Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

His achievements at Spurs were good. Its his PSG stint that worries me.

Poor football. Doesnt seem to have a defined style of play. Struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad. Sound familiar?
Well could say the same about Tuchel who also got to a Champions League final

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ugh I can’t, just can’t get excited by this. Three years ago maybe, but I feel like we’re going to make another Klopp like mistake by snubbing Ten Hag and going for a manager we’ll probably sack within two years.
Same here

largelyworried

Poor football. Doesnt seem to have a defined style of play. Struggling with big egos and a top heavy squad. Sound familiar?
Difference is, at PSG he’s not allowed to change things.

golden_blunder

Staff
This is what some people do not understand. Yeah, we'd all want Ten Hag, but that means basically throwing this entire season away. We have to be pragmatic for once. There's a quality coach available - get him. This "let's wait and see what happens" is what has gotten us in this mess for the past decade. When are we gonna learn that we're not that special and nobody is gonna wait for us to make our mind? Top clubs sack a manager and appoint a new one. They don't wait around and see what's what. We've missed on Poch, we've missed on Tuchel, we've missed on Conte, how many managers do we have to miss on before we start acting like a football club and not Disneyland?
And now we miss out on ten Hag? Who will end up going to city to replace pep in a year

cheeky bid for pep?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
This is what some people do not understand. Yeah, we'd all want Ten Hag, but that means basically throwing this entire season away. We have to be pragmatic for once. There's a quality coach available - get him. This "let's wait and see what happens" is what has gotten us in this mess for the past decade. When are we gonna learn that we're not that special and nobody is gonna wait for us to make our mind? Top clubs sack a manager and appoint a new one. They don't wait around and see what's what. We've missed on Poch, we've missed on Tuchel, we've missed on Conte, how many managers do we have to miss on before we start acting like a football club and not Disneyland?
Agreed with most of what you said but just for arguments sake we actually did the opposite of the “wait and see” approach by hiring LVG and Jose when they were available and look at how their turned out. Although to be fair, both of those two got us trophies l.

croadyman

We should wait for the right person if we think the right person won’t come till the summer
I don't agree with it but accepted the fact this board has to see whether Pochettino can succeed here even though it means missing out on a potentially elite manager in Ten Hag

Highfather_24

Well could say the same about Tuchel who also got to a Champions League final
A fair point. Would PSG fans rate Tuchel more than Poch though? I havent seen much of Tuchel's PSG to comment here, and I wont pretend to otherwise.

golden_blunder

Staff
We’d actually be doing PSG a huge favour if we took Poch from them. Not only would we buy out his contract (despite them not even wanting him). It would also pave the way for their acquisition of Zidane who could be the one key man to convince Mbappe to stay there. A domino effect that could see them walk the CL 2 years in a row.
Would be the best Christmas gift we could give them to say the least.
Might as well give them Pogba now too

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Poch for me. Knows the Prem, really good rep for giving youth a chance, and generally seems to be a very good man manager. Could be an excellent long term solution. All in all a proper manager

I've just listened to Carrick's presser. I hope I dont have to listen to too many of those. He "Erm's" before nearly every sentence which will give me a tick if I have to listen to too many of those :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
A fair point. Would PSG fans rate Tuchel more than Poch though? I havent seen much of Tuchel's PSG to comment here, and I wont pretend to otherwise.
They were very good to be honest, I believe he took them to the UCL final too. That last season though there was just too much unrest between Tuchel and the club

croadyman

And now we miss out on ten Hag? Who will end up going to city to replace pep in a year

cheeky bid for pep?
Yeah like I said earlier this is my fear as well but he also won't have the structure in place here as our yankee jokers aren't willing to give him that platform so that's why I see us going for Pochettino

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ugh I can’t, just can’t get excited by this. Three years ago maybe, but I feel like we’re going to make another Klopp like mistake by snubbing Ten Hag and going for a manager we’ll probably sack within two years.
Woodward will not be keen on ETH for the same reason ETH would not be keen on us for the same reason Klopp was not keen. He will not have an infrastructure around him targetting football criteria, but rather commercial criteria. Poch is a better fit with that.

Oc we all wish the Glazers didn't exist but realistically they do so ETH seems unlikely if Poch is also an option instead. The danger is that they will then feed Poch the wrong players like they did Ole and we will be back at square one.

croadyman

Woodward will not be keen on ETH for the same reason ETH would not be keen on us for the same reason Klopp was not keen. He will not have an infrastructure around him targetting football criteria, but rather commercial criteria. Poch is a better fit with that.

Oc we all wish the Glazers didn't exist but realistically they do so ETH seems unlikely if Poch is also an option instead. The danger is that they will then feed Poch the wrong players like they did Ole and we will be back at square one.
Thank you so much for also highlighting this fact to our fans who think we are just passing on him for no reason

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
RMC Sport...

I translated the guy's original tweet and it sounds pretty different.

Mauricio Pochettino is not really satisfied with his adventure in Paris so far. The technician is not against a departure, but has not asked the leaders of #PSG for the moment, leaving an intriguing vagueness.

the_cliff

He's basically covered all bases there. The fact that Poch 'feels like he doesn't need to respond to the rumours' for me shows he wants to leave.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Hmmm strong PSG source this and suggests he isn't leading the race over Ten Hag quite as much as bookies believe
It's possible that we're being gas lit by Woodward and the plan is actually Bodger. There is a certain logic to that.

Beagle

I have voted for Brendan Rodgers. A consistent overachiever who advocates playing decent football.

Bertie 2 Hats

I'd be happy with Pochettino but i'd rather we take a risk with Ten Hag.. :)

Last edited:

Sviken

cheeky bid for pep?
You're working under the assumption that:
1. Ten Hag will be a success here or at City
2. Ten Hag is guaranteed to come here
And are you willing to waste an entire season and missing on everything in the hopes that Ten Hag will not only come here, but be the next Pep? That's quite the risk.
Agreed with most of what you said but just for arguments sake we actually did the opposite of the “wait and see” approach by hiring LVG and Jose when they were available and look at how their turned out. Although to be fair, both of those two got us trophies l.
Well, not exactly. We waited for both LVG and Mourinho. LVG was contacted before the World Cup and he agreed to join us after. Same with Mourinho when he was sacked from Chelsea. At any rate, regardless of whether Mourinho or LVG failed here, they were smart appointments at the time. Obviously, didn't exactly work out, but the club had the right idea. Sticking with Ole is what got us into this mess. And of course appointing Moyes in the first place. These two grave appointments (Ole and Moyes) basically made us slog through a quicksand and all we've been doing since then is attempting to get out.

L1nk

He's basically covered all bases there. The fact that Poch 'feels like he doesn't need to respond to the rumours' for me shows he wants to leave.
There's also the fact that virtually all the journo's have said today he wants it, potentially now, there's virtually no reason to leak that from United's side, that has to have come from Pochettino's

the_cliff

There's also the fact that virtually all the journo's have said today he wants it, potentially now, there's virtually no reason to leak that from United's side, that has to have come from Pochettino's
My guess is we'll start hearing reports of Zidane being approached by PSG after the City-PSG game. Then Zidane will go there and Poch joins United.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You're working under the assumption that:
1. Ten Hag will be a success here or at City
2. Ten Hag is guaranteed to come here
And are you willing to waste an entire season and missing on everything in the hopes that Ten Hag will not only come here, but be the next Pep? That's quite the risk.

Well, not exactly. We waited for both LVG and Mourinho. LVG was contacted before the World Cup and he agreed to join us after. Same with Mourinho when he was sacked from Chelsea. At any rate, regardless of whether Mourinho or LVG failed here, they were smart appointments at the time. Obviously, didn't exactly work out, but the club had the right idea. Sticking with Ole is what got us into this mess. And of course appointing Moyes in the first place. These two grave appointments (Ole and Moyes) basically made us slog through a quicksand and all we've been doing since then is attempting to get out.
This can be de-risked substantially by getting ETH to sign a pre-contract to take over at the end of the season. Then we go get Blanc or (heaven help me) Bruce or whoever until he starts

Sviken

This can be de-risked substantially by getting ETH to sign a pre-contract to take over at the end of the season. Then we go get Blanc or (heaven help me) Bruce or whoever until he starts
First off, at the moment there is no real indication that Hag even wants to come here. I wouldn't put my faith in rumors and what not. Second, your scenario basically means we throw this entire season away, potentially miss out on top 4 which would be an unmitigated disaster given our wage bill and players, waste a year out of these players careers (almost all of them are in their prime, not young kids) and then have faith that Hag would turn successful. What if he is not though? What if he fails? What exactly do we do then? Waste another season?

croadyman

I agree.
We are gagging for a guy Spurs fired? Plus Fergie likes him. That is enough for me to dislike him.
ten Hag is the guy we should go for especially if as reported he wants to come here.
The facts are ideally neither would take it until the summer then could get Ten Hag

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I have voted for Brendan Rodgers. A consistent overachiever who advocates playing decent football.
I know this may be a WUM but you should wash your hands, mouth and brain for typing this out. I'll also go wash my eyes after reading it.

largelyworried

I can’t imagine what motivation he would have to sign a pre-contract.

Social Faux Pas

They’re 11 points clear in Ligue 1 and have already beaten Guardiola’s Man City this season in the Champions league

I take that he’s not got a defined style instilled at PSG but it’s not like he’s doing a terrible job.

MrSingh2002

Him not fixing Dele Ali and him dropping Moura for the Champions League final go against him for me but we could do worse for sure.

Conte, Guardiola, Jose and Klopp I would say are the best managers of the last 10 years.

To compete against them we need the best of the rest and there's an argument for Pochettino. His Premier League experience puts him ahead of Ten Hag and even Zidane for me.

It's a shame we missed out on the top top managers by picking Moyes, LVG, and Ole.

I would actually want Jose in charge again with this squad. This is the type of squad he wanted in his 3rd season.

We'll never know if he would've been able to build on his 2nd position if he had been backed with the players and money that Ole was (Maguire, AWB, Bruno, Sancho, Cavani and Ronaldo).

There's no doubt he would've done better than Ole did with the squad this season though.

Status
Not open for further replies.