subject to the intense exposure that Mourinho's life is subject to. I put it to you that the reason you see Ferguson in such a different light to what you see Mourinho is is that he has been very successful at the club you love. Look at it subjectively, ignore the narrative that's built up around him, and there are plenty of examples of him being a dick, he's certainly no saint, and I wouldn't want a saint to replace him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Kie doesn't care about our history or our values he just cares about our success. Sadly seems to be the case for many in this thread...

kietotheworld

Kie doesn't care about our history or our values he just cares about our success. Sadly seems to be the case for many in this thread...
You do come out with some shit at times. I don't want an unsackable manager because it's a bad situation for any club to be in. I want Jose Mourinho (who's team have scored 53 goals already this season) to replace Ferguson when he goes because I think he's the best manager in the world, and I find him entertaining. The most prominent alternatives, the likes of Hughes, Moyes, Bruce, O'Neill, they've all played football as poor and behaved as badly as Mourinho in their careers, when its suited to them, and they have nothing like his pedigree.

Lance Uppercut

You do come out with some shit at times. I don't want an unsackable manager because it's a bad situation for any club to be in. I want Jose Mourinho (who's team have scored 53 goals already this season) to replace Ferguson when he goes because I think he's the best manager in the world, and I find him entertaining. The most prominent alternatives, the likes of Hughes, Moyes, Bruce, O'Neill, they've all played football as poor and behaved as badly as Mourinho in their careers, when its suited to them, and they have nothing like his pedigree.
:lol:

They aren't "the most prominent alternatives" anywhere other than your imagination.

kietotheworld

:lol:

They aren't "the most prominent alternatives" anywhere other than your imagination.
Bruce and Hughes have been talked about for years, Moyes is 2nd/3rd favourite with the bookies, with O'Neill following him. There's Guardiola who's up there, but I think he might be a bit too successful for Brwned's tastes.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Jose Mourinho, you either love him or hate him, guess who he reminds me of... :smirk:

Anyway, I agree completely with you. Jose (at the moment) is the best and most viable choice if Sir Alex steps down.

Lance Uppercut

Bruce and Hughes have been talked about for years, Moyes is 2nd/3rd favourite with the bookies, with O'Neill following him. There's Guardiola who's up there, but I think he might be a bit too successful for Brwned's tastes.
Gill has stated before that Fergie's successor must have a proven track record of success both domestically, and in Europe. That rules out all of your "prominent alternatives."

I mean, Hughes? Really?

kietotheworld

Gill has stated before that Fergie's successor must have a proven track record of success both domestically, and in Europe. That rules out all of your "prominent alternatives."

I mean, Hughes? Really?
So who would you say are the most prominent alternatives?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I still think Mourinho would be a big mistake. Fergie has a very tight staff behind him. The likes of Jimmy Ryan, Choccy, Joyce, McGuinness.

I just see Jose dismantling that structure. Making it less United if you get my drift.

Cal?

CR7 fan

I mean, Hughes? Really?
Guess who fits those criteria? :smirk:

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
David Gill would say that, but he's just paying lip service.
I don't think he's paying lip service at all, merely reflecting the views of the Board.

When it comes to it if it's a choice between someone who will bring in success and someone who will play football in line with the club's values, history and heritage there's only going to be one choice as far as he's concerned.
There's no reason why Fergie's successor can't do both.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Gill: "But we are a great club whose values go back in history to our heritage to the '50s and '60s and the last 25 years with Alex. To continue with that, the new manager needs to understand those values and the vision for the club and must buy into that."

"The important point to make is the new manager, whenever that may be and whomever that may be, will be taking over a great, great club, in a great, great sport and Alex, in particular, will want to make sure he inherits a great squad," said Gill.

"That's our goal - to make sure when the new manager comes in he does have a great squad to work with in terms of age and profile."

Translation: "The new manager will have a transfer budget of £1.50"

Amir

Do we know of anyone that would uphold those values? That's the type of manager I want but I'm not sure how many good ones are out there that would do that. Mourinho certainly wont
Why won't he? He may not be another Sir Alex, but some of the criticism aimed at him is quite incorrect. His teams play good football, and when there's the need to play defensively and get a result they do that - just like Fergie does. In Inter he brought in older players aimed for quick success and nothing else. In Real, it's been a mixture or experience (Carvalho, mostly) and youth (Sahin, Ozil, Kadeira, Varane).

I think the truth about Mourinho is he'll change according to circumstances and the club he is at.

kietotheworld

To Jose? There is only one, as far as I am concerned. Pep.
I wouldn't be averse to that, although it's difficult to say how much of Barcelona's success is down to him as an individual and how much is down to the system.
I don't think he's paying lip service at all, merely reflecting the views of the Board.

There's no reason why Fergie's successor can't do both.
Obviously everyone hopes that we get someone who does to both, but there's not much of a discussion that.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Fergie wants Moyes in charge after him, I can tell you that.
:lol: Such certainty, despite so much evidence that Sir Alex favours Mourinho.

Why won't he? He may not be another Sir Alex, but some of the criticism aimed it him is quite incorrect. His teams play good football, and when there's the need to play defensively and get a result they do that - just like Fergie does. In Inter he brought in older players aimed for quick success and nothing else. In Real, it's been a mixture or experience (Carvalho, mostly) and youth (Sahin, Ozil, Kadeira, Varane.

I think the truth about Mourinho is he'll change according to circumstances and the club he is at.
Well said, some people have brainwashed themselves into thinking Mourinho is only able to play defensive football whilst splashing millions on old stars despite evidence to the contrary.

Edmeiste

Why won't he? He may not be another Sir Alex, but some of the criticism aimed it him is quite incorrect. His teams play good football, and when there's the need to play defensively and get a result they do that - just like Fergie does. In Inter he brought in older players aimed for quick success and nothing else. In Real, it's been a mixture or experience (Carvalho, mostly) and youth (Sahin, Ozil, Kadeira, Varane.

He's a man that's about getting results. Whether he does it one way or another. Imo, that won't include the club's ideals. I think that mainly because he doesn't seem one to champion youth. If he would come in, he'd make our first team a potent force and make the necessary changes he feels would warrant continued success. Nothing more than that.

Amir

He's a man that's about getting results. Whether he does it one way or another. Imo, that won't include the club's ideals. I think that mainly because he doesn't seem one to champion youth. If he would come in, he'd make our first team a potent force and make the necessary changes he feels would warrant continued success. Nothing more than that.
Like I said, look at the difference between the sort of signings he's made for Inter for for Real. Different brackets, really. Seems like he's doing what the club wants. Inter was always a short term job. They wanted the European Cup and wanted it yesterday. Real, unusually, are actually thinking a couple of steps forward, being a team for a few years. Yes, with Mourinho, who already gave Varane a couple of starts in the league.

So if he comes to a club that thinks long term and wants to give Youth a chance, it'll happen.