Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IWat

In Germany and Italy, if there was a young coach who did well with a team like Mainz, Hoffenheim/Leipzig or Sienna, you could be sure that teams like Dortmund, Bayern and Juve would consider that guy. Maybe even hire him. Despite not winning anything.

In England, if there was a young, english coach who took a poor team from playing football like Stoke to being a City/Liverpool-hybrid in style and structure, would he be considered for Man Utd? I would say probably not! Not if his team did not somehow «challenge» even if that is basically impossible.

A few fun facts:
- Only City, Liverpool and Chelsea have higher possession numbers than Brighton,
- The same three team, and Man Utd and Spurs, have higher pass completion,
- Only four teams have lower xGA than Brighton,
- Relative to possession, their pressing numbers are very high and according to fbref the most effective in the PL with 32,8 %. City and Liverpool are 2nd and 3rd. Only Liverpool press more in the final third.
- Only three teams are better at beating the press of the opponent than Brighton (City, Chelsea and Arsenal).
- Only three teams in the PL have more touches in the final third than Brighton (City, Liverpool and Chelsea).

Consider the resources. Consider where that squad came from in 2019. People are so hyped about ETH. And I get it. But could anyone, ETH, Pep or even Klopp have done better with Brighton? I really doubt it!

It sounds stupid, but a coach at Man Utd will face some of the same challenges Potter faced at Brighton in 2019. I would really trust that guy.
My concern is we've had a decade of fecking around and gambles that have all backfired and now it's reaching crunch time in my opinion. You cannot continue to generate commercial success off the back of no success on the pitch for what will soon be long enough that it's basically a generation. The squad rebuilds are going to get harder and harder now that rivals are catching/caught/exceeded us commercially while we stagnate.

All options are a gamble to some extent, but I honestly think there is a decent chance Potter would be a Kafkaesque rendition of Moyes spell. Really think we need someone with more experience at the sharp end of competitions, leagues and CL, who is used to pressure and expectation but who is also not over the hill a.k.a LVG and Mou (Is that really too much to ask?)

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
That was a different era though.

99% of PL managers were british back then, i also doubt United or any other top PL side would hire a manager directly from Scotland right now, doesn't matter if he broke the hegemony Celtic-Rangers.

I don't think we will ever see an scottish manager at a top PL side again, especially after what happened with Rodgers at Liverpool.
Rodgers is Northern Irish and his stint at Liverpool was before Celtic.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It sounds stupid, but a coach at Man Utd will face some of the same challenges Potter faced at Brighton in 2019. I would really trust that guy.
Our players will label him ted lasso and get him sacked within a season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Happy to see Potter tick up. I genuinely believe he's the guy but he might have to apprentice at a Tottenham or somewhere there before we decide we have to 'scout' him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Have you watched them play? He's managed to make them even more boring than they were under Nuno.
I've not seen much (more than 6 or 7 games) of Wolves but go check the stats for the beginning of the season and they were very attacking, notching something like 60+ shots in 3 games or something crazy. However, they kept dropping points by getting hit on the counter I think, so he made some changes and now they're going along nicely. Definitely nowhere near as boring as under Nuno in the games I have seen.

L1nk

After tonight I am well and truly on the Potter bandwagon.

Sack Rangnick and get Potter in now.

He ticks all the boxes.

I can't be bothered to wait for Pochettino or Ten Hag.
I don’t think Potter, as good as he seems to be, would be able to do any more with this squad at this point in the season, he’d have to get his point across on a threadbare squad who’s fitness and attitude are abysmal. Would be a smarter approach in the summer if he was an option

Kaos

I’d go with

1 ETH
2 Potter
3 keep Ralph and reassess next season
This is pretty much where I'm at.

Though irrespective of who it is, they need serious backing in the market, and should be given full blessing to purge the squad of those not up to it, even our 'marketable' types.

ThemanGiggsy

I think Potter would be a good hire. Have been impressed with him for a couple of seasons.

really like ten hag and Enrique (Shane the timing of the WAC this year)

Poch was wearing a mask in an outdoor stadium tonight so not sure about him.

but I would be fine With him if he ultimately got the job.

hobbers

I would only ever contemplate keeping ralf another year if we had a pre agreement with Enrique for after the World Cup. Otherwise absolutely no point.

If ETH turns us down we’d be better off taking a punt on Poch or Amorim or Potter than treading water with someone who can go upstairs and do a better job there anyway. The players won’t buy into Ralf on a 1 year contract they’ll just go through the motions until the new guy comes.

Obviously this doesn’t apply if it means hiring a clueless clown like Bodgers. I’d give Ralf a 10 year deal before turning to him.

city-puma

I really think Potter should be seriously considered. The issue is that no one knows if his team can score a lot with better players. He has not gotten that luxury support in his career. But his philosophy is something we should embrace.

Greck

Be careful what you ask for. I don't know if Ralf is talking about staying for only a year. Permanent job isn't just extended interim. Being manager might be more attractive for him than some undefined consultancy role. At United the manager is the chief figure. Anyone with managerial experience (not just head coach) would want the job.

The Red Thinker

Guys… I just found a stat that boggles my mind about Ten Hag’s Ajax.

22 Games played
17 wins
3 Draws
2 losses
69 Goals scored
5 Goals conceded

FIVE?????? :eek:

I know that Dutch league isn’t the greatest but conceding 5 goals halfway through a season is BONKERS! Add to that the most goals scored in the league.

This is our guy. Well and truly a tactical genius!

NewYorkRed

Whoever it is, assuming we don’t sign another attacking player (i know we will), I hope he tries this:

Bruno-Ronaldo-Sancho
-Donny-
Pogba/Fred/New CM-New DM/Scott

Bruno on the left with Donny in being will work wonders and i can’t believe we haven’t given it a shot. Rashford has been awful so moving Sancho to the right with Bruno a roaming lw makes for a tasty prospect.

A Civilized Reader

Tonight could get miserable. PSG get smashed by Madrid and we get beat at home by Brighton. The next few days see Poch gets the boot and we hire him through desperation. I can feel it n my water. Sad times.
What are you feeling in your water now? Are you still sad?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
My concern is we've had a decade of fecking around and gambles that have all backfired and now it's reaching crunch time in my opinion. You cannot continue to generate commercial success off the back of no success on the pitch for what will soon be long enough that it's basically a generation. The squad rebuilds are going to get harder and harder now that rivals are catching/caught/exceeded us commercially while we stagnate.

All options are a gamble to some extent, but I honestly think there is a decent chance Potter would be a Kafkaesque rendition of Moyes spell. Really think we need someone with more experience at the sharp end of competitions, leagues and CL, who is used to pressure and expectation but who is also not over the hill a.k.a LVG and Mou (Is that really too much to ask?)
Really dont think a proven PL-manager will be a bigger risk than any realistic option we have. The «high risk, high reward» solution is the guy from Ajax. Would be very exciting, but very difficult to say what he can do outside of Eredivise and Ajax.

With Moyes there was several issues;

A) Replacing Ferguson,
B) A squad that where probably a bit overrated due to the miracles performed by Ferguson,
C) A bit reactice and old-fashioned approach at a time when we where starting to see the beginning of the more «modern football»

Furthermore, we should not forget, Moyes is not our only failure.

Bestietom

I would like Enrique but then we would have to wait until after World cup, which would be wasteful if we are to bring players in.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In Germany and Italy, if there was a young coach who did well with a team like Mainz, Hoffenheim/Leipzig or Sienna, you could be sure that teams like Dortmund, Bayern and Juve would consider that guy. Maybe even hire him. Despite not winning anything.

In England, if there was a young, english coach who took a poor team from playing football like Stoke to being a City/Liverpool-hybrid in style and structure, would he be considered for Man Utd? I would say probably not! Not if his team did not somehow «challenge» even if that is basically impossible.
A key difference between the situations of Bayern or Juventus vis-à-vis United is that their primacy in the league is rarely challenged (at least in a current context, where you don't have a Berlusconi-powered Milan to consistently challenge the latter), so they can afford to be more a bit adventurous with their choices (as there's more margin for error). Bayern could hypothetically nab Jaissle from Salzburg or Hoeneß from Hoffenheim or Svensson from Mainz, and their short or medium term objectives won't suffer if the appointment goes south; but even then, they have mostly chosen to employ established managers like van Gaal, Heynckes, Guardiola, Ancelotti over the last 15 years or so — and hopeful appointments like Kovač from Eintracht Frankfurt were rather sporadic (speaking of permanent choices, not interim like Sagnol).

In the Premier League, any new United manager will have his back against the wall from the very beginning — as he will have to stare down three of the foremost tacticians of the contemporary game in Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in a race to the very top (which isn't happening in Serie A right now...Gasperini, Mourinho, Inzaghi, Spalletti, Pioli are at a lower level in comparison). Not to mention, the revenues of Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are now within touching distance of United (whereas Bayern and Juventus have a substantial lead over the chasing pack), which makes things even more competitive. There's a tangible threat of one (or more) of them matching or surpassing United in the years to come if we keep stabbing ourselves in the foot...

Given what's at stake and the nature of the competition in the uppermost echelons of the Premier League (domestically, and in Europe: with Liverpool, City and Chelsea winning or reaching the finals of the Champions League of late), it does make sense to minimize unnecessary risks and opt for a top-of-the-line manager (depending on availability of course) rather than an aspirant. Potter is a good coach, pretty resourceful and has his team punching above its weight...with Brighton play an eye-catching brand of football under him (like Rodgers at Swansea) — should definitely be looked at as there's a lot to like about him. But, they're a middling or lower-half-of-the-table team (where the pressure is substantially lower), and he has only one season of Europa League experience under his belt from Östersund...that should give any reasonably objective person some pause.

Whereas someone like Nagelsmann (also a bright, up-and-coming manager at face value) had finished in the Top 4 with Hoffenheim on separate occasions, before guiding Leipzig to the Champions League semi-final vs. Paris Saint-Germain and finishing runner-up to Flick's Bayern — so there are a lot of fundamental differences between his resumé in terms of elite-experience and overall pedigree (before Bayern came calling) and Potter's, and a lot more question marks around the latter. For what it's worth, there are some question marks around the other candidates, too — in terms of rigorousness of domestic competition, footballing ideology, squad-building nous, man management, availability — and there are no near-perfect choices like Guardiola or Klopp lying in wait for us, so United will have to be ultra judicious and selective.

Gazautd18

I think Potter would be a good hire. Have been impressed with him for a couple of seasons.

really like ten hag and Enrique (Shane the timing of the WAC this year)

Poch was wearing a mask in an outdoor stadium tonight so not sure about him.

but I would be fine With him if he ultimately got the job.
Just heard he was wearing it as he thought he broke his nose during the celebrations.
As much as I think ETH is the man at the moment we will most probably go for the safe option of Poch.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Potter is a good coach, pretty resourceful and has his team punching above its weight...with Brighton play an eye-catching brand of football under him (like Rodgers at Swansea) — should definitely be looked at as there's a lot to like about him. But, they're a middling or lower-half-of-the-table team (where the pressure is substantially lower), and he has only one season of Europa League experience under his belt from Östersund...that should give any reasonably objective person some pause.
That's a very important point I think. Whoever takes over United should have the experience to deal with tight schedules, as you have to when you compete in the CL. EL experience is fine here, I think EL has even more games.

Someone who is just used to league schedules plus the occasional cup match might not know how to organise coaching sessions etc to fit the schedule well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A key difference between the situations of Bayern or Juventus vis-à-vis United is that their primacy in the league is rarely challenged (at least in a current context, where you don't have a Berlusconi-powered Milan to consistently challenge the latter), so they can afford to be more a bit adventurous with their choices (as there's more margin for error). Bayern could hypothetically appoint Jaissle from Salzburg or Hoeneß from Hoffenheim or Svensson from Mainz , and their short or medium term objectives won't suffer if the appointment goes south; but even then, they have mostly chosen to employ established managers like van Gaal, Heynckes, Guardiola, Ancelotti over the last 15 years or so — and hopeful appointments like Kovač from Eintracht Frankfurt were rather sporadic (speaking of permanent choices, not interim like Sagnol).

In the Premier League, any new United manager will have his back against the wall from the very beginning — as he will have to stare down three of the foremost tacticians of the contemporary game in Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in a race to the very top (which isn't happening in Serie A right now...Gasperini, Mourinho, Inzaghi, Spalletti, Pioli are at a lower level in comparison). Not to mention, the revenues of Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are now within touching distance of United (whereas Bayern and Juventus have a substantial lead over the chasing pack), which makes things even more competitive. There's a very real risk of one (or more) of them surpassing United if we keep stabbing ourselves in the foot...

Given what's at stake, it does make sense to minimize unnecessary risks and opt for a top-of-the-line manager (depending on availability of course) rather than an aspirant. Potter is a good coach, and Brighton play an eye-catching brand of football under him (like Rodgers at Swansea) — should definitely be looked at as there's a lot to like about him. But, they're a middling or lower-half-of-the-table team (where the pressure is much lower), and he has only one season of Europa League experience from Östersund...that some give any reasonably objective person some pause.

Whereas someone like Nagelsmann (also a bright, up-and-coming manager) had finished in the Top 4 with Hoffenheim on separate occasions, before guiding Leipzig to the Champions League semi-final vs. Paris Saint-Germain and finishing runner-up to Flick's Bayern — so there are a lot of fundamental differences between his resumé (before Bayern came calling) and Potter's, and a lot more question marks around the latter. For what it's worth, there are some question marks around the other candidates, too — in terms of rigorousness of competition, footballing ideology, availability — and there are no near-perfect choices like Guardiola or Klopp lying in wait for us, so United will have to be ultra judicious and selective.
Agree with this post.

I like Potter and would love to see him given a opportunity at United. But we also shouldn't overlook the conditions that were being created by the Brighton owner (Bloom) and Dan Ashworth (DoF) before Potter took the job. It's something that's also levelled at ten Hag, but he has shown his ability at the UCL level.

Every coach is a risk, but with ETH, he has shown the ability to coach a team at the champions league level against the best teams in Europe, where he's imposed his style on the opposition with inferior players on paper in comparison.

I don't want ETH because of what he's done in the Dutch league, but I would like to see him at United for his work at the Champions League level, with a team that had not been to a UCL semi-final since 1996. And then he lost a lot of his star players to rival clubs, and just a few years later, he has brought in replacements with the aid of the recruitment staff, and has Ajax playing to a very high level again in the UCL. Players like Berghuis, Tadic, Haller, etc are excelling under him at the Champions league level. And these players were formerly of Watford, Soton, West Ham, and weren't considered anything special in the EPL.

I think it's a very easy decision to give ETH the job on the basis of his ability to coach a proactive brand of football both in and out of possession against the best teams in Europe. And with Murtough and Rangnick (Romano tweet below) reported to be heavily involved in the decision making process, I'm optimistic it'll be ten Hag.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Absolutely not Potter, not because I don't rate him but we know full well we need a name of our prima donna players won't buy into what he says quite simply

Withnail

A key difference between the situations of Bayern or Juventus vis-à-vis United is that their primacy in the league is rarely challenged (at least in a current context, where you don't have a Berlusconi-powered Milan to consistently challenge the latter), so they can afford to be more a bit adventurous with their choices (as there's more margin for error). Bayern could hypothetically nab Jaissle from Salzburg or Hoeneß from Hoffenheim or Svensson from Mainz , and their short or medium term objectives won't suffer if the appointment goes south; but even then, they have mostly chosen to employ established managers like van Gaal, Heynckes, Guardiola, Ancelotti over the last 15 years or so — and hopeful appointments like Kovač from Eintracht Frankfurt were rather sporadic (speaking of permanent choices, not interim like Sagnol).

In the Premier League, any new United manager will have his back against the wall from the very beginning — as he will have to stare down three of the foremost tacticians of the contemporary game in Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel in a race to the very top (which isn't happening in Serie A right now...Gasperini, Mourinho, Inzaghi, Spalletti, Pioli are at a lower level in comparison). Not to mention, the revenues of Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea are now within touching distance of United (whereas Bayern and Juventus have a substantial lead over the chasing pack), which makes things even more competitive. There's a tangible threat of one (or more) of them matching or surpassing United in the years to come if we keep stabbing ourselves in the foot...

Given what's at stake and the nature of the competition in the uppermost echelons of the Premier League (domestically, and in Europe: with Liverpool, City and Chelsea winning or reaching the finals of the Champions League of late), it does make sense to minimize unnecessary risks and opt for a top-of-the-line manager (depending on availability of course) rather than an aspirant. Potter is a good coach, pretty resourceful and has his team punching above its weight...with Brighton play an eye-catching brand of football under him (like Rodgers at Swansea) — should definitely be looked at as there's a lot to like about him. But, they're a middling or lower-half-of-the-table team (where the pressure is substantially lower), and he has only one season of Europa League experience under his belt from Östersund...that should give any reasonably objective person some pause.

Whereas someone like Nagelsmann (also a bright, up-and-coming manager at face value) had finished in the Top 4 with Hoffenheim on separate occasions, before guiding Leipzig to the Champions League semi-final vs. Paris Saint-Germain and finishing runner-up to Flick's Bayern — so there are a lot of fundamental differences between his resumé in terms of elite-experience and overall pedigree (before Bayern came calling) and Potter's, and a lot more question marks around the latter. For what it's worth, there are some question marks around the other candidates, too — in terms of rigorousness of domestic competition, footballing ideology, squad-building nous, man management, availability — and there are no near-perfect choices like Guardiola or Klopp lying in wait for us, so United will have to be ultra judicious and selective.
I'd been hearing our revenues had plateaued for a long time but those revenue figures are a damning indictment of the Glazers and Woodward. They've literally killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

croadyman

Just heard he was wearing it as he thought he broke his nose during the celebrations.
As much as I think ETH is the man at the moment we will most probably go for the safe option of Poch.
Yeah still got this gut feeling that player power and Fergie's will is going to prevail

Sviken

Absolutely not Potter, not because I don't rate him but we know full well we need a name of our prima donna players won't buy into what he says quite simply
When Pep inherited Barca when he was a no-name manager, he cleaned house. This shouldn't really be a problem if the board fully backs him and stop siding with the players (that basically created this mess that we are in now).

For me the list would be:
1. ETH
2. Enrique
3. Potter
4. Poch

No matter who the new manager is, I want him to receive the full backing of the board. If he wants to sell fecking Ronaldo, you sell him. I don't care. The manager should be paramount and no player should be or feel bigger than him. SAF understood that long ago

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
When Pep inherited Barca when he was a no-name manager, he cleaned house. This shouldn't really be a problem if the board fully backs him and stop siding with the players (that basically created this mess that we are in now).

For me the list would be:
1. ETH
2. Enrique
3. Potter
4. Poch

No matter who the new manager is, I want him to receive the full backing of the board. If he wants to sell fecking Ronaldo, you sell him. I don't care. The manager should be paramount and no player should be or feel bigger than him. SAF understood that long ago
He wasn't a "No name" character due to his career and experience with the same club, they also have a lot of people behind the scenes where it works in terms of training, coaches etc also. It's also clear the board aren't ready to relinquish control to anyone which is a shame, I almost want the board to be unanimous on ETH and beg him so he can make the demands of control and do the things he needs to do.

Caesar2290

Guys… I just found a stat that boggles my mind about Ten Hag’s Ajax.

22 Games played
17 wins
3 Draws
2 losses
69 Goals scored
5 Goals conceded

FIVE?????? :eek:

I know that Dutch league isn’t the greatest but conceding 5 goals halfway through a season is BONKERS! Add to that the most goals scored in the league.

This is our guy. Well and truly a tactical genius!
You think that is impressive? Check out their stats for all the competitions, including Champions League

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Potter won’t make it here. The players we have now simply won’t give him an ounce of respect the first day he walks in
This is my worry too.

I think whoever comes in we need a clear out of about 5 or 6 faces.

AneRu

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Though irrespective of who it is, they need serious backing in the market, and should be given full blessing to purge the squad of those not up to it, even our 'marketable' types.
Agree that a rebuild is needed especially remodeling our squad, we can't just keep hoarding players like we did under Ole.

We have four fullbacks, I think AWB and Shaw are preety hard to shift but we can get £30m combined for Telles, Dalot and Williams. We can then promote Laird as the more offensive alternative to AWB and buy a young talented LB for £40m. That means we'd need to invest £10m to have new fullbacks.

Midfield, we obviously need a DM but Matic and Fred (think he is more saleable than Scot and Scot has his uses), if Donny impresses at Everton they will buy him for £30m easy forcing us to buy another CM and/or promote from within. Whilst a 6 and an 8 can be useful against parked buses I am more of a fan of a DM and a driving defensive box to box CM, say Tchoumeni and Bissouma or Rice and Bissouma or Kamara and Tchoumeni - a midfield that can outrun and overpower any midfield whilst being able to play a bit to give the front four a platform. I'd favour Kamara and Tchoumeni: $60m outlay.

In forward areas I think we can motor along with Sancho, Rashford, Elanga and Amad as options for wing/wide forward positions. Even if Ronaldo was to stay I think we will need to spend big on a striker but I think it would be ideal to let Cristiano go, buy the striker and maybe look to also replace Martial using funds generated from his sale should he impress on loan. Ideally we'd need another winger or forward because Amad and Elanga are unknown quantities. This could be where the most work and investment will be needed given how things have turned out wouldn't be surprised to see us beg Cavani to stay.

So that's, by my estimation, six players needed plus a new manager. I hope to God that we'd have sorted the manager situation by the end of the season so that we know who to target and get the ball rolling.

peridigm

You think that is impressive? Check out their stats for all the competitions, including Champions League
You think that's impressive. Check out their stats for all the competitions since he took over in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.