Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire wishes
That’s very harsh on Maguire.
Got two polar opposite opinions on that one :lol:

but yeah, Blind and Maguire are of similar quality on the ball. Defensively, Blind reads the game better whilst Maguire has the obvious aerial advantage, but it's not Maguire's ability on the ball that would be worrisome for Ten Hag. It's if he doesn't cut out making so many mistakes.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

but yeah, Blind and Maguire are of similar quality on the ball. Defensively, Blind reads the game better whilst Maguire has the obvious aerial advantage, but it's not Maguire's ability on the ball that would be worrisome for Ten Hag. It's if he doesn't cut out making so many mistakes.
As similar as a bird is to a fish, sure.

AdNani

Who we thinking for his staff then?

Van Der Gaag
Meulensteen
Stam
who else? or is that all?

ti vu

Maguire is comfortable with dribbling with the ball, but Blind won hand down all everything else with possession. He can pass quickly, his passing range is better, and the quality of the pass is higher, and much more consistent.

Maguire passing game is serviceable, while Blind's is actually playmaking at the back. Blind just has too much flaw with physique and athleticism which requires his team be dominating to to be able to cover for him. In Maguire case, playing a low block, would cover him, while his ability to dribbling would become beneficial. However, giving him space, he's ordinary, even counter productive with his ball hogging habit. He doesn't have the ability to pull off difficult line breaking, side switching pass consistently.

mikeyt

DDG - Think he'll give him a season to improve his distribution

Dalot - No way the club stumps up the cash for a new RB after buying AWB not that long ago, we also won't cut our losses on him to free up the space either.

Maguire and Varane - Both underperformed this season but I think they'd both perform better under a top manager.

Shaw - Has the ability to be a good attacking wing back just needs constantly drilling.

Rice - I think he'll be the marquee signing and he fits perfectly to ETH tactics of having a fluid change between 433 and 523 with the centre back stepping into midfield.

New CM - Although Fred probably deserves a shot after being one of our better performers this season his technical ability will hold him back massively. Beyond Pogba staying we don't have a 2nd CM with technical ability.

Fernandes - Self explanatory when you read the above.

Antony - Right side has been a problem for us and it makes sense he'll want to bring in someone that knows the system to get himself and the player off to a steady start.

Sancho - Perfect player for the system no more touchline hugging, but playing in the half spaces.

Ronaldo - Ten Hag has utilised loads of different styles of striker so he should be able to get the best out of Ronaldo.

3 new signings should be the minimum we expect, obviously should be a lot more but keeping my expectations to a minimum
I think with DDG distribution is only a small part of the problem he needs to be able to command his area and communicate, something he hasn't been able to do in over 10 years here, replacing him with a goal keeper that can actually organise a defence instantly makes us better

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think with DDG distribution is only a small part of the problem he needs to be able to command his area and communicate, something he hasn't been able to do in over 10 years here, replacing him with a goal keeper that can actually organise a defence instantly makes us better
I've been saying for weeks (maybe months now) that although DDG has probably been the player of the season and has made some incredible stops, he just seems almost incapable of keeping a clean sheet. On top of this, as others point out, he does not dominate his area, barely even the six yard box. Plus he is nowhere near brave enough and I thought he was beaten a little too easily at his near post again last week. I also don't think he inspires confidence and doesn't help his defence enough - although, of course, the same could be said of them.

Look at how Ramsdale has changed Arsenal's defending, then tell me DDG does the same for us.Yes, he makes great saves but he is nowhere near the level of VdS or Peter S. I've always said he is better suited to the less combative leagues in Europe - there must be a reason he was left out of the Spain squad recently

Flexdegea

Ragknick wasn't even trusted to sign a player or two in the January transfer window. Not even on loan. His consultancy will be a joke

By the looks of things his advice is bearing fruit with the Hag appointment.

Are people still going to be beating this we haven't got a clue angle when behind the scenes their has clearly been big changes, to try and rectify the rot and make the changes that are needed to start running at a smoother pace now on the football side of things?

Deery

Dreary
Not to get carried away but this is the most exciting signing in a decade.

Merge & reason

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I feel like everything in this thread belongs in the next manager thread until it’s officially announced

Done. No ETH threads before official announcement please otherwise it’s just doubling up on existing threads

Bertie 2 Hats

I hope Erik brings with him his current assistant manager.. Van der Gaag.. who has played a key role in Ajax's defensive resilience.

RkkMan

By the looks of things his advice is bearing fruit with the Hag appointment.

Are people still going to be beating this we haven't got a clue angle when behind the scenes their has clearly been big changes, to try and rectify the rot and make the changes that are needed to start running at a smoother pace now on the football side of things?
He's bitter about Ten Hag being chosen over Poch. We're serious about hiring a Deputy DOF as well with Mitchell and the current head of Elite Performance in the Premier League on the shortlist so we're guaranteed to have ANOTHER footballing brain and we've now had reliable news that Ten Hag will be backed which isn't a shock as we always spend without CL football. Can't understand why people are excessively skeptical

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If you listen to him you that is simply not true. He, like many other United fans wanted Poch since we thougt he would be avaiable. Ever since we knew he wouldn’t be that Goldbridge has been all over Ten Hag and he isnt denying anything of that, wanting Poch first and ten Hag later.
He plays Utd fans for views and clicks. Every video has dramatic headlines to cause a stir. He's an absolute joker.

Not a proper red either. Somebody who knew him from school said he was a Forest fan for years when he was younger. Definition of a glory hunting plastic.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You'd be wrong. Ten Hag doesn't take any risks. Basically the more experienced a player the better for him.
That’s a big shame if true, we have a few lads from the academy I’d like to see given a go, would be a waste to bring a manager with no interest in playing them especially for a club like ours.

Hackman2210

Give him time = 3 years at least needed. No point turning on him once it starts to go sour which it will - he should be given the opportunty to tuen it around. Ship out Pogba, Martial and anyone else who doesnt want to be here. Mata and Matic for all theirs age related flaws actuallly look like they enjoy being at UTD. Rashford coud be sold to finance a new striker. Ronaldo, Cavanni gone off the wage bill. Henderson another £20mill sale to raise cash. Controversial I know but I can see Greenwood back next season - Im not condoning anything here but he's too good a player to let walk elsewhere. I think a long rehabilitation process running alongside his next few seasons should suffice. Interesting times at UTD for sure. Lets start walking out of the football wilderness.

Flexdegea

He's bitter about Ten Hag being chosen over Poch. We're serious about hiring a DOF as well with Mitchell and the current head of Elite Performance in the Premier League on the shortlist so we're guaranteed to have ANOTHER footballing brain and we've now had reliable news that Ten Hag will be backed which isn't a shock as we always spend without CL football. Can't understand why people are excessively skeptical

I don't get the skeptical and conspiracy nonsense lately, it's like they refusing to see what is happening in front of their eyes.

The cause is prob the damage done by woody in all but he is gone.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Give him time = 3 years at least needed. No point turning on him once it starts to go sour which it will - he should be given the opportunty to tuen it around. Ship out Pogba, Martial and anyone else who doesnt want to be here. Mata and Matic for all theirs age related flaws actuallly look like they enjoy being at UTD. Rashford coud be sold to finance a new striker. Ronaldo, Cavanni gone off the wage bill. Henderson another £20mill sale to raise cash. Controversial I know but I can see Greenwood back next season - Im not condoning anything here but he's too good a player to let walk elsewhere. I think a long rehabilitation process running alongside his next few seasons should suffice. Interesting times at UTD for sure. Lets start walking out of the football wilderness.
IF greenwood is guilty he’s done at United.
United won’t want to be associated and can’t say I blame them

Mainoldo

I don't understand

Can someone explain this tweet to me in the context that the new manager is a newborn baby and Manchester United are the parents?
Hi new manager.

We have deals to sign Harry Kane, Declain Rice and Danjuma. These are the reasons why we want them.

Happy for us to proceed?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems to make sense? Get the players lined up and if the manager likes them pull the trigger.
Yep.

The only concern I'd have is if that list is a generic list of targets they generally like rather than one compiled specifically with the new manager's style of play in mind. It shouldn't just be left up to the manager to decide who does/doesn't fit his style of play.

Rolaholic

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Seems like all the shit that Melissa Reddy was getting on here for reporting that it was close last week was incredibly unwarranted because she’s allegedly a Liverpool fan or reporter from Liverpool or some shite. Almost as if she’s a professional journalist or something?

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
His English is really poor btw...

In the Netherland almost everyone speaks fluent English.
Hell... even my 7 year old son can speak some English.

But watching Ten Hag speaks English is like watching someone take their first stab at riding a bicycle.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Seems like all the shit that Melissa Reddy was getting on here for reporting that it was close last week was incredibly unwarranted because she’s allegedly a Liverpool fan or reporter from Liverpool or some shite. Almost as if she’s a professional journalist or something?

:lol:

Corridor of Uncertainty

What a load of shit.

There's a million "professional journalists" who talk utter shit, and she's one of them. You only have to go back to yesterday with Miguel Delaney.

Status
Not open for further replies.