Next PM | #NoMoBoJo | Still hanging around like a bad smell

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I was incidentally asked to have a look at the latest TV debate for a small Italian news outlet. Knowing one thing or two about idiots pretending to be statemen and spouting c*ap, I have to say that imho the only person remotely aware of the magnitude of the issues and the task ahead is Sunak.
Truss vs Meloni (our own far-right dumwit going to win our 25/9 general election and become the next Italian PM) is going to be a classic, the well-disguised sisterhood for a common, minionic, nuklear Dystopianistan against Mad Vlad’s baddies.

Smores

I read a comment on twitter that described Truss as looking like someone who has accidently eaten an edible before an important work meeting and desperately trying to get through it.

I think it's a perfect description of her.

Simbo

Chancellor Mogg would whip the country’s finances into shape real good
I was quite open to the idea of Truss PM, cos it'll be a hilarious year or so... But Mogg will be Chancellor won't he... Oh lordi.

I think Tories always end up going with the most competent option when it comes down to it so I think Sunak will get it
This isn't the traditional Tory party though, most of those with competence were purged when Boris took power, this is the Brexit party.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If had to choose a leader between Boris, Lizzie, Rishi, and Keir I'd reluctantly with a heavy heart choose Boris. I am positive this forum has better candidates than those three being imposed on us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If had to choose a leader between Boris, Lizzie, Rishi, and Keir I'd reluctantly with a heavy heart choose Boris. I am positive this forum has better candidates than those three being imposed on us.
You’d choose Johnson over someone whose party has never even had the chance to be in power?

Sultan

You’d choose Johnson over someone whose party has never even had the chance to be in power?
Labour without Keir would be an ideal scenario. He's ideally suited for Madame Tussauds (characterless) and also too right-wing for my liking. :D

Fluctuation0161

That's surprising!

Although I expect Keir would be the most authoritarian of those choices, domestically. Which is sad to say.

MUW4Eva

Boris is literally a criminal, why would ANYONE wish to have a criminal in power??

Sultan

But you said you'd pick Johnson over Starmer? I'm very confused.
Reading back to the post that came out wrong.

With a choice purely between Truss, Sunak, and BoJo in the Conservative party. I would take the best of the worst. If Startmer remains the leader I will not vote for Labour for only the 3rd occasion in my life.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Boris is literally a criminal, why would ANYONE wish to have a criminal in power??
But.. But... He got the big calls right.... He nearly died from Covid.... He was a laugh on Have I Got News For You 20 years ago.... He says it how it is.... It was only a slice of birthday cake...

Etc

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
With a choice purely between Truss, Sunak, and BoJo in the Conservative party. I would take the best of the worst. If Startmer remains the leader I will not vote for Labour for only the 3rd occasion in my life.
Would you vote Tory? Or does that mean you'd vote Lib Dem?

I've never understood this "Labour would be worse" angle. They've not been in power for 12 years. It's like sitting in a house that's on fire and there's a house across the street. It's not visibly on fire, and you don't know what it's like inside, but you'd rather choose to sit and burn than find out what the other one is like.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance

It is this kind of attitude that will give Tories a win at the next election. Remember you are not voting for Starmer, you are voting for Labour and their approach to supporting and governing the country.

Sultan

Would you vote Tory? Or does that mean you'd vote Lib Dem?

I've never understood this "Labour would be worse" angle. They've not been in power for 12 years. It's like sitting in a house that's on fire and there's a house across the street. It's not visibly on fire, and you don't know what it's like inside, but you'd rather choose to sit and burn than find out what the other one is like.
Never voted Conservatives. I never will.

Although my life has changed 360 degrees I will never forget my roots. The only time I have not voted for Labour was when Blair turned rogue.

Sultan

It is this kind of attitude that will give Tories a win at the next election. Remember you are not voting for Starmer, you are voting for Labour and their approach to supporting and governing the country.
Leaders have a massive sway on the policies of their party. I still feel guilty when I voted for Blair during his first election. The only regret I will have is not voting for a fantastic Labour MP we have in our local constituency.

phelans shorts

Leaders have a massive sway on the policies of their party. I still feel guilty when I voted for Blair during his first election. The only regret I will have is not voting for a fantastic Labour MP we have in our local constituency.
Yeah, about the only reason I’m likely to still vote Labour in spite of the policies Keir puts forward is that I have full faith in my local MP.

The Firestarter

Never voted Conservatives. I never will.

Although my life has changed 360 degrees I will never forget my roots. The only time I have not voted for Labour was when Blair turned rogue.
360 degrees means you are right where you started. Perhaps you mean 180.

MUW4Eva

We can look forward to more of this if she becomes PM....joys....

Cloudface

But why?

What do the Conservatives offer that makes them more attractive?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I'm not voting or never have voted for the Conservatives.
But by not voting Labour because of who heads the party, I don’t quite understand what you’re trying to achieve. You’ve still, indirectly, made the conclusion that supporting labour is worse than the increased risk of a conservative government, ergo effectively supporting conservatives even if you don’t vote for them.

Sultan

But by not voting Labour because of who heads the party, I don’t quite understand what you’re trying to achieve. You’ve still, indirectly, made the conclusion that supporting labour is worse than the increased risk of a conservative government, ergo effectively supporting conservatives even if you don’t vote for them.
That question should be directed at the Labour party for making him the leader. I would be disappointed if we get another term of Conservatives but that's the unfortunate part.

RoadTrip

That question should be directed at the Labour party for making him the leader. I would be disappointed if we get another term of Conservatives but that's the unfortunate part.
Not really, it’s rightly directed to you. You might not like Kier, but you’re effectively saying you prefer a conservative government rather than a Kier led Labour government. It makes no sense at all, if your underlying beliefs are left Labour, because even a Kier led Labour Party aligns more to that than a Conservative one. So I still don’t know what you’re achieving.

Sultan

Not really, it’s rightly directed to you. You might not like Kier, but you’re effectively saying you prefer a conservative government rather than a Kier led Labour government. It makes no sense at all, if your underlying beliefs are left Labour, because even a Kier led Labour Party aligns more to that than a Conservative one. So I still don’t know what you’re achieving.
I have reasons for not agreeing with Keir and its to do with our MP who I know personally and how some on the left of the party were treated. I would rather not go into details.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I have reasons for not agreeing with Keir and its to do with our MP who I know personally and how some on the left of the party were treated. I would rather not go into details.
It is also up to a political party to come up with policies and ideas to make people vote for them, rather than criticising voters for choosing an alternative or not going to the polls. Labour has historically been far too keen to do the latter and not the former.

Sultan

It is also up to a political party to come up with policies and ideas to make people vote for them, rather than criticising voters for choosing an alternative or not going to the polls. Labour has historically been far too keen to do the latter and not the former.
Absolutely.

RoadTrip

I do understand that. And I agree. But there is a bigger picture here. Not voting will lead to a government which is even further away than what you’re looking for. That’s not to say you should flat out vote them no matter what, but it’s also not the right approach to think of it in isolation.

Tibs

I won't be voting Labour at the next election because I think Starmer is shit. If the Tories win the next election, which they probably will, then thats on the Labour leadership.